• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Quadzilla won’t be happening, but I’m too addled on NyQuil to come up with a new theme.  

This training block was supposed to be about building quads of heroic proportions, however I’ve been nursing Ebola (or perhaps a minor chest cold) and tendinitis for a couple of weeks now.  I don’t know what the heck I’ll be doing even if I ever do get healthy. 

I’m continuing to diet, but with my greatly decreased activity my weight is ooching up.  So I have the worst of both worlds, constant hunger and increasing fat.  *sigh*

Since we’re mixing and mingling this challenge and there may be new folks about, here’s a bit about me:

• I love bullet points

• I’ve been around NF forever, almost as long as @Elastigirl

• I’m in my second half-century

• I’m not as fast as I used to be

• I’m 100% slow-twitch (hence the name) so I never was fast anyway

• I teach sixth grade science in a city public school, I’m adequate 

• I have a better wife and kids than I deserve

• In the summer I love to do marathon mountain bike races

• In the winter I like to do nothing

• Those last two facts are incompatible 

• I like working out with kettlebells, sandbags, and sledgehammers. Also battle ropes, but I don’t have one

• I seem to witness or experience more than my fair share of minor odd events 

• we foster sad-sack dogs and get them adoptable

• I don’t like the challenge system and instead tend to write about any of the above items, plus glutes and tacos. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

Goals?!? GOALS!!! I DON’T NEED NO STINKIN’ GOALS!

My carefully crafted training blocks that went from the first to the last day of school seem to be out the window. I dunno, be less fat, be a bit stronger, get back on the bike a little bit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

• we foster sad-sack dogs and get them adoptable

I need you to know one of my greater joys in everyday life is stumbling upon a description of your newest sad-sack dog, they are always so perfect, so real, and I LOVE IT.

Also hello :DDD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This training block was supposed to be about building quads of heroic proportions, however I’ve been nursing Ebola (or perhaps a minor chest cold) and tendinitis for a couple of weeks now.

Just want to point out that I'm pretty sure the tendonitis is in your elbow. Please don't deny your quads at a chance of awesomeness  on account of that 🙂

But the Ebola could be a problem.

• In the winter I like to do nothing

Honestly, same. In the winter I just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book. If only my physical fitness got as much out of reading as my mind does...

• I don’t like the challenge system and instead tend to write about any of the above items, plus glutes and tacos. 

Here for the tacos!

giphy.gif

• I am sorry you are struggling with ebola and tendinitis. Both of these things suck.

• I love everything about your bullet point intro.

• "... marathon mountain bike races" and "kettlebells, sandbags, and sledgehammers. Also battle ropes..." and "...plus glutes and tacos" are of particular interest to me. You are describing my perfect weekend.

22 hours ago, shaar said:

I need you to know one of my greater joys in everyday life is stumbling upon a description of your newest sad-sack dog, they are always so perfect, so real, and I LOVE IT.

Also hello :DDD

Oh no.  That’s too much pressure to report on the sad-sack dogs.  MUSTNOTLETSHAARDOWN!!

21 hours ago, h3r0 said:

You had me at quads

You, I like. 

21 hours ago, Xena said:

Just want to point out that I'm pretty sure the tendonitis is in your elbow. Please don't deny your quads at a chance of awesomeness  on account of that 🙂

But the Ebola could be a problem.

The Ebola is killing me. I googled “why won’t my cold go away” and the first hit simply said “Lung Cancer”.   I stopped there.  

The tendinitis gets really grumpy when I pick up a KB or the trap bar.  I’ll figure something out though. 

21 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Honestly, same. In the winter I just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book. If only my physical fitness got as much out of reading as my mind does...

Here for the tacos!

Tacos are the best.  I read garbage mostly, my mind doesn’t improve either.  

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! 

It’s always nice to see you ‘round these parts brother.  

8 hours ago, OTTO said:

giphy.gif

• "... marathon mountain bike races" and "kettlebells, sandbags, and sledgehammers. Also battle ropes..." and "...plus glutes and tacos" are of particular interest to me. You are describing my perfect weekend.

I love that gif.  That sums me up so well.  

I feel like like we could get along. Glad to meetchya.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The Ebola is killing me. I googled “why won’t my cold go away” and the first hit simply said “Lung Cancer”.   I stopped there.  

It may be time for a steroid if it has been lingering on like you say. 

12/4/19 Wednesday

The sad sack dog of the month spent his first week crouching, and whimpering, and hiding from us.  He has now decided that I’m ok.  Now he wants to be a Velcro dog and is always underfoot.  Except when I turn around to look at him he bolts like a bat out of Hell to his dog bed. 

That’s good progress, except now that he’s experienced people he never wants to be alone.  I have to take him in the bathroom with me or he howls.  Last night he barked all night long. Eventually I stumbled onto his dog bed and passed out next to him just so some of us could sleep. That’s taking one for the team.  

At school a student stole stole my computer at the end of third hour.  I was logged in.  During 4th hour she emailed at least one teacher from my account with a simple message, “Fuck you bitch.”   I got a call about that, it really narrowed down the suspects.  I found the computer in the first locker I checked.  She ‘fessed up to taking my computer, but not to using my email. Apparently she was trying to change her grades.  Considering her grade is currently 4%, there’s a solid chance I’d have noticed the change. 

I’d spoiler this, but y’all would read it anyway.  Some back story - 15 years ago we had a preemie who didn’t survive (Betsy, she’d probably insist on Elizabeth now).  That first year I couldn’t cope with Christmas and bought her everything I would have anyway and dropped it off at a crisis nursery.  

All these years later I can’t start Christmas until and unless I buy her presents.  Slothgirl and I bought a bunch of D&D Essentials games/ kits.  

Sunday I was going to go to a bike race/ toy drive and would have dropped them off. I figured I had a pretty good chance of podiuming, even sickly, because it was too damn cold for sensible folks.  But they got like a foot of snow and cancelled the race.  

Tonight, after the kid’s circus class, I’m off to the the sponsoring shop.  They’re having a toy drive with free beer, pizza, live music, and a fat bike course.  Really, pretty much all of my favorite things. I’m as excited as I get, you can almost see a smile on my face.  

Well, that was a long, rambley update for a day without fitnessing.  Thanks for reading along nerd friends.  

• Like 18

Tacos are the best.  I read garbage mostly, my mind doesn’t improve either.  

Well, if you read non-fiction you learn new stuff, and I remember reading somewhere that reading fiction helps improve empathy and a better understanding of how to relate to people, so you gain that if you prefer fiction.

• Like 3

All these years later I can’t start Christmas until and unless I buy her presents.

It's a lovely tradition, and pretty special that you include the other slothlings.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I love bullet points

Does this help with the adhd paying attention? Or making it neat.

But the bullet points helped me make sense of things.... 

You may not have the specific goals, but you do have your Why stronger than ever.

May the sick body get better!!!

Thanks for sharing your story on a Elizabeth, gave me a different world perception I needed.

• Like 1

Here to support another teacher as we all try to get to Christmas break alive.  I chose to write a research paper with my 9th on level kids in the 3 weeks before Christmas...I must have lost my mind.  

• Like 3

I was gonna come and comment on your changed threat title (I like it) but then you went and made me cry. But not in an entirely bad way I suppose, so 😘

• Like 2

Sad-sack dogs... that's smart.

My Mom worked for a pet rescue thingy when I was in high school. Imagine coming home and needing to take a leak so you open the bathroom door and the first thing you see is a large, rottweiler-esque dog growling at you.*

Sad-sack dogs... that's smart.

*Our family actually adopted this dog as our own a few months later, and she was one of the sweetest, lovable, and playful dogs evar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I feel like like we could get along. Glad to meetchya.  

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

All these years later I can’t start Christmas until and unless I buy her presents.  Slothgirl and I bought a bunch of D&D Essentials games/ kits.  

That's a beautiful tradition, and an awesome choice of present. You're gonna make some nerdling very happy in her honor.

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sunday I was going to go to a bike race/ toy drive and would have dropped them off. I figured I had a pretty good chance of podiuming, even sickly, because it was too damn cold for sensible folks.  But they got like a foot of snow and cancelled the race.  

This brings up the need to ask an incredibly important question... what do you ride?  Here's my baby (not my photo):

IMG_6496.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s good progress, except now that he’s experienced people he never wants to be alone.  I have to take him in the bathroom with me or he howls.  Last night he barked all night long. Eventually I stumbled onto his dog bed and passed out next to him just so some of us could sleep. That’s taking one for the team.  

This dog is egregious and thus far gets a 5/10 rating. SHAPE UP SACK-PUPPER JEEZ.

Before I was born, my parents had a beagle that wouldn't shut up 24/7 with the bowowow so one night they gave it some Sominex to sleep it through the night, it worked, but probably v. much not recommended.  Benadryl however is a decent standby to chill out a hyped up animal!

Agreeing with others, that is a lovely Christmas tradition. ❤️❤️ 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

All these years later I can’t start Christmas until and unless I buy her presents.

That is one of the sweetest things I've ever read my friend.  Keep up the good human-ing. 

• Like 1