Anim: Hindsight in 2020

Anim07734

10 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Also, I've been meaning to ask, but does anyone have ideas on how to drum up interest in the minichallenges/sidequests?  It's demotivating to repeatedly put in the work to create them, and then have interest peter out halfway through the challenge.  Is it time to just throw in the towel and focus on PVP challenges to motivate me?

I always get excited about the idea of a mini-challenge but then end up not really participating because the activities don't match with my regular workout activities. On the other hand, it isn't that hard to incorporate them but I always seem to find excuses. 

After thinking about it, I suppose the biggest reason I don't participate is I am not excited about doing the same exercises over and over even if the themes are fun.  Maybe a if we had a few mini-challengea that were more about participation than fitness (say like a treasure hunt of finding outdoor things to encourage walking)   or something that requires collaboration and discussion here.   I think the challenges that encourage discussion here make a big difference in maintaining participation throughout the challenge

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

AH, sorry. I feel guilty 'cause I know lack of participation can be demoralizing, but my main reason is what @WhiteGhost said above: I have a set routine that is giving me good results - adding or changing it for a mini is brainwork I don't want to deal with. I do feel like the minis in the past that encouraged/ required collaboration and discussion were the most fun, rather than just logging in and plugging in numbers, but I appreciate that's hard to guarantee when participation is low. 

Nice work on your yard, the cleanup makes a significant difference in how it looks. I am also heavily impressed by the number and flourishing of your potted plants. I always forget to water them and they struggle to stay alive. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

The main reason the minichallenges/sidequests are struggling is just the drop in participation across the forums.  During the high point, we had 4-6 pages of just Assassin challenges; now we're lucky to fill 1 page.  Between the changes to the forum software making it difficult to keep track of the threads you want to follow and the NF shift towards paid programs (which I can't blame them for; everyone has to eat and they choose to do it by helping people), it's hard to get new people and keep them.

So I don't want anyone to feel guilty about it, because it's no one's fault.  It's just the state of things now and I'd like to do better.  So as people who would like to participate, but keep having to prioritize their own goals, what would you like to see from the sidequests?  I keep trying to include things I expect people are already doing, but I can obviously do more.  Maybe something like the old superpower challenge where everyone picks their own activities and earns points for training time?

One of the things I'm debating is moving over to the PVP forum to run small group DnD type sessions like the sidequest I tried last summer.  Try to set it up like a regular gaming group of 4-6 players with different classes/abilities and encourage roleplaying/storytelling.  This one sounds especially tempting after I found out the druids and scouts are also having trouble maintaining participation in their minichallenges.

42 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I am also heavily impressed by the number and flourishing of your potted plants. I always forget to water them and they struggle to stay alive. 

Well we lost all of our tomatoes, strawberry, basil, and most of my marigolds because we couldn't find a spot in the yard that got the right amount of sunlight.  And most of the watering was thanks to Florida rainstorms.  Now that we have a yard, I'm planning to start putting in a raised garden bed that will hopefully do better.  But I've got trees that need to be trimmed or removed first.

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

One of the things I'm debating is moving over to the PVP forum to run small group DnD type sessions like the sidequest I tried last summer. 

This was going to be my suggestion. I was super looking forward to that one, and at some point last year @Teancum and I jointly did a challenge where I DMed his challenge based on his existing goals which was a lot of fun for both of us.

If you don't do this one, I may give it shot later in the year as my first attempt at running a mini challenge :)

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

The main reason the minichallenges/sidequests are struggling is just the drop in participation across the forums.  During the high point, we had 4-6 pages of just Assassin challenges; now we're lucky to fill 1 page.  Between the changes to the forum software making it difficult to keep track of the threads you want to follow and the NF shift towards paid programs (which I can't blame them for; everyone has to eat and they choose to do it by helping people), it's hard to get new people and keep them.

So I don't want anyone to feel guilty about it, because it's no one's fault.  It's just the state of things now and I'd like to do better.  So as people who would like to participate, but keep having to prioritize their own goals, what would you like to see from the sidequests?  I keep trying to include things I expect people are already doing, but I can obviously do more.  Maybe something like the old superpower challenge where everyone picks their own activities and earns points for training time?

One of the things I'm debating is moving over to the PVP forum to run small group DnD type sessions like the sidequest I tried last summer.  Try to set it up like a regular gaming group of 4-6 players with different classes/abilities and encourage roleplaying/storytelling.  This one sounds especially tempting after I found out the druids and scouts are also having trouble maintaining participation in their minichallenges.

Good point on sheer numbers. As much as I loved the assassin minis, it probably would make more sense to move it to an all-guild thing, especially if other guilds are seeing similar reductions in numbers. I think you're right in that more new people are going the paid route (understandably, for the site), but that also means that the people who have stuck with the forums are hitting life changes. When I started on here, I was super unsure, lurked a lot to find advice/ ideas/ etc. Now I've pretty much sorted a lot of what works for me, and I've got other things going on in life; less time to pop on and play (wow, this is sounding like when I realized I was losing my gamer status, sad). 

I'd say give it a go on the PvP forum, see what happens. 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

4 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Yeah, I noticed this too, and while I sort of miss the old days, I also remember it feeling like a second job to manage it, and it was one of the reasons I had to step back. I think the forums definitely left their peak a while ago, but maybe a change in format might be worthwhile, focusing on something that is meant for fewer people versus a catch-all? Seems like you are already thinking that way...

4 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

This sounds like an AWESOME idea!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

21 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

raised garden bed

We did this a few years ago (our backyard slopes so we would have a hard time planting directly in the ground) and would have maybe continued had the wood not rotted (my mother used untreated wood and only one layer of paint because she didn't want chemicals seeping into the ground and ruining her organic gardening). Now we have pineapples growing where they used to be but it'll be a year or more before we can harvest them, if the rabbits stop eating the tops. My mom is planning on doing it in the ground this year (with chicken wire surround to keep out the rabbits), probably plant some tomatoes around mid February and hope we don't get any major freezes afterward. We've never tried strawberries and we've never done basil in the ground (I don't think) but we did use marigolds as a natural bug repellant or something. Let us know how it goes!

old superpower challenge where everyone picks their own activities and earns points for training time?

Reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts challenge except not? I was a new member at the time and that challenge got me to try new things. I like this idea for an assassin mini. It might also help me specifically since I'm hybridizing to the Warriors guild right now (although Assassins will always be my first home).

moving over to the PVP forum to run small group DnD type sessions

I would maybe try this if I don't forget this forum exists by the time it's up. 😅

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

file_4b78aaa1c2_400w.jpg

Week 4 recap:

-Workout - 1, 1 whole workout... after our second weekend of yardwork, we both took most of the week to rest.  I should have done something, but never managed to work up the energy.  I've already done a workout this week though, so things are looking better.

-Projects - Sewing desk construction complete (picture below).  Really wishing I had done it last week, since the last 2 days could have been staining and the rest of the week is supposed to rain.  But finishing construction was my goal for this challenge, so I'll call it good (and go collect my Dratini).

-Cosplay - I'm up to the sleeves on the Arwen mockup.  First attempt was way too long and tight at the elbow,  so I adjusted that last night and now need another fitting.

-Extras - Magic cards got finalized and they paid me last weekend, so I'm counting that as another completed project for the Pokemon sidequest.  Actually got even more than I was expecting, so I'm going to get my tattoo colored this weekend and pay for the painting we commissioned for the wedding "guest book" (the picture at the top).  Then I'll use whatever's left to get our crafting business registered and save any extra for the next wedding purchase.

IMG_20200204_201732468

It still needs stain and poly, and the top won't get attached until we give it to the niece for her bday present (so it will still fit through doors).

And since I never posted pics of the drawing desk, here's what the top will ultimately look like:

IMG_20200204_202656_01

I have to finish the stain and poly on all the pieces before I can assemble it, so I haven't been taking pictures.

• Like 2

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

You have a lot of creative stuff going on. If you weren't starting up a crafting business I'd probably recommend it.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week 5 recap:

-Workout - 2 workouts, no idea why I didn't get the last other than I'm lazy and inconsistent.

-Projects - Weather hasn't cooperated for staining, but looks like it might this weekend, so I need to get the garage cleaned and prepped so I have somewhere to work while my fiancee sleeps.

-Cosplay - In the middle of another iteration on the sleeves, hopefully the last one.  I'd like to get the pattern done and the dress started this week, since the convention is 3 weeks away now.

-Extras - Nothing during the week, but yesterday I was told to build a fire pit in the backyard, so I did.  Friends are coming over to christen it tomorrow.

IMG_20200209_164456464

I'm also counting that as my first workout for the new week, though I got my tattoo colored that night, so I'll probably take a couple nights off while it heals a little.  I'll post pictures of that next challenge once the colors normalize.

• Like 1