Whisper tries something else.

Whisper

Been on the forums here fairly consistently for a year now. There have been ups, there have been downs. There have been gains and losses. I'm tired and I'm frustrated because it feels like I'm a year down the road, but no closer to my goals.

Dec 29, 2018 I weighed 361.4 pounds. Today I'm at 357 pounds. I couple times this year I managed to get down into the 320s, but never could keep it there or keep up the momentum. Logging food seems to help some, but it gets so tiresome, and half the time I'm just guessing.  High fat / low carb seems to help some, but I keep ending up with crazy food cravings and binge eating in the dead of night.

I'm in a cycle of trying really hard to be "good" getting some short term results, having things get crazy in life, falling back and going back up in weight. I'm tired of it. So, I'm going to try and do something different. I've heard people here talk about Intuitive Eating, contrasting it with dieting by saying something to the effect of "dieting you lose weight first and then gain it back, IE you might gain weight first, but then you keep it off for good." This has been a scary idea for me because I don't feel like I can afford  to got any heavier than I already am, but I need to break the cycle I've been in and right now don't know any other way to do it.

At @Tanktimus the Encourager suggestion, I've order Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works. When that get's here I'll start reading it and following the advice therein. I've also been reading other articles online on Intuitive and Mindful Eating. It is going to take some real changes with my relationship with food, but I am hoping that it will prove successful.

I'm not sure what I'm going to define my goals as for this challenge yet. I know sleep is there other key I need to stick with, so that'll be a part of it, but for now, I'm ready to try a different path and see if I can find what has eluded me thus far.

• Like 11

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

680531635_IMG_55891.thumb.jpg.5a14ac714923c52b84dbae1fd6c05562.jpg

Made Good progress on my bridge painting. Hopefully I can finish it up this week.

I'm not sure that the leaves covering the path turned out right...

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Defining said:

Just wanted to pop in and mention that there's an on-going IE support thread in the 'diet & nutrition' section, if you ever want to chat with other folks doing the same! :)

Thanks. I've skimmed over there a little bit. Been looking through some of the resources in the first post. 

Spoiler

You got this! I hope you find succes with IE! I love the idea of it, but have been unable to implement it myself. 

Also you might want to check out Judson Brewer's TED talk on habit change and his emotional eating course, if you have not heard of those.

For the course, scroll allllllll the way to the bottom of the page to "GET A FREE GUIDE". You get 6 emails (1 a day) with guidance. After that you are signed up to the (very infrequent) newsletter, which is about habit change.

Hope that gives you more resources to use and enjoy :) I found the content pretty helpful myself.

• Like 1

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

The last few days have been really enlightening from a body recognition and paying attention to my food perspective.

I've been doing this "Hunger Awareness Exercise" with each meal. Paying attention to how my body feels before eating and through the meal. Paying attention to my food in a way I've never really done before.

I never before realized how much hunger feels like nausea in my body. Is that normal? Do most people feel like that? Throw in some mouth watering and needing to eat is a lot like needing to throw up. Not exactly the same, but really damn close for me. I've been aiming to eat when hungry, but not ravinouse, and stop eating when I feel less hungry, but not yet full, in an attempt not to overshoot that mark.

I've also been avoiding distraction, not eating in front of the tv or computer, or book, but simply being with the food. Looking at eat. Tasting it. Even when I've tried to log food, I've never really paid attention to eat while eating. It has been a good experience thus far, and I look forward to continuing it.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:10 AM, Siferiax said:

Hope that gives you more resources to use and enjoy :) I found the content pretty helpful myself.

Thank you; I'll have to check it out.

• Like 4

Spoiler

I've had moments where I would feel nauseous and it was hunger, but usually this isn't the case. I don't really know what normal is though :P

Still sounds like you did good with the being aware of your hunger and food. Good job!

• Like 3

Spoiler

This morning, after first breakfast (5 am, coffee with fat and protein powder) and 2nd breakfast (8am, whole milk plain greek yogurt with frozen berries) I recognized that I was starting to feel ravenously hungry with over an hour and a half until Elevenses. Rather than try and ignore it, or give in to the temptation to find some donuts, I went ahead and ate one of the two slices of leftover pizza I had brought for Elevenses, and felt much better for it. I have some Powerseed bread and peanut butter with me at work in case I didn't bring enough food with me today. 

• Like 6

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Hey Whisper! :) Let me know how you like the book. Intuitive Eating is definitely something that peaks my interest. 

Great job on the painting so far. 

Book just arrived at work today! (I was expecting it to arrive at home tomorrow)

Looking forward to digging into it.

• Like 2

Spoiler

I've been reading some articles over on Healthline.com and the following really jumped out at me:

Instead of approaching weight loss from a dieting mindset, make it your primary goal to become a happier, healthier and fitter person.

Focus on nourishing your body instead of depriving it, and let weight loss follow as a natural side effect.

• Like 5

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I've been reading some articles over on Healthline.com and the following really jumped out at me:

Instead of approaching weight loss from a dieting mindset, make it your primary goal to become a happier, healthier and fitter person.

Focus on nourishing your body instead of depriving it, and let weight loss follow as a natural side effect.

this sounds like an excellent mindset! I’m going to try to steal it as much as I can.

• Like 3

Got busy at work, ended up getting really hungry and started feeling shaky. My doc had me start a new medication on Monday that has hypoglycemia as a possible side effect; I'm wondering if I might have hit that. Made and ate a peanut butter sandwich. Feeling better, debating having another.

• Like 4

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Whisper said:

This is a great mindset :) 

Sorry to hear you keep being hungry. Maybe in the morning you got really hungry because your body was craving some carbs? perhaps that's why the pizza slice helped.

I would think the berries would do the same, but sometimes it can be hard to know what our bodies want from us. Or at least that's my experience :P 

• Like 3

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Whisper said:

This is a great idea. I keep trying to tell myself that I just want to be happy and healthy and fit, but there are days (usually when I see numbers) that the numbers get stuck in a "but if the number goes down, then you have a science way to prove it."

I need to remember to focus on this part more.

• Like 2

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

43 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This is a great idea. I keep trying to tell myself that I just want to be happy and healthy and fit, but there are days (usually when I see numbers) that the numbers get stuck in a "but if the number goes down, then you have a science way to prove it."

I need to remember to focus on this part more.

It might help to consider that numbers lie. :P By that I mean that you could be 5lbs heavier and significantly leaner, and LOOK totally different. Maybe it would help to consider different numbers to replace the weight tracking? Could be hip:waist ratio, or lifting goals maybe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Doing this on my phone so I can attach the pictures without having to move them to my laptop, but doesn't look like I can spoiler on the phone... Sorry if this exploids your browser.

Had Friday off work. Started reading my IE book and worked on snow tree. Not sure if I'm finished with it or if I want to try adding fine twigs and detail to the lamp post.

20200103_124412.thumb.jpg.2f7f5fd82c7a6ae4b17a798d3cac7852.jpg

In art class today, I added the front to the bridge, and some leaves on the rocks. Not sure if done or if I want to add more to it.

IMG_5604.thumb.jpg.5610ab0cfe7acb5fc3b185c671526d6e.jpg

I found a really good frame for it, which was on a really good sale. Normally $135, got it for $35. Once painting is finished and dry I'll get it mounted.

IMG_5606.thumb.jpg.be7dacd66490f214bdefbb994548b835.jpg

I also started a small joke painting

image0000001.thumb.jpg.6a07740dc175bd3d6a82ad6f35cca5dc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Spoiler