DaemonCorax doesn't go on vacation

So last challenge went moderately well. A quick recap:

The goals were simple:

1. The What: Regain the ability to do a strict pull-up by December.

Nope. Totally can't do this yet. But I DID start leading in the gym (2 days of it) last week. This means hanging out on my shoulder a bunch more while clipping the rope into quickdraws - awesome shoulder training. MFH and I can't do this with kiddo in tow without another adult, but it was good to get back too it. I'm leading about as hard as I was pre-pregnancy. Down on power, up on mental fortitude.

2. The What: No snacking. The oatmeal for breakfast has totally saved me here.

3. The What: Ride to work at least once a week. This happened except for last week. When we got a foot of snow. So yeah.

4. The What: Balance. This is tough. I'm starting a new project in January. I've been on call at night since October, and that has meant I've had the freedom to play fast and loose with my hours a bit. Now I'm going to need to either squeeze another hour or so into the work day or tell my boss to cut my pay and put me at 80%. There's a lot of lab work in the new project, which is fun, but will likely make the baby-feeding-hardware-wizardry segment of my work day even harder. I saved less this month because MFH has less work right now (auto mechanic, winter). I'm watching our bank account a little more closely. We're about to pay out our portion of the house repairs.

I've been reading financial blogs recently. This guy (link below) is not realistic for us, or a lot of people, but his point that you save money $10 at a time and it adds up is something I'm trying to be mindful of in this special environment of parenthood+holiday advertising that we're in right now.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

I think, in keeping with his ideas, I'm going to shoot for us cutting our savings rate this winter and paying off our 2nd car by March instead. This way, when we take the leap and buy an electric cargo bike in the spring, we won't be just lumping debt on top of debt, we'll have room to pay for it too. One might ask "why are you spending ~$4k on the electric cargo bike when you're feeling very financially conservative?" Well, frankly, it will enrich our lives every single day because it will let MFH bike commute again and allow the two of us to live on our bikes the way we did pre-kid in a way that a trailer just won't. I will pull LR in the trailer, sure, but MFH's commute is too long to ride regularly and put in a full day's work. The e-bike will allow him to do daycare drop off, ride to work, work, ride home, and not be a dead tired useless thing. Our second car was $6k last September. I need to look at how much we still owe on it (it's MFH's car technically.) I own my car outright. The bike will also reduce our spending on gas - our staggered work schedule means we don't carpool. My car only gets about 18 mpg, and MFH's gets around 28 mpg. Biking increases our effective mpg greatly without buying a newer vehicle that require more expensive registration, insurance, maintenance, you name it.

I should just admit that diving into financial nerdery is a way of hiding from my work-life balance stress.

Holiday challenge:

We're going back to DC for a week around Christmas. This is the "not going on vacation" part of things. The actual flying part is the least of the problem. We're staying first w my folks, then w MFH's aunt. We have to wrangle sleeping and food arrangements for LR interleaved with way too many relatives. We're not doing this next year I think. MFH's grandmother is the reason we're going this year. Sigh. However, by cramming the trip into a week, we have a weekend and NYE/NYD on either side to decompress at home.

Goals: Really it's just about stress management and sliding in opportunities to play in the snow or in the gym whenever possible. Last week was SO nice for this. I'm going to try to log things here to remind myself of these priorities and not get sucked into the spiraling stress land that is the holidays plus the oncoming train of new work project.

Haven't got a theme yet. We'll see who I choose as my sidekick/them character.

• Like 5

Current challenge:This is not how daemoncorax used to wake up

Previous challenges: DaemonCorax doesn't go on vacation

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

While we have to stay away from the desert, we can always ride our bikes.

Yeah we basically lived on our bikes when we lived in town. Fast foward to spring 2018, we moved out a bit, to an area I used to live in. My bike commute is great, 8.5 mi and really pretty. MFH's is 14.5 mi, and his job is more physical, so the time+energy equation just doesn't work for bike commuting daily anymore. With the e-bike, we can both go back to living on our bikes. LR is getting head stability and will be able to travel by trailer or Yepp seat in the spring. It will obviously greatly decrease our gas spending and the wear and tear on our cars. My car gets bad gas mileage, is 20 yo, and would be really hard to replace if anything happened to it -it's a bit of a unicorn. It's also our roadtrip car - MFH and I used to sleep in it and go on the road for a week or two no problem. With kiddo in town, it's the best way to travel with crash pads, camping gear, etc. It's our "trailhead vehicle", with all the necessary capabilities to go pretty much anywhere we want (which, let's face it, is mostly out of the way parts of the Western Colorado and Utah desert). Getting away from driving it during the week and just having one of us driving MFH's car (the 12 yo sedan) a couple days a week would be great. This is totally possible too. My threshold for not riding is generally informed by ice, winds over 35 mph, and with kiddo in tow, maybe some colder temperatures.

So this spring we're hoping to get one of these (and because of our bike coop hookup, we can get it for a lot less than retail)

bigeasy_14-min-min.jpg

https://surlybikes.com/blog/make_it_your_own_the_kid_haulin_and_kite_flyin_big_easy

So yeah. Financial nerdery commences. I think we'll pay off MFH's car soon. Our emergency fund will take a sizeable hit, but I know I have (1) a retirement account, (2) probably a tax refund and (3) a very low chance of losing my job in the next 6 mo, so all is well. MFH's job is solid too, it just fluctuates a bit seasonally. We have some old debt (a student loan, the car, etc, maybe $10-15k total) that is artificially raising our cost of living, so it's worth it to kill it off and delay expanding the emergency fund.

• Like 4

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

On 12/6/2019 at 10:01 PM, Defining said:

If there are any available in your local market, I'd check out a front-loader cargo bike option as well. Personally, I find them much more comfortable to maneuver.

Yeah I borrowed one of these from a friend a few years ago and enjoyed it. However, the long tail rides more like a normal bike. MFH's commute will involve dropping LR close to the house and then riding 14 mi in to work. It will be infinitely more enjoyable for him on a long tail. Neither of us is a super huge fan of the laid back riding position on most box bikes, and while having two 26" wheels is considered outdated in some kid-hauling circles (becuase the weight is higher), we think long term that the Surly will grow with us better. It is a more versatile cargo bike, will still be a great tool 10 years down the line, and fits in the garage. Also, because we can get the Surly for about $3500 plus accessories but including the Bosch motor, it's hard to argue for anything else. We're probably going to kit it out with a nice stem and wide bars (our mtn bikes are 29+), and it will ride more like my Krampus or MFH's Niner ROS9+ than a city bike. For the distances we're covering, I think it will be more comfortable. LR will start out with a Yepp seat, and I also have a trailer that I will use to pick him up in the afternoon. My commute is only 8.5 mi and my job is less physical, so I'm sticking w/ my road-ish bikes.

Box bikes ARE totally rad, it's just not quite the right tool for us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok so it's officially week 1. I still don't have a theme.

Logging: We went to the gym Saturday morning. MFH has been working on a nasty throat that seems to be steady state but is trying to take me out too. Weirdly I had a whole lot of midline and lower belly pain later in the day. I think I sat down on the couch with a baby on my lap and my core locked up. Pre-baby this would not have been a thing but I suspect between scar tissue and magical central-connective-tissue that still knitting tighter around my belly button, this are still in flux. Ow. This has happened a couple times before. Most notably I was spending a lot of time in the bouldering cave trying to cut feet and then bring a foot back to a particular hold in a controlled way. This is definitely a pretty core intensive motion.

Sunday we took it easy, but I probably walked a couple miles w LR in his front carrier doing my Christmas shopping. We had family photos taken and the request of grandparents on Friday, but there were still a bunch of other small gifts to buy. I came in under my expected budget though, so that's nice.

Some basic math on irs.gov says that I over-withheld this year. That's also nice. Debt repayment, here we come.

I'm hoping to ride a day or two this week, depending on sleep. LR's sleep has been disorganized recently, and his behavior over dinner last night and breakfast this morning have me suspecting teeth.

• Like 3

Week 1, Day 2. Woke up to excruciating wrist pain and clicking. Yes, clicking. The cortisone shots I got in my wrists a couple months ago worked great, but then I got sick and slept on my hands funny and the whole cycle started again. (Some combination of pregnancy hormones and genetics has caused the tendon sheath for my thumbs tendons to develop a hellish condition called tenosynovitis.) Ran my hands under hot water, retaped my wrists, and took a LOT of Tylenol. The amusing thing is that they don't hurt climbing, just doing everything else.

We ARE hoping to go to the gym this evening. There's a La Sportiva shoe demo. I kinda want a pair of "gym shoes." My 5.10 mocs are originals (from before they got bought by adidas), so I don't want to destroy them in the gym. And my high-tops are a pain to take on and off, which is a nice thing to do when your climbs are interspersed with baby wrangling. I can pro-deal La Sportiva shoes. I've told myself if the credit card bill is <$400 this month, I will allow shoes. I also have a pair of old Scarpas that I think I'm going to try showering in to see if they soften up. There a certain amount of sweat and resoles after which a pair of climbing shoes just gets crusty and rigid and, in this case, pretty uncomfortable. Anyway, it's something to look forward to even if I don't pull the trigger any time soon. Nerdery to relieve stress.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kat on the Run said:

Hope everything heals soon

It's not likely to every REALLY heal until I'm done carrying around small humans. I also can't have the surgery until I'm done carrying around small humans. So I'm going to be managing it for at least another 3 years if we have kid 2 as is currently fuzzily planned.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, KB Girl said:

Wish we could make the dudes pregnant. 

No. Kidding. Lol.

So the wrists are doing a bit better - turns out if I compress the heck out of them with K Tape and climbing tape, the tendon sheath CAN'T get inflamed and therefore doesn't hurt. Since recurring cortisone shots aren't healthy and I can't have the surgery anytime soon (and it carries a few risks too), this is going to be my MO. And Tylenol. I think I've taken more Tylenol this year (between this and c section recovery) than in my entire adult life. I didn't even used to have the stuff in the house because I figured if something hurt from an injury I shouldn't cover the sensation up and risk injuring myself more. Well, when the sensation is because there's fluid collecting in the tendon sheath in your wrist in the middle of the night, bring on the drugs! Oh dear.

Anyway. We made it to the gym for a bit yesterday and I got in some bouldering. I'd been wearing some soft slip-on climbing shoes - a pair of old 5.10 mocs - and yesterday I wore my stiffer, thicker high tops - a pair of Butora Alturas. So the Butoras are literally the shoes that I always climbin outisde, especially crack climbing. They're great. But this pair just got resoled with the very-stiff "Edge" rubber. I used to resole my Butoras with softer, less durable, tackier "Grip" rubber. I brought the Butoras to the gym becuase the 5.10s are about to need a resole and since adidas bought 5.10 and started messing with their quality, they're basically irreplaceable. tldr: I don't want to kill my mocs. The point of all this shoe nerding is this though: getting my feet to stick and work for me on overhanging cave boulder problems with plastic holds is HARD!! It's funny because there are some camps that will tell you that a soft shoes requires more precise footwork. This may be true, but a thick stiff shoe requires more force. That was quite a humbling experience.

Five-Ten-Mens-Anasazi-Moccasym-Climbing-

This is the 5.10 moc. I bought mine second hand for $45 and have custom extra rubber on the top of the foot for thin cracks. There only two pairs like this in Colorado.

https://climbthatrock.com/five-ten-anasazi-moccasym-climbing-shoe-review/

RegandWideButora.jpg?w=1193&ssl=1

I've owned the green (wide) and orange Butoras. My green ones I got 5 resoles out of before I cracked the midsole and Butora asked to have them back! I love these shoes, but next time I'm resoling them in my tried and true "Grip" sticky rubber. (There's some good reasons for this. For examples La Sportiva puts Grip on all their women's shoes and Edge on their men's shoes because lighter climbers can use the extra smushiness of the Grip without destroying it too too fast. For the wide crack climbing I used to do, I resoled my Grip soles at an alarming rate, but for any face climbing and smearing it seems like a better material for me.)

https://blacksheepadventuresports.com/2017/05/26/review-butora-altura-rock-shoe/

We spend so much time in the gym now I'm considering buying some velcro soft-ish high performance shoes. But in the meantime this rude awakening will only make me stronger.

Man, I wish my body was better at building lats.

On a darker note, there are a lot of people around me, apparently, at work AND at the gym who are having babies soon or are trying to. When people talk about birth I sort of dance around the edges of our experience verbally, but it brings up huge huge emotions for me. Definitely bawled my eyes out last night because it seems like I can never stop remembering all the scary painful stuff that happened.

So there we go. Climbing shoe nerding and financial nerding as a bandaid for everything else.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:31 PM, DaemonCorax said:

I should just admit that diving into financial nerdery is a way of hiding from my work-life balance stress.

I relate to this statement on a deeply personal level...and as an accountant approve of this nerdery

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Friday, the grumbling continues. LR slept really well last night. I didn't. More wrist paint. Large dose of Tylenol at midnight, splints, couldn't sleep for another hour. Large dose of ibuprofen this morning and new tape on the wrists. The tendon for my right thumb was actually clicking last night.

I had really really really wanted to ride this week. The lack of cardio, quiet time to myself (driving doesn't count), and wonderful endorphins is making all this much worse. My whole body feels stiff and stuck. But I was such a massive zombie yesterday due to lack of sleep, and I didn't sleep well last night. So there's a vicious circle - I'm stressed and things hurt, and now its effecting my sleep, so I'm not riding, which I know would make me feel better. But I don't think I have the energy right now for the ride back home. And feeding LR has been a bit rocky, so I don't want to get dehydrated and make it worse.

Hopefully we're going cross country skiing tomorrow and that will alleviate some of this massive grouchiness.

• Like 1

Second morning update:

Tried for a couple of office sun salutations to cheer myself up. Hurt my right thumb/wrist but not my left. The sneaky part was that upward dog shows me very clearly that my lower abs are very tight and some (rectus abdominis?) is yanking mightily in the space between my belly button and my still-5"-long scar.

il_1588xN.1823296196_g2gr.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaemonCorax said:

The lack of cardio, quiet time to myself (driving doesn't count), and wonderful endorphins is making all this much worse. My whole body feels stiff and stuck. But I was such a massive zombie yesterday due to lack of sleep, and I didn't sleep well last night. So there's a vicious circle - I'm stressed and things hurt, and now its effecting my sleep, so I'm not riding, which I know would make me feel better. But I don't think I have the energy right now for the ride back home. And feeding LR has been a bit rocky, so I don't want to get dehydrated and make it worse.

Uh oh. That's not awesome. I have a (potentially bad) idea: what if you were to do a short ride, pushing through the fatigue a bit, which may in turn help with the sleep again?

When is it time to go chat with the doc again about your wrist? Does it typically cycle like this, or do you just think it's flaring up because you're stressed & tired?

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

1 hour ago, Defining said:

When is it time to go chat with the doc again about your wrist?

There isn't. I didn't have this problem until I had LR. Then it started hurting around August. I went and saw the orthopedist who had removed a ganglion cyst from my left wrist in 2014 and he gave me cortisone shots. The next step is surgery if it doesn't go away. The only way to make it go away is to rest it (ha!), and support it (tape and splints) and take NSAIDs. The first round of shot was great, but then I slept funny the weekend we had the a stomach bug and it hasn't been the same since.

I don't really have time to ride recreationally during the week - but the commute is only about 10 min longer by bike (plus a very fast clothing change), so that's where I can get my weekday riding. But then I have to ride home too. Normally 17 mi in a day is no biggie, but I'm so so sleep deprived. I was doing 40-50 mi weekend rides a couple months ago, so a shorter ride isn't really going to get me anything anyway except more frustration. Skiing tomorrow should help.

• Like 1

Well I really dropped off the map there. Sorry guys. LR got a wicked cold. He had a fever Sunday night, Monday night, Tuesday too maybe? I stayed home Tues-Thurs and MFH is home with him today. He's going a lot better today, but it would be bad to slow down his improvement by sending him back to daycare too early. I was able to run measurements in the lab from home, so THAT's all ok.

We haven't really gotten any workouts in since the weekend. The weekend was pretty good though. Got some awesome skiing in Saturday - just 4 mi round trip, but we were towing the tiny one. MFH towed him more than I did, but it went really well. Also, oddly enough, skiing not pregnant is way more fun. We skiied this wide road so we had lots of space to manage the trailer. It was snowing pretty heavily, which was awesome. LR loves the trailer. Slept all the way up and then giggled at people who stopped to see the rig on the way down.

Sunday we went to the gym for a bit. We had a friend with us to rotate belaying, which was nice. My wrists bothered me on a hard route (11b) route though, which is new. I've been using my splints at night. They smell like feet no matter how many times I wash them. Ugh.

There were some psychologically rough things about staying home. Wednesday I made the mistake of watching an episode of Modern Love that deals with some major mental illness. I'm not where the character is, but ouch.

Monday we fly east for Christmas. I am not looking forward to  how busy it will feel. Hopefully LR is well enough to ski tomorrow and come to the gym with us Sunday.

• Like 2

Hope you have a good Christmas despite all the hassle! 

On 12/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, DaemonCorax said:

On a darker note, there are a lot of people around me, apparently, at work AND at the gym who are having babies soon or are trying to. When people talk about birth I sort of dance around the edges of our experience verbally, but it brings up huge huge emotions for me. Definitely bawled my eyes out last night because it seems like I can never stop remembering all the scary painful stuff that happened.

Maybe it'd be worth looking into some PTSD therapy? You're never going to stop remembering, but there are techniques that might make them less horrible.. it worked for me after a traumatic experience. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram