UnquietBones begins again... (or: January Respawn Cliche, GOGOGO!)

UnquietBones

New Year's resolutions are more of a New Week resolution for me-- I'm constantly trying to readjust to get ahold of the chaos that is my life. But January resolutions have that nice crisp bite to them and I'm hoping it's enough to get me out of my rut!

I haven't been on the forums in well on forever (bad Assassin, no biscuit) so this first challenge is going to be all about getting myself set up for success for the rest of the year. I'm going to be learning how to Assassin again, and that means forum accountability check-ins, exercise reminder triggers, and all that fun stuff.

As always, my bodyweight and food adventures will be paralleled with art and writing, so there should be some fun pictures to liven up the slog. 

So, the goal for today is to pick a bodyweight exercise, determine when and where I'm going to be doing it, and then figure out a trigger for the new habit... off we go!

• Like 3

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

Here for this

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

You get a biscuit for coming back though!

And that is the tastiest biscuit of all! 😁

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here for this

I shall endeavor to be suitably entertaining! 😂🎬

• Like 1

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

I went down the rabbit hole of REALLY COOL links when I went looking for one (one!) bodyweight exercise to do this challenge. 🤦‍♀️

I ended up picking Inclined Push-Ups (with a few Wall Push-Ups thrown in randomly) since I'd like to be able to do a real honest to diety-of-your-choice push-up by the end of the year.

Requires: Clean piece of furniture and mildly awake human

Where: I am going to be using the dresser in my bedroom so I can do them first thing in the morning.

When: Right after my second alarm goes off (the first one plays classical music to wake me up, the second one plays my Google Assistant morning routine)

Trigger: The second alarm seems like a good time, since I'm listening to the Robot Minion

Pre-Steps: In order to do this, I need to:

1. Clear off the top of the furniture
  2. Find new ways to store the stuff I normally leave on top of it (like my writing laptop and my cellphone)
  3. Make sure the darned thing is sturdy enough to use
  • Like 2

Extraneous things I am also working on this challenge (but not officially) ((yet)):

1. Posting here and being social! 😄
  2. Finishing one half-painted magnet a day
  3. Writing for at least 5 minutes a day
  4. Cooking dinners all workweek
  5. Packing lunch/eating in all workweek (I'm working from home because of a cat recovering from bladder stone surgery)
  6. Fiddling around with my bullet journal to find things that work for me
  7. Planning out art and writing and the related microbusiness for this year
  8. Doubling-down on my accidental stop-Diet-Coke'ing that resulted from the week-long cold/flu/evilness
  • Like 2

Things I have done today to prep for the coming challenge:

1. Signed up for Walmart food delivery and ordered and put away the first round of foodstuffs.
  2. Cooked a new chicken stir fry recipe (with leftovers for lunch). It was... food. 6/10, will not make again, but will finish eating.
  3. I finished filling out the grids to track one of my writing projects (Saturday Story Prompts). I did one grid for the 2020 posts and then double-checked the grid from last year that has all 10 years of January checkboxes. I am still recovering from the Gutenberg Disaster, so the old posts need love.
  4. Caught up on one of the hours I owe work from last week's chaos. I want to get all four done this week so I go into the next week all shiny!
  5. Played around on the forums stealth-liking posts because lo, I am a lurker by day and, err, a lurker by night too, I guess. 😂
  6. Brainstormed a list of things I'd like to be able to say I've done in 2020!

Very Rough List of Cool Things

• Be able to do a proper push-up
  • Participate in at least half of the Nerd Fitness Events
  • Participate in all of the NaNoWriMo events (April, June, November)
  • Participate in NaMoPaiMo (February)
  • Complete Java certification
  • Stop drinking Diet Coke for realz
  • Write at least 6 more 31 Days of ebooks
  • Finish the custom order horses
  • Make a big dent in the WIP art pile
  • Read a bunch of books!
  • Like 2

That is a very cool list of very cool things!!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'm off to a bit of a bumpy start (I forgot the challenge started yesterday and not today), but it's my first time back in a while, so I'm not going to stress over it. (Or so I tell myself 😅)

The furniture I need for the inclined push-ups is currently blocked by the cat (who is currently trapped in my room for the second week of his post-bladder surgery exile), so I've been putting around the house looking for good places to do wall push-ups. Wasn't worried about tracking yet so much as just figuring out a habit that will work.

...Only I slept funny on my left shoulder on Saturday and have had my arm in a sling on and off since then to help with the pain. [ALL THE FACEPALMS GO HERE] So I've been doing very light wall push-ups. More like wall streaches, but eh, a start is a start! 

I took Bucket out for a walk with hubby this weekend and it looks like next weekend will also be nice, so yay dog walks! I also got permission from my boss to work through lunch and take off an hour early on sunny days so I can go out after work as well.

I made it through playing catch-up on work hours last week PLUS I cooked dinner every weeknight and ate leftovers for lunch. I'm hoping to keep the cooking/leftovers thing going this week-- so far I am 2 for 2! 😁

I forgot to reset my sunrise alarm clock, so this morning was rough. I have fixed that and have much better hopes for tomorrow.

I am down to one small bottle of Diet Coke in the mornings now (down from 2-4 liters) and am looking to maintain that for a bit. I've swapped to Mio and tea, but am looking to swap to water at some point in the near future. I dug out the old Brita pitcher and got a new filter-- still tastes odd, but not as bad. 

Err, hmm... I also worked on some writing and art goals!

I have a plan of attack for the serial story that starts tomorrow (just MuseFic, nothing prose-worthy quite yet) and have laid out my ideas for this year's free ebooks for the mailing list. Lost of Saturday Story Prompts in the queues!

I got all of the remaining Fat Unicorn magnets up to the Etsy shop and am halfway through the Fat Pegasus. I'd like to churn through my inventory this month so I can do takes early Feb (assuming all the other paperwork has come in). Behold the tiny far cuteness! 🤣

Fat-Unicorn-Magnet-013-White-Amethyst-Fr

• Like 3

9 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

down from 2-4 liters

That's a lot of fluids intake :o

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

11 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I got all of the remaining Fat Unicorn magnets up to the Etsy shop and am halfway through the Fat Pegasus. I'd like to churn through my inventory this month so I can do takes early Feb (assuming all the other paperwork has come in). Behold the tiny far cuteness! 🤣

I randomly thought about the fat animal magnets the other day, but couldn't remember who made them. Looking good! 

...Only I slept funny on my left shoulder on Saturday and have had my arm in a sling on and off since then to help with the pain. [ALL THE FACEPALMS GO HERE] So I've been doing very light wall push-ups. More like wall streaches, but eh, a start is a start! 

wwll-begun-is-half-done-prints.jpg

Woo, starting off well in the face of adversary. You can do it! Hope your arm is feeling better. 

I took Bucket out for a walk with hubby this weekend and it looks like next weekend will also be nice, so yay dog walks! I also got permission from my boss to work through lunch and take off an hour early on sunny days so I can go out after work as well.

That's cool that the boss is accommodating. Looks like you've got a pretty good setup for your goals this year. Easier said than done, but don't sweat the bumpy start. Life happens, you still got up and are keeping after your goals, that's what counts. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

13 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Sweeet!

I made it through playing catch-up on work hours last week PLUS I cooked dinner every weeknight and ate leftovers for lunch. I'm hoping to keep the cooking/leftovers thing going this week-- so far I am 2 for 2! 😁

Haha, that's awesome.

I love these guys. :D 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's a lot of fluids intake :o

I drank a LOT of Diet Coke... My only small win was that I never moved to non-Diet sodas. Still, DC is incredibly hard to walk away from for me-- there have been plenty of times in my life when they were the only liquid I was drinking. So, err, yay for having good enough genetics that it hasn't killed me yet? *facepalm*

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I randomly thought about the fat animal magnets the other day, but couldn't remember who made them. Looking good! 

I'm so glad their random cuteness is popping up in memory! 😊 I have plans this year to go back and revamp all of the molds so the few who never got a good cast (like the giraffe and alligator) will finally get a turn in the sun. Also I may have promised someone at Christmas that I will making a line of Fat Bears... 

wwll-begun-is-half-done-prints.jpg

Woo, starting off well in the face of adversary. You can do it! Hope your arm is feeling better. 

Sadly, no. I'm going to give it a few more days of light use, then I may have to go in for something strong. Per the interwebs the thing that is kicking my butt is the rhomboid, so I guess buffing that up will be my focus for next challenge! 🤣

That's cool that the boss is accommodating. Looks like you've got a pretty good setup for your goals this year. Easier said than done, but don't sweat the bumpy start. Life happens, you still got up and are keeping after your goals, that's what counts. 

TomorrowSelf puts up with a lot of crap from me, but I swear this year I'm going to try a little harder to make it up to her! 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, raptron said:

I love these guys. :D 

Just wait... as the year goes by there will be a small zoo's worth of them popping up in my feed! 🤣

• Like 1

Today was another win for packing lunch and cooking dinner, so looking good! 😁

The sunrise alarm clocked helped immensely this morning and I fell quite silly for forgetting about it yesterday. Sadly my shoulder is feeling worse, so I'm limited to a smaller range of stretches than I'd like. Still, t'was more than I was doing a week ago. 

I took my multivitamins, ate my banana, and had only 12oz of Diet Coke, yet again. Slowly but surely I'll work out a new normal... it will be interesting to see how the minutia of my life changes over the year! 🤔

I got another Fat Pegasus up on the Etsy store today, but not much else in the way or art of writing. I meant to do some writing tonight, but the whole Iran attack just sort of derailer my motivation to do anything. I'm hoping to refocus before bedtime, but alas...

Anywho, in happier news: have a Fat Pegasus! 😂

Fat-Pegasus-Magnet-008-White-Champagne-F

• Like 2

15 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I took my multivitamins, ate my banana, and had only 12oz of Diet Coke, yet again. Slowly but surely I'll work out a new normal... it will be interesting to see how the minutia of my life changes over the year! 🤔

\o/

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Oof, so I took on a little too much all at once and got myself in a bit of a kerfuffle goal-wise. But I've managed a few things out of this so far--

• I've been taking lunch and breakfast to work, or eating from my 'munchies' drawer instead of fast food
  • I've been cooking dinner almost every night (which gives me the leftovers for lunch)
  • I've been meal planning (and spreadsheeting) and getting Walmart deliveries so I can't say 'there's nothing to cook, let's go out' 😂
  • I've been drinking only the small bottle of Diet Coke in the morning with my pills and I'm to the point where I don't finish the bottle before it's time to leave for work
  • I've been taking a multivitamin every day, just as a tiny boost for stuff I'm probably lacking

Wall/inclined push-ups are a work in progress. I haven't been holding to the 'do this with the 6:15 alarm, so I may need a better plan. I have been doing them sporadically throughout the day, but in a less focused manner. 🤔

I have done very little writing or art, but that's because I got into the New Year's hole over overcommitting to all the Awesome Wonderful Amazing Plans... so I am scaling things waaaaay back and regrouping.

I've also been taking some time to play Graveyard Keeper which is a fun (but incredibly frustrating) game that is making me want to get back into coding my own...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Oof, so I took on a little too much all at once and got myself in a bit of a kerfuffle goal-wise. But I've managed a few things out of this so far--

• I've been taking lunch and breakfast to work, or eating from my 'munchies' drawer instead of fast food
  • I've been cooking dinner almost every night (which gives me the leftovers for lunch)
  • I've been meal planning (and spreadsheeting) and getting Walmart deliveries so I can't say 'there's nothing to cook, let's go out' 😂
  • I've been drinking only the small bottle of Diet Coke in the morning with my pills and I'm to the point where I don't finish the bottle before it's time to leave for work
  • I've been taking a multivitamin every day, just as a tiny boost for stuff I'm probably lacking

Very nice! 

5 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I have done very little writing or art, but that's because I got into the New Year's hole over overcommitting to all the Awesome Wonderful Amazing Plans... so I am scaling things waaaaay back and regrouping.

Adjusting is all part of the game.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

19 hours ago, raptron said:

Very nice! 

Adjusting is all part of the game.

I was feeling a bit down, but making that list cheered me up a bit. It's hard to see improvement when you're only looking back to the day prior, but all of these things were things I wasn't doing this time last year and that's something! 😁

I think this challenge might refocus more on a food and 'basic human maintenance' challenge and then move back into bodyweight next challenge. Because of the cat I now have to talk up and down the stairs a minimum of twice a day to clean his litter box and I think that might count as a swap out. (I am very not good at stairs so it takes me a bit of effort.) 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Poke poke, are you still alive and kicking? Hope things are going well for you. 

Oddly, Yes! 😁

I am doing much better than I expected, although my forums updates aren't quite up to snuff yet. 😅 

I have massively cut back on Diet Coke consumption and I'm are now in a place where I cook dinner each night and bring leftovers for lunch unless something comes up. I cooked twice last week because I was too lazy to go out again after I got home from work, so WIN!

Having to go up and down the stairs four times a day (upstairs and downstairs litter boxes) has done wonders for my ability to go up down the stairs. It might not be the most impressive accomplishment, but I am counting it as a serious win since I was having problems with it at the beginning of the challenge.

I've gotten a bunch of work done on both my writing and my artwork this challenge and as I head into NaMoPaiMo (National Model (horse) Painting Month), I'm in a pretty good mindset! Behold, the teeny tiny horse!! 😎

IMG_20200201_210454_442.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnquietBones said:

I have massively cut back on Diet Coke consumption and I'm are now in a place where I cook dinner each night and bring leftovers for lunch unless something comes up. I cooked twice last week because I was too lazy to go out again after I got home from work, so WIN!

Having to go up and down the stairs four times a day (upstairs and downstairs litter boxes) has done wonders for my ability to go up down the stairs. It might not be the most impressive accomplishment, but I am counting it as a serious win since I was having problems with it at the beginning of the challenge.

I've gotten a bunch of work done on both my writing and my artwork this challenge and as I head into NaMoPaiMo (National Model (horse) Painting Month), I'm in a pretty good mindset! Behold, the teeny tiny horse!! 😎

Heck yeah, those are some awesome wins. Don't sell yourself short with "might not be the most impressive accomplishment" - you are doing things you couldn't before, that's impressive. The horse looks great - how do you paint something that scale without going crosseyed? 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 2/3/2020 at 12:09 PM, Manarelle said:

Heck yeah, those are some awesome wins. Don't sell yourself short with "might not be the most impressive accomplishment" - you are doing things you couldn't before, that's impressive. The horse looks great - how do you paint something that scale without going crosseyed? 

I have magnifying glasses that I use, but my eyes are starting to get worse so this is probably the last detailed one I'll be doing (the eyes actually have multiple colors and pupils!). 😁

The weather is starting to get a little nicer here in Virginia and the daylight is lasting longer, so I'm starting to make tentative plans for this year's dog walking and how to adjust my work schedule. Thankfully my new job is pretty darned flexible, so there is a good chance I can get an extended lunch at least once a week, if not more often. 🤔 (I'm also looking into working from home one day a week so I'm around the dogs more) (and have time for those tiny 5-min chores that never get done) ((and wall pushups! 🤣))

• Like 1