• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waanie

Waanie's Winter Adventure

Last challenge, I finished my PhD. It drained a lot of energy out of me, and I basically just survived. This challenge I don't have to do anything (I will probably start the job-hunt in January), so I can ease my way back into a more normal life again. I would like to do all the things now (all kinds of exercise, playing the clarinet a lot, visit all friends and family and having the cleanest and tidiest house on earth), but of course that is impossible. Since I have no idea how much energy I'll have every day, I will

1. Make a daily plan every day, either the evening before or in the morning

This can be a schedule, or todo-list, or a combination thereof.

Otherwise, I want to be more active again:

2. Do either yoga or BW strength training every day

3. Go outside every day

I started with BW strength training again two weeks ago, and did my workouts diligently since then. My goal is to be able to do a pull-up and a set of 5 push-ups before the end of the year.

Other things that might happen:

• Climbing (in principle twice a week)
  • Daily programming puzzles (Advent of code has started again :D)
  • Playing the clarinet
  • Cooking delicious dinners
  • Wanting, and not being able to, decluttering and cleaning my entire house and garden ;)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Yay Waanie!!! ❤️ Following of course.

❤️

Today was fairly productive:

• Strength training: did it! 3 sets of bulgarian split squats, negative pull-ups, pike push-ups, dumbbell rows, hanging knee raises and push-ups where I go down normally, and use knees to go up.
  • Played the clarinet 2x20 minutes: one session for orchestra pieces, one session for my own lessons
  • Completed today's advent of code puzzle, and made a visualisation of it:
    Spoiler

There's two wires (green and red below) written down in a weird format, and you have to find the crossings of these wires (yellow crosses).

Day3.thumb.png.b278719be8cce612b6970ba731131f1b.png

Since learning a graphical library was on my todo-list forever, I'm glad I can use this year's advent of code as nice small examples :).
  • I got groceries, and also bought bags for loose tea, so that I can organise all the tea more easily. I now also have two tea boxes, since I obviously don't need one at the university anymore, so I have a lot of freedom to come up with a system 😆.

Now it's time to cook dinner: wraps with mushrooms, carrots, lentils and almonds with a sauerkraut-based "salsa" on top.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Waanie said:

Completed today's advent of code puzzle, and made a visualisation of it

So pretty and festive too! Love it!

2 hours ago, Waanie said:

Now it's time to cook dinner: wraps with mushrooms, carrots, lentils and almonds with a sauerkraut-based "salsa" on top.

Yum I think... what is this sauerkraut-based "salsa" though?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J3NN said:

So pretty and festive too! Love it!

Yum I think... what is this sauerkraut-based "salsa" though?

Thanks! The sauerkraut "salsa" is not really a salsa, but sauerkraut mixed with yoghurt, mayonnaise and smoked paprika. It probably tastes more like a coleslaw, although I don't know how sour that usually is. The combination with the savoury of the mushrooms, lentils and nuts is perfect :).

While typing this message, I realised that my spellchecker is still on British English. Now that my PhD is completed and I don't have a British supervisor anymore, I can change it to American English like most people here :P.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Waanie said:

While typing this message, I realised that my spellchecker is still on British English. Now that my PhD is completed and I don't have a British supervisor anymore, I can change it to American English like most people here :P.

Nooooooooooooooooooo T_T Now I will be the only one with the British English

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Oh fine, I'll just leave it as it is :P. I'm not sure I could write z's anyway, I surely can't pronounce them (im)properly!

28 minutes ago, Rookie said:

You really killed it today Waanie! I am proud of you. 

Thanks! I'm glad that I did all those things, and I'm really glad that today's puzzle-picture was pretty too! It's crazy how such a small thing as a beautiful visualisation can make my day :). It also helped that my algorithm was an order of magnitude faster than my boyfriends algorithm, who's usually better at this kind of puzzles :D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Major kudos for restraining yourself from jumping into trying all the things after just getting your life back :D

10 hours ago, Waanie said:

Wanting, and not being able to, decluttering and cleaning my entire house and garden ;)

Not sure wether to laugh or cry at how relatable this is x) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, theophilus said:

Loving these goals! Always great to find another climber in the forum. 

Looks like you’re off to a great start - congrats!

Thanks! I think these goals fit well with what I want for the rest of the year, namely recovery.

Climbing has been very laid back, and not in try-hard mode, for some time now, but I want to start building up again :).

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Major kudos for restraining yourself from jumping into trying all the things after just getting your life back :D

Thanks, it's hard to not want to do all the things, but at the end of the afternoon (like right now), my energy is really gone and I start becoming negative about everything again.

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Not sure wether to laugh or cry at how relatable this is x)

I know right! I now have agreed with myself that I can keep a list of at most 5 things that I want to clean/tidy/etc, and if I feel the need to do something then I take something from that list. I will also try to be proud whenever I do something in the house that's not in my daily planning.

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

So glad you finally took that weight off your shoulders!

Enjoy the challenge!

Thanks, I'm really glad it's over, and that I actually completed the degree (so fewer questions will be asked in the future).

After solving today's advent of code puzzle and doing some yoga, I spent the rest of the day at university for a few meetings. My bike is unfortunately in a worse state than before I brought it to the repairshop; first I had a bump in my back tire, and now my tire is fine but my entire wheel is askew. I didn't have the energy to go back with it, so I will need to figure out myself how to fix it.

I'm just so negative about everything now, and especially about people who think they know what's best for me without asking, that I'm not sure how to get out of the slump. Typing/writing it out will only make it worse, so I won't do that here. I guess this is a case of trying to find sufficient distractions and hoping that tomorrow will be better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

I will also try to be proud whenever I do something in the house that's not in my daily planning.

A very good idea, and I fixed it for you. 

Lots of sleep and a little time will hopefully help with getting out of the slump.. fingers crossed anyway. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

A very good idea, and I fixed it for you.

Good idea! I'm also proud of myself that I solved this morning's programming puzzle :). After reading your thread, I decided to make a rewards account, where I can put in small amounts for tasks well done ;). The next step is to figure out how much money to put in there for various achievements.

Yesterday I made fried chicory with a mixture of dried tomato, garlic, oregano and walnuts for dinner, together with some potato croquets and sausage. The chicory with "pesto" was surprisingly tasty, and I'll keep it in mind the next time we want to eat chicory again.

This morning I solved the advent of code puzzle, which was a lot of reading and a little bit of programming. I think I cleaned up my solution well enough that I'm happy with it. Planning for today:

Spoiler

10:00 Strength training

10:30 Playing the clarinet

Afterwards: shower

Get some groceries

Lunch

13:00 Organise tea

__

Rest of the afternoon options:

• more clarinet
  • jigsaw
  • walking
  • play around with AoC visualisation

16:45 Cooking: carrot tarte tatin

__

Evening: climbing.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

That's a great idea :) and fun! 

It is fun! Although I don't know yet what to reward, and with how much. I'm thinking about a goal of approximately 1-2 euro per day, and chocolate/cookies must also be paid from this budget :P.

• Like 1

I just found out that I currently have way more tea than what fits into my tea boxes, so I filled them up and called it a day. I have almost 30 different teas in my teaboxes now, the others will come when I run out of a few of the current ones.

BW strength training felt very heavy today, even though I use very slow progressions (1 rep per exercise more per training). Especially the negative pull-ups were miserable. It might be my period and related weight-gain, hopefully next time it will feel easier again.

The good thing about my period arriving is that I currently don't feel the need to snack, as long as I eat my meals normally. Since my snacking can easily consist of a large bar of chocolate, this is a win :). Hopefully I can normalise my eating again this month, it would be nice to be a few kg lighter.

Edit: I just found out that it's really easy to make a functor (basically to implement the ()-operator) out of my python classes. I was not aware that operators could be overloaded in python, so this is cool. I'm trying to playfully learn a new bit of python every day, and this was today's new info ;).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Waanie said:

Edit: I just found out that it's really easy to make a functor (basically to implement the ()-operator) out of my python classes. I was not aware that operators could be overloaded in python, so this is cool. I'm trying to playfully learn a new bit of python every day, and this was today's new info ;).

I just love seeing you have fun with this, keep it up! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

HUGE CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR PHD!!!

THANK YOU!

2 hours ago, J3NN said:

I just love seeing you have fun with this, keep it up! :) 

It's so nice to learn more about python :). I've worked with, and taught, C++ for multiple years, so it's cool to see how other languages do things. I think that in python the easy things are really easy, but the hard stuff (class structures, and even scope) are hard in python, especially compared to C++. Learning something new about either the language or the libraries is very encouraging, while the puzzles of advent of code are very enjoyable.

The carrot tarte tatin was amazing by the way, although I shouldn't have counted the calories afterwards, as a lot of the deliciousness is coming from the feta and puff pastry :rolleyes:.

No climbing today, as my climbing partner is not feeling well and I don't feel like bouldering after doing strength training earlier today.

• Like 2

Today was a climbing day, and I started pushing myself again :). There's a few new routes in the "hard but almost doable" category, which is the category I want to do a few climbs from every time. My endurance is obviously not as good as I'd like it to be, but I wasn't disappointed by my technique at least.

Planning is a bit chaotic at the moment, mostly because I'm planning too much for a day. Apparently I cannot solve puzzles, play the clarinet, exercise and clean on the same day. At least I managed to go outside and do yoga both yesterday and today.

Dinner was a vegetarian cottage pie. I'm really surprised by the quality of mash from a package nowadays, I got the "oven" variety, and just adding some cold water gave a mash with perfect consistency for casseroles. I still don't really like cottage pie, but this variety was low effort and more tasty than the ones I had before, so this recipe can stay ;).

• Like 5

Time to start the challenge!

This morning started well with making a planning, solving the advent of code puzzle and doing yoga. Debugging the puzzle took longer than it should have, mainly because I didn't read carefully enough (and it was early morning :P).

My cat decided that the yoga mat was hers, but fortunately she was not fierce enough to successfully defend it:

M332Hfw.jpg?1

She did of course reclaim it  after I finished yoga, and before I rolled it up again.

I also made a checklist in my notebook for the entire week, as physical check-marks feel more satisfying than just the digital ones ;).

• Like 3

Why oh why is it so hard to find delicious recipes without any garlic in it? I want to be social for orchestra rehearsal tonight, but also want tasty food...

Edit: I'll just make couscous with green beans, bell peppers, an egg and almonds tonight. It would still have been better with garlic, but is acceptable without.

• Like 1

Congratulations on finishing your PHD! (I can't remember if I said that already or not, so if I did, extra congratulations!)

I'm looking forward to joining you for a job search prep month :)

On 12/3/2019 at 12:20 PM, Rookie said:

I'm in the British English crowd, too, though admittedly, I'm largely absent :P

13 hours ago, Waanie said:

My cat decided that the yoga mat was hers, but fortunately she was not fierce enough to successfully defend it:

She did of course reclaim it  after I finished yoga, and before I rolled it up again.

😂Your cat is a cutie! I hope the yoga mat battles always go in your favour!

• Like 2