Lateral Planet: Pitter Patter

Lateral Planet

Pitter patter, let's get at 'er! They finally started showing Letterkenny in Australia and it's my favourite show right now.

Anyway, here's where we're at. 2019 was great, but it's over now and I've got big plans for 2020!

Goal: Lose weight

Your bog standard New Year's resolution. I fluctuated a bit throughout 2019, generally hovering between 73 and 76 kilos (160 to 170lb). That's pretty good, but I think we can push it a little further and lose some more. I'm not exercising at the moment due to NSW rudely sending all their bushfire smoke my way and messing with my lungs. So instead the focus will be on better eating habits, and in particular eating less sugar.

Goal: Buy a house

First I need to save a deposit, and I'm just a few weeks away from my savings target. So to speed things up I'm going into full austerity mode: spend as little as possible. I've been tracking my spending very meticulously for a while, so I can at least aim to spend less in each category than I did last month.

Goal: Be organised

I was really busy last year (wedding planning is hard, yo). I managed pretty well with my ad hoc planning and record keeping, but a better system is definitely required. So I've bought myself a diary and I'm actually going to use it. Also I want to do a full Konmari in the next few months. We've lived in this house for a few years now so the clutter has really accumulated, and the less junk we have to bring to the next house the easier it'll be to move.

Goal: Nourish the soul

This kind of ties into the above decluttering plan; I have a lot of unread books and unwatched DVDs taking up space. I'd like to rediscover my love of reading, so let's start with the ones I already own. I sort of inherited the family DVD collection when my parents moved interstate, and there's a lot in there that I have never seen.

Obviously that's a lot, so let's break it down to what I can do in this challenge:

1) Intermittent fasting. It's been a while, so for now I'll just aim to have my first meal after midday.

2) Track spending. The less I spend, the easier this will be!

3) Use the diary. Update it with a bullet list of what I did each day, and watch out for upcoming events.

4) Read one book and watch at least one movie. And write a book review, just for accountability.

Alright, let's get to choring!

giphy.gif.8d7128dd1a13dc237a2d8455031c1dc9.gif

• Like 6

Looks like you have a good plan. Looking forward to seeing you work towards the next chapter of your life!

• Like 2

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

Here for all the stable plan goodness!  I've been bullet journalling for a couple of years, considered just getting a diary this year for having everything already drawn out for me, but I just can't give up my bujo.  

How bad is the smoke over that way still, calming down any?  

• Like 2

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.

26 minutes ago, Zaethe said:

Here for all the stable plan goodness!  I've been bullet journalling for a couple of years, considered just getting a diary this year for having everything already drawn out for me, but I just can't give up my bujo.

I spent ages in the mall looking for a good diary because it turns out I'm very picky about diary layout. I did consider DIYing a bujo but I used to always get so wrapped up in drawing up each page that I'd never use it functionally. So I'll work with this one for now and maybe when I have a better idea of what works I can have more success.

35 minutes ago, Zaethe said:

How bad is the smoke over that way still, calming down any?  

Actually today the sky is clearer than it has been in weeks, so I'll have to seize the opportunity for a walk later when it cools down. But the fire near me is still going (it's under control but not getting any smaller) so I'm sure the smoke will be back the next time the wind changes.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tateman said:

I have heard the smoke is horrible. I watch ZoeTwoDots on youtube (pokemon go related) She has been talking bout how bad it has been around her. Reminds me a lot of when California is on fire ;) Hopefully, it clears up soon. 

It's been pretty lousy here for about a month, but it comes and goes. Today was lovely blur sky so we went for a nice walk this evening. Haven't played Pokemon Go for a long time, but I did spot a wombat, which is the closest thing in real life :D

20191230_205331_resize_5.jpg.71444c13dbd359ea9ad92291c18cd5f2.jpg

• Like 6

Also since I'm a rebel I'm going to reject the new format of starting on Sundays and start now. And so far, so good! I managed to wait until midday before eating, but I'm out of practice so my tummy was really rumbling by then and I got a bite as soon as the clock ticked over. Super easy to track my spending because I didn't leave the house or spend any money. Also didn't do anything of consequence but I still put some notes in the diary just for the purpose or habit forming. Not a bad start!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Goal: Buy a house

First I need to save a deposit, and I'm just a few weeks away from my savings target. So to speed things up I'm going into full austerity mode: spend as little as possible. I've been tracking my spending very meticulously for a while, so I can at least aim to spend less in each category than I did last month.

Awesome goal! If I can offer a few suggestions (this is my industry, though in a different country ;) ) :

- the down payment isn't the only expense, you'll also want to budget for a home inspection, legal fees, moving costs, and have a stipend for new furniture/fixtures when you settle in

- don't forget to budget monthly savings for maintenance costs; for a house, a good guideline is to save roughly 1.5% of the gross value of the property every year, until you hit a 5% slush fund - and if you take money out of the slush fund later (eg. new appliances, roof replacement, etc) you need to 'fill it back up'

- 'practice your mortgage' - so look at your total monthly costs including utilities, insurance, maintenance savings, taxes, and the mortgage itself - then calculate how much more that will be than what you're paying in rent et al right now; open a separate savings account and deposit the difference every month, so that you'll have a real idea of what the financial lifestyle will be once you've bought

- get a good realtor (interview at least 2-3!), and when you're looking keep in mind that you can update cabinets and appliances yourself down the line, but location & layout are much more challenging to alter; buy for long-term value and short commute if you can!

Good luck, and remember to have fun! :D 

• Like 3

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

3 hours ago, Defining said:

Awesome goal! If I can offer a few suggestions (this is my industry, though in a different country ;) ) :

- the down payment isn't the only expense, you'll also want to budget for a home inspection, legal fees, moving costs, and have a stipend for new furniture/fixtures when you settle in

- don't forget to budget monthly savings for maintenance costs; for a house, a good guideline is to save roughly 1.5% of the gross value of the property every year, until you hit a 5% slush fund - and if you take money out of the slush fund later (eg. new appliances, roof replacement, etc) you need to 'fill it back up'

- 'practice your mortgage' - so look at your total monthly costs including utilities, insurance, maintenance savings, taxes, and the mortgage itself - then calculate how much more that will be than what you're paying in rent et al right now; open a separate savings account and deposit the difference every month, so that you'll have a real idea of what the financial lifestyle will be once you've bought

- get a good realtor (interview at least 2-3!), and when you're looking keep in mind that you can update cabinets and appliances yourself down the line, but location & layout are much more challenging to alter; buy for long-term value and short commute if you can!

Good luck, and remember to have fun! :D 

Excellent advice from an expert! Don't worry, the prospect of buying a house suitably terrifieds me, so I've done a lot of maths to figure out realistically what we can actually afford (rather than rely on what the bank would tell us, which would be way off). My savings target includes a 20 per cent deposit for a good house in our area, the best estimates I could find for all the upfront costs (plus enough to repaint and recarpet), and a generous emergency fund. Obviously the more saved the better, but I wanted to have at least that much before even talking to a mortgage broker.

We are having lots of fun so far. Viewed a few houses we would have loved to grab if we'd been ready. Also found some really bizarre ones. Who puts an unfenced indoor pool between the master bedroom and the kitchen?? Someone who wants to drown on their way to get a midnight snack, that's who!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Those goals are looking solid! Best of luck!

Here's to IF and less sugar! 🙋‍♀️

• Like 2

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Good morning and happy new year!! 

Did well on Tuesday, although I didn't eat very well because we went to a party. But strictly speaking, at this point I'm mostly working on the timing of my meals and less so the quality, so I'm getting away with it ;) Also I had a couple of drinks and the smoke came back during the party so I'm a bit headachey at the moment. Here's what I'm dealing with this morning:

20200101_081619_resize_91.jpg.d4fd062ec3fdc61da7315f0a225d9709.jpg

My official weigh-in for 1 January is 75kg exactly, which is actually a bit higher than last year. But I'm still 10kg below my maximum so that's always important to remember and give myself a little pat on the back. 2018 was a year of loss, 2019 was maintenance, so let's make 2020 another loss year!

• Like 4

It was a mixed start to January, if I'm honest. Went to see Little Women (which was great) but failed to realise the whole mall would be closed for the public holiday, apart from Maccas and KFC, so lunch options were limited. But I resisted getting an ice cream at the cinema so it's not all bad.

I also started the Konmari process by going through my shirts and jumpers. My last wardrobe purge was only a few months ago, but this time I was ruthless. Anything damaged went and anything from last year's "maybe" pile went. I did save a couple of items that are a bit big for me (yay!) but I still really like, so maybe I can get them taken in. I also identified that I actually do like most of my shirts; it's my work pants that aren't a good fit, and that's why I was so miserable in my work clothes the last few months. I'll make myself a shopping list of items that need replacing, like work pants, but otherwise I'll resist spending money on more clothes because I really do have plenty.

• Like 4

I'm going to revise my statement in the above post: I'm having an absolutely lousy start to January. First of all, we officially have the poorest air quality of any major city in the world right now. Of course I'm thankful that we're not actively on fire, but on the other hand I'd really, really like to get a breath of fresh air sometime soon.

Secondly, my puppy is sick again. Well, that's the short version. The long version is spoilerised because I need to vent but I appreciate that people don't like hearing about sick puppies:

Spoiler

Last April Frankie was diagnosed with lymphoma, and he was on a chemo program for six months and responded very well. He had a checkup on Christmas Eve and the blood test was perfectly fine. Then yesterday we noticed a swelling, and sure enough the cancer's back, and now it's chemo for life. Anyway, we'll take it one baby step at a time and see how he goes. He's a very resilient boy, and at only three years old he deserves all the time we can get him.

All I can say is: if you ever feel lumps on your dog's neck, get to the vet ASAP. This literally spontaneously developed in a week (if that) and without treatment can be fatal in a month. Everyone, please give your pets a cuddle for me.

As far as my current challenge goes, this has two consequences:

1) I'll be having a bit more takeaway than planned. Last time he was sick we had a ritual of just getting a drive-thru dinner on bad days to save our energy and boost morale. I don't intend to challenge this.

2) We'll be spending some money on vet bills, so I'll have to redo the math on my savings goals and budget, but in general the homeownership goal remains intact!

• Sad 4

I'm sorry to hear about your pup :( all the strength to you all, give him a big hug from me too ❤️

• Like 2

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Siferiax said:

I'm sorry to hear about your pup :( all the strength to you all, give him a big hug from me too ❤️

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

*Hugs* I am sorry Puppy is sick again. I know it was really hard last time. I think the changes you made make sense. I will follow when I can.

2 hours ago, Tateman said:

aww Poor Frankie :( 

Thanks for the love, everyone. Just like last time, I'm determined to not let my thread become a sick pet blog so this is going to be a happy place. To start, here's a pic of happy Frankie from the last time we went orienteering:

20191216_181039_resize_34.jpg.ff39e1b6144aaa9d3979801740a1a25b.jpg

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

here's a pic of happy Frankie from the last time we went orienteering

Such a cute puppy.

• Like 2

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

Taking a moment to celebrate some wins during my first two days back at work (OK, a day and a half, but close enough).

Firstly, I haven't had any tea. Usually I only drink tea at the office, but since I have loads of sugar and milk with it it's not very healthy and definitely spoils a fast. I figured the easiest way to break this habit was simply to not pick it up again in the first place; I was happy enough going without for two weeks over the break, so I can just keep going without now that I'm back.

Secondly, I haven't been snacking out of boredom. There's zero work to do and very few people around, so I'm kind of getting paid to twiddle my thumbs all day. There's a vending machine upstairs and a box of charity chocolates down the corridor, but I'm trying to eat less AND spend less, so it would be very counterproductive for me to go buy a snack right now.

• Like 2

Hooray! Sounds like you did 2 really hard things! (I know those types of things are/were really hard for me to do)

I try to keep snacks and candy out of sight as much as possible, because it's easier to not think about that way.

• Like 3

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Taking a moment to celebrate some wins during my first two days back at work (OK, a day and a half, but close enough).

Firstly, I haven't had any tea. Usually I only drink tea at the office, but since I have loads of sugar and milk with it it's not very healthy and definitely spoils a fast. I figured the easiest way to break this habit was simply to not pick it up again in the first place; I was happy enough going without for two weeks over the break, so I can just keep going without now that I'm back.

This is a great idea. Hopefully you can do great with it not being there. Good luck.

10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Secondly, I haven't been snacking out of boredom. There's zero work to do and very few people around, so I'm kind of getting paid to twiddle my thumbs all day. There's a vending machine upstairs and a box of charity chocolates down the corridor, but I'm trying to eat less AND spend less, so it would be very counterproductive for me to go buy a snack right now.

I had a rule at the old job, if I don't bring cash, then I can't use the vending machine. This meant if I was really craving, I would take just enough to get what the craving wanted, but it was planned and not a impulse thing. Hopefully this works out for you

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This is a great idea. Hopefully you can do great with it not being there. Good luck.

I had a rule at the old job, if I don't bring cash, then I can't use the vending machine. This meant if I was really craving, I would take just enough to get what the craving wanted, but it was planned and not a impulse thing. Hopefully this works out for you

That's the plan! Since I don't like my tea without milk or sugar, I just left those ingredients at home. I could buy some from the shop at work, but their prices are outrageous, so if I get a craving I'll tell myself to just wait til I get home, and by then the urge has passed. So far so good!

• Like 1