NeverThatBored :: Architect

NeverThatBored

"You are the architect of your own imprisonment." -some self help book I read once, probably

One of my favorite anime, Chihayafuru, got a 3rd season after several years and is airing now. In a recent episode, the protagonist is in a funk because she has a tough choice to make and she doesn't know what to do. One of the side characters tells her that every time you line up the shoes left outside the door, you accumulate a single instance of good luck. Since she's been doing it every day, she's got a ton of luck accumulated in her life. She tells the protagonist that when all else fails, accumulating good luck through small actions, one by one, seems like a good way to live your life.

That episode aired a couple of months ago, but it really stuck with me. The quote above really stuck with me too. Most of the things in my life that I'm frustrated with are entirely my own fault. They're completely within my power to act on. I've built the prison I'm in. I may not know the exact path to improving things, but I agree with miss side character that instead of getting caught up by my uncertainty, I should focus on small daily actions. You can call it karma, or putting good energy into the universe, or just building a foundation of healthy habits...but it's all functionally the same idea. Things like picking up a piece of trash when I'm leaving a room, sending a quick message to a coworker to let them know where I am with something I'm working on, etc. all add up and create momentum in life, even if you don't know what you're building momentum for. 

Challenge Goals:

1. Report here regularly about what kind of positive small actions I've taken to accumulate my good luck/momentum/whatever you want to call it.
    • I might experiment with putting beads in a jar as a visual tool to represent actions I'm taking, but idk if that'll actually work.
  2. Get back into the habit of using a bullet journal or any form of daily to do list that works for me. I'm aiming for every weekday. 
  3. Experiment with 1 screen free day per week - by screen free I mean social media/video game/tv/internet browsing free, not necessarily actually screen free (e.g. if I want to watch an ukulele tutorial and work on playing something, that's fine)
  4. Do extra pullup work 2x/week after Crossfit...this is already a habit, but I feel like it's worth listing and tracking for a challenge while I get back into it after a break during the holidays
  5. Mobility - go to a weekly yoga class
  6. Driving
    • Identify driving schools where I can find someone to teach me to parallel park - bonus points if I actually contact them and set something up
    • Practice driving places:
      1. Somewhere in CA during start of challenge?
      2. Cafe nearby that I've never personally driven to
      3. Park where I go when I want to ride my bike
      4. Parking lot by the water
  • Like 13

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Ooo.  Parallel parking.

I'm not inherently skilled at many things in life.  But parallel parking?  Is one of them.

Want to feel like an ULTIMATE BADASS?? Learn and pull off the parallel park.  If anyone can do it?  YOU can. ❤️ 

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

5 hours ago, loire said:

Ooo.  Parallel parking.

I'm not inherently skilled at many things in life.  But parallel parking?  Is one of them.

Want to feel like an ULTIMATE BADASS?? Learn and pull off the parallel park.  If anyone can do it?  YOU can. ❤️ 

Thanks~

I was fine at it the one or two times I tried it when I was learning to drive, but it's not on the CA driving test, so I never really focused on it! I think it will help me feel more confident about driving places if I know I can park when I get there. 

• Like 2

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

Quick update - 

I went to a yoga class and drove there GPS-free, so I've checked two items off my list! I also got to see a friend who was in town and drove us around a little - I asked him a few questions about where to go but I also generally knew where I was going and didn't use a GPS, so that's sort of a bonus drive!

I ordered a tear off notepad with a weekly to-do list template to try - it might be more effective than a bullet journal for me since it's always visible, and to-do lists are the main thing I do with a bullet journal anyway.

• Like 10

On 12/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, NeverThatBored said:
  • I might experiment with putting beads in a jar as a visual tool to represent actions I'm taking

ooh I like this idea

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

The most current of all: Final Boss  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 12/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, NeverThatBored said:

all add up and create momentum in life, even if you don't know what you're building momentum for. 

This is really really well said - I love this sentiment so much.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:35 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I ordered a tear off notepad with a weekly to-do list template to try - it might be more effective than a bullet journal for me since it's always visible, and to-do lists are the main thing I do with a bullet journal anyway.

Ooh good idea! I would be lost without my bullet journal, but I'm in the same boat it's really just a to-do list I don't do a whole lot else with it.

• Like 1

My Headspace subscription expired, and I've decided not to renew it for now. I kind of wanted to stop subscribing to it a while back, but I couldn't bear to break my multi-year streak! When I finally broke my streak back in October, I thought "I don't have to re-subscribe this year!" 

Meditation is something I really like and want to keep exploring, but I was getting tired of the Headspace format and it had become something I was just doing to check a box. I found myself doing their 1-3 minute "mini sessions" A LOT, which I don't think really offer much value. I haven't thought much about how I want to approach it, but in general I want to focus on quality over quantity/streaks.

Here's a random list of small actions I've taken since I posted my challenge:

• I made two extra trips to put away some medicine balls someone else left out at the end of a Crossfit WOD
  • I wiped down the bathroom sink when I noticed it was getting a little dusty instead of putting it off
  • A larger lady was pulling out a chair to sit down at a table near me, and I slid my table back a little so she wouldn't feel crowded (it was a tight space)
  • I complimented a lady's Hello Kitty wallet instead of just noticing it
  • I cleaned up some food my dad had dropped on the counter so my mom wouldn't have to do it
  • I folded the clothes my mom left in the dryer instead of just moving them when I was doing laundry
  • I texted an acquaintance who posted on fb about being lonely 
  • Like 8

On 12/29/2019 at 10:11 PM, NeverThatBored said:

I should focus on small daily actions. You can call it karma, or putting good energy into the universe, or just building a foundation of healthy habits...but it's all functionally the same idea. Things like picking up a piece of trash when I'm leaving a room, sending a quick message to a coworker to let them know where I am with something I'm working on, etc. all add up and create momentum in life, even if you don't know what you're building momentum for. 

4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Here's a random list of small actions I've taken since I posted my challenge:

• I made two extra trips to put away some medicine balls someone else left out at the end of a Crossfit WOD
  • I wiped down the bathroom sink when I noticed it was getting a little dusty instead of putting it off
  • A larger lady was pulling out a chair to sit down at a table near me, and I slid my table back a little so she wouldn't feel crowded (it was a tight space)
  • I complimented a lady's Hello Kitty wallet instead of just noticing it
  • I cleaned up some food my dad had dropped on the counter so my mom wouldn't have to do it
  • I folded the clothes my mom left in the dryer instead of just moving them when I was doing laundry
  • I texted an acquaintance who posted on fb about being lonely 

I love this!  Do the things and you will become the person, or something...

Have you ever watched Drew Dudleys Ted Talk?  If not it's six minutes and will re-enforce the good work going on here!

Love the new challenge goals - good luck accumulating luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

7 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Have you ever watched Drew Dudleys Ted Talk?  If not it's six minutes and will re-enforce the good work going on here!

I haven't - I'll take a look! I love a good TED Talk! 

Steve's email today:

"You can do strength training AND martial arts.

Or strength training AND running.

Or strength training AND yoga."

Me: "But what about doing all 4??" :P

• Haha 5

I did a full height box jump!! A lot of people start crossfit and can do these right away, but it's been a long road for me. I think it was mainly a fear thing, but I've been steadily increasing the height of my jumps and I finally did one! Then I did about 90 more over the course of the workout so I can probably never argue about doing regular height ones after this. :P 2020's off to a great start! 

I tried the first yoga video from Yoga with Adrienne's 30 day yoga thing she does every January. I LOVED the first one of these I ever did with her, but I think I've gradually fallen out of love with her videos. I feel like she spends way too much time talking and being philosophical when I just want to flow. I found myself very impatient with the video and ended up turning it off. I'm not sure if she's always done that and it just started to bother me, or if she's started doing it more over the past few years. Either way - not for me anymore!

It's been cold, but we finally have some nice warm California sunshine, so I went on a nice hike today in a new area I've been wanting to explore. I've felt more confident driving around here lately, although I made some bad choices in a parking lot that definitely humbled me. The hike was really nice and I wish I'd done it for longer, but I was a little worried about my legs. Lately, my calves often start burning when I walk, which is really frustrating. 😕 I think it's all connected to my feet/shin issues. When it happens, going on walks starts to feel like an exercise in pain tolerance. I LOVE hiking, so I really hope I can figure out a solution to these issues. 

• Like 5

On 12/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Identify driving schools where I can find someone to teach me to parallel park

I'm going to brag a bit here:  I had to retake the drivers test last year because I had let my Utah license expire in, uh, 2008... :D   The tester had me stop and demonstrate a parallel park and when I had finished it she looked at me and whispered "that parking job was a thing of beauty" :D :D :D 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, NeverThatBored said:

e.g. if I want to watch an ukulele tutorial and work on playing something

Where do you usually go for uke tutorials?  

Image result for asking for a friend gif -site:pinterest.*

43 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I did a full height box jump!!

Woohoo! Congratulations!!!

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Well done on the box jumps! It's such a mental game, but now once you've got it you'll always be able to do them.

• Thanks 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm going to brag a bit here:  I had to retake the drivers test last year because I had let my Utah license expire in, uh, 2008... :D   The tester had me stop and demonstrate a parallel park and when I had finished it she looked at me and whispered "that parking job was a thing of beauty" :D :D :D 

I see your ninja skills extend to driving! 🤺

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Where do you usually go for uke tutorials?  

I've just been using YouTube - there are a few teachers on there who make tons of tutorials for different songs and techniques. And most of them have Patreons, so if you find someone you like, you can throw them $1-$5 a month for some extra content.

At some point, I should probably learn some scales and music theory and such, but for now I'm pretty content going song by song and learning a new skill or two with each one. 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I really hope you can figure out the walking situation. I probably missed it, but do you have any rehab exercises or other things that you can do for it?

No, I don't. I have a referral to an orthopedist that I'm going to follow up with when I get back to VA next week, although I really think it's a PT issue. I have really aggressively flat feet and I think the problems probably stem from that. I've struggled with shin splits on and off for like 5 years, but that was always associated with running. The issues when I'm just walking are fairly new. 😕 I need to find some new walking shoes that are better for my feet and see if that helps at all.

• Like 2

Ok, officially week 1! I'm probably not going to do my no-screen day in Week 1, since it's nearly impossible while I'm staying with my parents (the tv is always on). I'm trying to decide whether it would be easier to attempt a weekend or a weekday first. Weekends will be harder but also probably have the most impact. But weekdays present their own challenges - since I'm on a computer for work, it becomes very easy to accidentally do something by accident. On the other hand, it might be good for focusing on work.

Note to self: If I accidentally do something screen-y on a no-screen day, that doesn't mean I've failed. I can stop doing the thing once I catch myself and continue with the no-screen day. 

I downloaded an app called Offtime that theoretically blocks apps of your choice during certain times...but it doesn't seem to have that function unless you pay for the pro membership? I think it did up until recently, so I'm a little confused about whether this is a new change or I'm just missing something. I'll have to find another solution for that. I want access to some apps - GPS, texting, etc. But I'd like to be able to block apps that I'll reflexively open, like instagram. 

Other Challenge Plans for Week 1:

• I already hit my CA driving goal, so I don't think I'll be doing any more map-free driving while I'm here
  • I won't have my tear-off weekly planner sheets until next week, but I'll work on keeping a to-do list for the day on paper while I'm here. I also downloaded the google keep app, which is really useful because I can sync it between my work computer and my phone. 
  • Pullup work won't realistically restart until next week either 
  • Mobility - I'm not dying to pay the crazy drop in fee for another yoga class while I'm in CA, but I'll sub in a video for this week. I'll also focus on doing a little bit of daily stretching this week.
  • Like 6

Congrats on the box jumps. You'll be doing 24" jumps in no time!

What additional pull up work are you doing before crossfit? I was told by my one of our coaches "Negatives, negatives and more negatives" but oh my god are they boring and annoying! I do like....3 of them and get fed up!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"