Reading Challenge 2020

No rules, no restrictions, everyone welcome! Post your annual reading goals here, and report back in with progress updates and/or reading recommendations.

we-need-to-make-books-cool-again-f-you-go-home-with-somebody-and-they-dont-have-books-dont-fuck-them-john-waters-Y5PIq.jpg.def92c6b540ab28991136c87ca86d048.jpg

Oh, I lied, there are a few rules:

Any reading is good reading:

It doesn't have to be books; graphic novels, long-form internet content, periodicals, etc. are all totally legitimate reading materials. Read what you like!

**Audiobooks count!**

1626496108_giphy(22).gif.df7e7aac8a200c4137ed8574172a80c5.gif

Read at your own level:

You may NOT compare your own goals to someone else's - it's all about what works for YOU, and there is no goal too low or lofty to be included. Set goals that will help, not hinder.

1085657666_giphy(21).gif.4e15476e81525daa63b97794a44c1f03.gif

Read for your own reasons:

It could be for the discussion of the topics, for time to yourself, to entertain, to escape, or even just to learn something new - there are no wrong answers.

Books-in-animated-gifs-books-dancing-waltz.gif.9dd789c95349bc7b490b5d166e0a969a.gif pretty-book-bench-nature-water-outdoors-animated-gif.gif.0dd3f1d0e4b940cd5e0ce88b50cd047e.gif 1825192037_giphy(23).gif.c26524de3965db656a5fb0806e051bf2.gif

Tag your fellow NF-reading-keen buddies, and away we go!

1391903559_giphy(20).gif.619370f6b311bae2a48c23dfbc75a925.gif

Click here to check out any recommendations submitted by members; you can either post your own recommendations in the thread and tag Defining to have it added it to the list, or just DM if you'd prefer. Please tell us: Title, Genre, Length, Format, a brief Summary, Why you like it, and a link if you can.

If you'd like to track your goal, feel free to add a sheet for yourself here by duplicating the sample sheet & renaming it for yourself! Defining will add your 'total progress' to the master list (if you want! let me know if you don't, that's A-OK!). NOTE: I'm positive there's a better way to do this, but I have zero experience with shared tracking sheets, so suggestions are welcome! You can change the annual goal to reflect number of books, days completed, total minutes spent, word count, whatever works best for YOU!

• Like 14

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

This is awesome, thanks @Defining!

My goal is to read 40 books this year, and hopefully read 30 minutes a day. :) 

• Like 3

I want actually to read consistently this year. I've been a major reading slump for the past years, so I want to start enjoying reading again. I started reading Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins, and I love it already. I also began Wildfire (Wildwitch, #1) earlier today, but this one is a reread which I read when I was a kid.

If anyone wants to be friends on Goodreads, my username is SMintYoongi (or you can search for Selma Birkedal, that should work as well).

• Like 5

Current challenge - 0.1

Challenges -

I'm in!

I have no specific goal right now other than read, but there are about 25 books waiting in my e-reader.

8 hours ago, Defining said:

Books-in-animated-gifs-books-dancing-waltz.gif.9dd789c95349bc7b490b5d166e0a969a.gif 

For some weird reason, my brain found this gif fascinating and I kept staring at it for a couple of minutes.

Do we start with the new year or on new challenge date?

Thanks for tagging me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm game.  My goal is to read 12 books this year.  I'm starting with Order of the Phoenix.  🙂

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

19 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I'm game.  My goal is to read 12 books this year.  I'm starting with Order of the Phoenix.  🙂

Nice!

Image result for harry potter gifs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

This is PERFECT.  Reading is one of my low key goals for the year.  I really just want to read 1 book for pleasure a month (I'm an English teacher, so I am constantly reading, but NOT for pleasure).   My Current list for the year includes

Beartown AND Britt Marie was Here by Fredrik Backman

The Handmaid's Tale* by Margaret Atwood

Today Will Be Different* by Maria Semple

Breakfast of Champions* by Kurt Vonnegut

Fangirl* by Rainbow Rowell

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald* by Therese Anne Fowler

*= books I started in 2019 that I failed to finish

Happy Reading Everyone!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

I'm definitely in! I have a bad habit of reading consistently for a while, then stopping for months at a time. Aiming for 60 books this year, and maybe an hour or so reading a day. Strangely enough, this is going to be made much easier if I keep being given 11+ hour work shifts, because they come with long lunch breaks which are perfect for hiding away with a book :D 

• Like 4

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Welcome one and all! :) I am loving your reading lists, keep them coming!

On 12/31/2019 at 4:05 AM, zenLara said:

Do we start with the new year or on new challenge date?

Whatever works best for you! For myself, I'm setting up my goals and then tracking starting from Jan 1, but there are no wrong answers when it comes to reading. :P 

418604360_tenor(7).gif.be8774f1d449ff8fedc28342c107fc8a.gif

I've really been pondering my reading this year - 2020 already has a lot on my plate in terms of self-directed goals, and while reading is NEVER 'work' for me, I want to make sure that I don't use it as an excuse to neglect other areas of my life (which I have been known to do). So....

I'm going to aim for 10million words in 'recreational' long-form content - that works out to about 100 books, give or take. Not included in that will be my educational reading for gaining skills & work related continuous learning - I also can't be bothered to track what random blogs/articles I read; but if I go through a whole series of online long-form content (which I don't very often), then I can include that if I want to. I think this will be a reasonable maintenance goal for me, since I hit 120 books in 2018 and over 140 books in 2019. Using the word count as a goal also helps to accommodate the heavier/longer materials instead of throwing more 'junky' books into the mix to hit that type of goal (which is not to say that I won't still have a fair bit of light reading novels).

• Like 4

I'm totally in!

I don't have a specific number of books as a goal, but I want to read at least 30 minutes every day without interruptions or distractions.

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I'm in. 2020 is the year of exploring gothic and metal culture. The former is fairly well defined so I have a long reading list of gothic literature. I'm not sure what counts as metal reading material, but I think vikings and sci fi might fit well? Suggestions are welcome. I don't have rules about time or number of books, but what I should do is make sure books are available to me. That means seeing what's I can get from the library and making sure I pick some things up at the start of every challenge, then put them somewhere visible so they're a viable, easy alternative to nighttime aimless internetting.

I've placed holds on the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, Horace Walpole's the Castle Otranto, and Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology. All paper because I like to hold dead pressed trees in my hands and read by yellow light rather than blue. 

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I do want to add that in 2020, I am also challenging myself to read more diverse books from diverse authors. I am ashamed to say that most of the books I have read in my lifetime were written by white men.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

16 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I do want to add that in 2020, I am also challenging myself to read more diverse books from diverse authors. I am ashamed to say that most of the books I have read in my lifetime were written by white men.

What a great goal. And the internet makes it achievable, too. I would be interested to hear what you pick out.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

What a great goal. And the internet makes it achievable, too. I would be interested to hear what you pick out.

I've already started with the audiobook version of Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. I'll put a list together of books I want to read this year and post it here for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I'm looking forward to this! I've been working my way through the Rory Gilmore reading challenge with one of my friends for the past two years, and am only just starting the C's (alphabetical by title)! My goal is to read at least 30 mins everyday.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

NF Character

Current Challenge

Intro PostBattle Log

"Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

My goal for 2020 is a bit different, but I want to play. My goal is to write down  the title of every book I read. Bonus points if I record a rating of it. I really have no idea how many books I read, and I'd like to know.Also,  I often forget the titles and so I'm not very good at book recommendations, and I'd like to be better at that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm in. I read all the time anyway and I like the idea of a challenge I set the parameters for. :) 

This year, my reading challenge for myself is to become better at getting rid of books I refuse to finish because I don't enjoy reading them. I will delete them from my eReaders, or donate them if they are paper books. Either way, I do not need to hoard books I have no intention of picking back up and read.

• Like 7

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Goals...to finish Co-Dependence Healing the Human, and the Game of Thrones series...

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm in. 2020 is the year of exploring gothic and metal culture. The former is fairly well defined so I have a long reading list of gothic literature. I'm not sure what counts as metal reading material, but I think vikings and sci fi might fit well? Suggestions are welcome. 

You can check out the steamunk genre, it's pretty 'metal'. :P 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Defining said:

You can check out the steamunk genre, it's pretty 'metal'. :P 

Thanks for the suggestion. I just googled it. It sounds like fun. It also sounds really, really specific. I'm imagining that it gets a bit samey after a while, so I think I'll just add some of the first or best works to my list.

• Like 3