• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Starpuck

Starpuck: At Dawn, We Plan

Recommended Posts

I am so completely unfocused, lazy, overwhelmed, and under-motivated.  

So I steal a fantastic quote from Critical Role Campaign 1.

tumblr_oxzrueBqDV1rqbe0lo6_250.gifv

 

I can't think about this too hard, or else it will fail.     I really should go through my life and either set better boundaries on my schedule, or, take this challenge and learn how to quit things.    The worrisome part of that idea, is that there is 'quitting because it makes sense so I can focus on something else' and 'quitting because I've chickened out'.    We only want the former.

 

So.   There is one rule to this December challenge.  

Every morning.   Wake up.   Write out the plan for the day in BuJo. 

[And any 'do this week'  things too]  And then do my best to stick to it.   (Excepting reasonable flexibility and sense.)

 

There are things I'd like to get back into better habit of, but if I say I must do them this many times, and I start to fall behind, I will be all the Moop.   So we're just going to write them down as 'Think about these things' and if I also do them.  Great!

 

Parts of the Plan

- Eat better.

- Exercise consistently.  (Stick to Strong Lifts, it'll work!)

- Get back to art stuff.  You like it!   Keep at it, you will keep improving.

- Make time for friends and family.

- Invest in church stuff.

 

That's it.     Nice.  Simple.   Not overwhelming.

dJJ.gif

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

 

That doesn’t sound like the ‘Puck I know at all.
 

Aye!  I know!    Winter is always the bummer for me.   But I am fighting fierce with the Blehs.     I think a streak of doing things will start to turn the tide to brighter horizons.  But those first few strides are the hardest.

 

4 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Write the plan, stick to it, and execute. The rest will manage itself.

 

You can do it!

Thanks Kishi!!   Been a while and I've missed ya!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Thanks Kishi!!   Been a while and I've missed ya!!

 

Missed you too! Sorry I haven't been by. I've, ah, been very consumed with life and the living of it.

 

One thing I like about everyone being lumped together in a challenge again is how easy it is to keep track of everyone I've run into before. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kishi said:

 

Missed you too! Sorry I haven't been by. I've, ah, been very consumed with life and the living of it.

 

One thing I like about everyone being lumped together in a challenge again is how easy it is to keep track of everyone I've run into before. :)

Yeah!

And admittedly, my recent ... last 6 months, have been a lot of posting during zero week, then vanishing lol.    

No guilt though!  Just sincere "Smiled when I saw your post!"

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Yeah!

And admittedly, my recent ... last 6 months, have been a lot of posting during zero week, then vanishing lol.    

No guilt though!  Just sincere "Smiled when I saw your post!"

 

 

Well, I smiled when I saw that you saw, so I guess we're good on that score. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like a few of us need to start a party to take out your army of Blehs and my duo of Depression and Apathy. Maybe we can take on some other guild members’ monsters along the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh I really like the idea of having a game plan for the day and starting the day off like that! One of my 2020 goals is definitely to have a better morning and bed time routine and I think I might wrap that up in there some where :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Starpuck said:

That's it.     Nice.  Simple.   Not overwhelming.

That is the best way to go! I'm right there with you. I am adopting "Nice, Simple, Not overwhelming" as my mantra for the holiday season. You can do it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hey, I'm all about posting challenges whether or not you keep up with them. It doesn't matter how many challenges you finish, it matters how many you start. If you never stop starting them, eventually everything else will work out.

This is so true!     Like the old meme about people walking 5k's still being ahead of the ones still sitting on the couch.     It's all about reforming habits.    It's a shame how easy they are to let slide, eh?

12 hours ago, Aquarii said:

 

What kind of art stuff do you do?

 

12 hours ago, Aquarii said:

 

Wait, what?? That is amazing! I always wondered where you got your avatar from...

 

I picked up the arting thing because I wanted to be able to draw my TTRPG characters.  I'm also a big fan of anime.  So my 'style' -if you can call it that, turned into some kind of anime light-ish, thing?  But yeah.   Been at it for a few years now, and as any perfectionist turned wanna be artist, is, I assume it all still sucks lol!     But I sketch in pencil, then move it to digital via Manga Studio and the beginner wacom tablet.    Whenever I lose my streak of working on the tablet, I have to retrain the whole eyes up here, hand down there muscles, and it can be super frustrating. :P

 

 

9 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

It sounds like a few of us need to start a party to take out your army of Blehs and my duo of Depression and Apathy. Maybe we can take on some other guild members’ monsters along the way.

 

Yes!  Indeed.  I like this plan my friend.   I've never been officially diagnosed with depression or anxiety, but it runs heavy heavy in my family, so I think I run into seasons where I "Dabble In It"?  If that makes sense.    Right now is one of them.  And I am so thankful for the people here (and elsewhere) that are willing to share themselves and their journeys through it so openly.  It helps.  Ya know?  So thank you!!

 

8 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'll be rooting for you 'Puck!

OMG RED!!!  I haven't seen you in forever!  Hey buddy!   If your signature is up to date... super close to being done with school eh?   Awesome!!!!  Thanks so much for stopping in and saying hey!!

 

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Oooh I really like the idea of having a game plan for the day and starting the day off like that! One of my 2020 goals is definitely to have a better morning and bed time routine and I think I might wrap that up in there some where :)

Yeah, I figured it was a way to get things back on my mind, without being overly obsessive.    But the habit of pulling out the bujo first thing is going to take some work.    OOOOH!  I should leave it on my desk the night before.    And then, make a rule, that I can't check our PbP until I fill it out!

 

14 minutes ago, nianjufe said:

That is the best way to go! I'm right there with you. I am adopting "Nice, Simple, Not overwhelming" as my mantra for the holiday season. You can do it!

Yup!    No sense in being unkind to ourselves this season, right?     Simple and thoughtful!   Huzzah!!!

 

13 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

 

Yay! Lifts!

 

Woot woot!  I've done it before, but always peter out or start missing sessions.  Which makes it not work, lol.   But one thing I do change is I omit the OHP and do pull ups instead.   Because I love pull ups!

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

I picked up the arting thing because I wanted to be able to draw my TTRPG characters.  I'm also a big fan of anime.  So my 'style' -if you can call it that, turned into some kind of anime light-ish, thing?  But yeah.   Been at it for a few years now, and as any perfectionist turned wanna be artist, is, I assume it all still sucks lol!     But I sketch in pencil, then move it to digital via Manga Studio and the beginner wacom tablet.    Whenever I lose my streak of working on the tablet, I have to retrain the whole eyes up here, hand down there muscles, and it can be super frustrating. :P

 


Ooh. I've been thinking about trying a tablet, can I ask you about it, and the programme? Are they easy to use? Do you have to be a computer whizz to understand all the programme options? Does the tablet allow you to use varying levels of pressure? I would love to know more about the actual experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harriet said:


Ooh. I've been thinking about trying a tablet, can I ask you about it, and the programme? Are they easy to use? Do you have to be a computer whizz to understand all the programme options? Does the tablet allow you to use varying levels of pressure? I would love to know more about the actual experience.

 

Oooh a chance to talk about art stuff from a non-artists viewpoint!  I consider myself a professional amateur, so I feel super certified to answer this!

 

Honest Reviews by Starpuck - Manga Studio (Now called: Clip Studio Paint Pro)

[Spoilered because it's all art-software/tablet based mumbo jumbo!]


 

Spoiler

 

This is a great, beginning software, at a reasonable price, for newcomers into the digital art world.    

Computer Whizz - No.   But I am one that learns by clicking buttons and doing.   If you can maneuver windows /MacOS typically, should be fine.)

Initial reaction upon opening software:  OMG THIS IS TOO MUCH, I HAVE NO CLUE - WHAT THE HELL AM I EVEN DOING?

Reaction upon calming down and looking up tutorials:  Oh.  Ok.  Ok.  I can just, pick things one at a time and learn a little.

- Even without knowing the program inside and out, you can quickly get to drawing and learning the process.    I for one, really like to just get in and do, and not read and read and watch and watch, before trying stuff.    I also bought a Udemy Course on mastering the basics of the program, about 2 years after having it, and was able to learn better how to tweak things.     (I actually posted a few videos of me doing stuff on this program if you wanted to see an amateur poke around with the basics.)   You'll learn how layers work, and how easy it is to correct, manipulate, change things.   I've only touched the surface of this software, but it's been more than enough for me currently - while still leaving room to grow.

 

On Tablet Drawing -

Levels of Pressure:  Yes, omg yes.   4096 varying levels of pressure!   With all manner of brushes, pencils, pens, etc to select as your tool  (And even more that people create and share online if you want)

Drawing on a Tablet initial reaction:   I can't do this!  This was a mistake.... how can I use my hand down here, but not even LOOK at what I am drawing!   (The super high end models allow you to draw ON the tablet, but most beginner to midrange, you draw on the tablet (on the desk) but only see what you're drawing on the screen.  Totally took me a while to get used to it.)  

 

For reference:  First week drawing on a tablet, learning software.

VS    a year or two in...

 

(Gosh this feels like I am trying to plug myself!  I'm not - but you posed the exact kind of question from the exact angle, I feel like I could help encourage someone best at! ... so here is a super poorly done basic tutorial on just jumping into the program.   By me!  LOL.    Starpuck does a basic starter tutorial.

 

So yeah!  I would encourage you!  Start with the beginner stuff in case you end up not liking it... (That second link to Amazon is actually the tablet PLUS the software.... nice deal there.)   Dive in!   Be prepared for the overwhelming at first, but know with absolute confidence, you can break it down and learn a single thing every week, and eventually you get to feeling not too shabby on it!   And if you do get it - ask me any time!!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there! Realized I read your first post, but never left a comment for the auto-subscribe to activate, so here it is now. Good luck on your challenge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

I picked up the arting thing because I wanted to be able to draw my TTRPG characters.  I'm also a big fan of anime.  So my 'style' -if you can call it that, turned into some kind of anime light-ish, thing?  But yeah.   Been at it for a few years now, and as any perfectionist turned wanna be artist, is, I assume it all still sucks lol!     But I sketch in pencil, then move it to digital via Manga Studio and the beginner wacom tablet.    Whenever I lose my streak of working on the tablet, I have to retrain the whole eyes up here, hand down there muscles, and it can be super frustrating. :P

 

That is so cool, I love that you are creating your own artistic style. I totally understand the frustration of trying to get back into an art form. I got my degree in vocal performance, totally burned out, and didn't really do anything with music for two years. Now I am starting to try and get back into it, and though there is lots of muscle memory to work with, I have a lot of strength and fine-tuning to do before I am even remotely near where I once was. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

 

Oooh a chance to talk about art stuff from a non-artists viewpoint!  I consider myself a professional amateur, so I feel super certified to answer this!

 

Honest Reviews by Starpuck - Manga Studio (Now called: Clip Studio Paint Pro)

[Spoilered because it's all art-software/tablet based mumbo jumbo!]


 

  Hide contents

 

This is a great, beginning software, at a reasonable price, for newcomers into the digital art world.    

Computer Whizz - No.   But I am one that learns by clicking buttons and doing.   If you can maneuver windows /MacOS typically, should be fine.)

Initial reaction upon opening software:  OMG THIS IS TOO MUCH, I HAVE NO CLUE - WHAT THE HELL AM I EVEN DOING?

Reaction upon calming down and looking up tutorials:  Oh.  Ok.  Ok.  I can just, pick things one at a time and learn a little.

- Even without knowing the program inside and out, you can quickly get to drawing and learning the process.    I for one, really like to just get in and do, and not read and read and watch and watch, before trying stuff.    I also bought a Udemy Course on mastering the basics of the program, about 2 years after having it, and was able to learn better how to tweak things.     (I actually posted a few videos of me doing stuff on this program if you wanted to see an amateur poke around with the basics.)   You'll learn how layers work, and how easy it is to correct, manipulate, change things.   I've only touched the surface of this software, but it's been more than enough for me currently - while still leaving room to grow.

 

On Tablet Drawing -

Levels of Pressure:  Yes, omg yes.   4096 varying levels of pressure!   With all manner of brushes, pencils, pens, etc to select as your tool  (And even more that people create and share online if you want)

Drawing on a Tablet initial reaction:   I can't do this!  This was a mistake.... how can I use my hand down here, but not even LOOK at what I am drawing!   (The super high end models allow you to draw ON the tablet, but most beginner to midrange, you draw on the tablet (on the desk) but only see what you're drawing on the screen.  Totally took me a while to get used to it.)  

 

For reference:  First week drawing on a tablet, learning software.

VS    a year or two in...

 

(Gosh this feels like I am trying to plug myself!  I'm not - but you posed the exact kind of question from the exact angle, I feel like I could help encourage someone best at! ... so here is a super poorly done basic tutorial on just jumping into the program.   By me!  LOL.    Starpuck does a basic starter tutorial.

 

So yeah!  I would encourage you!  Start with the beginner stuff in case you end up not liking it... (That second link to Amazon is actually the tablet PLUS the software.... nice deal there.)   Dive in!   Be prepared for the overwhelming at first, but know with absolute confidence, you can break it down and learn a single thing every week, and eventually you get to feeling not too shabby on it!   And if you do get it - ask me any time!!

 

 

 

Thank you for this, Starpuck! It didn't occur to me that there would be online courses and tutorials on the programmes but... of COURSE there are, it's the internet. Do you know, I think I will practice on my little children's app (with my finger) while saving up for something. I assume they're pretty expensive, and I guess I'd really like one where you can draw on the tablet. It's nice to see your progress; it looks like you've gained in confidence and skill :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

Thank you for this, Starpuck! It didn't occur to me that there would be online courses and tutorials on the programmes but... of COURSE there are, it's the internet. Do you know, I think I will practice on my little children's app (with my finger) while saving up for something. I assume they're pretty expensive, and I guess I'd really like one where you can draw on the tablet. It's nice to see your progress; it looks like you've gained in confidence and skill :) 

 

Oh gosh, you just sent me to google to see about tablet reviews, and there is a new badboi on the market!   MUCH cheaper than Wacom's on screen tablet displays...

 

I may have to see how Santa feels about this.  Thanks!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

OMG RED!!!  I haven't seen you in forever!  Hey buddy!   If your signature is up to date... super close to being done with school eh?   Awesome!!!!  Thanks so much for stopping in and saying hey!!

 

Hey hey! I'm sorry for disappearing on you guys. Life has been interesting. And yes, I'm a week away from finishing the school part and next year is Externship, then April is Residency. I'm going to try to make an effort to keep up with your fight against the Blehs. I've missed your artwork, too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should write the to do for the day ... as it's noon.   But it is also zero week, so ... permission to ease into things granted!

 

After work:

ART sketch before any video games.

Plot Weekend

Vacuum Carpet under desk.

Pay Bills

Potential Northgard night with peeps.  If not/ then Greedfall.

Tablet art after to unwind.

FLOSS tonight yo!  Just had your cleaning, keep up on it.

 

Edit for adding and order.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.