Harrgath: From the Ruins of Last Memory

Here I shall Cry no Havoc, but instead feel the Solstice stillness while contemplating the past year and considering the new.

In World of Warcraft's expansion Legion, the character classes were called upon to pursue and hone artifact weapons unique to their class, while building and equipping a sanctum as a base of operations to launch their campaign against the demonic Burning Legion; these included a demon ship for the Demon Hunters, a secretive hall hidden in the underbelly of the city for Rogues, basically Valhalla for Warriors, a shining Temple of the Light for priests, and the sleepy natural grove for Druids (among others).  This holiday mini-challenge will be my Class Hall to prepare for whatever undertakings I shall embark on in the new year, and my life/body is the character [Artifact].  Instead of the 'mandatory' checklists I've employed in previous challenges, I am taking inspiration from iatetheyeti's festive survival guide in the form of a simple list to sustain myself through the latter half of December and maybe build some Forum-going presence, awareness of self, and contemplate how to reforge my Path for 2020.

72807fa45ad84373a3cc00fdacf4939b.jpg  [A Battered Adventurer's Journal]

• Blood Alchemy:  Eat two REAL meals per day.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Complete one Sanctum task per day.
  • Artifact Research:  Contemplate my exercise future, whether that's a return to CrossFit, starting Yoga, or something new.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Daily Self-care activities.
  • Adventurer's Journal:  Self-improvement through NF forum participation, stoicism studies and writing pursuits, or memes.

image.png

December.

Cold winds channeled through the valley, driving the sort of sharp, angry snow that bruised skin and left a traveler frozen to their heart.  The treed canopy above could scarcely shield against the icy torrent.  Still a lithe, pantherine silhouette and a lone figure navigated through the drifts and frozen mire toward a long-neglected ruin set dramatically against a mountain footing.  Weather howling in the man's ear and chilled to the bone, he passed first a collapsed guard tower, it's tall walls torn asunder and resting in piles of rubble at its base, and shortly thereafter at last found some semblance of shelter against the dilapidated gatehouse of the facility.  He rested just a moment, leaning against the familiar foundation and briefly regarded the ruined gate while scratching his feline familiar's head as it gazed up at him, before forging on deeper into the courtyard.

Where once the yard had been a center of activity, aspirant's training under the harsh but fatherly guidance of their watchful masters, and groundskeepers seeing to the well being of mounts, the sanctum's maintenance, and both travelers and returning champions alike.  Now the sanctum was a shadow of its former glory - forgotten, bereft, and left to be reclaimed by the wild mountain valley it had once lorded over. 

He stifled a grimace at the sad state of neglect the sanctum had seen these past years.  It had been time nearly immemorial since the Fall, when last the traveler had been 'home.'  Heartstrings were tugged at and a sour feeling filled the gut in remembering former glories, fallen friends, and the long-failed confidence which had once filled generations of champions with purpose. 

Harrgath, he was called, though it had been considerable time since lips had uttered his name or dared to address him in any manner further than 'Hunter.'  Carefully he secured his mount in the courtyard, resting a gloved hand on the worn saddle for only the briefest contemplative moment in appreciation and respect for having taken him so far and bringing him safely to the most recent journey's destination.  The road-weary and weather-battered traveler tightened his vestments against the elements and allowed road-worn boots to guide him up the snow covered but otherwise familiar pathway up to the main hold.  Deafening silence reigned over the ruin, only wind and his soft footsteps and his own breath and heart drumming in his ears kept him company.  He strode through the abandoned door and penetrated the eerie gloom within the keep.  No illumination had lit the interior halls beyond those sunlight rays which passed through ruined windows or a collapsed section of the ceiling rafters in so many years.  A profound wistful remembering swept through Harrgath as he regarded the ruin which had been his home through developmental years, hundreds of hours spent in training, and a bastion he could ever return to and from which he could base further adventures from.

Daring the ghosts of the past to rise like specters from a grave, Harrgath set to lighting a fire in the absence of functional heating and illumination.  He dashed a wooden chair against the fortified wall and gathered its remnants for kindling, carefully setting the pieces in the hearth and capably crafting a blaze to warm his frozen bones.

"That's better," he mumbled to himself, no enigmatic specters of fallen comrades challenging his presence or the fire.

Harrgath warmed his hands for a long moment until a hunger and thirst drove him toward the kitchens.  He barely noticed that his furred companion remained near to warmth and scarcely noticed his departure.  Old rations were there found, likely long stale but palatable (if only barely), and surprisingly several lonely bottles of the Order's fortifying firewater.  Hands full of sustenance and bottle, he tugged the cork off with his teeth and spat the lid into the dark recesses.  The brew at once warmed the traveler's mouth and slaked his thirst for better days.  Harrgath returned to his hearthfire, destroying another wooden chair to fuel the flames.  He dragged a heavier leather seat and propped his heavy pack against its bulk.  Flames danced in his vision while Harrgath thoughtlessly alternated munching dry crackers and protein paste, washing their painfully characterless taste down with swigs of brew.

Adding yet a few more remnants of chair to the flame, Harrgath removed his boots and propped his feet up on a stack of debris.  The shadowcat was curled up with a bone nearby.  He didn't want to think of who or what it belonged to.

He closed his eyes, remarking, "Tomorrow is a new day, and maybe I'll catch myself some breakfast to start the day anew..."

While outside the ruined fortress the winter winds howled and the snow continued to fall.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Glad to see you home brother. I'll be here.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

• Blood Alchemy:  Breakfast wrap and appetizers with my parents.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Major living room clean-up, laundry, and hopefully clothes put away before bedtime.
  • Artifact Research:  Running into my CF coach at a Christmas craft sale yesterday has me considering a return to CF in January.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Sitting down to a Netflix movie and relaxing evening at home - mostly ignoring my phone notifications too.
  • Adventurer's Journal:  First challenge check-in, read some Stoicism musings this morning, and a chapter or two of 12 Rules For Life at bedtime.

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

As rain returns to the desert, Rurik returns to my screen.

Welcome back brother.

tumblr_poj0dsluRu1risjtio1_500.gifv

13 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Sometimes simple is exactly what we need to keep us ticking over.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad to see you home brother. I'll be here.

anigif_sub-buzz-4313-1502452487-10.gif

• Like 5

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

• Blood Alchemy:  Today wasnt quite the healthy victory as yesterday, too many Xmas cookies at work, but I had a breakfast wrap (and a couple with Nutella) plus stirfry at work.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Tidied the kitchen countertop.
  • Artifact Research:  Nadda.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Just home from work and time to relax!
  • Adventurer's Journal:  Continued 12 Rules For Life .

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 4:46 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I am taking inspiration from iatetheyeti's festive survival guide in the form of a simple list to sustain myself through the latter half of December and maybe build some Forum-going presence, awareness of self, and contemplate how to reforge my Path for 2020.

I have been away for some while. What made me come back, was the promise to myself that the only mandatory update to the forum was a mere 1 update (even just to scribble 3 words) on my own challenge every week. This way the burden of being alive and dedicating countless hours into the forum will be much much lower. It has helped me significantly. Just a tip, free that is, from someone who has Dutch roots, we never give away shit free 😉

• Like 3

... a little odd in the head ...

Following along! Good to see you, sir!

Image result for jason momoa see gif"

Wolf

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

• Blood Alchemy:  Overdosed on wraps yesterday, at least it was pork tenderloin and red peppers with crunchy onions, but two pieces of cheesecake at work.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Major victory; finally took my recycling and garbage bags out for pick-up. Seriously there are no words how major this is haha
  • Artifact Research:  Pretty determined to restart CrossFit and seek out an occasional Yoga session - already have one in mind. Just need to figure out if the budget will sustain.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Honestly my week of working evenings is nothing but Me Time.
  • Adventurer's Journal:  Continuing 12 Rules For Life .

On 12/17/2019 at 12:59 AM, Mr_Willes said:

I have been away for some while. What made me come back, was the promise to myself that the only mandatory update to the forum was a mere 1 update (even just to scribble 3 words) on my own challenge every week. This way the burden of being alive and dedicating countless hours into the forum will be much much lower. It has helped me significantly. Just a tip, free that is, from someone who has Dutch roots, we never give away shit free 😉

It's working for me so far!  My current Grand Inspiration for the Greater Good of Rurikdom is focused on prioritizing completion of tasks that give me the most anxiety (basically any phone calls and adulting, finishing touches on the house, garbage out, etc), getting back to some sort of exercise, and building a comfortable environment to escape the world, so I'm digging this Class Order Hall theme I've come up with.  Hopefully I can sustain the check-ins because I know how valuable the community is here for accountability and positive social activity.

18 hours ago, Terra said:

Here for the same.  Lots of contemplation as well...  

Hugs my friend!

NkyuFra.gif

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Am I the only one who reads Rurik's updates with a Jason Momoa voice in my head? I can't be the only one...

Wet Thor and Dry Aquaman approve of this message.

59 minutes ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Following along! Good to see you, sir!

Image result for jason momoa see gif"

Wolf

source.gif

We all need some Ghost of Extra Christmas in our lives this yuletide season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Hopefully I can sustain the check-ins because I know how valuable the community is here for accountability and positive social activity.

I for one get a shot of dopamine whenever I see you've posted on the forums.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

• Blood Alchemy:  More wraps. Yesterday management provided us with chicken wings at work. Probably eating too much, but better than the alternative.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Nothing today.
  • Artifact Research:  Touched base with a yoga instructor and asked my CrossFit coach friend if my ex's new boyfriend goes to "our" gym.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Honestly my week of working evenings is nothing but Me Time.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I for one get a shot of dopamine whenever I see you've posted on the forums.

Thanks buddy.

• Like 2

• Blood Alchemy:  My one and only family Christmas (not including Friendsmas on the 25th) out of the way, appetizer night. Basically holiday survival mode.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Today will be prep and cleaning and chores.
  • Artifact Research:  Nothing to report.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Scheduled a few simple Christmas lights dates this week, otherwise focusing on me.

da52aff0b730e20a685f5f5b58b51a73.jpg

• Like 3

• Blood Alchemy:  Gladly the holidays are over and I can focus on eating real foods again. So much garbage to remove!
  • Order Hall maintenance:  House projects this weekend.
  • Artifact Research:  Slowly coming to the conclusion that CrossFit is too hard on my body and all these weeks (okay, months...) of time off has proven I enjoy living painfree.  So I am strongly shifting my view toward Yoga and possibly a Muay Thai or BJJ class ran out of the local Capoeira club.  I could care less about being big and strong now (I'm already a stocky dude) but ultimately I want to move well, prevent injury, and have grappling strength and cardiovascular condition for work as a LEO and play as a 33 year old dude who isn't getting any younger. Would love to hear people's thoughts on this subject.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Caught up on a lot of sleep this week.  Now for a nice quiet Friday night.
  • Adventurer's Journal:  Continuing 12 Rules For Life, and have read several different articles on Stoicism and how to sustain a single-income indefinitely this week.
  • Like 3

I think sticking with movement that makes you feel good is the best way to go. You've proven you can do crossfit, do what works for you instead of working for a program. 

• Like 1

Just made arrangements with a CrossFit friend who runs a Yoga studio, she's giving me a complimentary intro Flow class tomorrow at 10:00am.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Slowly coming to the conclusion that CrossFit is too hard on my body and all these weeks (okay, months...) of time off has proven I enjoy living painfree.  So I am strongly shifting my view toward Yoga and possibly a Muay Thai

All this sound so familiar... #samepersondifferenttimelines

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That thought occured to me, but I wanted to let you point it out.

• Like 1

• Blood Alchemy:  Day 2 now of entirely proper food consisting of meat, vegetables and healthy carbs.
  • Order Hall maintenance:  Whole house cleaned this weekend, fireplace wall almost finished.
  • Artifact Research:  Yoga was good, feels kind of weird but glad I wasn't the only male present. Didn't feel unwelcome. Might try for a whole month and go from there. Still undecided what to do as my primary exercise routine, still haven't heard back from the Muay Thai/BJJ people.
  • The Demon Within, brooding:  Relax mode tonight.
  • Adventurer's Journal:  Haven't read much lately except for a Wikipedia crawl through the weekend.

#MomoaMonday

tumblr_o4m1af7k3N1re1ut0o2_400.gifv

On 12/27/2019 at 5:29 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think sticking with movement that makes you feel good is the best way to go. You've proven you can do crossfit, do what works for you instead of working for a program. 

I can do it, it works fantastic, but I've run up a mileage cheque on this body I'm not sure I can continue to cash and continue to sustain.

I just wish I could skip anything that puts impact force on my knees.

Or that my city had a rock climbing gym!

On 12/28/2019 at 4:09 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

tenor.gif?itemid=15573919

• Like 2