• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter flips and glides into the new year

2020 eh. There's a lot I could say, but since actions speak louder than words let's keep this short and sweet. 🙃

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4HlfXhCtjko7ia1AB4ks

Good vibes only - Last year I was sad more often than in a long time, this year I'm going to do my best to prevent that from happening. To start with, I'm going to revive an old challenge goal of each day writing down all positive actions I made throughout the day.

pinya-dance.gif

Morning boogie

Get out of bed straight away

B Groove to 1 song within an hour of waking up

C Make a doodle

AW314479_11.gif

Flippy homework 

A Bridges 6x

B Macacos 6x

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Morning boogie

Get out of bed straight away

B Groove to 1 song within an hour of waking up

C Make a doodle

Great morning routine! :) 

I assume "groove" === ugly dance 💃 :P When do people/kids stop doing that? I find myself still randomly jumping/"dancing" to some songs several times a week. But I've always gotten the feeling that I'm the only one my age who still does that. That I really "should" have stopped doing that when I became an adult... Seeing your list makes me hopeful that more people sometimes get the urge to just jump up and down to a good song :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I assume "groove" === ugly dance 💃 :P When do people/kids stop doing that? I find myself still randomly jumping/"dancing" to some songs several times a week. But I've always gotten the feeling that I'm the only one my age who still does that. That I really "should" have stopped doing that when I became an adult... Seeing your list makes me hopeful that more people sometimes get the urge to just jump up and down to a good song :D 

You know what, I really don't like the term ugly dancing. There's the I'm not really trying dancing, or the hiding behind silly moves dancing. There's being untrained. But as long as you're feeling the music and moving and expressing yourself, whatever your level, there's no such thing as ugly dancing, it's all beautiful to me. And everyone should do more of it. :) 

Personally I do it all the time. Then again people always make fun of my level of adultedness so that doesn't really say anything. Or maybe it says everything. Either way it's their loss. More grooving => more joy.

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Yay!

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here for the flippy stuff!

Well, everything actually, but especially the flippy stuff :) 

I'm not to big on new year's resolution but I really want learn ONE flip this year, doesn't even matter which one!

• Like 3

Love the positive actions list ❤️ 

And I learned so much from you introducing it! I still do it often in my journal or just in the evenings when I'm feeling blah. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

there's no such thing as ugly dancing, it's all beautiful to me

Wow, that's a very zen way of looking at it :) Thumbs Up

ugly dancing to me is "I don't know what the heck I'm doing, so I'm just going to try to move to the music"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Love the positive actions list ❤️ 

And I learned so much from you introducing it! I still do it often in my journal or just in the evenings when I'm feeling blah. 

That's amazing!

I hope that by focusing on positive actions I can get rid of some of the negativity that's been creeping in. Something that hit home after our chat on self compassion.

4 hours ago, Tobbe said:

ugly dancing to me is "I don't know what the heck I'm doing, so I'm just going to try to move to the music"

That's not ugly dancing, that's untrained beginner dancing! :) 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's not ugly dancing, that's untrained beginner dancing! :) 

I'm fine with that. I think that's what I'll do the rest of my life :) Getting better at dancing is not something I see myself spending any kind of time on. But if I had to choose I think I'd like to learn how to shuffle 🕺

Gotta start the challenge right with two back to back flippy workshops! 

First some backstory - after visiting a trampoline park with my mum  this Christmas (OMG SO MUCH FUN and did I mention my mum’s awesome?) and experiencing the glory of the foam pit I started checking out which other places I could train at. Besides foam pits and tramps I wanted somewhere where I could train more often, as once a week is just not enough time for me to learn to flip. I need more frequency and more air time. So I found this cheerleading/tumbling gym that’s conveniently located right between my house and my work and it’s HYUOOGE! And it seems like it’s open more or less all day for training? Pretty cool. 

To try it out I signed up for two one hour workshops, which were advertised as back handsprings and back tucks. At first when I came in I was a bit confused because there were a lot of people there, pretty much exclusively very fit female teenagers. Didn’t feel out of place at all. 😅I found some grown ups to ask who the teacher was but they didn’t know, they were just there for training. When I found my group it turned out I was 2-4x the age of the other students. Basically I could be their mom haha. But you know what, it turned out it didn’t matter. We were all there to train, and we all struggled with our own things. I saw some girls struggling with fear, some with technique, the youngest ones with coordination - which was super interesting. Several struggled with for example jumping to a squat from kneeling. 

Things I worked on (after a bunch of common drills) were lots of back handsprings into the foam pit (WHEEEEE), and going over backwards starting from lying down on a tall block/mattress thing. The second workshop was a lot more free form compared to the first, and I decided to take a step back and work on roundoffs, both on the floor and into the pit. Also some handstand to bridges but I don’t feel my bridge is up to scratch so I didn’t try all the way to the floor. But with a little bit of extra bridge work this challenge I’m sure I’ll get comfortable soon enough.

Overall it was a very good session - good training, good teaching, I really enjoyed the teacher and the session and I feel that it’d be super useful if I could take more lessons there, maybe for adults haha. The regular classes are a bit more structured with levels with prerequisites so I’ll have to see how I can fit things in once the schedule is released. If I can’t then it’s still a cool facility to train at, and at least at the moment they have open training pretty much all day every day. Which means I can’t blame lack of training opportunities if I can’t learn to flip. 😜

Oh, neat side note - they have a nice big bell that you can ding when you acquired a new skill! 😄

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

I'm fine with that. I think that's what I'll do the rest of my life :) Getting better at dancing is not something I see myself spending any kind of time on. But if I had to choose I think I'd like to learn how to shuffle 🕺

Getting past that stage is not at all a necessity. What's important is that you don't stop. And don't call it ugly dancing.

Good choice.

33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

First some backstory - after visiting a trampoline park with my mum  this Christmas (OMG SO MUCH FUN and did I mention my mum’s awesome?) and experiencing the glory of the foam pit I started checking out which other places I could train at.

I visited a trampoline park for the first time ever this past summer, and it was so much fun! I would 💯 go more often if I lived closer to one (this one is ~ 3h away by car). They didn't have a foam pit, but they had some kind of air bag thing instead which I think is even better because you don't have all the foam blocks flying everywhere :)  

36 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

So I found this cheerleading/tumbling gym that’s conveniently located right between my house and my work and it’s HYUOOGE! And it seems like it’s open more or less all day for training? Pretty cool. 

The perks of living in a bigger city 👍 Sometimes I wonder, why would anyone ever want to big in a big, dirty, expensive, city? But having access to stuff like that, the variety of things you can try. And the convenience of having everything close by. And having multiple work opportunities. Stuff like that is obviously tempting :) And if you're alone, I can see how sitting in an otherwise empty house in the middle of nowhere isn't for everyone :P 

23 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Woohoo! I love how you are so good a finding classes, and not afraid to (literally) jump right in and try them.

Agreed! And add to that being surrounded by people that speak a language you're not fluent in and it makes it even more impressive.

• Like 2

Struggling with your own things, together. ❤️

Sounds like another place I really like :) 

And that gym sounds awesome all around! The bell is a nice bonus :D

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I visited a trampoline park for the first time ever this past summer, and it was so much fun! I would 💯 go more often if I lived closer to one (this one is ~ 3h away by car). They didn't have a foam pit, but they had some kind of air bag thing instead which I think is even better because you don't have all the foam blocks flying everywhere :)  

Nice! The blocks don't really go flying, but a bag might be easier to get out of. I swear trying to crawl out from that pit is half the battle.

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

The perks of living in a bigger city 👍 Sometimes I wonder, why would anyone ever want to big in a big, dirty, expensive, city? But having access to stuff like that, the variety of things you can try. And the convenience of having everything close by. And having multiple work opportunities. Stuff like that is obviously tempting :) And if you're alone, I can see how sitting in an otherwise empty house in the middle of nowhere isn't for everyone :P 

Helsinki is neither big nor dirty. 😛Especially where I live. (Let's not talk about expensive haha) But I see your point. I do like this place as a compromise - nature is extremely accessible while still having everything I need. Sometimes I wonder if ditching everything and move to the forest would be for me, but I'm sure I'd get too bored and lonely! 

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Woohoo! I love how you are so good a finding classes, and not afraid to (literally) jump right in and try them.

Thanks, though I really don't think there's anything to trying a class. The worst thing that could happen is that I won't like it and leave. :) 

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Agreed! And add to that being surrounded by people that speak a language you're not fluent in and it makes it even more impressive.

Nah, they all speak English.

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Struggling with your own things, together. ❤️

Sounds like another place I really like :) 

And that gym sounds awesome all around! The bell is a nice bonus :D

I think it might be a little too serious as my regular hangout. And too many booty shorts. But I have a good feeling about the training.

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Looks like a flipping awesome challenge! (someone needed to make the pun)

And love the simplicity you've got going on, excited to follow along and root for you!

Thanks for the help. 😉

I tried. It took a lot of effort to cut down my initial list by 80%. 🙈

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

This is the best! :D

Following!

It's very cute!

Yay!

• Like 2

Good vibes only

• Tried a new training space
  • Didn't let it get to my head how old, unfit and unskilled I am compared to everyone else at the gym haha 😅
  • Did a bunch of flippy things
  • Sketched on my iPad and tried to figure out how brushes work
  • Made tasty Thai style ground turkey omelette with soy sesame spinach and broccoli
  • Mostly cleaned up after making food (I was pooped, ok)
  • Picked up my new toy from the post office and assembled it

Get out of bed 1/7

Groove 1/7

Doodle 1/7 though technically I missed the time limit by getting distracted by brushes while my pencil was charging

Macacos 0/6

Bridges 0/6

• Like 9

Oh yes, trampoline parks are awesome!  But I also don't enjoy trying to crawl out of the foam pits, especially if you have mis-timed something and ended up going in head first. 

That cheerleading place sounds great.  You have soooo many cool places to train I am more than a little jealous ;) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh, neat side note - they have a nice big bell that you can ding when you acquired a new skill! 😄

:onthego:

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

When I found my group it turned out I was 2-4x the age of the other students.

:D I don't understand why it's so much harder to find flippy stuff for adults !@#

20 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Sometimes I wonder, why would anyone ever want to big in a big, dirty, expensive, city? But having access to stuff like that, the variety of things you can try. And the convenience of having everything close by. And having multiple work opportunities. Stuff like that is obviously tempting :) And if you're alone, I can see how sitting in an otherwise empty house in the middle of nowhere isn't for everyone :P 

I have lived in fairly big cities and I really prefer the human size ones, even if I can't get access to as many opportunities. I can't stand commutes anymore (there is everything but it's not that close by in reality). That said, I looked up Helsinki and it's not that big in terms of population.

• Like 1

Hello @Mad Hatter! I love your challenge, especially the idea of jamming to your favorite tunes in the morning. This is a great way to set the tone for the day.

I'm following because I look forward to all the positive energy. 😁

6 hours ago, @mu said:

I have lived in fairly big cities and I really prefer the human size ones, even if I can't get access to as many opportunities. I can't stand commutes anymore (there is everything but it's not that close by in reality). That said, I looked up Helsinki and it's not that big in terms of population.

Hah. It's all relative I guess :P 650 k in the city and 1.2 m in the greater Helsinki is pretty big if you ask me. Closest town from where I live is 3500 people. Next town over is much bigger. That's where my wife goes to work. That city is 70 k (greater area)... If Helsinki was in Sweden, it would have been the second biggest city. So yeah, to me it's a big city!

On 1/1/2020 at 4:14 AM, Tobbe said:

Hah. It's all relative I guess

That's for sure.  The population of the city I live in is double the population of Sweden and Finland combined.  We have housing complexes with higher populations than Helsinki.  And yet for all of that, we don't have nearly as many Assassin training centers.  That just doesn't seem right.

• Like 1