Lateral Planet: Pitter Patter

Lateral Planet

I won't sugarcoat it: I've been in a serious slump, my dudes. There are many contributing factors:

1) I've spent hardly any time outside in two months because it's been too hot and smoky

2) As a result of (1) I've done hardly any exercise in that time either

3) General malaise related to thrice-weekly vet visits

4) Nothing to do at work. Nice to get paid to do nothing, but it doesn't exactly get you pumped for the day

5) It's shark week, and an unusually moody one for me

6) As a result of (6) I've been eating a whole lot of bad stuff without hesitation 

And I'm fed up of it. Sure, a lazy day here and there is nice but being so unmotivated and unproductive for so long gets pretty tiresome. But a couple of things have happened to help me snap out of it, the best of which is it's finally about to start raining!! Right now I'm having lunch outside, in cool air, near a fountain, with thunder rumbling overhead. It's amazing, and I think it's a trigger to help me out of this slump and back into gear.

Building on that impulse, I'm taking tomorrow off work so I can get some accomplishments under my belt. I'll have the house completely to myself all day; even the dog will be at the vet all day so he won't tempt me into a lazy day on the couch. Here's what I'm planning to do:

1) Open the windows and doors and get some fresh air in the house

2) General tidy up and vacuum

3) Laundry, both putting away the last batch and washing a fresh batch

4) Home exercises. Sure the weather has stopped me running, but there's no excuse for not doing any movements at home

5) Change my name with as many government agencies as I can. It's been on the "later" list for months now!

6) Eat more healthily. There's one slice of cake left, but otherwise it's gotta be good for you

I have a few other things I'd like to do, such as another burst of decluttering, but I'll see how I go for time. The points above are things that will definitely get me off the couch and make me feel more accomplished, which is exactly what I need.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I won't sugarcoat it: I've been in a serious slump, my dudes.

tenor.gif?itemid=5247624

Sorry to hear about the funk. But I do see how the reasons pile up and cause it.

Building on that impulse, I'm taking tomorrow off work so I can get some accomplishments under my belt. I'll have the house completely to myself all day; even the dog will be at the vet all day so he won't tempt me into a lazy day on the couch. Here's what I'm planning to do:

4) Home exercises. Sure the weather has stopped me running, but there's no excuse for not doing any movements at home

5) Change my name with as many government agencies as I can. It's been on the "later" list for months now!

6) Eat more healthily. There's one slice of cake left, but otherwise it's gotta be good for you

I have a few other things I'd like to do, such as another burst of decluttering, but I'll see how I go for time. The points above are things that will definitely get me off the couch and make me feel more accomplished, which is exactly what I need.

Hopefully this helps.  Sometimes, just getting moving forward can help.

• Like 1

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5247624

Sorry to hear about the funk. But I do see how the reasons pile up and cause it.

Totally. I think I need to check in with myself more often so I don't let things pile up like that. I can't stop the weather getting me down, but there are plenty of things within my control, and if I'd taken note and acted sooner the slump wouldn't be so bad.

8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Hopefully this helps.  Sometimes, just getting moving forward can help.

That's the plan: a day of awesome productivity to offset the last few days. But I've already met a hurdle! Puppy's going to be home today after all, and he's already doing his best to keep me anchored to the couch

20200117_082416_resize_87.thumb.jpg.da06bba89942127abd586efabac675c6.jpg

Luckily he's small so I can just pick him up if I need to, but he does rather get underfoot when I'm fussing about the house so I'll have to work around him.

• Like 2

Quick report on my Friday of super productivity. 

On 1/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, Lateral Planet said:

1) It was a rare day of cool, fresh air, so the windows were open all day, lovely!

2) I skipped vacuuming but all the major surfaces are much cleaner now

3) Oops, didn't get to the laundry

4) I went to a party and we played Just Dance, so that was my exercise. Got a high score on Funky Town :D

5) Managed a couple of official name changes, my new licence is in the post

6) This was a mixed bag. Started the day super healthy, had a good lunch, and then I went to a party, which I wasn't expecting to be able to go to at the time I wrote the list or I would've factored in all the pizza and vodka. But I made an effort for most of the day.

Saturday should be good. I'm not hung over despite aforementioned vodka, and I'm going out with friends later. Planning for a healthy lunch, an attempt at clothes shopping, and avoiding ice cream at the cinema.

• Like 1

Saturday has been good. Found a good lunch even though the gyoza place in the food court still hasn't opened despite being under construction for months. The cinema was sold out of ice cream so that helped me resist the cravings.

I even had a successful time of shopping. I can't remember if I mentioned this (and I can't be bothered to reread the thread) but I've decided that I hate my black work pants and I'm not going to wear them anymore because they don't make me happy. I did look for a replacement pair but have been so far unlucky, and I'm not sure whether it's because the current styles don't suit me or I'm just unhappy with my body at the moment and so nothing will please me. Whatever the reason, I'm going to just press pause on pants shopping for now until I feel comfortable to have another go. Instead I'll lean into making skirts and dresses my style for now, so I went and bought a couple of new dresses today which I feel good in.

• Like 2

Breaking news! Literally. We had a hail storm on Monday, and luckily my little family didn't suffer any damage so we only get the benefit of major storms: clear skies! Cool air! I can actually go outside for extended periods!

Basically, it's a chance for me to have a go at getting back into running. I'm going to have to start slow since it's been ages since I went faster than a gentle stroll, but I'm really keen to make the most of the good weather while it lasts. The bushfires are still going, and who knows when the wind will change and send the smoke my way again.

On the other hand, my accoutabili-puppy is not fully on board. I tried to take him for a walk yesterday but he wasn't in the mood, and I wasn't keen to drag or carry him so I had to surrender and go home early. I'm fully prepared to just go out on my own if he doesn't want to cooperate next time. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

the benefit of major storms: clear skies! Cool air! I can actually go outside for extended periods!

Image result for letterkenny gif

16 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Basically, it's a chance for me to have a go at getting back into running. I'm going to have to start slow since it's been ages since I went faster than a gentle stroll, but I'm really keen to make the most of the good weather while it lasts.

Image result for letterkenny pitter patter gif

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

On 1/22/2020 at 4:08 AM, mitch_dee said:

Image result for letterkenny gif

Image result for letterkenny pitter patter gif

I like that a lot!! It's been so nice having relatively good weather for a change, fingers crossed it sticks around for a bit.

So I've forgotten to update for a while but I'm currently losing the will to live in a government services waiting room so I've got time now! Generally things have been pretty good. Had a couple of walks, and mostly been eating well. Took another cheeky Friday off so I can get an extra long weekend, but I've mostly been relaxing at home with the puppy.

Wednesday night kind of stands out though. Husband had some errands to run so we had separate dinners. I didn't feel like cooking but I made sure to grab a nice healthy laksa for takeaway. I did indulge in a few peanut M&Ms, but I would have been smarter to leave the bowl in the fridge rather than keep it within reach. And then Husband came home with Maccas for himself and a chocolate frappe for me. So sweet of him! But I was feeling a bit icky after that double dose of chocolate. In future I'll have to be more restrained in case of unexpected treats!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, Defining said:

Wait.... M&Ms in the fridge?!?

That's Australian summer for you; if chocolate isn't in the fridge it's melting all over the place. Even M&Ms! The colours stain your hand so you're all sticky, and you get little warm explosions of melted chocolate when you chew down. They're still yummy like that, but I prefer a nice cool summer treat so they stay in the fridge these days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

The colours stain your hand

I remember when I was a kid their tagline was "melts in your mouth, not in your hand." Clearly they abandoned it for a reason. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Made a good healthy decision today. I'm cooking lamb cutlets for dinner, but there was more than the usual amount of fat on them. Instead of just shrugging shoulders, I cut off the excess so dinner will be much more healthy and palatable. I don't mind a little bit, but when there's more fat than meat on a bone that's pushing things!

Also got some exercise today by walking the puppy down to the vet for his check-up. Of course, that raised his heart rate and temperature, so we had to go back to the vet to get him checked again a few hours later to make super sure he didn't also have a fever. D'oh! Lesson learned. 

Edit: Well, I'm sorry the puppy got probed twice in one day but the exercise was definitely worthwhile because a fresh gust of bushfire smoke just rolled in. Looks like I'm housebound for the next day or two *sigh*

• Like 3

It's Monday but it's a long weekend so it's been a nice quiet one. I gave myself the project of fully cleaning and decluttering the kitchen, which is complete! There's a box of stuff I'm happy to get rid of, and just generally the place is so much cleaner. It's amazing how the cutlery drawer gets so dusty, yuck. So that was my big achievement of the weekend.

The second achievement was actually remembering to weigh myself this morning. I used to do that first thing every Monday, like clockwork, but the last few weeks I've totally forgotten. As a result, I've gained two kilos without even noticing, oops! All the better motivation to seriously get back into intermittent fasting.

• Like 3

Monday went well. I got so wrapped up in cleaning that it was 2pm til I thought about food, so that's IF in the bag. On the other hand, I did have a few snacks.

I even managed some exercise! Still smoky out so I did some knee pushups, squats and planking in the living room. I'm currently resisting the impulse to get up off the couch and do some more, because even though I feel great right now it's been aaaages so I'm expecting a little soreness tomorrow.

• Like 3

It's turned into a rough afternoon. A new bushfire has popped up just south of me and we spent the afternoon getting ready to bug out. Now I'm just kind of twiddling my thumbs and listening out for the order to evacuate. To distract myself from obsessively refreshing the emergency services website, I'm posting here and I just did a bunch of home exercises. Feels pretty good, although I was a little rusty. I'll get back into it before long I'm sure.

Also had a win with IF and successfully waiting until midday before breaking my fast. On the downside, it wasn't a great lunch; after deep-cleaning the kitchen I wasn't in the mood for cooking. And the offerings at the cafeteria were pretty lousy but luckily I had some crackers and dip to munch on. It's probably also going to be a light dinner. I had planned to make a nice curry but I'm all out of energy now so instead we'll just have some salad and garlic bread.

Sigh. I'm ready for the weather to just settle down now.

• Sad 2
6 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

A new bushfire has popped up just south of me and we spent the afternoon getting ready to bug out. Now I'm just kind of twiddling my thumbs and listening out for the order to evacuate.

So sorry to hear this (along with all of what is going on down there), you stay safe and be careful!!  Thoughts and positive fire stopping vibes coming your way.  

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

It seems like things calmed down a bit overnight, hooray! Still ready to spring into action but I'm less worried today. There's some smoke haze still in the air but it doesn't look like the apocalypse anymore.

inCollage_20200129_083938197_resize_83.thumb.jpg.552c3ebde0fff1603513bb763d311608.jpg

6 hours ago, mitch_dee said:

So sorry to hear this (along with all of what is going on down there), you stay safe and be careful!!  Thoughts and positive fire stopping vibes coming your way.  

I know right? It's been a pretty lousy start to the year down this end of the world :( We're safe but it's exhausting having to be this alert all the time

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

I would hate having to sit around and wait because maybe.. maybe you will need to evacuate. I really do hope it calms down soon.

It's the weirdest feeling, because it didn't take very long for us to get the essential stuff together, so there was a whole lot of downtime where you're just thinking "Why am I just sitting around? This is an emergency!" But there's nothing left to do anyway

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

Good job on IF! Sorry your lunch was disappointing/not great.

It was a tasty lunch, but not very nutritious, and certainly not what you'd call a proper meal. But that's fine as long as my mum doesn't find out ;) Problem is I don't have anything on hand for lunch today (I was going to make curry for dinner last night so I could have leftovers, but we ended up having salad instead) so I'm going to have to buy something mediocre from the cafeteria.

• Like 3

So far Wednesday has been drama-free. Even lunch wasn't too bad, although I don't like paying so much for something that would've been tastier if I'd made it myself. Also the exercise from yesterday has caught up with me; my thighs in particular struggled going downstairs. So I'll just relax for today and have another go tomorrow.

Had some good financial win this week too! Hair straightening brushes are a thing!? Never heard of them until the other day but I'm very excited. I would suck at using a conventional straightener but a heated brush sounds perfect for me. But I've resisted the urge to dash out to the shops and grab one; that's what I did when I decided I wanted an electric razor and I've used it maybe three times. Instead I'm giving myself a cooling-off period, and next time I'm at the mall I'll pop into Target and have a look, but I won't let myself get carried away obsessing over something I "need" when I've done perfectly well without my whole life.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

It seems like things calmed down a bit overnight, hooray! Still ready to spring into action but I'm less worried today. There's some smoke haze still in the air but it doesn't look like the apocalypse anymore.

As cool as the apocalypse sky looks.... yahhhhhh lets get you some fresh air lol

It's the weirdest feeling, because it didn't take very long for us to get the essential stuff together, so there was a whole lot of downtime where you're just thinking "Why am I just sitting around? This is an emergency!" But there's nothing left to do anyway

I hate anything where its a "HURRY! to wait" sort of thing. So you have my deepest condolences 

It was a tasty lunch, but not very nutritious, and certainly not what you'd call a proper meal. But that's fine as long as my mum doesn't find out ;) Problem is I don't have anything on hand for lunch today (I was going to make curry for dinner last night so I could have leftovers, but we ended up having salad instead) so I'm going to have to buy something mediocre from the cafeteria.

Lol Well I will keep it secret from your mum ;) I was going to say maybe you will be pleasantly surprised by the cafeteria foods today but then I remembered you have most likely had lunch already :P and reading your update I see that is true. Glad it wasn't the worst.

7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Had some good financial win this week too! Hair straightening brushes are a thing!? Never heard of them until the other day but I'm very excited. I would suck at using a conventional straightener but a heated brush sounds perfect for me. But I've resisted the urge to dash out to the shops and grab one; that's what I did when I decided I wanted an electric razor and I've used it maybe three times. Instead I'm giving myself a cooling-off period, and next time I'm at the mall I'll pop into Target and have a look, but I won't let myself get carried away obsessing over something I "need" when I've done perfectly well without my whole life.

Ohhh :) That IS a win! Pop on Amazon and read reviews so you can see if other people think they actually work well and see which brands people seem to like. (if you haven't already)

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

7 hours ago, Rookie said:

As cool as the apocalypse sky looks.... yahhhhhh lets get you some fresh air lol

They've actually had to tell people to stop going towards the fire because all the Instagram nuts are clogging up the roads *facepalm*

The fire seems to have slowed down for now but today we're at the start of a dry heat wave so things could change again. Auspocalypse is very much still on!

Lol Well I will keep it secret from your mum ;) I was going to say maybe you will be pleasantly surprised by the cafeteria foods today but then I remembered you have most likely had lunch already :P and reading your update I see that is true. Glad it wasn't the worst.

It was OK, but I don't think I can stand it twice in a row so I might get something deep-fried for lunch today instead. Problem is the staff cafe is lousy but the public cafe for the tourists is way too fancy ($25 for a salad!!) Usually the happy medium is my own cooking but I haven't bothered lately. Next week I'm definitely putting in more of an effort so I can stop whining ;)

Ohhh :) That IS a win! Pop on Amazon and read reviews so you can see if other people think they actually work well and see which brands people seem to like. (if you haven't already)

I've done a little window shopping online but I could feel myself getting overexcited so I'm pressing pause on that for a bit. Might get one in a few weeks as a birthday present to myself :D

• Like 1

Oofta, scary scary! And of course the instagram seekers are all in a tis 😒

I'm the same re: cooking. If I can get it in I'm golden! Sometimes that just doesn't happen tho and then I'm maaad. I got chicken fingers today lol

• Like 1