Mike Wazowski's Workout / Dance / Etc. Log

Starting a battle log, mostly to keep track of CrossFit / other conditioning workouts so I can get a sense of progress, but also will probably record notes on dance training sessions as they happen too.

12/30/2019:

This morning's "CrossFit" class (all in pounds, all 31x1 tempo, DB refers to single arm weight)

Warm-ups

Hammer Grip DB Press: 1x10x15, 4x12x15 (definitely noticed anterior delts the most, don't think I could've gone heavier)

Front Squat: 1x10x45, 1x10x75, 4x12x95 (didn't feel these a ton in the legs, more in the rack muscles, especially traps supporting; also, my breathing was wonky with this tempo)

Hammer Grip DB Bench: 1x10x20, 4x12x25 (felt these most in the triceps, barely had a rep in the tank at the end of each set)

• Like 3

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

12/30/2019 dance practice:

• Warmed up
  • ~1 hour of working through my kiddos' gold ballroom routines, emphasizing keeping both sides of my body lifted / projected up and initiating / controlling the movements through my core (plus all the miscellaneous book details I came across while studying the books at home on break)
  • ~1 hour of working through my kiddos' bronze - gold latin routines, emphasizing a vertical stretch through my spine, finding a rotation within my hips or chest at all times, and finishing my leg and feet lines; feet got very tired by the end and some of the technique started to break down, but I was really happy with the progress I made

I was really happy with this as a first practice back after break.

Note: I'll be keeping the same rough focuses all quarter as I practice, so I'll probably stop elaborating on them

Nothing else to report from 12/31/2019 or 01/01/2020. Very sluggish days, both of them.

• Like 2

Update from the last week or so:

01/02: About an hour of dance practice, exclusively focused on my kiddos' ballroom routines.

01/03 - 01/05: First real weekend of practice back with my partner, and it was brutal on my legs! Everything kinda hurts but I'm also really excited about where things are going. We had a PHENOMENAL lesson from a visiting coach on Saturday that really helped tie together some quality of movement topics I've been hearing about but had never fully integrated into my dancing. And (unrelated to my own training) I taught my first one-on-one lesson to my first amateur couple (I've taught youth from my program 1:1, but this was one where I'm paid in bona fide money, not just free lessons).

This morning's strength and conditioning workout (the program write-up from the owner talked about why he's moved away from the branding of "CrossFit" for his gym - it's still the same gym, but I'm no longer calling it CrossFit):

01/06/2020 Str & Con

• Hammer Grip DB Bench (all 31x1 tempo, 75s rest between): 10 x 20#, 10 x 30#, 4 x 10 x 40# (should go heavier next week, the last two sets were hard but still manageable)
  • (BW) Barbell inverted row w/ supinated grip (60 s rest between superset sets): 4 x 20 (could drop by at least rung on the rack next time, I believe I was able to see 13 notches this go-around)
    • (super w/) DB Flys: 2 x 12 x 10#, 2 x 12 x 15# (could up the weight in the future)
  • Conditioning from H***: 50 DB hang snatches (I did mine w/ 30# and the form was challenging but the weight was not) followed by 50 burpees, all for time (I finished in 4:12, which was very fast relative to classmates, and promptly collapsed on the floor)

01/09/2020 Str & Con

• Shoulder activation warmup: Y's, T's, A's, banded front raises and presses, arm circles, and scap pull-ups / push-ups
  • Superset of shoulder accessory work:
    • Leaning lateral raise: 4 x 12 x 5# (fairly light, could up to 10# next time it comes up)
    • Reverse flies: 4 x 10 x 5# (also light, definitely could up)
  • Neutral grip DB Press (all 31x1 tempo, 60s rest between): 10 x 15#, 5 x 10 x 20# (felt heavy, but not unmanageable - I'll try for the next weight up on my work sets next time)
  • Pull-ups in a 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 pattern (i.e. do 1, then do 2, etc. til you do 5, then back down) - I think I ended up doing about 47 strict, 28 as negatives; I cut my left index finger pretty badly while cooking yesterday, which certainly was a distraction and didn't help the grip strength - but regardless, this workout highlighted that pull-ups are an area of opportunity I'd REALLY like to get working on, still need to figure out the best way to do it

01/10/2020 Str & Con

• Various activation and mobilization warmups w/ a lax ball, pvc pipes, and a small band - I don't remember specifics because it was an extra early class (5:30 instead of 6:30, my usual class time)
  • Tempo front squats (31x1 tempo, ~90s rest between): 5 x 45#, 8 x 75#, 8 x 95#, 4 x 10 x 115# (probably could push it a bit heavier next week, either 120 or 125 for the working weight)
  • Superset:
    • RDL: 5 x 10 x 115# (should definitely go heavier next time - this wasn't especially challenging in the absence of tempo)
    • Single leg step up w/ KB: 5 x 6 x 35# (6 each side, that is) (could even try going heavier here if they show up again this program cycle)

I crunched the numbers in my head while showering and realized that in spite of the lower working weights, this was still a pretty high volume workout - I full expect I'll feel it tomorrow

01/11/2020 Str & Con

• Warm up stuff (brief)
  • DB Decline Tricep Extension (3010 tempo): 4 x 12 x 20# (these were TOUGH by the end)
  • Plate Seated Overhead Tricep Extension (3010 tempo): 4 x 12 x 15/25/25/35# (these were...weird, but not hard - I'd maybe try upping the weight to 35 for all 4 sets if they show up in my programming again)
  • Seated supinated DB curls (3010 tempo): 4 x 12 x 20/20/20/12.5# (these were brutal by the end, hence the drop in weight - would've grabbed 15#er's if the gym wasn't out of them)
  • Standing hammer DB curls (3010 tempo): 4 x 12 x 12.5# (these were a little light - I should walk around and ask to borrow a 15# set from someone next time)
  • Superset:
    • Tricep kickbacks: 5 x 15 x 10# (this was maybe too light a weight, or maybe my form was off?)
    • Anchored sit-ups: 5 x 20

Weekend was the usual Fri - Sun dance practice, including a really productive lesson on partnering principles on Friday night, that I want to start carrying into upcoming weeks / months of practice (basically, we weren't *really* partnering before, we were just good at synchronizing movements with each other).

01/13/2020 Str & Con

• Warm up stuff, which I really wasn't feeling cause I woke up real grumpy
  • DB Hammer Grip Bench (31x1 tempo): 10 x 25#, 10 x 35#, 2 x 10 x 45#, 8 x 45#, 10 x 35# (the 45's were rough, but I'm glad I pushed myself to go for a heavier weight than last week)
  • Superset:
    • Gorilla Rows: 5 x 10 x 44# (these were tough, but I surprised myself - I was going to just do 35# but didn't grab the KB's soon enough for them)
    • Renegade "Man-Makers" (basically, a push-up to a DB row with each arm to a push-up to a squat to some sort of overhead press, I think mine vaguely resembled a DB power clean to a push press, but eh, they were light enough that my form was probably sloppy and it didn't matter): 5 x 10 x 20 / 20 / 15 / 15 / 15#
  • Conditioning: 3 minutes of Assault Bike (or 50 calories, but nobody quite hit that) followed by 2 minutes of AMRAP mountain climbers (I got 110) (RX was double unders, but I have not yet practiced / learned that particular skill, so mountain climbers were the look for me!)

01/15, 01/17 - 01/19 dance practices and lessons: don't remember specifics of any given day, but hard work was put in applying partnering info to our rumba (open and the class syllabus routines), plus we started on our open cha cha. Class syllabus routines are learned and dance-able to slow music for 4 of the 5 latin dances (still missing Jive), and I've got 2 of the 5 ballroom routines solidly learned (still on track to have all of my stuff up and running in time for my kids' competition on 03/20, hopefully well in advance of then).

01/20/20 S&C:

• Warm up with assault bike, some banded shoulder activation stuff
  • 5 sets of 15 seconds each leg front leaning rest w/ knee pulled to same elbow (sort of like a baby planche progression) into 10 pushups
  • DB Hammer grip bench (31x1 tempo): 8 x 35#, 5 x 8 x 40# (while I was feeling like the last rep or two on the last two sets were hard, I will push myself to increase weight on this guy next week)
  • Conditioning - 2 sets for time, I finished in 4:03:
    • 20 demon press (basically, a weird KBS-type thing with DB's): 15# (could go heavier)
    • 25 wall balls (10# ball, could go heavier next time but I was learning the movement today)
    • 50 mountain climbers (25 each leg)

All in all, a solid workout for the first time back in the gym in a while.

01/20/20 Dance Practice: Warmed up after a short coaches' meeting and got to work - drilled our lead/follow connections in our open rumba, including discussion and reps of our most tricky areas - repped the whole thing to music several times and really happy with where it's going; started working through our open cha cha with the same ideas in mind and got it feeling much, much more in sync as well. Really excited with where this topic is taking us, still!