Mad Hatter flips and glides into the new year

Mad Hatter

Hey MH! We've got a similar vibe going on with small actions this challenge. :) 

I'm here for the morning grooves! 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 12/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, Tobbe said:

Toy? What did you get?

Handstand canes! Still trying to figure out how to use them in a way that doesn't feel too scary, I think I might stick to arm balances for now to get used to them. 😅

On 12/31/2019 at 1:56 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Oh yes, trampoline parks are awesome!  But I also don't enjoy trying to crawl out of the foam pits, especially if you have mis-timed something and ended up going in head first. 

That cheerleading place sounds great.  You have soooo many cool places to train I am more than a little jealous ;) 

😄

For being a small place we really do have a lot of places!

On 12/31/2019 at 3:19 PM, @mu said:

:onthego:

:D I don't understand why it's so much harder to find flippy stuff for adults !@#

I have lived in fairly big cities and I really prefer the human size ones, even if I can't get access to as many opportunities. I can't stand commutes anymore (there is everything but it's not that close by in reality). That said, I looked up Helsinki and it's not that big in terms of population.

This place does have adult classes, just not during the winter break. Here it's actually easy to find - at the top of my head I can think of eight places that offers adult flippy classes! If you include acro yoga, pole/aerial and handstands that list gets even longer. 

On 12/31/2019 at 4:50 PM, WolfDreamer said:

Hello @Mad Hatter! I love your challenge, especially the idea of jamming to your favorite tunes in the morning. This is a great way to set the tone for the day.

I'm following because I look forward to all the positive energy. 😁

Hello hello welcome! It really is. :) 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, Tobbe said:

Hah. It's all relative I guess :P 650 k in the city and 1.2 m in the greater Helsinki is pretty big if you ask me. Closest town from where I live is 3500 people. Next town over is much bigger. That's where my wife goes to work. That city is 70 k (greater area)... If Helsinki was in Sweden, it would have been the second biggest city. So yeah, to me it's a big city!

Fair enough. But it feels small. Especially with the amount of nature.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, WhiteGhost said:

We have housing complexes with higher populations than Helsinki.

That's bonkers. 😂Why do you think there's not many assassin training centres? Is it the same for other sports like climbing or muggle sports?

7 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Hey MH! We've got a similar vibe going on with small actions this challenge. :) 

I'm here for the morning grooves! 

Cool, will check out for inspo!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sylph said:

I always like your positive actions lists. :)

ME. TOO.

👋

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Good thing it's zero week as I realized I need to tweak my morning goals a little. On some days I'm full of energy and it's easy to get going, but when I'm tired or sore (as I've been for three days after doubling up on flippiness haha) the resistance is strong, particularly to do any physical activity. But I also know that I feel sooo much better after moving in the morning, no matter how tired I am. I know this from my morning office gym sessions. Sure sometimes that means I spend most of it warming up or lying on the floor or prehabbing. But it's much better than skipping the session, my body feels better and more mobile and I'm more awake, which is why I want to include movement in a morning routine. Dancing in particular because it's fun and lowkey and good tunes is a great start to the day! 💃

Going to the office gym is a really strong habit by now (pretty much the only solid habit in my life...), so I'm trying to work backwards for why that has worked out so well.

- It's scheduled. I don't like schedules but it might be worth experimenting with, at least on weekdays.

- It's followed up by quality hanging out time over coffee with A and sometimes M before anyone else has arrived. I'm sure my brain perceives this as a reward even though the gym is technically not a requirement. I'm not sure what kind of reward would work at home.

- Going outside sends a signal that the day's started. Both by getting some fresh air and light (most of the year), but also because I have to brush my teeth and put on pants and all that. This is worth trying.

Also even if I really like the idea of drawing in the morning, I'm not actually sure it's the best time for me. I don't like feeling rushed when I'm drawing, which easily happens in the morning, and sometimes it takes time for my brain to wake up. Instead I'm going to move out this goal from the morning routine and keep it as a daily goal. Even though practice is of course the most important thing for learning to draw, in this challenge I'll allow myself 10 free passes to watch a tutorial or read something on the topic for days when I don't have time.

Another thing I've been thinking about is that about 80% of my challenges fail and by far the biggest reason is that I'm not really trying. I mostly like having challenges. 🙈So my NF resolution for this year is to give challenges a solid effort, and not just give myself points when it fits.

Reflections done, here are some good vibes from the past few days.

Good vibes only

• Spent a lot of time with friends on New Year's eve and day ❤️
  • Made plans to hang out with friends I used to hang out with all the time but kinda stopped last year
  • Chores (laundry, tidied flat, cleaned kitchen)
  • Not a positive action per se - but chopping food with my new beautiful knife I got for christmas is SUCH a pleasure. The joy of freshly sharpened knives.
  • Reinstalled the app Freedom. Because I can't seem to do moderation well. When I had a complete internet junk bank as a challenge last year it was easy, but finding a balance since has been difficult for some reason. It's easier to let the app set boundaries for me.
  • Recycled cardboard box and put away suitcase to the basement
  • Bought more plants for the flat
  • Bought and changed broken oven light
  • Went climbing! It was good, though the coffee (?) beforehand made me all weird and jittery and I felt oddly stressed on the wall. And I need to get more fit.

(Will change tracking system after zero week)

Get out of bed 4/7

Groove 4/7

Doodle 1/7

Macacos 1/6

Bridges 0/6

• Like 8

Ohh, your analysis already makes it seem like a solid effort is happening. 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh forgot one thing - having to clear up floor space is very off putting first thing in the morning. Another part of the morning routine goal will be to tidy the living room the evening before.

Same for space on the kitchen counters to make some proper food.. Evening routines really do decide how the morning will go. 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Handstand canes! Still trying to figure out how to use them in a way that doesn't feel too scary, I think I might stick to arm balances for now to get used to them. 😅

Oh my gowwwwd :D super awesome new toy, what sort of model did you end up getting? (pics?)

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:
  • Reinstalled the app Freedom. Because I can't seem to do moderation well. When I had a complete internet junk bank as a challenge last year it was easy, but finding a balance since has been difficult for some reason. It's easier to let the app set boundaries for me.

I'm the same way. I do pretty well with all-or-nothing goals, but when I start thinking that I can just moderate and make reasonable decisions, it doesn't go well! 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 1/4/2020 at 1:00 AM, KB Girl said:

Ohh, your analysis already makes it seem like a solid effort is happening. 

Same for space on the kitchen counters to make some proper food.. Evening routines really do decide how the morning will go. 

The kitchen counters are a project for another day. :P 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:52 AM, @mu said:

Oh my gowwwwd :D super awesome new toy, what sort of model did you end up getting? (pics?)

These guys! https://handstand.shop/handstand_canes

Because they were cheap and I didn't want to pay a lot for entry level canes. 🤷‍♀️

14 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'm the same way. I do pretty well with all-or-nothing goals, but when I start thinking that I can just moderate and make reasonable decisions, it doesn't go well! 

Moderation is overrated. ;) 

Good day! 

Buuut I've lost my handstands again... I wonder what it takes for me to be able to keep a skill without always needing to practice it. Anyway, back to the grind it is!

Good vibes only

• Floor flow video
  • A few handstands, trying to remember how to after the break!
  • A bit of body care, my shoulder’s still a bit iffy
  • Multiple short walks
  • Made chocolate balls meant as a present (but I screwed up and the texture was gross)
  • Tidied up after using the kitchen
  • Had dinner and chilled at friends’ house 😊

Some quick sketches for accountability.

Spoiler

The exercise was to find simplified shapes in a reference photo and build up the drawing from those. The second traditional turned out more accurate in the proportions (though I rushed it), but it was easier for me to build up shapes in digital with the help of light colors.

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.9e049ad0c45b6e9f1e8bcb6a734f6bd3.JPG

IMG_7761.thumb.jpg.e89a25087582a9d8dd9d84b8bc2094a1.jpg

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I wonder what it takes for me to be able to keep a skill without always needing to practice it

If you ever figure this one out please let me know.  I could really use that 😜 

34 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Some quick sketches for accountability.

Neat!

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 1/3/2020 at 1:14 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Ohh, I've seen those things before. Had no clue that was the name for them though :)  So do they make handstanding easier because you have something to grab on to? Or are they just so you can do deeper handstand presses? :P  But yeah, super scary being that high up in the air!

On 1/3/2020 at 1:14 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Fair enough. But it feels small. Especially with the amount of nature.

This is exactly what I loved about Copenhagen as well when we lived there. The part of town we lived in was really quiet, had lots of parks and lakes ❤️  And our courtyard was totally secluded and full of grass, tress, bushes and other greens. 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

If you ever figure this one out please let me know.  I could really use that 😜 

Neat!

Deal!

I'm not very happy about the results, but hey it's practice!

4 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Ohh, I've seen those things before. Had no clue that was the name for them though :)  So do they make handstanding easier because you have something to grab on to? Or are they just so you can do deeper handstand presses? :P  But yeah, super scary being that high up in the air!

Yes exactly, it's (supposedly) easier as you have a bit more leverage for corrections. It also makes some skills easier to train for, like elbow levers and L-sits where your feet easily drop down. If you're a performer the increased height also helps with visibility.

23 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes exactly, it's (supposedly) easier as you have a bit more leverage for corrections. It also makes some skills easier to train for, like elbow levers and L-sits where your feet easily drop down. If you're a performer the increased height also helps with visibility.

Do you have parallettes as well? Or have you at least tried? How do they compare? When would you choose one over the other?

13 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Do you have parallettes as well? Or have you at least tried? How do they compare? When would you choose one over the other?

I haven't, but it should be very similar in terms of mechanics. Of course you'd have to get used to balancing with a different part of your wrist, which I'm sure feels a bit odd at first, and build some strength, but otherwise the same. If you want to perform or do one arm handstands I'd choose canes, if you have problems with the wrists I'd choose parallettes. Otherwise I'd choose whatever you feel like. 

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

🤩 did you a request a particular spacing between canes or did you take the standard?

It's true canes are the circus handstand apparatus of choice. I think parallettes were originally just invented as a fitness/gymnastics tool derived from parallel bars. But maybe that will change :) I don't have the skills for it but I'd love to make up a little show routine of some sort on parallettes. I'd dress them up, maybe I'd paint them in rainbow and fix a horn on each of them and dress them as the fancy duo of unicorns they are :D And I'd pretend I'm doing some handstand vaulting on fantastic poneys and... Ok I'll stop there :lol: 

The frogs are cute. I really like both of them. I think in the first one, you really got the froggy/rubbery texture

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yay! Sketching and Dancing are awesome goals! I love your frogs. Please share all your doodles! Where are you getting the exercises from? 

Thanks, will do! Some exercises are from a book my friend lent to me https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/168814.Keys_to_Drawing which I really enjoy. It's somehow very friendly and has a lot of exercises. I don't foresee he's getting this particular copy back. I also treated myself to a subscription on schoolism.com, but only done one lesson so far. 

13 hours ago, @mu said:

🤩 did you a request a particular spacing between canes or did you take the standard?

It's true canes are the circus handstand apparatus of choice. I think parallettes were originally just invented as a fitness/gymnastics tool derived from parallel bars. But maybe that will change :) I don't have the skills for it but I'd love to make up a little show routine of some sort on parallettes. I'd dress them up, maybe I'd paint them in rainbow and fix a horn on each of them and dress them as the fancy duo of unicorns they are :D And I'd pretend I'm doing some handstand vaulting on fantastic poneys and... Ok I'll stop there :lol: 

The frogs are cute. I really like both of them. I think in the first one, you really got the froggy/rubbery texture

Standard spacing, it seemed a safe option. It turned out great for handstands, but my hips are too wide for L-sit transitions unless I bend my arms. Not that I can do that anyway. :P 

Aaah please do that routine, I love your description! :D The problem with parallettes for traditional handbalancing is that they don't rotate. Quite often you also see 3 or even more canes. Though I can imagine a setup where you have several parallettes in formation, maybe at different heights to get a more interesting dynamic effect...

• Like 2

Back on the handstand train! It was hard. I aimed for 25 handstands, which took a very long time as it was all brute force and no technique, and many of my kick ups failed. Mostly by being planchy and energy sapping. 10 of the 25 were over 10 seconds, but super wobbly. Particularly when I had to do the silly thing called breathing, threw my balance right off. But it was good to get properly started again. It's not like I haven't been training at all, but it's been irregular and not in my normal environments.

I also did some light backbending. I still need to find a happy midpoint between myFlex and my old much more intense training, one that I enjoy. 🤔I tried a few drop backs and on the first one I almost landed on my face. 😂I figured it out for the next two, and I still have decent control on the way down, but I didn't even try getting back up.

Daily sketches

Spoiler

Disclaimer - I was on the phone with my parents, standing in front of a mirror, holding my sketch book in one hand, drawing with the other, while trying not to move. There's no undo with a pen. And my hair was terrible haha. 

IMG_7764.thumb.jpg.9d07ffbc96feaeba1693dabbb65a29aa.jpg

Good vibes only

• Longer morning walk as it was a really pretty sunny, day
  • Worked through the reboot HS grind.
  • Backbends light
  • Rolled on the floor a lot
  • Chatted to with long distance friend
  • Cleaned while cooking dinner, did laundry

Macacos 1/6

Bridges 1/6

• Like 9

For the canes, from what I remember of it, it is less scary if someone can catch your legs or to start against the wall again. That way, if you fall over, you don't really fall. The last time I used them I was around 12 years old and fearless though, so you can take it with a grain of salt. We were not really allowed to use them much, as it was too similar to acro and we were gymnasts., which was clearly something different.

I have fond memories of the foam pit. You make me want to do gymnastics again, even though it's a bad idea (the movement patterns of younger me are too ingrained, which makes flippy stuff dangerous).

Anyway, I love your goals! Following :).