• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

foxinthenorth

Fox walks the line between party and panic

My friends. Several weeks ago I signed up for a Spartan Obstacle Course Race. It is in 52 days. 7 1/2 weeks.

It is time to panic. I cannot do a pull up, let alone wobbly inclined monkey bars or whatever. I cannot do thirty burpees (which is the penalty for a failed obstacle...per obstacle). If I don't start seriously training, this race is going to kick my butt.

And we can't have that.

Buuuut. It's also Christmas. The season of eggnog and gingersnaps and peppermint hot chocolate. I basically entered sloth mode when I visited my family for Thanksgiving and since my string bean limbs lose muscle mass in like four seconds, I've probably already atrophied into my natural skinny nerd state. This weekend I'm headed to a cabin with some friends to play tabletop RPGs, eat raclette, and drink eggnog lattes by the fire. (I live near LA, so we have to drive to find cold weather.) Not good for my fitness, but oh so fun.

So maybe I don't fully panic. It's my favorite time of year. Gotta enjoy it.

So here's how we're going to split the difference. The first two weeks of this challenge I will be doing two a day workouts — running in the morning, strength and mobility training in the evening. The third week is Christmas week and I'll be here, there, everywhere, and snowboarding.

Here's my breakdown:

• Week One and Two brought to you by baking, Star Wars, The Witcher, and Lake Arrowhead
    • Workout Plan
      • Morning workout: Run 20-30 minutes and do a couple laps on the monkey bars at the playground. Stretch well.
      • Evening workouts:
        • MWF: 10 burpees, 60 second mountain climbers, 5 towel pull ups, 5 push ups, AMRAP 20 minutes, cool down with sun salutations
        • TTh: 30-minute YogaX, or 90 minutes if we don't have anything else going on that night
      • Saturday workout: Run 30-45 minutes, 3 sets of: laps on the monkey bars, 10 burpees, 60 second mountain climbers
      • Sunday workout: YogaX, 30 or 90 minutes 
    • To-Do
      • Finish building my planter so I don't have timber and a bunch of homeless succulents on my porch.
      • Finish Christmas shopping
      • Go see Rise of Skywalker and BE HYPED!!!!!!!
      • Watch the first episode (or two) of The Witcher and BE HYPED!!!!!
  • Week Three brought to you by CHRISTMAS. MAMMOTH. SNOW!!!!!!!!
    • Dec 22-24: I will not be at home majority of this time. Minimum 15-minute daily workout by doing burpees, mountain climbers, squats, and pushups. See if people will go for a walk with me.
    • Dec 25: Day off. Have fun.
    • Dec 26-29: Mammoth — Snowboard for many hours every day. Warm up before going out (stretch, do push ups, do some mountain climbers, not too much.) Stretch a lot every night.

I'm actually going to try to log every workout here so I can track progress and make sure I'm not just doing exercises willy-nilly. Week 0 has so far been catching up on sleep and reorienting after the sloth-mode pocket universe that is visiting my family. Our weekend in the mountains will be a reset and I'll be ready to hit the workouts Monday morning!

LET'S DO THIS, PEOPLE!!!!!! 💪

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Novaurora said:

HOW DID i NOT SEE THIS UNTIL NOW??!!  I'M HERE AND I'M FOLLOWING!!!!

HI!! HAPPY TO SEE YOU!!!

5 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Tangent but I have so many good memories of Mammoth Lakes (it’s gotta be the same place, right??) Have THE BEST TIME!

Yes it is! My mother in law has a ski in ski out condo on the mountain so we go my in-laws every winter to snowboard. We went over Independence Day this year, too, and went snowboarding, kayaking, biking, and paddleboarding. It was awesome. It's a great place. And the condo's been remodeled and I'm so excited to see the new decor...

---

DAY 1 - MORNING

Ran 20 minutes. I have run approximately three times in 2019 so I basically died, but it feels so good afterward guys, so good. I tried to do laps on the monkey bars but turns out my grip strength is garbage and I fell off on the third bar. I just hung on for as long as I could, several times, after that. We're gonna have to do some serious work on this...

DAY 1 — EVENING
(Evening was not quite as expected and I’m pretty sore from running so here’s the workout I got in.)

4 sets of 5 push ups: definitely losing full range of motion by the end of the last set; it was much more difficult to maintain a tight core at the end.

30 second mountain climbers: ye gods my quads and hip flexors are tired from that run.

I just finished watching Return of the Jedi as part of my pre-gaming for Rise of Skywalker. That original trilogy is so good. The cinematography is consistently stunning. And hot damn that final lightsaber battle!

4 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

4 sets of 5 push ups: definitely losing full range of motion by the end of the last set; it was much more difficult to maintain a tight core at the end.

I wish I had the kinesthetic awareness you do.  I really struggle with form because it takes me forever to identify things like this.  Nice job on your goals!!

4 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

I just finished watching Return of the Jedi as part of my pre-gaming for Rise of Skywalker. That original trilogy is so good. The cinematography is consistently stunning. And hot damn that final lightsaber battle!

Apparently Cosmopolitan magazine did "A Millennial Women's Guide to Star Wars" and nerd girls everywhere were VERY offended.  As if we don't know what Star Wars is, ha.

7 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I wish I had the kinesthetic awareness you do.  I really struggle with form because it takes me forever to identify things like this.  Nice job on your goals!!

Thanks! Doing sets of five seemed to help. Because i was only doing five, I didn’t have to maintain attention to each part of my body for very long. I made sure I had good form before I started, then checked in on the fourth and fifth push up to make sure my core was still tight. 

DAY TWO — MORNING

Ran 20 minutes: much slower but without needing to stop and walk. 

I’m so sore!!!

Skipped the monkey bars because my husband was running late to a meeting and we carpool. I’ll aim to do some hanging off my chin up bar. 

• Like 1

DAY THREE — SEND A MASSAGE AND SLEEP

It’s been non stop since I got out of bed at 7am until now (10:15 pm). I had a great day at work, it was a Christmas party, and I was on the set up crew so my whole morning was bathed in Christmas decorations and food, then a meeting, getting to know my coworkers...very little actual work was accomplished but I was helping out and socializing allll dayyyy which had me feeling pretty pumped for Dungeon World tonight. Got home and cooked, friends arrived, still cooking, finally finished the soup, ate, played, washed 800 dishes. 

So no workout occurred today and I’m accepting the loss. Tomorrow I have a running date with two coworkers after work so I’ll be running and doing a bit of strength in the evening only tomorrow. 

Tonight, I’m just gonna stretch and go to bed. 

Talk to ya tomorrow, peeps. Sleep well and have a good day, depending on which time zone you’re in. 🤗

5 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

So no workout occurred today and I’m accepting the loss.

Sounds like you did quite a bit of running around with decorations as well as scrubbing.  Functional fitness for the win!

• Like 1

DAY FOUR — WOOOOO OW

My Spartan teammates’ workout was as follows:

1 lap around track

15 negative pull ups 

1 lap

15 inverted rows

1 lap

10 scapular shrugs

1 lap

Chin up hang as long as possible
Repeat all 2x

My negative pull up range of motion was dreadful, in part because the bar was too high and I couldn’t pull up to the top. I could barely do the hang for a count of twenty. I had to bail on the last lap because my Achilles’ tendon started hurting. And now my neck hurts. But overall I felt that I was operating at a decent exertion level and I eased up when I thought I needed to. 

Now I’m making cold brew and cookies. Happy evening, everyone!

HI HI THERE YOU ARE!!!!! 💞

On 12/14/2019 at 1:33 AM, foxinthenorth said:

Apparently running makes your core sore?? That might be a sign of my weak core 😂

YUP I noticed this too, ahaha, just muscles you don't normally used getting used, yeah???

Hope you are hanging in there!! ^______________^

• Like 1

DAY SIX (yesterday)

Did 3 sets of 5 push ups. Range of motion was dreadful and my husband was trying to make me laugh but he also offered feedback on my form so that was good. 

Also walked around the mall a bunch and kneaded bread. 💪

And made spiced cider because how perfectly holiday is that???

1 hour ago, loire said:

HI HI THERE YOU ARE!!!!! 💞

YUP I noticed this too, ahaha, just muscles you don't normally used getting used, yeah???

Hope you are hanging in there!! ^______________^

Hiiiiiiiii hanging in I am and watching lots of Star Wars. I secretly like being sore because then I know new muscles are being used. 😅

• Like 3

DAY SEVEN (yesterday)

I did not work out. I went for a walk (to the skate shop to see if they had anything cool for my brother in law), cleaned the kitchen, put up minimum Christmas decorations, fed my sourdough starter, plus church and home group. I underestimated how tired the Christmas season was going to make me, and thought I could work out in all my spare time.

DAY EIGHT (today)

Ran 20 minutes and hung on the monkey bars for a while, switching my grip several times. Run was okay, grip is starting to feel a little stronger but my palms hurt from hanging. I am not anticipating pulling off an evening workout. I might get a couple push ups in.

• Like 1

DAY TEN

Ran 25 minutes — two miles! But I stopped to take pictures of all the Christmas ornaments someone put on the succulents and cacti in the local traffic circle. 😂 Still, I'm roughly near a 12-minute mile. This is what I expected based on previous running experience. My best mile ever was somewhere around nine minutes, so I've got a lot of room for improvement. I'll be shooting for miles in the ten minute ballpark by the end of January.

Also:

I am not going to finish building my planter by the end of the year. It is now a "kick off the year right" goal. My poor succulents.

I have finished Christmas shopping!

STAR WARS TOMORROW!

TWO DAYS TILL THE WITCHER!

I'm gonna pack my running shoes for next week and plan to run before we head up to Mammoth. I feel better during the day having done some hard cardio in the morning, and I think it'll feel good to put in some miles amidst all the holiday sugar and laying about.

Lastly...DID YOU KNOW RUNNING MAKES YOUR GLUTES SORE MY GOSH

• Like 2

DAY ELEVEN

!!!!!!!!STAR WARS DAY!!!!!!!!

I CANNOT ADEQUATELY EXPRESS MY HYPE

I AM STAYING FAR AWAY FROM ANY POTENTIAL REVIEWS, SPOILERS, OR OPINIONS

SEE YOU TOMORROW FOLKS

Actually just kidding, here's my daily log:

I didn't work out, instead got to work early so I could make it to the movie theater on time. I don't know if we're going to go out with the friends we're seeing it with or not, so not sure if I'll fit anything besides stretching and maybe a couple sets of push ups in tonight. I'll report on that tomorrow morning.

Also I read this and it made me think of all the reasons why Nerd Fitness and these forums exist for: Show Up. Mood Follows Action.

TBH, showing up seems to be the part where I have the most problem, but I think this forum helps. Even if I'm just reporting that I didn't do the thing, I feel more engaged with an external force than when I've just decided I ought to work out.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

DAY TWELVE - WITCHER DAY! No working out was done. Lots of packing for the trip. 

DAY THIRTEEN - Travel to the mountains. No workout, but baked cookies and walked around town some when we arrived. 

DAY FOURTEEN

I just did 4 sets of 5 knuckle pushups, elbows in military style. Those are so much harder than standard push ups!! I did the last few standard style, but I’m not supposed to do them from my palms so as not to aggravate my wrists and it’s weird to do the arrow shape from knuckles. I also did aikido wrist stretches and basic leg/hip stretches. 

• Like 1