• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter flips and glides into the new year

On 2/7/2020 at 7:38 PM, Mad Hatter said:

The organiser person was saying something along the lines that if you're still here on day 6 (?) you're here for all 29 days and if you're here for a whole month you're going to do be doing this for life. It's silly, but the notion made me happy. ☺️

Not silly at all! :) 

On 2/9/2020 at 6:29 PM, Harriet said:

It was a bit stupid. So many unnecessary boobs, and I say this as someone who has been drawing boobs for eight days. But I have a very great weakness for deep voices. Mmm. 

Oh man, me too. The deep voices thing I mean. 

Also yes, too many random boobs, too much unnecessarily graphic violence.. but still very enjoyable! 

• Like 1

I love those drawings seriously,  early days or not, it's great to see, thanks for sharing :) .

Damn that puppy press is smooth, kinda wondering now no if a blunt press is not actually easier as far as I am concerned re flexibility. I mean I do the pup thing every so often but I'm closer to the picture of a dog having a pee than that elegant leg up :D

On 2/10/2020 at 8:53 PM, starsapart said:

You are me and we are one, etc.

On the rare occasions I experiment with color, I think it's SO fun too!

It is - if I could only combat my laziness. Also orange lipstick clashes awfully with red cheeks in training. :P 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:56 PM, KB Girl said:

Oh man, me too. The deep voices thing I mean. 

I remember going to a work conference workshop and the lecturer was this older guy, could've been nearly 50 years my senior at the time. So a weee bit too old. But his voice! All I wanted was for him to read me naughty bedtime stories haha.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:05 PM, @mu said:

I love those drawings seriously,  early days or not, it's great to see, thanks for sharing :) .

Damn that puppy press is smooth, kinda wondering now no if a blunt press is not actually easier as far as I am concerned re flexibility. I mean I do the pup thing every so often but I'm closer to the picture of a dog having a pee than that elegant leg up :D

Thank you!

Great visual. :D I think she uses the momentum of lifting her leg up well to make it look so smooth.

• Haha 1

The tiredness is not going away, it's getting very annoying. Handstand class was not great, my performance was fine, but my enthusiasm was not there and everything felt very hard. To be fair, the classes are still very press focused, meaning they are hard. It wasn't helped by my shoulder hurting from when it again went crunch during climbing this weekend... It's ok for balancing handstands, but leaning forward hurts a bit. My hamstring is also getting more and more irritated. Not a good combo of niggles for press work. At least my teacher was very happy about my performance. Though it's funny with press work, I can do the prep well enough, but the gap between prep and an actual press is miiiles wide. 

I'm keeping up with Figuary by sheer strength of will. Which is great, the more often I pick up the pen the easier it is up to pick it up. But I don't feel like I've been learning anything the past few days and my drawings are stagnant or even getting worse...

• Like 1

Challenge summary

Despite not following any of my initial goals I somehow think I'm doing ok. :D Mornings are still impossibly difficult, but my flat is generally speaking cleaner. I still want more dancing in my life, but I'm drawing and that's awesome. I've practiced bridges a few times, and macacos zero times, but that's fine since I'm taking the two additional tumbling classes a week, of which one is back handspring focused. Generally speaking things are flowing, despite bouts of tiredness like now and some other things that I've been trying to put down "on paper" but struggling with. I'll get back to that. Things are ok, but I need to do better.

• Like 3

Glad things are at least ok! It does read like you're getting in a lot of physical activity and having fun / making progress in that area. Hope the tiredness lets up a little asap. 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm keeping up with Figuary by sheer strength of will. Which is great, the more often I pick up the pen the easier it is up to pick it up. But I don't feel like I've been learning anything the past few days and my drawings are stagnant or even getting worse...

I don't think those kind of periods are unusual in a learning process, so keeping up with it is absolutely awesome, results on paper be damned! :)

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I remember going to a work conference workshop and the lecturer was this older guy, could've been nearly 50 years my senior at the time. So a weee bit too old. But his voice! All I wanted was for him to read me naughty bedtime stories haha.

Oh man I know what you mean.. I had this boss once, (like 16 years ago or so) and he was much too old for me and he was rather large and rather ugly.. but he had this golden combination of a brilliant deep voice and beautiful wrist/hand combo, it was rather confusing. I know it's weird, but that's one of the things that do a thing for me, that transition from wrist to hand if it's muscular and well formed.. ok I'll stop now x) 

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

my drawings are stagnant or even getting worse...

Or maybe is your eye who is getting better. I've seen many of my students go through this stage when their sound is the same as always but they start to complain about it being ugly, or thin, or full of air, and it is hard to convince them they're not sounding worse, but that it's their ear who is making the jump now. It's usually the beginning of a process in which their playing improves considerably. So maybe that's what Figuary is doing for you.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Despite not following any of my initial goals I somehow think I'm doing ok. :D Mornings are still impossibly difficult, but my flat is generally speaking cleaner. I still want more dancing in my life, but I'm drawing and that's awesome. I've practiced bridges a few times, and macacos zero times, but that's fine since I'm taking the two additional tumbling classes a week, of which one is back handspring focused. Generally speaking things are flowing, despite bouts of tiredness like now and some other things that I've been trying to put down "on paper" but struggling with. I'll get back to that. I'm doing well, and I'm going to do even better!

^^ Fixed that for you.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, KB Girl said:

Oh man I know what you mean.. I had this boss once, (like 16 years ago or so) and he was much too old for me and he was rather large and rather ugly.. but he had this golden combination of a brilliant deep voice and beautiful wrist/hand combo, it was rather confusing. I know it's weird, but that's one of the things that do a thing for me, that transition from wrist to hand if it's muscular and well formed.. ok I'll stop now x) 

That would be terribly confusing hahaha. :D 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, KB Girl said:

I don't think those kind of periods are unusual in a learning process, so keeping up with it is absolutely awesome, results on paper be damned! :)

True, true. This doesn't feel like a real plateau yet, it's just that right now I'm simply going through the motions. I also keep changing how I'm drawing and what I'm drawing with and it's not helping. Hopefully I get to sit down this weekend and slow down the lessons and experiment! :) 

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

Or maybe is your eye who is getting better. I've seen many of my students go through this stage when their sound is the same as always but they start to complain about it being ugly, or thin, or full of air, and it is hard to convince them they're not sounding worse, but that it's their ear who is making the jump now. It's usually the beginning of a process in which their playing improves considerably. So maybe that's what Figuary is doing for you.

That's very interesting! Though in my case my skill has a long way to catch up with my eyes. :P 

1 hour ago, starsapart said:

^^ Fixed that for you.

❤️❤️❤️

I had to skip free running yesterday. 😭I'm gutted about it, but considering I could barely walk, started coughing and was nearing an emotional breakdown, I think it's for the best that I turned around and walked back home. Instead I finished Amanda Palmer's The Art of Asking (based on her TED talk) which hit home as I have an incredibly hard time asking anyone for help, even to the detriment of past relationships. As I've been getting older I've been realizing the importance of vulnerability in relationships more and more, but knowing and doing are very different things, and even as a child I've always done everything myself, so these are very deep seated habits. I'll have to let this one simmer for a while.

This morning I woke up and felt even more ill and thought that I was doomed, but that at least my tiredness had an explanation. But it only lasted for a few hours. Weird. I'm not complaining, but weird. Fingers crossed it won't come back!

In the afternoon I went to training, and had a really good session too. I was doing a prep drill where I simply jumped backwards onto a stack of mats, but I couldn't get any height and I couldn't understand why and I started getting annoyed with myself. Then I watched my teacher as he was tweaking two other girls' back handspring take offs, and I realised something. As I was swinging my arms backwards, sometimes that swing would take me a bit off balance and instead of jumping up and back, my weight would shift towards my heels and I'd sort of fall back. Once I started to figure out the coordination things started getting much, much better. Then I spent a bunch of time going back over the rolly handspring block thingy and while it wasn't the prettiest, I was getting over it without help and without freaking out. Progress!

• Like 3

It's really hard! 

I've had this open for a while but it's so uncomfortable to read; http://www.thelazygeniuscollective.com/blog/you-dont-have-to-be-in-crisis-to-ask-for-help?rq=crisis

So I haven't finished it yet, but I'm dropping it here anyway! 

You've watched/read Brene Brown stuff on vulnerability? 

Hope the feeling better lasts! 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Progress!

:) ❤️

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 5:00 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Oh hey, I was looking for your new challenge, but you're still here. I don't feel like my 1- and 5- minute sketches are getting better, but I think my longer sketches are showing some improvement. I think things can definitely seem worse when you're taking a risk by letting go of control and of familiar drawing habits in order to focus on new things like line quality, gesture, exaggeration and boldness. But like Larry said today, by the end we will have drawn 200 poses. There's no way we're not getting better even if it's not visible yet. Anyway, don't make me complete Figuary alone. Keep going! I would love to see some sketches of yours even if there's anything you want to share.

• Like 1

I looked into doing Figuary as well, but it is way above my skill level.  

Hope the discovery will help with back handsprings.  One oft he key mental trigger for me in fdoing back flips/back hadsprings is to make sure I don't "Sit down" when lowering into the jump.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Asking for help is really hard. It's only in the last few months that I have begun feeling comfortable doing so. 

What changed?

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It's really hard! 

I've had this open for a while but it's so uncomfortable to read; http://www.thelazygeniuscollective.com/blog/you-dont-have-to-be-in-crisis-to-ask-for-help?rq=crisis

So I haven't finished it yet, but I'm dropping it here anyway! 

You've watched/read Brene Brown stuff on vulnerability? 

Asking for needs is hard, asking for wants is even harder! I agree with the author, that asking, even for small things, deepens connections. But it’s very difficult. Even asking for something like a hug from a friend I find hard, though it’s such a simple request...

I’ve come across the name quite a few times and I’ve listened to a podcast. But I haven’t read her books, I feel like they could be quite impactful but also that I’m not in a place where I could apply the ideas. 

44 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I looked into doing Figuary as well, but it is way above my skill level.  

Hope the discovery will help with back handsprings.  One oft he key mental trigger for me in fdoing back flips/back hadsprings is to make sure I don't "Sit down" when lowering into the jump.  

But you learn fast by getting thrown in the deep end! :D 

Yes, absolutely! It’s already making a big difference both in technique and confidence as now I’m not off balance. The technique that he’s teaching is to start from a neutral, relaxed standing position, then swing the arms and hips back, with the legs almost straight and push up onto the toes, then shoot the arms and hips forwards with a relatively shallow knee bend. I wasn’t really sitting down, but my weight did shift towards my heels a bit which changed my body positioning and I’d kill all my height. I also tried to swing too much, when I tweaked the technique it gave much more time to get a push off from the (slightly bouncy) floor. More power and more chilled take off!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh hey, I was looking for your new challenge, but you're still here.

I know I know! 🙈 I’ll put it together soon!

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

I don't feel like my 1- and 5- minute sketches are getting better, but I think my longer sketches are showing some improvement. I think things can definitely seem worse when you're taking a risk by letting go of control and of familiar drawing habits in order to focus on new things like line quality, gesture, exaggeration and boldness. But like Larry said today, by the end we will have drawn 200 poses. There's no way we're not getting better even if it's not visible yet. Anyway, don't make me complete Figuary alone. Keep going! I would love to see some sketches of yours even if there's anything you want to share.

I haven’t even tried a longer pose! Haven’t made the time and/or had the energy to do it yet, but I feel it would be very beneficial. 

200 poses, that’s a lot! Cool. My biggest achievement so far is that I finally used up one of my drawing pads. It’s silly, but I’ve had a few drawing pads for YEARS with a few attempts here and there, so now it feels good to have used up one of them. :D 

Definitely won’t leave you hanging! Even when I haven’t had much time I’ve been managing to squeeze in the twenty minutes every day so far and that’s awesome.

Ok, here’s a random assortment of 1-5 minute sketches. I didn’t know which ones to pick so I picked the ones that looked the most humanoid. As you can see it’s a mishmash of styles, but nothing feels right so I don’t know which way to go.

Spoiler

322BD6DE-4820-4677-8BAB-3BFCD2116585.jpeg.f97d015da4eefc0e4c2b999b8c64e34c.jpeg

D57D23D2-AFFB-4EEE-A538-B6CA981F8FFE.jpeg.ca2f6ee0f772faf1b5b4dffd9f12b319.jpeg

D6D994AA-947B-4848-B90B-9F28E7AC8933.jpeg.d3bffa78c15c5f0299cda352f153da63.jpeg

5C93C177-9269-4A03-A855-CDB01DDAAB06.jpeg.3a29445b9d30577d1f11ea1ec0ffb03f.jpeg

86FE799E-3D6F-4810-BDC2-EA10D43024B9.jpeg.53a80174c1099434238b899f5782a42d.jpeg

AD4704D4-F4E6-46FA-A5B5-390E8DA21C74.jpeg.20cbc92611cdf01de3eaa24dc4fee7d4.jpeg

FE0EDE87-ABDF-4787-9615-763FE48C1424.jpeg.a1d4ec6344702e09a0655fcddfd2ec07.jpeg

140A2937-C654-4111-8925-AE3CCB8B99E3.jpeg.b9e21abe577fd04c005f8456802e76b6.jpeg

CAE557A1-84F0-4035-ACC7-E526E74359DA.jpeg.73ac4febef032161c23c35ee8713bddc.jpeg

2DD3653C-AB73-4008-B350-9C53A34DF37F.jpeg.6bf26267407a822ad431c1a86c8897c8.jpeg

4C8FEEA5-180C-4684-836D-FFA03A5514CE.jpeg.010d93ef86511f11e6ff5063e92b92e1.jpeg

52000A29-AC63-4ABD-A89C-2A2627E2F556.jpeg.d4f734ac343f175acd52d18a9a9d3ae6.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I realized it was ok, then started trying it. I also read a lot of Brene Brown books.

Fair enough. :)

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But it’s very difficult. Even asking for something like a hug from a friend I find hard, though it’s such a simple request...

To be fair though, that comes with its own special cultural weirdness. 

A lot of the “problem” is cultural

The United States, in particular, is both hyper-sexualized and yet utterly terrified — of their own shadows and the implications of simple touch.

Rebecca K. Reynolds writes:

“In other countries, platonic friends walk arm-in-arm and kiss one another on the cheeks. All those things are done as natural out-workings of a love that has absolutely nothing to do with human sexuality.”

And she’s right. I’ve traveled to nearly 30 countries and still, every time I travel and see straight men walking arms linked, or straight women holding hands, I surprise myself with how much this still surprises me.

Some of my friends and colleagues here in the States are from other countries, and they will openly hug, dance, kiss each other on the cheeks, lounge side by side on couches — all without a second thought. Our uptight viewpoint is our problem and hinges largely on us (and perhaps our Puritan past.)

- https://psiloveyou.xyz/the-unspoken-loneliness-of-the-physical-touch-love-language-50d83c33779d

She mentions the US, but I'd say it's the same in Sweden. I wouldn't be surprised to hear "What are you? Gay?" as a response if some guy asked a male friend for a hug :( 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

To be fair though, that comes with its own special cultural weirdness. 

Maybe I should’ve been more specific - I meant MY friends, who I know and trust and I know 100% it’d be ok, irrespective of gender.

• Like 1

200 poses, that’s a lot! Cool. My biggest achievement so far is that I finally used up one of my drawing pads. It’s silly, but I’ve had a few drawing pads for YEARS with a few attempts here and there, so now it feels good to have used up one of them. :D 

Me too! In the last few years I've bought more art supplies than I've used. Now I'm going to need to buy more sketch paper. Or do 1 minute sketches on the expensive watercolour paper.... hmmm. 

Definitely won’t leave you hanging! Even when I haven’t had much time I’ve been managing to squeeze in the twenty minutes every day so far and that’s awesome.

Ok, here’s a random assortment of 1-5 minute sketches. I didn’t know which ones to pick so I picked the ones that looked the most humanoid. As you can see it’s a mishmash of styles, but nothing feels right so I don’t know which way to go.

Reveal hidden contents

322BD6DE-4820-4677-8BAB-3BFCD2116585.jpeg.f97d015da4eefc0e4c2b999b8c64e34c.jpeg

D57D23D2-AFFB-4EEE-A538-B6CA981F8FFE.jpeg.ca2f6ee0f772faf1b5b4dffd9f12b319.jpeg

D6D994AA-947B-4848-B90B-9F28E7AC8933.jpeg.d3bffa78c15c5f0299cda352f153da63.jpeg

5C93C177-9269-4A03-A855-CDB01DDAAB06.jpeg.3a29445b9d30577d1f11ea1ec0ffb03f.jpeg

86FE799E-3D6F-4810-BDC2-EA10D43024B9.jpeg.53a80174c1099434238b899f5782a42d.jpeg

AD4704D4-F4E6-46FA-A5B5-390E8DA21C74.jpeg.20cbc92611cdf01de3eaa24dc4fee7d4.jpeg

FE0EDE87-ABDF-4787-9615-763FE48C1424.jpeg.a1d4ec6344702e09a0655fcddfd2ec07.jpeg

140A2937-C654-4111-8925-AE3CCB8B99E3.jpeg.b9e21abe577fd04c005f8456802e76b6.jpeg

CAE557A1-84F0-4035-ACC7-E526E74359DA.jpeg.73ac4febef032161c23c35ee8713bddc.jpeg

2DD3653C-AB73-4008-B350-9C53A34DF37F.jpeg.6bf26267407a822ad431c1a86c8897c8.jpeg

4C8FEEA5-180C-4684-836D-FFA03A5514CE.jpeg.010d93ef86511f11e6ff5063e92b92e1.jpeg

52000A29-AC63-4ABD-A89C-2A2627E2F556.jpeg.d4f734ac343f175acd52d18a9a9d3ae6.jpeg

Awesome! I see some where the line quality looks bolder, like the first, and others where it looks like you took a bit more time to get the proportions, like the fourth, and some places where they came together, as in the second. I think that's probably a good thing, and exactly how it's supposed to go? If you're not sure what to focus on, maybe pick one or two things that Kenzo mentioned. I've found it very useful to look for landmarks, like he said: the angle of the collarbones is super helpful, for example. But then he said other super interesting things I haven't had a chance to put into practice yet, like varying the line thickness and quality, or envisioning the line I'm going to draw before I put it down. So yeah, he says these great things but just throws them out casually so we might miss them. I might have to go back and really listen to everything he said. 

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awesome! I see some where the line quality looks bolder, like the first, and others where it looks like you took a bit more time to get the proportions, like the fourth, and some places where they came together, as in the second. I think that's probably a good thing, and exactly how it's supposed to go? If you're not sure what to focus on, maybe pick one or two things that Kenzo mentioned. I've found it very useful to look for landmarks, like he said: the angle of the collarbones is super helpful, for example. But then he said other super interesting things I haven't had a chance to put into practice yet, like varying the line thickness and quality, or envisioning the line I'm going to draw before I put it down. So yeah, he says these great things but just throws them out casually so we might miss them. I might have to go back and really listen to everything he said. 

Yeah I try to focus on a specific aspect each session, sometimes it's what the lesson focuses on, sometimes what I feel like, sometimes the tool dictates (sometimes on staying awake). It's really difficult to make it all come together though!

I liked what he said about envisioning the line a lot. I haven't practiced it much yet, but when I try for bold, fluid lines they typically end up all over the place, my control is not very good yet. And there's a big different between exaggeration and looseness, and just fucking up. I do the latter. :P For the few strokes that I've tried to plan in advance it's been very helpful, but it's also slower. While I'm less stressed now than when I started, I still run out of time constantly and just put something down in the last few seconds without looking all that much. And forget about faces. :D 

I'm definitely planning on rewatching the videos later when I'm more ready to take it in. 

• Like 2

I think they're great too! Love seeing them, the variety in style and even success if I may say so? I tried to pick a favourite style, but I can't.. 

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Asking for needs is hard, asking for wants is even harder! I agree with the author, that asking, even for small things, deepens connections. But it’s very difficult. Even asking for something like a hug from a friend I find hard, though it’s such a simple request...

I’ve come across the name quite a few times and I’ve listened to a podcast. But I haven’t read her books, I feel like they could be quite impactful but also that I’m not in a place where I could apply the ideas. 

It's funny, but now that you mention it, I realised my brother started asking for hugs sometime last year. Good for him :) I suppose it's one of those things where you just have to start and then have positive enough experiences that you're willing to repeat it. 

And yea I guess I feel the same.. 

2 hours ago, starsapart said:

I have absolutely no skill with which to constructively evaluate your art, but I do really like your sketches. ❤️

Even better, it takes away some of the anxiety of posting. 😅Thank you.

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I think they're great too! Love seeing them, the variety in style and even success if I may say so? I tried to pick a favourite style, but I can't.. 

It's funny, but now that you mention it, I realised my brother started asking for hugs sometime last year. Good for him :) I suppose it's one of those things where you just have to start and then have positive enough experiences that you're willing to repeat it. 

And yea I guess I feel the same.. 

Thanks! I wouldn't call them success, but they have been successfully put down on paper. Shame you couldn't pick a style, maybe that would help. 😄

That's lovely about your brother.