Raxie Dances Through the Holiday Stillness

A little background on me - I've been NFing since 2013.  I also attended camp NF #2 and #3 and ADORE all the NF nerds everywhere, yes even you reading this even if I haven't met you yet, because we are the best people on the internet says me. I was really into powerlifting for the majority of my NF time, but in the last year I've backed off from that and completely dove head first into ballroom dancing (quite the about face, I know). I did ballet and jazz for the first ~17 years of my life so getting back into some type of dance had always been something I wanted to do but never got around to it.  In the last year I started competing in Pro/Am International Latin (which is cha cha, samba, rumba, paso doble and jive). Pro/Am is kind of similar to Dancing with the Stars/Strictly Come Dancing/etc where I'm being coached by and dancing with my teacher, except I'm not a star XD. I still lift, but no longer with the goal of maxing out my PRs and I increase my weights VERY slowly. My day job is a Project Manager (specialties in optics and software projects). I'm also hugely into D&D (currently DMing 2 games and playing in 4).  One of the games I play in is a pretty much constantly slowly ticking along PbP with @DarK_RaideR DMing, and @SheriffWolfpool, @Jarric and @Starpuck playing.  Another one of the 4 I play in is with some camp nerds, but we only meet virtually once every month or two max.  The other two I'm in and the two I DM meet quite regularly. (For those interested I've got a fallen asimaar hexblade warlock, a tabaxi valor bard, an eladrin swashbuckling rogue, and a wood elf open hand monk. And I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver and Waterdeep Dragon Heist)  The other big thing I've got going on is I'm a very active volunteer with the Human Rights Campaign and am co-chairing a the silent auction at our upcoming NYC Gala which I am super excited about!

*deep breath*

SQUEEE I FREAKING LOVEEEEE THIS TIME OF YEARRRR!!!

And it's not just because of the holidays, though that definitely adds to it since I absolutely can't get enough of family time and gift giving (honestly not too big on receiving gifts which I know is weird, but I obsess over giving presents), but it's really because of how still everything seems to become.  Yes the days immediately surrounding Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to be nuts, but other than that it seems like the whole world just presses the "chill" button.  So many people are out of the office, my dance studio doesn't have classes and my teacher goes away, when I combine my telework days with my days off I won't be in the office myself for about a week, but without any real personal plans.  It's such a great time to organize, start really digging in and planning my 2020 goals, and wrap up 2019 stuff I should have done earlier in the year but haven't had time to. I'm going to try to use this challenge to uh... organize my organization since I definitely have a lot going on (as per usual...).

CHALLENGE GOALS

1. Come up with my top 5 goals of 2020
  2. Re-join my gym.  I've been meaning to do this for literally months.  My yearly membership expired and I have just been lifting at home but have run out of weights to add to my barbell and I would rather just go do the thing than buy more plates and ruin my floor haha.
  3. Finish off my last 6 books of 2019 to meet my goal of 40 books.
  4. Take one lesson with a different teacher while mine is away for the holidays so I don't lose too much progress
  5. Post my schedule here each week

The first week of this challenge my studio is having our big holiday/winter showcase that I'm doing 6 numbers in (a Gaga cha cha/paso/samba medley, a Singing in the Rain quickstep/cha cha/jazz medley, an all girls Mean Girls cha cha tribute, a Paint it Black paso/tango, a Pink Panther foxtrot, and a modern-ish/contemporary number to Snow by Sleeping at Last) so most of the next week is going to be me running around rehearsing like crazy.  ALSO this weekend I'm going to see @Mike Wazowski (the only other ballroom nerd on the forums as far as I'm aware) compete! So pumped! I freaking love watching people dance and cheering my head off. So yeah it's a very dance-heavy week and a half before everything kinda comes to a standstill, but my life is pretty dance heavy basically always now anyway hahah. 💃

And that's it! Happy December nerds!

LawfulHappyIcelandichorse-small.gif

• Like 15

0.R

tenor.gif?itemid=8142144

So here's my schedule for zero week (most of it retroactive):

Monday 2 December

• Lift
  • Private Dance Lesson
  • D&D: DM LMoP

Tuesday 3 December

• Modern Performance Rehearsal
  • Latin Jazz Dance Class
  • Cha Cha Technique Dance Class
  • Mean Girls Cha Cha Performance Rehearsal

Wednesday 4 December

• Lift

Thursday 5 December

• HRC Gala Committee Meeting
  • Modern Performance Rehearsal
  • Private Dance Lesson
  • My favourite bar's 1 year anniversary party (gonna try really hard not to go too hard because I do have work Friday...)

Friday 6 December

• Lift
  • Going to a friend's holiday apartment party

Saturday 7 December

• Mean Girls Cha Cha Performance Rehearsal
  • Smooth Performance Team (Paint it Black & Pink Panther dances) Rehearsal
  • Jive technique class
  • Barre Workout
  • Weekly House Cleaning & Domestic Rangering
  • Going to cheer on Mike_W at his dance comp!

Sunday 8 December

• Smooth Performance Team Rehearsal
  • Tango technique class
  • Going to a friend's Holiday Cookie party

• Like 8
1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

Yay! Found you

Yayyy hi!!

51 minutes ago, raptron said:

ADDING ANOTHER VOICE TO THE HOLIDAY SEASON SQUEEEE CHOIR.

giphy.gif

Such a great time of year, for real.  Also it's time for snow sports!!

16 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I beg to differ

tenor.gif?itemid=5150326

Haha thanks DR :P

15 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

Yay always happy to have you Tank :D

15 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I need to steal some of this holiday cheer vibe you have, lol!     What ... something we don't twin on?   UNFATHOMABLE.

Going to mooch off this thread for inspirations and energies!

WHAT WE AREN'T ACTUALLY THE SAME PERSON?! I AM SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED!

I honestly wouldn't call it holiday cheer - I'm not really super into the holidays per se.  Like I don't do decorations (mostly because I'm too busy to try and coordinate something nice and I don't like half a**ing things) and I'm not super into holiday music etc... I just love seeing my family and I love giving gifts which happens to be what this time of year means XD

But also yes please take some energy inspiration ❤️ We'll kill it this month.

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Can't wait to see you this weekend!!! It's hilarious how much you're able to pack in before heading to my comp lol, god bless ~10 pm start times haha.

You tooo!!!! So excited!

Hahah the craziness of comp schedules really blow my mind.  My last comp my teachers pro rounds started at 11PM the night before our pro/am heats started at 9AM, so that was extra annoying XD

8 hours ago, Xena said:

think it's super cool that you're going to watch Mike W's event!

I can't wait! This has been a long time in the making to be honest, when I first found out there was another ballroom nerd in our midst I was immediately like OH EM GEE LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE EVER COMPETING IN NYC!!!!! Haha.  So pumped it's finally happening!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Raxie said:

Like I don't do decorations (mostly because I'm too busy to try and coordinate something nice and I don't like half a**ing things) and I'm not super into holiday music etc... I just love seeing my family and I love giving gifts which happens to be what this time of year means XD

Okay, nope.  We're the same person!         Take away the music and decorations and I am totally on board with Christmas!

LOL!

• Like 1

0.F

giphy.gif

Wow I am tired today. After work and an HRC meeting, a dance rehearsal and a private dance lesson, I went out with a friend to our favourite bar that was having its 1 year anniversary party.  Probably not the most responsible thing for me to do since I had work today and am now running on 3.5 hours of sleep but... I had a blast and I hadn't been able to really catch up with my friend in a while so while he and I are exhausted and a teensy bit hungover today I don't think there are any regrets hahah.  Tonight after work I am supposed to lift and go to a friend's holiday gathering though so hopefully I have time to squeeze in a nap at some point...

Time for some minor planning! I am dreadfully behind on my reading goal... I have 7 books left to hit my 40 book target for 2019!  I have a lot of down time the last two weeks of the month so I'm hoping to be able to tear through some reading then.  In the mean time I should plan out what these books will actually be. Gonna do some novella reading to get my book numbers up XD. I'm almostttt finished with the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles AND OMG I'M OBSESSED so I definitely think I'll keep that going for a lot of these (people have recommended this series to me a million times and I for some reason thought it would be kinda trashy but it's really not at all so I'm glad I finally dove into them!).  I also like to spread out my reading mediums across audiobooks, kindle, and physical books since my circumstances and mood determine how I'm reading so the more mediums I use, the more books I read! I've indicated the specific medium below as well.

December Book Plans:

1. Hounded (audiobook novel)
  2. Clan Rathskeller (kindle novella)
  3. Kaibob Unbound (kindle novella)
  4. Hex (audiobook novel)
  5. Hammered (audiobook novel)
  6. Starlit Wood (physical book)
  7. Tattooist of Auschwitz (physical book)

I also might read instead or in addition if I have the time Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from cover to cover, which is technically a D&D rules book so I'm not sure if I want to count it in my books I've read, but I've been considering letting myself count the rules books that have significant portions of history or mythology included in them as towards my reading goals (as opposed to stuff that's PURELY mechanical like the Monster Manual which is basically a list of stat blocks, or the DMs guide which is a lot of tables and additional rules) pending I really read it cover to cover like a book and not just skim over it. Or honestly even if it is a straight rules book it's still a book that I still read so why shouldn't I count it??? I don't know, it feels weird or wrong somehow. We shall see.

• Like 7
55 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I also like to spread out my reading mediums across audiobooks, kindle, and physical books since my circumstances and mood determine how I'm reading so the more mediums I use, the more books I read!

I recently discovered this as well

4 hours ago, Raxie said:

I also might read instead or in addition if I have the time Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from cover to cover, which is technically a D&D rules book so I'm not sure if I want to count it in my books I've read, but I've been considering letting myself count the rules books that have significant portions of history or mythology included in them as towards my reading goals (as opposed to stuff that's PURELY mechanical like the Monster Manual which is basically a list of stat blocks, or the DMs guide which is a lot of tables and additional rules) pending I really read it cover to cover like a book and not just skim over it.

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is the best non-adventure book in 5e, bar none. It's full of lore and information instead of rules and tables, so you totally should read it from cover to cover and count it towards your goal.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, Raxie said:

all girls Mean Girls cha cha tribute,

Oh my ACTUAL GOD.  Wow. Wowow.  I LOVE IT ALREADY!!!

On 12/6/2019 at 12:05 PM, Raxie said:

the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles AND OMG I'M OBSESSED

Holy crap I love this series so much too!!!!!! I read the first couple a few years ago and LOVED every single character aaaaaa, so good.  I love The Morrigan, and Aenghus Og, and ALL OF THEM AAAA

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, Raxie said:

Paint it Black paso/tango, a Pink Panther foxtrot

These both sound incredible and I want to see them.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Raxie said:

I also might read instead or in addition if I have the time Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from cover to cover, which is technically a D&D rules book so I'm not sure if I want to count it in my books I've read, but I've been considering letting myself count the rules books that have significant portions of history or mythology included in them as towards my reading goals (as opposed to stuff that's PURELY mechanical like the Monster Manual which is basically a list of stat blocks, or the DMs guide which is a lot of tables and additional rules) pending I really read it cover to cover like a book and not just skim over it. Or honestly even if it is a straight rules book it's still a book that I still read so why shouldn't I count it??? I don't know, it feels weird or wrong somehow. We shall see.

I'd count it; it's more mythology than it is a rulebook. Then again I've never set a reading goal so I may be the wrong person to give advice! I suppose it depends what you wanted to achieve when you set the goal in the first place, and whether MToF is in the spirit of that.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2019 at 11:05 AM, Raxie said:

100% count it, IMO. You're engaging with a big block of information someone else compiled and letting your thoughts and feelings flow and react to it - isn't that what we want from reading at the end of the day? (At least in the most general, all-encompassing sense possible).

Had a BLAST seeing you this weekend!!!! And wow, that's some serious strength I don't think I could muster for your Friday, haha.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, Raxie said:

the only other ballroom nerd on the forums as far as I'm aware

<raises hand, then lowers it again, a bit unsure>

I think of myself as a huge ballroom nerd, but I don't compete, so I guess I'm not in the same class as the two of you!

I don't have a partner (and have neither the finances nor the inclination to pay for one), but I have access to abso-freaking-lutely AMAZING teachers (seriously, they are incredible -- pro couples pay them a gazillion dollars an hour for coaching and I get to study with them for basically pocket-money drop-in class prices), and I do a bit of social dancing here or there when I can. I'm not against competing -- if an amateur ten-dance partner at my level walked in the door tomorrow I'd probably tackle the poor man -- but it's not something I can realistically do right now.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, Harriet said:

So when you went from powerlifting to dancing, did you lose strength and muscle mass? Or do you still do a little bit of lifting for maintenance? Or does dancing keep you strong? 

I won't speak for our lovely thread-hostess, but dancing does a damned good job of keeping me in reasonable shape, considering how totally sedentary I am otherwise. Strong might be pushing it though :) 

The first week of this challenge my studio is having our big holiday/winter showcase that I'm doing 6 numbers in (a Gaga cha cha/paso/samba medley, a Singing in the Rain quickstep/cha cha/jazz medley, an all girls Mean Girls cha cha tribute, a Paint it Black paso/tango, a Pink Panther foxtrot, and a modern-ish/contemporary number to Snow by Sleeping at Last)

:wub: OMG amazing. There MUST be pictures! 

SQUEEE I FREAKING LOVEEEEE THIS TIME OF YEARRRR!!!

YULE CHEER! YULE CHEER! YULE CHEER!! 

Good luck with what looks like an amazing challenge!

• Like 1
On 12/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, GoodDoug said:

I recently discovered this as well

I also like reading a few different things at once anyway because sometimes I'm just not in the mood for my fantasy novel but could still really get into my historical fiction (just random examples), even if both books are good and I'm loving them... it's just extra opportunity and motivation :)

On 12/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is the best non-adventure book in 5e, bar none. It's full of lore and information instead of rules and tables, so you totally should read it from cover to cover and count it towards your goal.

Yeah the blood war stuff is really calling to me to have a good sit down with it hahah.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, Harriet said:

So when you went from powerlifting to dancing, did you lose strength and muscle mass? Or do you still do a little bit of lifting for maintenance? Or does dancing keep you strong? 

I did lose some muscle mass but I attribute that almost 100% to the fact that I stopped eating to gain muscle and started eating more for lower body weight maintenance. I still do the same lifting workouts more or less that I did before in terms of content, but I deloaded a BUNCH and started adding weight like once every few weeks/once a month instead of following a super strict cycle of volume/adding weight/etc since I'm not aiming to hit PRs any more. I'm sure I could have maintained the muscle and continued on my LIFT MOAR GET SWOLE plan, but I didn't want to.

Dance has done things for my calves and my core that lifting NEVER did though, so I have actually gained strength there, while I also definitely lost muscle in other areas due to the above. 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, shaar said:

Oh my ACTUAL GOD.  Wow. Wowow.  I LOVE IT ALREADY!!!

Hahaha there will DEFINITELY be videos XD

Holy crap I love this series so much too!!!!!! I read the first couple a few years ago and LOVED every single character aaaaaa, so good.  I love The Morrigan, and Aenghus Og, and ALL OF THEM AAAA

YES IT IS SO GOOD!!! I'm so happy to have found a series that I love again! I feel like it's really been a while. Oberon is currently MVP for me though.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:49 AM, Jarric said:

These both sound incredible and I want to see them.

The pink panther number is really fantastic, the paint it black is just OK to be honest.  I think the team (myself 493201840932% included) needed more time to get it super clean, but it is what it is hahah.  The choreography is super cool and I LOVE the song so hopefully it translates to awesomeness even if it's not executed really well hahah.

I'd count it; it's more mythology than it is a rulebook. Then again I've never set a reading goal so I may be the wrong person to give advice! I suppose it depends what you wanted to achieve when you set the goal in the first place, and whether MToF is in the spirit of that.

Yeah I think that's what I'm kind of struggling with figuring out - what is my motive behind my reading goal? I think it really simply is just to read more? So it should count I think I've decided.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

100% count it, IMO. You're engaging with a big block of information someone else compiled and letting your thoughts and feelings flow and react to it - isn't that what we want from reading at the end of the day? (At least in the most general, all-encompassing sense possible).

You're absolutely correct - it's not like I'm reading a dictionary hahah. Thank you! The way you framed it actually really helped :)

Had a BLAST seeing you this weekend!!!! And wow, that's some serious strength I don't think I could muster for your Friday, haha.

YOU TOOOO OMGGGG!!! Next time you're in town we should definitely grab some food again if you have time :) I had so much fun watching you guys compete! And to go to a comp I wasn't competing at and just enjoy the dancing hahah.

16 hours ago, oromendur said:

<raises hand, then lowers it again, a bit unsure>

Sounds like you are a ballroom nerd for sure! Ahhh how did I not know you were hereeee there should have been bells or alarms or something go off the second the word "ballroom" is mentioned anywhere on the forums XD XD

I think of myself as a huge ballroom nerd, but I don't compete, so I guess I'm not in the same class as the two of you!

If you dance, you're a dancer ❤️ Also, it sounds like you take some pretty serious classes and do really cool social dancing events which is super legit.

I don't have a partner (and have neither the finances nor the inclination to pay for one), but I have access to abso-freaking-lutely AMAZING teachers (seriously, they are incredible -- pro couples pay them a gazillion dollars an hour for coaching and I get to study with them for basically pocket-money drop-in class prices), and I do a bit of social dancing here or there when I can. I'm not against competing -- if an amateur ten-dance partner at my level walked in the door tomorrow I'd probably tackle the poor man -- but it's not something I can realistically do right now.

Ughhh I really want to do 10 dance but it's just so darn expensive, so I just do latin. I do Pro/Am, so if I could find a partner to compete with and just get coaching from my teacher instead I'd totally jump on the 10 dance train as immediate as possible. But alas, it seems near impossible to find one.  Another girl who is much better than me at my studio has been looking for ages and hasn't found one so I'm pretty much just resigned to doing latin Pro/Am for the forseeable future.  I still absolutely love it though, my teachers great so I'm not dying to be in a different situation by any means.

:wub: OMG amazing. There MUST be pictures!

Hahah don't worry there will be pictures AND video :D

• Like 2

1.T

giphy.gif

UGH Gene Kelly  ❤️

Wow what a weekend I had. Friday night I had such a blast catching up with a group of friends I haven't seen in so long. The four of us danced together back in April and all just really clicked and wanted to keep in touch, but Friday was the first night (yes, since April) that all our schedules aligned and we were able to actually get together! The host made home made mac and cheese so I pretty much housed the heck outta that.  Whoops. XD. No regrets, it was really freaking delicious.  Saturday all my dance rehearsals went well, and no one but me showed up to my technique class so I ended up basically getting a private lesson for the price of a group class so that was really awesome.  Then I went to see Mike_W compete at night!! It was so awesome to see him again, and an especially great treat to get to see him dance! They really killed it :)

Photo evidence of the meet-up, because WE'RE CUTE:

kA624vf6Ep1tPQbNVAGRljc8mamDq4limPdqOG5o

Sunday I had another dance rehearsal, the last one before our show for the pink panther and paint it black numbers. Still lots of rehearsals for the other numbers for the rest of this week though. I'm tired already hahah. Then Sunday night my friend had a holiday cookie party.  I managed to eat basically an entire block of cheese (half manchego and half cheddar cranberry omg so good).  Irresponsible? Yes.  Delicious and amazing and who cares because it's the holidays? Also yes.

Last night I had a private lesson and played in the D&D campaign Mr. Raxie's DMing.  Good times were had by all.  Tonight I've got dance pretty much allllllll night after work (630-1015), and I had massive insomnia last night so I'm a little nervous about being able to get through it but it's dress rehearsal for the Mean Girls number so I'm also really excited to see how it all is coming together :D

In terms of goals for the challenge, I scheduled a lesson with one of my studios other teachers for while my teacher is away over the holidays so I can check that off.  I actually might see if I can schedule another because after having a more or less private lesson with him the other day (when I was the only one to show up to class) I realized how it really is good to get feedback from a different source sometimes, and just hear things different ways/get different cues/etc, so I might as well take advantage of the opportunity. If he's available, we shall see. I also finished reading Hounded and Clan Rathskeller.

Andddd here's my schedule for the week:

Monday 9 December

• Lift
  • Private Dance Lesson
  • D&D: Played my eladrin swashbuckling rogue in Dragon of Icespire Peak

Tuesday 10 December

• Modern Dance Dress Rehearsal
  • Latin Jazz Dance Class
  • Cha Cha Technique Dance Class
  • Mean Girls/Cha Cha Dress Rehearsal

Wednesday 11 December

• HRC NJ Meeting
  • Lift

Thursday 12 December

• Mean Girls/Cha Cha Dress Rehearsal #2 (there's props and costume changing mid-dance we need more than one haha)
  • Going to see a friend's comedy show

Friday 13 December

• Lift
  • Private Dance Lesson

Saturday 14 December

• Show day! Probably having people over after.

Sunday 15 December

• Smooth Performance Team (maybe??? It's on the schedule and we might start picking music and deciding what style we want to do for the next showcase but this also might get cancelled since it's the day after a performance and we wouldn't be meeting again until after the new year)
  • Tango technique class
  • CLEAN BECAUSE OMG I HAVEN'T HAD THE TIME IN WEEKS
  • Like 6

Dude, I am SO INTO THE BLOOD WAR. Y'all know my custom campaign involves our PCs having pledged their souls to various Lords of the Nine Hells, dying, and getting resurrected in the Underdark to serve as foot soldiers to undermine demon cults who are risking the balance of the war on the Material Plane, right? But don't worry, that's not all, there is of course an agent of chaos looking to gather MacGuffins and end all multi-planar conflicts for all by reducing existence to a thelemic state where there IS no destiny or fate or anything but sheer force of will~! 

• Like 1