Lateral Planet: Pitter Patter

Lateral Planet

5 hours ago, RedStone said:

Oofta, scary scary! And of course the instagram seekers are all in a tis¬†ūüėí

What's super scary is how easily this became the new normal. I didn't even set myself any exercise goals for this challenge because I knew the smoke would be too prohibitive ūüėÖ

5 hours ago, RedStone said:

I'm the same re: cooking. If I can get it in I'm golden! Sometimes that just doesn't happen tho and then I'm maaad. I got chicken fingers today lol

I try to tell myself that if I don't cook I won't eat, which isn't strictly true because even terrible cafeteria food is better than starvation. But terrible cafeteria food is really bad for my morale so I really need to meal prep this weekend. Today, though, I had chips and gravy. Not healthy by any stretch of the imagination, but absolutely delicious!

20200130_120316_resize_12.jpg.e62b3c2cb4a6b58298a01fac211141f3.jpg

• Like 1

Hubris is a bitch. This happens every time I start exercising again, but do I learn? Nope, I overdo the squats and then spend the next three days waddling around like a penguin because my legs are all seized up. Upper body is still fine though, so today I did 30 sec plank and some knee pushups. Makes me feel better about my deep-fried lunch!

On the downside, I've got a tickle at the back of my throat which usually means I'm coming down with a cold. Really not in the mood to be sick so fingers crossed I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Setting myself up for success this week. I've made a batch of pesto pasta to have for lunches most of the week. It's going to be a busy one so I really don't want to have to mess about with buying food. I also took some time this morning to have a really, really good shower and a little pamper sesh. We've had a heat wave the last few days and now that it's broken I was just feeling so gross. Plus it had been a few weeks since I last shaved my legs and trimmed my nails, and I'm feeling sooo good now!

Otherwise the weekend has been pretty uneventful. That bushfire nearby flared up again so we just spent the whole time at home in case we needed to get out in a hurry. Guys, I'm really fed up of summer.

• Like 1

I'm starting Monday slightly cranky because I've gained another kilo. Of course I know the amount of exercise I did wouldn't have been enough to offset all I ate, but on the whole I didn't think I ate that much junk? I mean, we had McDonald's for dinner the other day, and I had a bowl of ice cream (had to taste-test the new batch) but otherwise I thought I was fairly restrained. Clearly I'll need to make food tracking a major feature of the next challenge!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:10 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Guys, I'm really fed up of summer.

I mean thats fair... I too would be tired of summer if it meant dodging fire and lots of smoke + waiting around.

16 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm starting Monday slightly cranky because I've gained another kilo. Of course I know the amount of exercise I did wouldn't have been enough to offset all I ate, but on the whole I didn't think I ate that much junk? I mean, we had McDonald's for dinner the other day, and I had a bowl of ice cream (had to taste-test the new batch) but otherwise I thought I was fairly restrained. Clearly I'll need to make food tracking a major feature of the next challenge!

It kind of seems like you had lots of salt (chips and gravy - which looked amazing by the way), McDonalds... etc. Plus you started working out again. I mean if you ate enough to gain 1 kilo of fat that is impressive but I feel you would know... cause that would mean you ate a surplus of 7000+ calories. ^_^;  But I think food tracking is a great idea to keep you more aware and you will know if it was over-indulgence. Plus it is something you can do regardless of the smoke and heat levels outside.

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

8 hours ago, Rookie said:

It kind of seems like you had lots of salt (chips and gravy - which looked amazing by the way), McDonalds... etc. Plus you started working out again. I mean if you ate enough to gain 1 kilo of fat that is impressive but I feel you would know... cause that would mean you ate a surplus of 7000+ calories. ^_^;  But I think food tracking is a great idea to keep you more aware and you will know if it was over-indulgence. Plus it is something you can do regardless of the smoke and heat levels outside.

See, when I wrote that post I'd forgotten all about those chips, even though they're right at the top of the page! It just goes to show I have not been very mindful at all about what I'm eating lately. I've fallen into the trap of thinking, "I can have [unhealthy lunch] because I'm making [healthy thing] for dinner tonight," forgetting that I did the same thing yesterday. So, looking at each day in isolation, it seems like I did OK, but all that unhealthy stuff adds up through the week. 

So yes, food tracking is going to be the core focus of the next one. There may well be a colour coding system. Also I just came up with an awesome title for the next challenge: Out of the Fire and into the Frying Pan. It's gonna be great :D

1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

See, when I wrote that post I'd forgotten all about those chips, even though they're right at the top of the page! It just goes to show I have not been very mindful at all about what I'm eating lately. I've fallen into the trap of thinking, "I can have [unhealthy lunch] because I'm making [healthy thing] for dinner tonight," forgetting that I did the same thing yesterday. So, looking at each day in isolation, it seems like I did OK, but all that unhealthy stuff adds up through the week. 

Ah yes lol that's so easy to do! 

1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

So yes, food tracking is going to be the core focus of the next one. There may well be a colour coding system. Also I just came up with an awesome title for the next challenge: Out of the Fire and into the Frying Pan. It's gonna be great :D

Bahaha great name ūü§£

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Just popping in to make a promise to myself. If I write it down I'm more likely to remember to do it, and if I update saying I didn't do it you can all tut at me. I'm working unexpectedly late, so I was contemplating a nice Thai takeaway for dinner but I think by the time I get out of here Maccas and Dominos will be the only options still open. BUT I just realised I have ingredients at home for a smashing noodle soup, so I'll do that instead.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

smashing noodle soup,

as in you smash the noodles, or "Darling, this noodle soup is smashing" (said in posh voice)??

• Like 1

‚ÄúIt‚Äôs the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don‚Äôt do it.‚ÄĚ -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

4 hours ago, mitch_dee said:

as in you smash the noodles, or "Darling, this noodle soup is smashing" (said in posh voice)??

Haha yes smashing as in good. It was actually a catchphrase in our family to "posh up" a meal by using fancier ingredients, like expensive maple syrup on pancakes, or adding extra ingredients, like chopped fresh herbs on a garden salad. I poshed up my basic two-minute noodles with some prawn dumplings from the freezer, leftover shredded chicken and an egg, yum! Still not super healthy because it was loaded with salt and there were no vegetables to be seen, but it's a step up from a nugget meal and saved me some money.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Haha yes smashing as in good. It was actually a catchphrase in our family to "posh up" a meal by using fancier ingredients, like expensive maple syrup on pancakes, or adding extra ingredients

I am soooo stealing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

‚ÄúIt‚Äôs the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don‚Äôt do it.‚ÄĚ -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

It's Friday, yay! It's also Husband's monthly poker night, so I'm on my own for dinner. Usually I take this as an opportunity to eat stuff he doesn't like, like pizza (I know, don't get me started!) But, taking inspiration from Wednesday, I've decided to not let takeaway be the default option so I plan to actually cook tonight. Husband also doesn't eat fish, so I got some nice fresh fillets to cook up for myself and the puppy. Now I just need to find the energy for cooking on a Friday night after a very tiring week.

• Like 2

Friday night was a success, had a tasty dinner of fish and roasted potatoes, no pizza in sight!

Exercise today was hauling several bags of books across a huge carpark to be donated. Damn those things are heavy! Had a healthy lunch but that's about it. Going to a friend's ice-cream themed birthday party tonight so I don't expect to have a healthy dinner. Plus I just discovered two new flavours of Tim Tams (classic Aussie chocolate biscuits), but I'll try to pace myself.

• Like 1

It's the end of the challenge so time for a wrap-up post. Well, this hasn't been the nice cruisy January I was hoping for to give me a head start on a fit and healthy 2020. On the one hand, there were bushfires at our doorstep, choking smoke in the air, heat waves, hail, damaging wind and rain. On the other hand, puppy's health problems came back, work got crazy again and family... well, they never stopped being crazy.

I really wish I could just press pause on the universe to say, "Hey, can everything just chill out for a bit while so I can focus on getting fit?" But there's always going to be some crisis or malaise or something using up energy I would otherwise put into eating well and exercising. So instead of just hoping for a streak of good days, I need to rest my mindset and find better ways of dealing with and getting around the chaos when it comes.

Anyway, that's the general vibe I got from reflecting on the last few weeks. How did I do on the actual challenge goals?

On 12/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, Lateral Planet said:

1) Intermittent fasting. It's been a while, so for now I'll just aim to have my first meal after midday.

2) Track spending. The less I spend, the easier this will be!

3) Use the diary. Update it with a bullet list of what I did each day, and watch out for upcoming events.

4) Read one book and watch at least one movie. And write a book review, just for accountability.

1) Fairly well, in that I skipped breakfast most days, although I can't say that what I ate was very good for me overall. Last I checked I'd actually gained two kilos since the start of the year

2) Very well! I've been tracking money faithfully since November so I can call this a firmly established habit at this point

3) Quite well, apart from a tendency to forget to bring the diary home with me on weekends and then having to catch up again days later

4) Good, I read one book and nine DVDs that I already owned. Not a huge dent in the collection but it's a start

• Like 1