• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tobbe

Tobbe Becomes a Yogi

Today has been our last full day at this place. We're checking out after breakfast tomorrow. It's been yet another day spent mostly in our hotel room working. Because yeah, I have to actually work as well 😛 And also because it's a good opportunity to rest my eyes. I don't feel any discomfort anymore. And my right eye seems/feels 100% fine. But I've got blurry vision on my left eye. I fear I've damaged my retina. The good news is that it most likely will heal. The bad news is that it might take up to a year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_retinopathy The biggest practical issue so far is that it's much harder to read the code I write on the computer. I have to sit much closer to be able to see. (Or crank up the font size I guess...)

Anyway, tonight is the big CNY celebration, or Tet as they call it here. I sat in the reception area after breakfast today working while the cleaning lady fixed our room. And while I sat there I watched the staff decorate a tree for the celebrations. But it's not a spruce tree as we use for Christmas trees at home. It's some kind of citrus fruit tree :)  But they did put "Christmas lights" on it, and red+gold decorations, which seems to be the color combination of choice for CNY celebrations. 

20200124_100205.jpg.0a968cb80db484e82b80eb6ebe4ca530.jpg

When we walked to the restaurant where we were to have dinner tonight one of my boys called out "Look, I found some money on the ground!". It was a $100 bill! Not too surprising because there's a lot of Russian tourists here, and they bring US dollars instead of Vietnamese Dong. When we got back home to our hotel room I could inspect it closer and noticed that it had foreign writing on it. And a quick Google later we learned that it was fake, and that it's yet another part of the CNY celebrations. They buy fake money, and then they burn it as an offering to relatives who have passed away. We all learn new things every day! :) 

Now it's time for yoga and then I'm off to bed 🙏 😴

• Like 4

Forgot to say in my last update, but we finally found a place to stay the next few days. Originally we had booked a place through AirBnB, but just a few weeks before we left Sweden we got an email that the host had canceled our booking. Of course we immediately went online trying to find a new place to stay, but couldn't find anything good in our price range. After a few days we stopped looking and figured we'd work something out later...

We'd been looking off and on, but because of the CNY/tet everything has been fully booked. So the day before checking out we still had no new place to move to 😛 After chatting with a place on Facebook we did get someplace to stay. At first is was just a dorm on a hostel, but they later found a private room for us. It's a bit small, but at least we all have a place to sleep, and a private bathroom :)  And it's just for two nights, then we'll get to move to a proper family room at the same hotel.

So today we moved in to our new hotel, and this is now the view from our balcony

20200125_174055.jpg.15969bcf19f5edb24b604faed4a10281.jpg

We're up high on the sand dunes. It might look far, but it's only a 10 minute walk down to the beach. And on the hotel we have access to two pools and a rooftop jacuzzi. 

One last thing that we all thought was pretty funny about the resort we're leaving this day is that we were promised free water bottles and free coffee every day. The water was nice, and we drank it all. But none of us drink coffee. You'd think they'd figure out we don't drink it after a while, but every day, for our entire stay, they kept giving us four packages of instant coffee :D So on our last day, what you see below was our stash of instant coffee sachets :P 

20200125_114338.jpg.fe1e68f25c064c24cf3e5d6cdf641908.jpg

No garden with shade from palm trees at this new hotel to do yoga in. Not that I've really taken advantage a lot anyway... So this night I did yoga in the room after everyone else had fallen asleep. Lots of pushups this time. Or, as she calls it, plank to cobra and back up again in a slow and controlled fashion :) 

• Like 4

Pretty uneventful day today really. I spent some time working by the pool while the rest of the family swam and played. Also been working on the hotel room a bit. On the plus side I have a proper desk to sit at in this room. On the negative side the AC isn't working too well. We have it set to 16C/60F, but everyone is sweating... 

Since we haven't done much today, I'm afraid I don't have very exciting photos to share... Mostly pool photos, because that's where we've been :) 

20200126_101454.jpg.4c00c55c5a6a4f6160d945ec589d8f49.jpg

20200126_121959.jpg.b8372bb9c86e3f1e242ae8a64d9f3806.jpg

This evening we went to an indian place for dinner. We walked passed it yesterday when we walked to get food, and my wife said she'd love to try it. I picked the place to eat yesterday, and unfortunately it was only I who really liked it :(  So today we went where my wife wanted to go. Feels weird to have indian food in Vietnam, but it was really tasty. For the first time since we got here both my wife and I were properly full after dinner :P Creamy and buttery chicken curries will do that to you :D  Vietnamese portions are pretty small compared to what we're used to. And it's mostly rice or noodles with a little bit of veg and a few tiny pieces of some kind of protein. Doesn't really fill you up very much. But it's tasty, and I look forward to going back to the Vietnamese cuisine again tomorrow. It's actually pretty nice to not be super stuffed after every meal... Who would've thunk? 😛 

Now I'm just waiting for everyone to fall asleep so I can do my yoga without disrupting anyone. Tonight I'm doing this one

• Like 3

I just couldn't resist any longer. I booked more kite lessons 🏄‍♂️

So today at 11 I was picked up by my instructor. Put the helmet on and off we went to their kite location on the beach on his old beaten down Honda motorcycle 🏍

Since we've moved to a new location I had to find a new teacher. I told him what I had gone through with my previous teacher, but he still wanted to go through a few safety things. And good thing he did, because this gear didn't work exactly the same as the last one I tried. I also had to demonstrate what I had learned so far. So all in all I lost maybe 30 - 40 minutes because I had a new teacher... But I did pick up a few new tips along the way. And every teacher has his own way of describing things. Especially with things like this where much of it is learning to feel how the wind in the kite transfers down the lines to your control bar and your harness. After all the repetition we went out in the water to practice swimming with the kite, and getting enough power in the kite to eventually be able to stand up on a board. You want the kite to basically pull you out of the water so that you can put your feet through the foot straps on the board without drowning in the process 😛

Unfortunately the wind died down during the lesson, so after just an hour we had to quit. The forecast said the wind should pick up a little later, so we waited around for almost two hours, but then we gave up. He said we'll try again tomorrow if it's windy enough, but the forecast doesn't look too good right now :( 

I made sure to wear both a cap and sunglasses to protect my eyes as much as possible today, and it felt alright. Couldn't wear the sunglasses in the waves, but the hat did a good job of keeping the sun out of my eyes.

When my kite teacher dropped me off at my hotel it was already 2:30 pm and I still hadn't had any lunch, so I was pretty hungry. But my wife needed help with the kids and our luggage (we switched rooms again). So I couldn't go get food until 3:30. Went to grab some Pho Bo 🍜 takeout so I could quickly get back to my family.

20200127_162909.jpg.f79fb750c4288db39e29d2fee55eb0e5.jpg

It was an interesting experience :) I got that blue plastic bag, with a white styrofoam box filled with rice noodles and sprouts. On top of the box there was a plastic bag of boiling hot broth and meat, and some loose salad leafs, some fresh herbs and two pieces of lime shoved down next to the box. Since the styrofoam box was stuffed full with noodles I really had nowhere to put the broth and meat... This clearly wasn't meant to be eaten on the go. I guess they just assumed you'd have a big bowl or pot or something to put it all in. But, I didn't so I had to try to eat out of the plastic bag and just add noodles in there as I go. Holding a plastic bag with scalding hot liquid is difficult. So yeah, I made a big ass mess trying to eat that. Good thing it was at least delicious 😋

So, yoga

Remember that I mentioned that I had a lot of Indian food yesterday? That fullness was pretty noticeable, even uncomfortable, when I did my yoga yesterday. And that's when my old ED voice woke up again. Haven't heard that voice in quite some time now but for some reason, yesterday it came back again. That was no fun at all, didn't think I would have to deal with that any more. Today has been fine. No more ED thoughts. In fact, I had forgotten all about it already until just now as I'm writing this post. So now I'll do yoga, and hopefully I can enjoy a quiet mind, and a powerful body 🙏 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Holding a plastic bag with scalding hot liquid is difficult. So yeah, I made a big ass mess trying to eat that. Good thing it was at least delicious 😋

Hah I can picture it! :D 

I'm not sure body image thoughts ever go away completely, it's when you choose to pay attention it becomes a problem. I'm very happy that you're dealing so well now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hah I can picture it! :D 

My plan is to ask for an extra (empty) box next time. That way I get four smaller "bowls" to pour the broth in #macgyver

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm not sure body image thoughts ever go away completely, it's when you choose to pay attention it becomes a problem. I'm very happy that you're dealing so well now.

To me this isn't a body image problem. The everyone-has-them body image thoughts are more along the line of "this roll here on the stomach when I sit down shouldn't be here".

This thought was more like "You're bad for eating so much. Why couldn't you just have stopped eating before getting so full?"

Good on you for not giving that voice any power! 

And the kiting lesson sounds super cool! Glad you didn’t burn your retinas out this time 😆

20 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Good on you for not giving that voice any power! 

Listen, acknowledge and let go. It's easy in theory, sometimes much harder in practice.

20 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

And the kiting lesson sounds super cool! Glad you didn’t burn your retinas out this time 😆

Yeah, I'm loving it. But it's a lot of work! Especially when you're not very good 😅  Lots of swimming in the waves trying to find your board.

Not sure about my eyes yet... I'll get a proper checkup when I get home. But at least they're good enough to surf.

• Like 3

Tuesday

Kiteboarding and work. That's about it really. On my way to pick up lunch I couldn't resist taking a few photos of different mopeds/motorcycles. Anything with two wheels and an engine has a special place in my heart 🛵

20200128_150143.jpg.0e7f332cd8541c56ac74ba7df916d2d6.jpg

20200128_150148.jpg.26cf9c917e21bedc7a03181b3764021c.jpg

20200128_150559.jpg.102a41b109e06c5a1ae19cec14e6b1bf.jpg

Yoga is weird. We did cow's knees (cow face pose, but only the knees part). And it was super emotional. I almost started weeping. No idea why. First time I tried that pose, and I couldn't really stack my knees like that. Lots of tension in my hips, my knees, my feet... Everywhere! :) 

• Like 3

Wednesday

Worked in the morning. At 11 my kite instructor texted me that the winds were good, so he came and picked me up. And during this lesson I rode on my own for the first time! And it was awesome! :D I can still only go downwind, but the grin on my face! :D I did wipe out pretty bad a few times, so during the afternoon I had to walk very slowly, and couldn't help carry our daughter. It doesn't hurt all the time, it's just some movements/positions that causes this sharp pain in the soft tissue between my hips and my ribs on my right back side. I think it's from twisting too far, too fast. So now I have to rest and lick my wounds a while. Am I just too frail for this sport? 😛 We're soon flying to the other side of the country. Not sure how the kiteboarding conditions are there. So we'll see how much more kiteboarding there'll be. I do for sure want to do it again though! 

Since I'm always away surfing during lunch, my family eats without me, and I go get some food when I get home. I've found a new favorite restaurant that's super cheap, and always tasty.

20200129_160846.thumb.jpg.0fab59dd21ef18306083c53991118a7d.jpg

Yesterday I had fried noodles with vegetables and tofu. Price of this meal? $1.10 :D 

Because I was hurting I struggled a bit with yoga. But slowing it down and taking it easy I managed to do the full session :) 

• Like 4

Thursday

Walked down to the beach today because we all wanted to go for a swim. But when we got there we realized the waves were way too big to safely swim in. Perfect wind for kiting though. Too bad I was still hurting too much for any kiteboarding 😆. On the way to the beach I took a few photos of some graffiti we walked by. 

20200130_140411.jpg.16d898c07178173699b6f22b5a299164.jpg

20200130_140431.jpg.ce3a7cc30849a82ddc6b0fc1fb2f361d.jpg

20200130_142156.jpg.3eb81bc57b22ee7d95224789188e887b.jpg

Yoga as usual in the evening. For some reason I struggled with following along with the teacher's instructions though. When she said to lift my left leg, I lifted my right, and I had to correct my position several times. I didn't feel absentminded or unfocused, but obviously something was off... Ohh, and OMG, one of the poses she had us do involved standing up and then bending our knees. Then we were supposed to cross our right leg over our left. So far so good. But then the foot of the right leg (the leg on top) was supposed to wrap around and hook on behind the left calf. And yeah, that wasn't even close to happening :P 

EDIT:

Apparently it's called "Eagle Pose". The hands/arms were easy enough, but the legs/feet were a different story...

garuda2.gif

• Like 3

Friday

A long day of travel again. Got up at 6:20 to checkout and have breakfast before catching a bus down the road at 7:50. It was a super comfortable bus with nice reclining seats, so I managed to get some work in first, and then sleep for almost an hour. The bus took us to Ho Chi Minh City Airport (Saigon Airport). Took about four and a half hours to get there. But the bus dropped us of at the international building. So when we went to check in they told us we had to go find the domestic checkin. But no one, even at the airport, speaks very good English, so it was difficult to understand what they were saying, and if I understood it was difficult to know if they actually ment what they said. So they told us to go down, but all signs said that going down would take us to arrivals, and that's not what we wanted to go... So I told my family to stay put with our baby in the stroller and all our luggage and then I'd run and try to find domestic check-in. Thankfully they had rescheduled our flight to an hour later, so at least we were in no rush :)  After finding the domestic flights building and getting the whole family and all our bags there I was drenched in sweat... Our rescheduled flight arrived late, so we had to wait an additional 30 minutes before boarding, and then the plane had to stand in line before it could take off, so when we finally arrived at our destination we were more than two hours late compared to what we planned when we booked our flight. At least this time the driver for our transfer waited outside the airport, so we could just get in to his minivan and he took us straight to our hotel. Nice! And the staff here is very friendly and helpful. 

Our room is big, but it's also filled with three queen size beds, so not a lot of floor space. Because of that, and also because I was very tired from the early start this morning I didn't do any yoga. Will need to figure out a different routine.

Photo from inside the bus we took from Mui Ne to HCMC Airport

20200131_080110.jpg.9c0315bf22178b7130dc54bd80e4af5f.jpg

And here are two photos from the bus company's webpage

15-seater-limo-1.jpg.728bfff3b0490017398dd4cb35f73508.jpg

15-seater-limo-2.jpg.5fea3b6479b56b9c250ba4225d1f6b3d.jpg

• Like 4

That’s a baller bus! Glad everything worked out in the end with the travel day - and 3 Queen beds have got to be fun for the kiddos. 😀

22 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

That’s a baller bus! Glad everything worked out in the end with the travel day - and 3 Queen beds have got to be fun for the kiddos. 😀

For sure did not regret spending the few extra $$$ to upgrade from a regular bus. It was just us and three more people on the bus, so our kids could move around a little, and our girl could get a seat on her own even though she was supposed to sit in our laps.

The bed situation is pretty great, for sure. What we've learnt though is that the beds in both Thailand and here in Vietnam are way harder than the soft bed I'm used to. It's not just that they're a little bit firmer. They're hard to the point of my hips and shoulder numbing out if I sleep on one side for too long. I did contemplate doing yoga in the bed, it might be solid enough 😛 (not really, but almost, for sure!) With that said, the AC in this room is great, and the bed comforter/spread is among the best one yet. And having a bed all on my own was great. So all in all I had a good night sleep 💤

• Like 2

Saturday

First full day here on Phu Quoc, so naturally we wanted to go out exploring. Had to check out some local eateries, the pool, the beach, the closest city center etc. The proper city center is 5 km away, so can't walk there with the entire family, but our local city center is just 1.5 km away. And there they have a supermarket called KingKong Mart, that sells groceries and also a lot of souvenirs. So I found this t-shirt that I liked. But my wife hated it, so naturally I had to get it :D 

20200202_102208.jpg.ca0bc6f452b66fee554c45c90943d07a.jpg

Yoga

Didn't find a good place for yoga outdoors, so once again I ended up doing my yoga in the evening after everyone else had gone to bed. It was tight, but worked out alright.

• Like 3

Sunday

This morning I booked a food tour for the day after (Monday). Can't wait to go! Love food tours. Always a lot of great food, often very local food. And always great stories to go with it!

We decided to go back to eat lunch at the same place we went yesterday. I loved the green mango seafood salad I had yesterday, and everyone else were also super happy with their food. It's now the 2nd of February, but even so, on the way to the restaurant I walked passed this place that still had their Christmas decorations up 🎅 And they're not even the only ones we've seen. Actually still says "Merry Christmas" on the door to the reception here at the hotel. Overall they seem to celebrate for a very long time. I guess they start with Christmas, then our New Year, and then the CNY/Tet, which still affects opening times at some businesses.

20200202_143409.jpg.b70842be1244d034d2d0b9b2356db2f6.jpg

Yoga

Today I finally found the opportunity to do yoga outdoors again. It was a bit of an overcast today, so not super hot outside. So in the afternoon I went out and did yoga by the pool (that was entirely empty). It was nice, but the best part was that I didn't have to do yoga late in the evening. It's very relaxing to do yoga before bed, but the night becomes too short when I have to wait until everyone is asleep to do yoga, and then get ready for bed, and then go to bed. And since we're all sleeping in the same room it's kind of hard to sleep in. So I consistently get an hour or two less sleep than everyone else. And also, doing some gentle movement out in the fresh air is always nice :)

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 11:47 PM, Tobbe said:

My plan is to ask for an extra (empty) box next time. That way I get four smaller "bowls" to pour the broth in #macgyver

To me this isn't a body image problem. The everyone-has-them body image thoughts are more along the line of "this roll here on the stomach when I sit down shouldn't be here".

This thought was more like "You're bad for eating so much. Why couldn't you just have stopped eating before getting so full?"

I've struggled with thoughts like that. I think Hatter is wise in saying  that the problem comes when we  listen to the thought and give it power that it is harmful. And then you feel bad because you have these thoughts! What I am finding it helpful is just to think of those thoughts as a separate person speaking to me, and I just kind of go,  hmm,  and move on. I don't try and talk myself out  of the thought, or think about if it's true, I just act like some random (rather annoying) person said it to me as they walked by. Not sure if that is helpful for you or not, as I don't have an eating disorder.

I'm really enjoying reading about your trip. Glad you got to go kiteboarding again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think Hatter is wise in saying  that the problem comes when we  listen to the thought and give it power that it is harmful.

Agreed, and I think I mostly have it under control. I definitely don't give it enough power to affect my behavior. And I normally don't even give it enough power to affect my thoughts, but in this instance I think I did. And you're right, I did feel bad.

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm really enjoying reading about your trip.

Thanks for letting me know.

Glad you got to go kiteboarding again

Me too!

On 1/28/2020 at 1:11 AM, Mad Hatter said:

On 2/4/2020 at 12:28 PM, Elastigirl said:

I've struggled with thoughts like that.

Just got an email from Isabel Foxen Duke. I guess she's saying thoughts like those I had will never go away. But with practice we get better and better at handling them.

How do you interpret her email below?

While evaluating their recovery, I often hear clients say:o?ih=P_P_s_UVZ_3w_6aE4R_Nwo_6TuPZz_zX2Fc

“I’ve come a long way, but I’m not there yet.” 

“There,” 

A fantastical place that we journey towards—presumably through struggle and elbow grease—and eventually land, never to be challenged by food anxiety or body triggers again. Like diet-recovery Heaven.

I’ve found, however, that recovery isn’t a faraway place, or an achievement, or a place that we land “out there,” 

but rather, it’s a state of consciousness, 
a way of being with food and our body, 
that we can enter into and out of at any time; 

a state of relaxation around food,
a posture of radical acceptance,
a moment of surrender to what is,

that we can practice connecting with or dropping into,
so it’s more easily accessible to us over time. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 6:28 AM, Elastigirl said:

I don't try and talk myself out  of the thought, or think about if it's true, I just act like some random (rather annoying) person said it to me as they walked by.

That sounds kinda like how people deal with intrusive thoughts. Just nope it out and don't focus on it.

1 hour ago, Echoceanic said:

That sounds kinda like how people deal with intrusive thoughts. Just nope it out and don't focus on it.

Yep, basically the same idea. I spent a lot of my life thinking I had to own every random thought that I have. Now I realize that just because my brain says something to me, I don't have to pay attention to it. As an introvert, I can spend way too much time analyzing my thoughts and why I have them, when sometimes the best thing is to just nope it and move on

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tobbe said:

hile evaluating their recovery, I often hear clients say:o?ih=P_P_s_UVZ_3w_6aE4R_Nwo_6TuPZz_zX2Fc

“I’ve come a long way, but I’m not there yet.” 

“There,” 

A fantastical place that we journey towards—presumably through struggle and elbow grease—and eventually land, never to be challenged by food anxiety or body triggers again. Like diet-recovery Heaven.

I’ve found, however, that recovery isn’t a faraway place, or an achievement, or a place that we land “out there,” 

but rather, it’s a state of consciousness, 
a way of being with food and our body, 
that we can enter into and out of at any time; 

a state of relaxation around food,
a posture of radical acceptance,
a moment of surrender to what is,

that we can practice connecting with or dropping into,
so it’s more easily accessible to us over time. 

I pondered this one a bit, and now I think I get what she is saying. It's not like something we just work at and learn and then we are done. It's more just a mindset (or I call it mind skill) that we occasionally have and the more we practice the easier it is to achieve it. That makes sense. So we have some moments where we are just relaxed and our relationship with food is great, and then maybe the next meal is a struggle, and that is normal. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I pondered this one a bit, and now I think I get what she is saying. It's not like something we just work at and learn and then we are done. It's more just a mindset (or I call it mind skill) that we occasionally have and the more we practice the easier it is to achieve it. That makes sense. So we have some moments where we are just relaxed and our relationship with food is great, and then maybe the next meal is a struggle, and that is normal. 

Thanks for the input, both of you :) 

Now on to more vacation and yoga updates!

• Like 1

Monday

At 4 pm my food tour guide came and picked me up on his motorcycle at my hotel. Turned out it was only going to be me and him. So a private tour! Awesome! I've been on a few food tours, and usually you walk around, and stop at different places to eat. This time, he drove me around on his bike. And that was awesome, because that way I got to see more of the area. And he could tell me stories about different parts of town. He was a former chef, but now runs a cooking school (for tourists), and this food tour business. So obviously lots of experience and interest with food. So I got to learn about the politics in Vietnam, the school/education system, the way tourism has grown and affected the local people, how this area has grown/been exploited, etc. Super interesting. He told me that the tourism started to pick up here back in 2012. After a while they realized they needed a bigger airport, so in 2016 they got their current airport. And so, the runways of the old airport were integrated in the public road system. But runways, they just stop. Because that's where the airplanes take off, right? But cars and motorcycles don't do that. They have to keep driving. So that's what everyone did. And city officials, they don't care. So first we were driving on this long, wide, stretch of runway. And then it just cut off, and became a narrow bumpy dirt road where I almost bounced off the bike! :P This dirt road took us down in to the old fishing village and to a "restaurant", which was really more like a shed where they cooked food. There we sat down at tables that were the right height for everyone else who sat there, but too low for me to get my legs under :) At this establishment I had the best meal of the tour. It was a dish that's very famous for the area, and you can also get it at some of the restaurants along the main road, but the most authentic experience is like this, down by the water. And this version of the dish can only be had here on Phu Quoc. There are other variants in other fishing villages on the cost on the mainland, but nothing exactly like this. It's a rice noodle soup with fishcake. Now, you should know, that "fishcake" is the name of anything that is made with animals that live in the sea. It can be fish, it can be seafood, it can be crustaceans. And anyway you prepare it, it's still "fishcake" :) For this soup, they had one paste made of whole ground shrimp and one paste made of whole ground sardines. And then they took this paste and smeared it along the inside of your soup bowl. One paste in half the bowl and the other paste in the other half. Then they put uncooked rice noodles in the middle of the bowl, and finally they poured piping hot broth into your bowl to simultaneously cook the noodles and the paste. Then they put a lid on the bowl and just let it sit for a while. When it was done the noodles were perfectly cooked, and the two pastes had cooked into something kind of like a thin burger patty. It was solid and you could hold it between your chopsticks and take a solid bite from it. While the cook made your soup you had to prepare your own dipping sauce. You mixed sugar and salt. Ground up fresh chilies that you added to the salt and sugar. Then you cut up tiny Vietnamese lime fruits and squeezed in their juice into your little bowl. Finally you stirred it all together until the sugar and salt were dissolved. When eating the soup you dipped your noodles and your fishcake in this sauce. Having this meal was such an amazing experience and I loved the taste of the sardine fish cake. Later in the tour I got to taste another rice noodle fishcake soup. It was totally different! Also very tasty, but the flavor profile was not nearly as interesting. It was much more "friendly", something anyone could eat and enjoy. The second to last stop of the tour was the weirdest thing I've eaten yet. The guide said I was his first customer who had managed to finish the food at that stop. I guess that could be something he said just to make me feel special, but he has only been running his food tour for a few months, so it could be true. The food I'm talking about is called Hột vịt lộn. Below is a photo of my guide showing how you eat it. 

20200203_192924.jpg.14c045086b6c53db10ca32b201359772.jpg

It's "Fertilised duck eggs", Fertilized duck fetus" or "Baby duck embryo". It's a common street food throughout south east Asia. Basically you take a fertilized duck egg and let it incubate for 14 - 21 days. The longer you wait, the more duck features you'll be able to see. Then you boil it for a long time. I got a pretty young egg, probably around 16 days, that was boiled for about 30 minutes. We then ate it with lime juice, salt and pepper. It is very rich in flavor/mouthfeel, so along with the egg you also get a green herb to chew on, to make you feel a bit fresher afterwards. And it really worked :)  Hot vit lon is not something I will buy myself to eat again, but it's also not something I'll refuse to ever eat again...

Yoga

Had to work all day up until my food tour, so I again had to do yoga inside. But I was tired, so didn't want to wait until my wife was asleep. That, however, ment that my wife had to step over me when she had to go to the bathroom to shower, when she had to turn off the lights, etc. So it did disturb me a little bit. Making it harder to keep my mind focused solely on my yoga practice. With that said, I have to mention that actually doing yoga today was great. TMI warning 🙈 , but having eaten a lot of food during the food tour I was bloated and gassy and over all didn't feel great. The yoga resolved all those issues. Lots of gas was released, and all that movement must have helped my digestion as well, because my stomach felt great after the practice :)

• Like 4

Tuesday

Remember back in Ho Chi Minh City how we lost power in the apartment and felt all helpless? Today we had our second power outage here on Phu Quoc. Getting used to it now, and aren't as worried anymore :) The wifi at this place has been getting worse and worse. Today I have barely been able to use it at all. The biggest problem with that is that I'm supposed to do a live Google Meet demo of what I've been working on lately. And I want to really show that I can work even when away on workation, so that I can go again in the future. In the end it worked out just fine. I tethered to my phone and did it all on my 4g connection. And after the demo I got compliments on a good presentation :) 

Yoga 

In the evening when it was time for yoga I really wanted to get out a bit after working in our bungalow hotel room all day. So I took my towel and placed it next to the pool outdoors and did my yoga there. It was awesome to stretch out in the fresh air

20200204_211204.jpg.1ece5dded6d42b8bbd6793c3bee4890f.jpg

• Like 4