• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

[DarK_RaideR] enters the Ring of Steel Combat

I just got paid to play D&d for 6-7 hours.

That is all. Proper update and challenge wrap up soon
Living the dream, D_R.
  • That's Metal 1

Alright so plenty of things happened during the last week and I've been a bit cryptic (really meaning:short on time to update) so far. Might as well do a challenge wrap-up now that I'll be reporting everything.

So first of all, I got screwed out of a significant amount of money for the job we got working with the ministry of telecoms. The original agreement between my professor and myself was that I'd be getting a little less than half of the payment, which the ministry will be paying in three installments. First one was due late August (actually got paid around November), second was due late November (still pending) and the third upon finish of the project. So in light of the second payment coming in soon, I brought up how he still owed me a little bit from the first one. We did not agree on the (minor) amount owed, so I had to look up my book of receipts. Spoiler, I was right about the amount. Thing is, my professor was adamant that this would be my final payment for the entire project instead of just the first installment. That means I got ripped out of thousands of Euros and I can't prove anything because the entire agreement was never put to paper. Justice, trust and motivation aside, this basically crippled me financially for the near future by cutting off my expected incoming cash flows. My decision to leave had been finalized before that so it's not like the straw that broke the camel's back, but at least I do have an argument I can use once I announce I'll be leaving. They've ripped me out and made a ton of money on my back while doing nothing, I've literally ran the entire project on my own. Now they're making even more money without moving a finger, so STFU.

Back to week 3 or 4 now, I was contacted by some UK recruiter on LinkedIn. I should point out that LinkedIn is still a very primitive concept round these parts plus as a general rule, I do not add people there that I haven't worked with, even if they're my real life friends. Still, back before I went to work for the ministry around 2016, I was in touch with a good friend who lives in the UK and she'd passed my CV around to a few recruiters, so I figured he might be one. Moments after accepting, I got a mail asking for my CV and a mention of "opportunities". I figured that would involve me moving to the UK, but somehow he was actually talking about eight major law firms in Greece who've hired him to bring in talent. We've had a chat over the phone, I told him I'm interested and he's forwarded my CV to them so now we're waiting for a response from those interested so an interview can be scheduled. For the record, that's the scenario I was intentionally not telling @deftona a while back.

Thing is, I landed another interview for last Friday, plus another for tomorrow (Wednesday). The Friday interview went really well, I had no shady or negative takeaways afterwards whether that had to do with what I was told or what I said (or didn't say). I'm waiting for a response by the end of this week, but the mere fact that I'm finally being called in for interviews and on topics regarding my field of work is already a positive sign of moving towards the right direction.

It's been a pretty busy week with movies too, saw 1917 with the gf on Wednesday and loved it, especially after having seen a bunch of self-indulgent movies like The Irishman or Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Had one last burst on Sunday with Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (see previous sentence), Jojo Rabbit (terrible) and Little Women (bearable) plus a few short animated nominations ("Hair Love" is where it's at) then we watched the Oscars. Usually we'll go to a friend's house, but this year there was a screening at a cinema near our house and we spent the night there. Like, literally spent the night there, the ceremony ended at 7am and I went for a quick nap before going straight to work. Fun times.

Last but not least, remember my final goal for this challenge? Well, I can say Achievement Unlocked because I actually got paid to play D&d!

You can probably tell by the video that the house was packed. I landed a table of 5 players, 3 male and 2 female, who already knew each other BUT all wanted to play with custom characters instead of the pre-made and two of those players were playing D&d for the very first time ever, so you can imagine it was a pretty complicated and stressful procedure, especially since we had to be ready by game time. Also, the place was short on chairs already and the little stool I was given was placed at a spot of high traffic, so after a bit of constant dodging, I decided to spend the rest of the day standing. That's 7 hours straight of DMing on my feet, y'all. On the bright side though, all the players were chill and relaxed, which made for a great experience. They didn't mind a rushed start before we could finalize things like backgrounds or equipment, they were fine with some necessary blurry details or some forced fast forwards to keep the game going and they openly told me they wouldn't be challenging some stuff just so the game could go. Which was great, because the idea was that in a post apocalyptic world ravaged by demons, they'd be going on a quest to summon more in hopes of the fiends tearing each other apart and the human survivors launching a counterattack. That's questionable to begin with, then we also had a paladin PC, so you see why it was great that they just rolled with it in order to get some actual game time instead of spending all the time allocated into philosophical and moral debate. Another player, one of the first timers, ended up playing a warlock of the Lovecraftian Old Ones, which has probably the most complex mechanics but somehow it worked, plus he portrayed that character as a funny edgelord parody. Knowing that the end of phase 1 involved sacrifice and demonic posession, I was certain he'd not only volunteer but even enjoy that twist, which was absolutely right. Some stuff had to be cut out in the end, the event itself had several people that had to coordinate plus time constraints so while it wasn't ideal, it was fun and that's what matters at the end of the day. Plus players will never know what the original idea was, what I cut off, added in, altered or winged, so to them it should feel just fine.

The pay itself wasn't great, but I did get paid to D&d in the first place and supported such events which I'm glad to see happening. I also got to know a fellow GM and we've kept in touch via Facebook (plus my players also wanted to add me on Facebook to keep in touch) and there are already plans for another event to take place. Never thought I could live off being a professional DM, but making some money on the side while having fun with a game I enjoy is not a bad deal. Let's see how the new landscape will look like after I land a new job, then I can see if I have the time and cerebral capacity to continue travelling down this path.

Challenge Results

Goal 1: Sugar detox, zero sugar intake: Had a rough first week in the tail end of the holidays, but weeks 2 and 3 were a clean sweep. Slipped back after that, so kind of a 50-50 outcome I suppose?

Goal 2: Muay Thai, 2/week: Only missed training during week 4.

Goal 3: Self Care Routine: Haven't been adamant with this, but having the goal alone was helpful in reminding me to moisturize more often than I otherwise would.

Goal 4: Dungeons & Dragons Prep: Not much prep was made ahead of time and due to the event organizer being really terrible with communicating what he has in mind, I ended up with him running phase 2 and me having to whip up something out of nothing for my players, but I pulled through and the event was carried out with me doing well, everyone having a fun time and making a bit of coin in the process.

• Like 7

On 2/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

I just got paid to play D&d for 6-7 hours.

That is all. Proper update and challenge wrap up soon

Bring your dice to Chicago and play with RealPhilosophers (tm) on Wednesday the 26th at the Palmer House before the  APA-Central Conference gets going. I'll be the Paladin in Black.

• That's Metal 3

Sorry about your professor screwing you over, but I'm glad you got a chance to actually get paid to play DM! I've never heard of such a thing! That's awesome, my friend!

• Thanks 1

That's awesome about all of the interviews and other indications of interest you are getting.  I am super excited for you and sending all the good vibes that you get something stable that pays enough to live comfortably on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1