• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

analoggirl

Read, sleep and stretch

So, last challenge I (apparently) took a bit too much on my plate for the beginning of winter and being in the middle of a course period.

Not going to beat myself up for it, because that's time spent on not-becoming/being-awesome.

A small introduction.

* I am a university student right now (law), and I know we should not identify with what "we are doing" but that is most of my life right now. With great power (flexible schedule) comes great responsibility (which I do not always own up to).

* Although I love learning new things, and deepening my knowledge about other things,  I will be glad to be done with uni administrational shenanigans & exam-related deadlines in 2020.

* In the beginning of my NF journey, I started out with the monks. Stayed with the 'rebels'. Switched to the assassins. Was planning to go to the druids this challenge, before I knew we'd all be mingling which I think is a fun idea!

* I like bodyweight workouts, spinning, swimming. (In the last year of high school I started my general fitness journey with yoga and body weight workouts with the occasional kettle bell workout... I like the idea of lifting, but am not sure I will be able to keep myself entertained if I get a gym membership)

* I want to experiment with intermittent fasting, although for now I am happy to just not eat past 7PM and make sure I eat what my body need between the moment I wake up and that time stamp.

*I used to do cold water challenges a while back (one before I started NF, and a couple in 2017) but I have become softer lately. :D 

* Next year I want to get (at least moderately) flexible, and learn how to rollerskate. 

My challenge for the coming three weeks will be:

*Eat well.

Try to snack only once or twice a day. (It's better for your teeth, too.) no strict rules, although I have a pretty regular regimen lately. Mostly sandwiches and veggies and fruit... The occasional warm meal.

*Drink water!

AGAIN, I stopped drinking water well, even when I am not travelling. (Travelling makes drinking water well impractical because of bathroom + big bags and no-one to watch them reasons...)

*Measure my Flexibility Benchmarks (10/10 done)

*Do my fyisio exercises for my ankles + warm-up + yoga/another stretch routine every day (11/21)

*Do my AM/PM routines again (not going to log)

*Make sure I have something to look forward to at the end of a "work" day.

*Finish reading a book. (I have one particular in mind, but any is good.) (1/1)

• Like 7

18 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I am a university student right now (law), and I know we should not identify with what "we are doing" but that is most of my life right now.

I think that's reasonable. It explains a lot about some types of goals you might have and demands on your time.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:28 PM, Manarelle said:

Do tell? :) Following.

Agatha Christie's The mirror crack'd from side to side :)

Another contender is a non-fiction book by Tim Ferris (4-hour work week).

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 4:46 PM, Jupiter said:

Great goals! Following along. :)

Glad to have you!

On 12/6/2019 at 5:23 AM, Xena said:

I think that's reasonable. It explains a lot about some types of goals you might have and demands on your time.

Fair enough :D

On 12/6/2019 at 11:48 PM, Kishi said:

Think I'll tag along if that's all right. :)

Of course!

• Like 2

Did the rest of the benchmark measurements last night!  Excited. 

Friday night concluded a series of finally meeting up regularly with my DnD campaign. Absolutely love spending time with these people, and the DM comes up with these quests that are just on the border of not being able to deal with. Granted most of us are constantly being silly while thinking about how to handle the situation. And before you know it, we have looked at shiny things so long that the enemy has taken its steps to push us in a corner!

We keep doubting that we are running away too much but afterwards he says "well I figured you would be smart enough to surrender" or so haha. 

As I used to always be the cleric while video gaming in the past , in 2016 I made a monk with another group and just kept it as she was still level 1 when we stopped meeting up. (Part of them were members to a student association that got into way too much drama that was discussed in the off times for me to want to make time for them anyway.)

I am soooort of itching to try out a more traditional class but we have just to level 5 and I do not want to start over :D Maybe next time she almost dies on me when I choose to dive in (although we have only 1 real tank and the rest need protecting). 

aaalright. Time to get some work done now!

• Like 4

Tuesday and Wednesday were late nights, finishing assignment 1, no stretchiness.

I hope I can convince myself to do SOME of the exercises around 8pm today because it is going to be a late night again probably. And I do not want to do anything before going to bed late  😛

• Like 2

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Tuesday and Wednesday were late nights, finishing assignment 1, no stretchiness.

I hope I can convince myself to do SOME of the exercises around 8pm today because it is going to be a late night again probably. And I do not want to do anything before going to bed late  😛

I BELIEVEEE.

5 hours ago, raptron said:

I BELIEVEEE.

Unfortunately... 

I guess I will do one routine before noon and one in the evening tomorrow to make up for it :D I will not count it in de 21 number, nor is it how stretch progress works but I will just to remind myself how good it feels to get out of Desk Asana :')

also, assignment two is pretty much done! Just have to hand it in tomorrow after checking it with fresh eyes and then prepping the presentation for Monday woohoo

PS notice how I conveniently avoid the topic of eating well and drinking h2o? Well I have been eating an unusually excessive amount of unhealthy snacks. So much so that my skin is angry at me, together with literally burning glares from my stomache. Tomorrow will be filled with lots of veggies fruit and water again though. I need it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I guess I will do one routine before noon and one in the evening tomorrow to make up for it :D I will not count it in de 21 number, nor is it how stretch progress works but I will just to remind myself how good it feels to get out of Desk Asana :')

IT DOES. :D

15 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Tomorrow will be filled with lots of veggies fruit and water again though. I need it.

Enjoyyy!

• Like 1

Consequences! They aren't great, but you can live through them. And hey, it's the weekend; even if you don't necessarily get to take it off you hopefully get to pace yourself differently. :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, raptron said:

Enjoyyy!

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Consequences! They aren't great, but you can live through them. And hey, it's the weekend; even if you don't necessarily get to take it off you hopefully get to pace yourself differently. :)

True!

On 12/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, TiogaGirl said:

Following because even the title of this challenge makes me happy! Good goals!

Glad to hear!

Sooo today was not exactly FILLED with fruits and veggies, but I did get the recommended amount of fruit in, an acceptable amount of paprika & "only one" sugary treat. Also plenty of water. And more movement than I have gotten the last days, went out to the little local mall, so stretching could not really happen after I turned in my assignment but I definitely am going to do it in a bit. Feeling much better.

I will bring back a semblence of order in my room and maybe the kitchen, make a plan for this weekend, maybe even for Monday and Tuesday, stretch for 30 minutes, get ready for bed and read.

• Like 3

Yesterday I "only" did three sun salutations which is more than the past couple of weeks. Today I did three sun salutations, 5 squats and 5 jumping jacks as a warm-up, then the stretches for the day 1 benchmarks.

It felt surprisingly good. My shoulders and neck thank me.

Also did not eat past seven again. Although I am not proud of my breakfast and lunch, I had quite the healthy dinner, and a piece of fruit instead of other snacks. Also did an adulting task and started with my course work for next week. Woohoo. 

Going to drink my fresh ginger & honey tea and go to bed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Yesterday I "only" did three sun salutations which is more than the past couple of weeks. Today I did three sun salutations, 5 squats and 5 jumping jacks as a warm-up, then the stretches for the day 1 benchmarks.

It felt surprisingly good. My shoulders and neck thank me.

Also did not eat past seven again. Although I am not proud of my breakfast and lunch, I had quite the healthy dinner, and a piece of fruit instead of other snacks. Also did an adulting task and started with my course work for next week. Woohoo. 

Going to drink my fresh ginger & honey tea and go to bed.

Nice job!

Image result for good job gifs

• Thanks 1

Train of thought: I feel like it is almost rewarding to not maintain a regular stretch routine. It feels so good to start stretching again after a long time of not maintained one, and when you want to get *more* flexible it only hurts before you get to see the awesomeness of the effort. And the other benefit is something you do NOT see at all, namely NOT getting injuries as fast as someone who is stiff.

Anyway, more stretching and less philosophising. Last night I was in bed (way too late) before I realised I had not done anything stretchy.

• Like 2

Could not sleep last night so I finished my 1 book for this challenge (the Agatha Christie one). 

Also felt progress yesterday with how my body moves during the sun salutations. Though I am usually not doing the targeted flexibility exercises. Just whatever feels good & usually right before bed. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, analoggirl said:

Also felt progress yesterday with how my body moves during the sun salutations. Though I am usually not doing the targeted flexibility exercises. Just whatever feels good & usually right before bed. 

Still counts as being stretchy. I have a stretch routine because it works for me and there are a few I'd like to specifically make progress in. If doing things unscripted works for you, then rock it.

• Like 1

Well, I hope tonight lets me finish strong stretching for the rest of the challenge. I had a small stretch routine, pretending I had a barre and putting alternating legs on it.

I guess pushing my phone usage down ate some of my willpower points up.  Moreover, I have really gone ahead and gotten my sleep these days.

Last night I slept 10-11 hours. Guess that is why it is midnight and I feel fine but I am hitting the hay now. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Moreover, I have really gone ahead and gotten my sleep these days.

Last night I slept 10-11 hours. Guess that is why it is midnight and I feel fine but I am hitting the hay now.

Dude, that's awesome, I am somewhat jealous of those numbers. :)

Stick with the stretches, you're so close!

• Thanks 1

Reflection time!

*Eat well.

Try to snack only once or twice a day. (It's better for your teeth, too.) no strict rules, although I have a pretty regular regimen lately. Mostly sandwiches and veggies and fruit... The occasional warm meal.

Eh, pretty sure I did only mildly satisfactory here. Also ate after 7 PM on quite some days. 

*Drink water!

Not enough, but I did drink more than one bottle (half a liter) usually. When I don't do a habit every day (without a reminder) or "every other day" (with a reminder) I tend to forget the first day. Or all of the days. That's what happened.  And I am sure it's one of the reasons why my snacking went up & my energy levels down.

*Measure my Flexibility Benchmarks (10/10 done)

Yay! Quite happy with this. I would not say proud, but maybe a little proud too. The fact that flexibility was not measurable for me without pictures was quite demotivating. Now I think I am going to continue trying!

*Do my fyisio exercises for my ankles + warm-up + yoga/another stretch routine every day (11/21)

I stretched in some way every other day on average & that's big for me lately. I've gone to bed at least a couple of times feeling actually LOOSE & that's been a while..

*Do my AM/PM routines again (not going to log)

Yeah, I was thinking of not doing a challenge in January but I think I will. And this will be my 1 quest.

*Make sure I have something to look forward to at the end of a "work" day.

Okay okay, this will be my second quest. 

I got in the spiral again of thinking about my pile of work while relaxing & thinking about play/rest or just going ahead and doing that when I had scheduled "work time"

Gotta get out of that.

Not only that, I kind of want to take set-backs & "getting behind" lighter. I want to learn when I can just move on, and when my mind needs to sit down, acknowledge what I did wrong, feel bad about it and THEN move on again. (I think my routine will help with that.)

Yesss, now this I am proud of. I finished my Agatha Christie book (paper),  read in the Tim Ferris book (phone reader) & started an Alexandra Marinina book (paper). 

Moreover, I decreased my fidgettiness with my mobile phone and electronics in general, and got lots of family quality time.

Overall, 

My performance was OK, but the challenge served its purpose of keeping me accountable.

I really feel like closing myself off right now, and often that's what I need but right now it's not. So I'll make a challenge next cycle & keep motivating myself :)  I must & will ride this wave & get back on track!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I really feel like closing myself off right now, and often that's what I need but right now it's not. So I'll make a challenge next cycle & keep motivating myself :)  I must & will ride this wave & get back on track!

Stick with us, friend! ❤️ 

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Yesss, now this I am proud of. I finished my Agatha Christie book (paper),  read in the Tim Ferris book (phone reader) & started an Alexandra Marinina book (paper). 

Moreover, I decreased my fidgettiness with my mobile phone and electronics in general, and got lots of family quality time.

1576680813_giphy(33).gif.df784012700f2a0070a164ffc55db957.gif

*cough shameless promo for reading challenge cough*  ;) 

• Like 1