iatetheyeti: from the ashes

iatetheyeti

13 hours ago, Mistr said:

Ummmm, sorry to break it to you, but January 31 is Friday and February 1 is Saturday.

Heh, oh I know, it just takes a while for me to get there (with the assistance of the calendar on my laptop). I don't know why my brain decides that time should be that way and not this way (this way being how the rest of the world tracks and perceives time...), and it's a pain to work around.

13 hours ago, Mistr said:

Smart of you to give yourself an appointment to jump-start your day. I envy you getting food delivered. In theory I could do that, but I don't want to pay the delivery fee and I don't trust the grocery staff to pick out good produce.

I got lucky with the delivery fee this time around. The supermarket I use has different time slots with different prices, and while the low priced time slots always sell out first, I managed to snatch up this one. And I don't use it for fresh stuff, because I don't want to put that in the hands of someone else either. It's mostly tins, frozen goods, and non-food things coming with this delivery. A last minute filling of the cupboards before Brexit happens (Friday) and people start panic buying again.

7 hours ago, obax said:

Your last few posts definitely have a more upbeat tone to them, I'm glad to hear you feeling good about things and celebrating your successes. Like you say, keep doing what you're doing and hopefully all that postiveness will continue right along with you.

Yeah, I know things got pretty depressing here for a while, sorry. I'm really hoping to keep the positive thing going for as long as I can, not just for my wellbeing in general, but because it's something of a feedback loop. If I can come on here and be happy and say positive things, I feel better. If I come on here and drag the place down, I feel so much worse. It's probably a really obvious thing, but it's taken me a while to figure out the connection...

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Day Three Week Four

Yesterday I woke up to snow, today I woke up to pissing rain and howling wind. Proper Scottish east coast winter behaviour. And if I'd left the flat, it might have bothered me, but as it was, I had no plans to do so and therefore did not. I'll make up for it by getting drenched on the way to and from work tomorrow.

food - I finally got around to working out when my next day off is, and how many meals I have already prepped. Luckily, what I have will indeed get me through to Tuesday. It just means that I won't have a meal prep day this week, which is going to feel weird. I might have to bake some more brownies tomorrow just to make up for it. Today, however, food has been good. I even cooked twice.

fitness - Yoga done this morning. I've found I'm more likely to put effort in if I do this earlier in the day, or at least soon after getting up. I did some mobility and a workout later in the afternoon.

wellbeing - I'm finding the 'never two in a row' philosophy is working well for me as far as keeping a clean and tidy home goes, and that in turn is a little mood boost. I might be struggling with everything else on the list today, but I'm not going to disregard the little victories I have had.

It was a fairly calm day, all in all. I caught up with some housework, got my food shop delivered and the cupboards properly rotated, stuck to my workout times, and just generally relaxed. And while it was a good day, it bothers me. Mostly because of work. I resent that I have a job that causes enough stress that I need a full forty eight hours to properly recover from it. And the weeks where I'm not lucky enough to have two days off in a row? I don't recover properly. This shouldn't be what life is. All this wear and tear and burning out and never actually going anywhere. And I kind of want to say more, but I'm also quite aware of the fact that I am extremely tired and that is having a definite impact on my mood. I have had a good day. I am happier than I was a few days ago. And now I just really have to sleep.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Yay for having a good day!

You are in a better place to start the week with a clean apartment and food prepared.

You have known for some time that your job is making your life difficult. It sucks that knowing you have to go back to work takes away from your enjoyment of your time off. You mentioned that your company might be eliminating jobs. What will you do if your position is cut?

• Like 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

17 hours ago, Mistr said:

You have known for some time that your job is making your life difficult. It sucks that knowing you have to go back to work takes away from your enjoyment of your time off. You mentioned that your company might be eliminating jobs. What will you do if your position is cut?

Right, I never actually gave an update on this, did I? Turns out it's managerial jobs this time around, they're cutting something like 3000 and, supposedly, hiring more hourly wage staff. But if they go the same way the other major supermarkets have gone or are going, then the counters will be the next one to be culled, and that's me. If I do end up in that situation then there's a possibility that I'd be able to stay with the company but in a different position, which is not ideal, but it's keeping both a job and my contracted hours. If I have to leave the company then I'd need to pick up two or three other jobs to make ends meet. There are plenty of them going around here for areas that I have years of experience in, but no one is hiring above a ten or so hour contract. And if it's a full time posting, you can bet you need x years of experience, a degree in a specific field, and so on. It doesn't stop me applying for them, but it also doesn't surprise me when I hear nothing back.

Day Four Week Three

You know it's going to be one of those days when you get to work and find the warehouse flooded. And while I was in the building, it was. But this time I think I successfully managed to leave my stress there, which is a nice change.

food - Not so bad. One prepped meal for work breakfast, one fresh cooked meal for dinner. Maybe some cookies in between...

fitness - Yoga today turned out to be an incredibly relaxing session rather than something more intense. I think this is where a lot of my current calm state has come from.

wellbeing - Maybe not doing so well with the list, but I have had a decent self-care afternoon. Gave myself a haircut, had an incredibly long shower to wash the smell of grease away (spent a lot of time behind the deli counter at work), did said relaxing yoga, baked some brownies, did some dishes.

I'm glad I'm in a reasonably good place right now, because tomorrow is Brexit day and I am going to have feelings about that, and they will not be good ones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

food - Not so bad. One prepped meal for work breakfast, one fresh cooked meal for dinner. Maybe some cookies in between...

You have no idea how great this sounds to me right now. I'm currently traveling, and I'm *sooo* longing for home cooked meals. 

6 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

fitness - Yoga today turned out to be an incredibly relaxing session rather than something more intense. I think this is where a lot of my current calm state has come from.

Yoga ❤️ 

• Like 1
On 1/29/2020 at 6:12 AM, iatetheyeti said:

Yeah, I know things got pretty depressing here for a while, sorry. I'm really hoping to keep the positive thing going for as long as I can, not just for my wellbeing in general, but because it's something of a feedback loop. If I can come on here and be happy and say positive things, I feel better. If I come on here and drag the place down, I feel so much worse. It's probably a really obvious thing, but it's taken me a while to figure out the connection...

No need to apologize, it's how you were feeling and it's important to have a place you can talk about openly it if you want/need to. But I feel ya on how posting here can make a difference to your mood. It's part of why I took a break from posting, I was finding I was constantly reporting that I wasn't meeting my goals, and was focusing on that, instead of focusing on the things I was doing well. It was nice to just be and not report in to anyone if I didn't want to for a while.

Out of curiosity, that important task you mentioned a while back, that you've been avoiding: have you made any progress there?

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

8 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yoga ❤️ 

I've definitely rediscovered my love for yoga recently and it's making so much of a difference.

5 hours ago, obax said:

No need to apologize, it's how you were feeling and it's important to have a place you can talk about openly it if you want/need to. But I feel ya on how posting here can make a difference to your mood. It's part of why I took a break from posting, I was finding I was constantly reporting that I wasn't meeting my goals, and was focusing on that, instead of focusing on the things I was doing well. It was nice to just be and not report in to anyone if I didn't want to for a while.

Out of curiosity, that important task you mentioned a while back, that you've been avoiding: have you made any progress there?

I can't help but feel guilty about it though, and that's a pretty big part of the reason why this is currently the only place I feel I can talk openly. I don't want to bring people down with me, and at least here no one has to read it if they don't want to. It's not quite as bad as it used to be, but it's still something that needs a lot  of work.

And that task is done and dusted, finally. As of yesterday. Because I procrastinated on it a lot more than expected.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

No one in the world will be surprised to hear negative feelings about Brexit.

Heh, I know, right? That's been what most discussions at work were about today, and no one is happy and no one is optimistic for our immediate future.

Day Five Week Five

I knew I'd spend a lot of today feeling bad, so I made a conscious effort to cheer myself up before that happened in an attempt to lessen the blow. It was mostly successful, although today has really been trying me.

food - Actually really good. I managed to cook myself some early lunch before heading to work, I had some prepped pasta whilst there, and I'm currently devouring another prepped meal because I have all of the hunger. Also got incredibly lucky with reductions tonight. The butchery was swimming with reductions, so the butcher decided to pull the trigger on finals early, and I filled my backpack and a carrier bag for less than £5.

fitness - Yoga before work. I'm getting better at getting up in time to do stuff before a backshift, which makes me very happy. Also, I somehow managed to hold the crow pose for all of 2.5 seconds (my previous record is not even making it into the pose) before my wrist collapsed. Pretty sure if that hadn't of happened then I would have overbalanced anyway, but a victory is a victory!

wellbeing - Surprisingly, most things ticked off (and before work at that).

I'm amazed I went to work in a good mood. It sure didn't last because I walked into a shitstorm, but weirdly, it came back once things got quiet again. I didn't expect it to, mostly because I once again found myself in the position of giving out relationship advice, and my advice for this particular situation remains unchanged: get out before you get hurt. Not going to go into details in what is a relatively public place, but I am not giving that advice without reason. Fortunately it's being listened to, though all I can do is continue to offer advice, offer what help I can, and hope. It's stressful.

Fortunately things ended on a good note, and now I'm in a warm place with good food. Aiming for a repeat performance tomorrow as I have the same shift.

• Like 2

Day Six Week Four

Flying visit as I'm going from a closing shift to an open and should really be in bed now. The fun!

food - Been good, cooked lunch before work, had a prepped meal at work, reheating a prepped meal for a fast dinner at the moment.

fitness - Yoga and mobility done.

wellbeing - Things were going to plan this morning, and ever since leaving to go to work I've had no time to think. Not sure that's a great thing, but I'll take it for now.

Delayed my workout until tomorrow post-work due to some fairly persistent leg DOMS. Other than that, it's been an alright day.

• Like 2

Week Four End

Absolutely exhausted today thanks to a distinct lack of sleep last night. Plus work. It was dead today, absolutely dead, and that is the worst thing that can happen when you're forced onto minimal production. I'd rather it be crazy busy. I'd rather be running around like a headless chicken. I work far better under pressure than I do with no pressure (which you should never let management know, something I wish I'd known before hand as I would have made an effort to hide it and therefore avoid being scheduled for holidays on my own).

food - Food today has been both good and plentiful. That saying about never shopping when you're hungry? Well, apparently I shouldn't cook when I'm hungry either. I made a stir fry big enough for four portions (my size portions, so a truly massive stir fry) and then proceeded to sit down and eat the lot in one sitting. It's part of a trend I've been noticing recently, and that's that I am constantly hungry. I'm eating fairly sizeable portions of food, and far more regularly than I used to, so it's a little confusing. I'm not sure if it's because I've reduced my snacking to virtually zero, because I'm now doing more active things on top of my already active job, because I've cut out processed food and the large portions of empty calories almost entirely, or a mixture of all of the above, but it's bothering me. I'm not going to change things for this coming week as it might just be an adjustment period. We'll see. It's something to investigate, anyway.

fitness - Yoga done. It was fairly balance based and that's a very weak point for me. I suspect it always will be as I have a lot of problems with my inner ears, and most of those problems are malformation-related (and also why I'm going deaf, yay me!). But that's not reason not to try and work on it, right? Workout also done, though under protest. Overall I'm quite pleased with how this goal has gone this week. It will definitely be put to the test next week as we'll be half a department down and my hours are due to skyrocket again, but it just means I need to keep planning ahead and managing my time properly.

wellbeing - I almost don't want to comment on this right now. Things are a little all over the place. Tomorrow is the anniversary of a very complicated and deeply unpleasant day, the ten year anniversary, actually, and over the past few months I've been doing a lot of reflection on this and it has rippled out into my day-to-day life. I may or may not talk about it tomorrow, it really depends on what I do with the day.

I have to admit I didn't expect this challenge to go so well. Something clicked somewhere along the line, and for that I'm grateful. There is momentum for the first time in a long time and I'm actually thinking about the next stage rather than trying to figure out what went wrong with stage one and how I might redo it to ensure success. So hey, I failed a whole lot, but I got here in the end!

As I said above, the final week will be about holding all of these good habits down as I tackle back to back eleven hour shifts (which translates to thirteen hour days minimum due to the commute). I know what to prioritise, and I know how best to do so. Now I just have to go and do it.

But on the plus side, a last minute shift swap does mean I have tomorrow off, and I will use it in whatever way benefits me best.

• Like 2

It seems like things have definitely taken and upswing, and that's great. I like what you said about failing, but still getting there in the end, that's exactly what I mean about you not being a quitter, and it's a nice celebration of your successes despite everything you've got going on.

Regarding the hunger, I might suggest that, since you're coming off a period of regularly under-eating, and, as you say, eating junk, now that you're eating good food more regularly, your body is ramping up your metabolism a bit, and asking for even more. Combine that with the bump in mood/outlook, and the added activity, it's no wonder you're hungry all the time. Keep feeding your body the good stuff it's asking for, and it should even out in time.

Also, congrats on getting The Task done! Must feel good getting it out of the way, even if it was scary getting there.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

14 hours ago, obax said:

Regarding the hunger, I might suggest that, since you're coming off a period of regularly under-eating, and, as you say, eating junk, now that you're eating good food more regularly, your body is ramping up your metabolism a bit, and asking for even more. Combine that with the bump in mood/outlook, and the added activity, it's no wonder you're hungry all the time. Keep feeding your body the good stuff it's asking for, and it should even out in time.

You know, I didn't even think of my metabolism changing things up like that, but it does seem the most likely explanation. Fortunately keeping myself isn't a problem currently!

Day One Week Five

Had a surprisingly relaxing day. Woke without an alarm and only lingered in bed a little while after waking. Tended to my indoor garden, did some cooking and meal planning, did some general tidying up, read a whole lot, and started drafting out my next challenge. The latter is something I've got a particularly good feeling about. I'll be jumping ship to the Assassins, but chances are I'll still hang around here.

As for the other stuff... I've had a lot of time to think today. It's funny, because I spent a number of years calling this the anniversary of the worst day of my life. But I've had far worse days since then. Most of which have happened in the last two years, truth be told. It's really the anniversary of hitting rock bottom and not being able to get back up. That whole year was a horror show that I very nearly didn't get through, and it's left me with scars that are never going to fade away. Maybe I'll never stop thinking about it, of where I went wrong or the what-ifs or the consequences. And that's ok. All I have to do is not let it consume me, and this year it hasn't. It's easier to accept that it was a part of my life, and while it contained certain events I will possibly never get over (likely a direct result of telling no one until years after the fact (or never), when the damage is long set in and just another part of life), I don't have to be 'over' it. I just have to keep my eyes forward and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I can have a life and I will have a life. I just have to build it first.

food - Plentiful. Two cooked meals plus one cold and three homemade brownies. And still I hunger!

fitness - Yoga kind of done. I got about halfway through before realising I really wasn't feeling it today. Made the decision to just not, and I feel ok with that. I tried, I got a decent fifteen minutes in, and that's better than nothing. Yesterday I was expecting to not be able to do it at all.

wellbeing - I think the above covers things well enough for today.

Back to work tomorrow for the first of a series of eleven hour monstrosities. This week New Kid is on holiday and the Blonde is in the deli, leaving me and I-refuse-to-do-overtime Gamesmaster to man the department. Next week the Blonde is on holiday, and while New Kid is back, she only does a couple of small shifts a week. The following week Gamesmaster is on holiday, and the Blonde is back in the deli.

I mean, who needs sleep, right?

Plan for tomorrow is to actually get my tired ass out of bed as soon as my 4am alarm goes off. And then do a workout. About twenty minutes or so, then copious amounts of coffee. It's not something I'm particularly looking forward to, but this is the time management thing coming into play. I'll be out of the flat from 5am to 6pm, and after that I will simply not have the energy to do both yoga and a workout. The workout will take most energy and willpower, so it comes first in terms of priority. Yoga I can be more flexible with, and it often helps relax me, so that can be done when I get home.

I'm already dreading this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Day One Week Five

Had a surprisingly relaxing day. Woke without an alarm and only lingered in bed a little while after waking. Tended to my indoor garden, did some cooking and meal planning, did some general tidying up, read a whole lot, and started drafting out my next challenge. The latter is something I've got a particularly good feeling about. I'll be jumping ship to the Assassins, but chances are I'll still hang around here.

Yay for having a good day off, historical calendar associations be damned!

We can find you hiding among the Assassins ;)

As for the other stuff... I've had a lot of time to think today. It's funny, because I spent a number of years calling this the anniversary of the worst day of my life. But I've had far worse days since then. Most of which have happened in the last two years, truth be told. It's really the anniversary of hitting rock bottom and not being able to get back up. That whole year was a horror show that I very nearly didn't get through, and it's left me with scars that are never going to fade away. Maybe I'll never stop thinking about it, of where I went wrong or the what-ifs or the consequences. And that's ok. All I have to do is not let it consume me, and this year it hasn't. It's easier to accept that it was a part of my life, and while it contained certain events I will possibly never get over (likely a direct result of telling no one until years after the fact (or never), when the damage is long set in and just another part of life), I don't have to be 'over' it. I just have to keep my eyes forward and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I can have a life and I will have a life. I just have to build it first.

You have come a long way in building a good life for yourself.

The important part is that the bad things that happened did not consume you. You survived, you learned from the experiences and you are in a different place now. It is normal to continue to have feelings about bad things. Our brains are wired that way. The same circuit that once said "arrrgh, that bear nearly ate me at that swimming spot on the river - watch out!" is active for modern traumas. You can tell your brain "yes, this has a distant resemblance to that historical situation. I know you are trying to keep me safe, but this is okay here and now". Over time your brain will get easier to calm down. As you say, you won't be 'over' it. You will still have emotional reactions trying to keep you safe, but you'll see them for what they are. You will be coping better.

Plan for tomorrow is to actually get my tired ass out of bed as soon as my 4am alarm goes off. And then do a workout. About twenty minutes or so, then copious amounts of coffee. It's not something I'm particularly looking forward to, but this is the time management thing coming into play. I'll be out of the flat from 5am to 6pm, and after that I will simply not have the energy to do both yoga and a workout. The workout will take most energy and willpower, so it comes first in terms of priority. Yoga I can be more flexible with, and it often helps relax me, so that can be done when I get home.

You have a fine plan. Add a nice soak in the tub at the end and you'll have a great day.

• Thanks 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

18 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

fitness - Yoga kind of done. I got about halfway through before realising I really wasn't feeling it today. Made the decision to just not, and I feel ok with that. I tried, I got a decent fifteen minutes in, and that's better than nothing. Yesterday I was expecting to not be able to do it at all.

You know what? I think you did the exact right thing there, feeling your body, and giving it what it was asking for - rest!

18 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

That's an awful lot of hours at work. I really hope that, at the end of it all, you can relax and rest. I'm sure it'll take a while to recharge after all that work!

• Like 1

Day Two Week Two

Today I got served my eviction notice. Those of you who have been hanging around for a while might remember the scare I had a few months back when my landlady sent people to evaluate the property. Well, now she's selling it. I have until April 11th to get out. I'm not entirely sure it can be done. Not only do I need to first find a new place, but I then need to pay a deposit (often equal to the monthly rent) and the first month's rent whilst continuing to pay rent on my current place. That's triple rent, basically, without including the fact that I'd have to hire a moving service, without including other current monthly expenses, and without including any more surprises. I don't make that much money. I've never made that much money.

There needs to be a hell of a thought process here to avoid the worst outcome, plus talks with the letting agency, but not tonight. I can't do that now. I'm giving myself this one night to wallow in misery, to cry and sit in self pity and ask why I can't ever seem to make a good thing last, to ask why me and why now, and get it all out at once. Because two months is not a long time and I need to be able to focus on the problem at hand without being distracted by my over emotional self.

• Sad 2

On 2/4/2020 at 7:08 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You are wise to give yourself time to process your emotions before jumping in to deal with the problem. It is not fair you are in that situation and it stinks.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:17 PM, Mistr said:

My sympathy on having to find a new place. That is a huge challenge you didn't need.

I agree with Tank, take a couple days to feel all the pain and resentment. After that you can do positive things.

Thanks guys :)

Admittedly this is a fairly massive sucker punch, but I am doing my best not to let it overwhelm me entirely. I've taken some steps in the right direction already, and after a conversation at work last night, I might even have some hope for a solution.

• Like 1

Day Five Week Five

Trying to make something of a comeback. Better late than never, right? I can't say I've gotten over the emotional part of everything going on, but I'm more or less functional now, even if the stress is doing some interesting things to my body. Stress belly is one thing, but this level of stress causes pain everywhere. It's, uh, real fun.

food - Not good. Abysmal. Tuesday night, Wednesday, and Thursday I ate my prepped meals at work, then went home and gorged myself on absolute junk. Today I have barely eaten, but I have done my meal prep (am still doing, really, I had a late start). Things are going to be moving a little differently with meal prep from now, I need to go through absolutely everything in my freezer and cupboards as soon as possible, so it'll lead to some interesting dishes.

fitness - Nothing done. Blame stress, blame anxiety, blame depression, blame putting my priorities elsewhere. Whatever the reason, nothing has been done.

Wellbeing - I kind of think I don't need to answer this one...

I first found out about this whole mess Tuesday evening. I was at work. Went through to the locker room for a bit of a skive, checked my phone, and I knew it wasn't going to be good when I saw I had multiple missed calls and a voicemail from the letting agency. So I listened to the voicemail. Afterwards I went back through to clean down the bakery, then just walked out. The past couple of days have been kind of blurry, but I forced myself to be open about what was happening at work. I mean, it was blindingly obvious something was wrong and I can't lie to save myself, so I didn't really have a choice in that.

And then yesterday happened. It was a general shit show, an auditor turned up, we failed as soon as she walked in the door, and everyone was flapping about like headless chickens. It calmed a little after she left, and I found myself idling in the deli (which often happens when I've finished with my department, have nothing else to do, and only half an hour left of my shift). One of my coworkers and I had a bit of a conversation about my situation, and after he had gone I explained it to the coworker manning the deli. She asked if I'd considered a flat share and I got about halfway through a negative answer before she said she was looking for somewhere. I shut myself up. Listened. And then we had a long talk.

It's a risk, but it's a risk I'm more than willing to take. We both seem like we're looking for the same sort of thing, I get along with her just fine, and really, other options are few to none. We're due to have another talk over Facebook and look at property ads on Sunday (that's how badly this has rattled me, I'm using Facebook for the first time in something like two or three years...), and should things go well then, we'll start lining up viewings.

It's still going to be a costly exercise, but if this works, then it is at least doable and won't leave me broke and in debt.

And now that I've got that little glimmer of hope to hold on to, I guess I should really try and get myself back on track, shouldn't I?

• Like 3

Good to hear you have a glimmer of hope.

I expect your track is changing a bit based on the recent developments. You have a different set of things to do so that you can pack and move with as little stress as possible.

Does your area have resources for renters? It is worth checking to see if there is an agency that provides help for people in your situation. For example, some places offer short-term loans to bridge the gap between needing to put down a month deposit for a new lease and getting your deposit back from your former landlord.

• Like 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good to hear you have a glimmer of hope.

I expect your track is changing a bit based on the recent developments. You have a different set of things to do so that you can pack and move with as little stress as possible.

Does your area have resources for renters? It is worth checking to see if there is an agency that provides help for people in your situation. For example, some places offer short-term loans to bridge the gap between needing to put down a month deposit for a new lease and getting your deposit back from your former landlord.

Yeah, definitely a slightly different track for the time being...

There doesn't seem to be anything specific for that here (or maybe I just can't find it). That said, I can always ask the letting agency and see what they say.