• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Just Showing Up: Tanktimus Reboots in the New Year

cb8d3b244395ad2729774c2958aac862.jpg

Perfectionism has overcome consistency in 2019. To start 2020 well means reversing that. In the last year I moved jobs in a lateral transfer from one hospital to another (I'm a chaplain), and my wife and I bought a house and had a baby (in that order). While it was an amazing year and a good one, it was stressful, and my fitness consistency went away. I never gave up in that time. Even so, I haven't worked out in so long I'm really feeling the effects. I want to try something different this time. Since consistency is more important than individual workouts, I'm focused on building consistency rather than building strength or endurance. I coined a phrase last year, "What matters with Kettlebells is not how big they are, but how often you swing them." This whole challenge is focused on building consistency. To that end, I'm redefining success for the purposess of this challenge. My goals have nothing to do with finishing workouts. Instead, my goals are all about starting them. To that end, one single rep of a KB workout counts as a win. A single forward fold of 1 second or more counts as a Yoga workout. Setting foot out the door with the baby counts as baby rucking. Furthermore, I'm not going to allow myself to complete certain workouts. The Nerd Fitness beginner Kettlebell workouts call for 3 rounds of 6 different exercises. I'm not going to allow myself to do more than one round of the KB workout for at least the first two weeks. If I've been consistent by that point, I may up the number of rounds, or I may not. No yoga sessions longer than 25 minutes. No more than a mile walking.

Why am I giving myself full credit for barely doing anything and forbidding myself from doing more? Simply put, I want to punch my perfectionism in the face, shove it on the ground, kick it in the gut and make fun of the cartoons it watched as a child. Perfectionism unchecked will keep me from starting a workout for fear I won't finish it, thereby robbing me of the benefits of what I would have done before I gave up. I can work on strength and endurance one I have habits built. The reason I'm not letting myself do very much is I don't want to burn myself out. Starting slow means staying consistent, and consistency is the best way to win at being healthy.

I'm also looking to build a routine. As such, here is what a week looks like in terms of fitness:
Monday Morning, KB workout

Tuesday Morning, Yoga

Wednesday Late Morning, KB workout

Thursday at some point, Baby Rucking

Friday Late Morning, KB workout

Saturday Late Morning, Yoga

That might seem like a lot, except I'm keeping each individual workout small and short. I'd rather have the habit of doing something six days a week than one or two days of more intense work. Intensity can come later. Consistency is key.

Here are my goals:

12 KB workouts Started (that gives me room for three days not to do them)

8 Yoga sessions started

4 Baby rucks Started

Stick with Intuitive Eating.

And that's it. At some point workout intensity and nutrition will become focuses, but that's for later. Now is for building consistency.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

On 12/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My goals have nothing to do with finishing workouts. Instead, my goals are all about starting them

This is what wisdom looks like.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 2:45 AM, Heidi said:

This is what wisdom looks like.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Xena said:

I hope you find some joy in doing them!

I hope so too.

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Just showing up to follow your thread :)

Well, there's 90% done for you then 😏

7 minutes ago, Rinna said:

Showing up, ONTHEFIRSTPAGE.  At least I think so........

You are most certainly on the first page. Well done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You are most certainly on the first page. Well done.

Yay!  Sometimes the sneakiness of others tricks me.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today we are SHOWING UP to finally see Rise of Skywalker. Little Bit isn't going, but she got into the spirit of things.

alPtbZU.jpg

What a darling!  Don’t you love that day when you realize they see you? Really see you?

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I want to punch my perfectionism in the face, shove it on the ground, kick it in the gut

I wholeheartedly cheer on you Chaplain on this one. I wrestled mine just the last Challenge and I think I emerged victorious. And if I could, I'm sure so can you :loyal:

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Simply put, I want to punch my perfectionism in the face, shove it on the ground, kick it in the gut and make fun of the cartoons it watched as a child. Perfectionism unchecked will keep me from starting a workout for fear I won't finish it, thereby robbing me of the benefits of what I would have done before I gave up.

Oh man I am HERE FOR THIS.  I've always been a big advocate of Doing The Thing even if I heck it up, which let's be fair, is a lot of the time.

(Do you think this wisdom applies to using the broiler too??)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Rinna said:

What a darling!  Don’t you love that day when you realize they see you? Really see you?

It's amazing. Now (like in the last 3 days) I have to be careful not to talk too much while she is nursing because she'll unlatch and watch me instead of eating.

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

MY WORD WHAT A CUTE LITTLE BABY ❤️ 

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, aramis said:

I wholeheartedly cheer on you Chaplain on this one. I wrestled mine just the last Challenge and I think I emerged victorious. And if I could, I'm sure so can you :loyal:

Why thank you!

7 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

W00t! 📣 🎆

🙌

7 hours ago, loire said:

Oh man I am HERE FOR THIS.  I've always been a big advocate of Doing The Thing even if I heck it up, which let's be fair, is a lot of the time.

(Do you think this wisdom applies to using the broiler too??)

Yes, it does apply. Better to try and fail, for if you fail at least you fail while daring greatly, than be counted among the timid who never attempted anything.

7 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I love these goals and I'm here (sporadically) to cheer you on! (But mostly for Little Bit pics, not gonna lie!!)

They are pretty awesome pics.

6 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Here to cheer you on!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Here for punching perfectionism in the face!

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I agree with your logic brother.

HDAX.gif

5 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Amazing challenge, sir.  I'm sure you will do great!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Xena said:

Love the picture! She looks so alert and happy 🙂

She was wide awake in that one. I'm seeing Neuro milestones all the time now.

5 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Hoping to be able to share cute (grand)kid pics with you by the end of the year.  🙏🏻

I hope so too! I'm glad you've returned.

2 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Following as usual.

Welcome as usual.

2 hours ago, Shadri said:

HI FRIEND. Congrats on baby! :D I, too, am feeling the effects of all the progress I have lost. Here's to new beginnings!

Welcome back!

Star Wars was great! We really enjoyed it! We managed to avoid all spoilers before we finally saw it today, so I'll not spoil anything. We had dinner at an Italian place then picked up our little girl from her grandparents. I plan to cook tomorrow.

For those following for the first time, I warn you, don't come her hungry.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'd rather have the habit of doing something six days a week than one or two days of more intense work. Intensity can come later. Consistency is key.

Consistify, then intensify. WOoooOOOOoooOOO!!! Ahem. What I mean is, I think this is an excellent approach. 

• Like 5

On 12/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Simply put, I want to punch my perfectionism in the face, shove it on the ground, kick it in the gut and make fun of the cartoons it watched as a child.

\o/ here for this.

• Like 1