Reading Challenge 2020

On 1/6/2020 at 8:33 AM, WolfDreamer said:

Finally put together a list of books I want to try to read this year. I likely won't get through the entire list, and the list may grow over time, but this is a great place to start if you want to add more diversity to your reading habits.

Read More Diverse Books List

Are you accepting recommendations? I've been attempting to expand my reading a lot lately to include more authors of color, women, and LGBTQ+ authors. Recently I've enjoyed:

Ted Chiang - short stories, mostly science fiction

N.K. Jemisin - currently working through the Broken Earth Trilogy, but she has another trilogy as well

Roxane Gay - nonfiction/memoir

Charlie Jane Anders - science fiction

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas ( I see you have another book of hers on your list - I haven't read that one yet)

And I'm going to plug this book by a fellow NF nerd, because it was one of my favorite books I read last year

I read mostly science fiction and graphic novels, so if you are looking for more recommendations, a solid 50% of my to-read list is science fiction by a creator from a marginalized community.

19 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Embarrassingly, the idea that my goal to get rid of books I don't want to read will require me to stop reading them, had not occurred to me. I keep clinging to the hope that if I tough it out, maybe the next chapter will be better...!

THE DILEMMA!

14 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

If it makes you feel better...I have more in my unread piles than you do. Not sure that's a good thing...😕

Best of luck to us both!

13 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday

Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday (because why not start the year with a hefty dose of stoicism)

Curious to know your review once you read this! My brother read recently and recommended them to me.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I started rereading the Harry Potter books last year but didn't finish 6 and 7. Now that I'm currently bedridden I have plenty of time to read and finished Half-Blood Prince in 3 days. That's book 1/30 for this year! And with that I should add something to my challenge: No rereads (except for the 7th HP book...), I have a giant pile of unread books and told myself to not buy any new books until it is gone, I've been successful with that for the past few months but yeah...

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
16 hours ago, SMintYoongi said:

Finished my second book of the year today. 

Oooh, you're on top of things. Way to go!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

46 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Are you accepting recommendations? I've been attempting to expand my reading a lot lately to include more authors of color, women, and LGBTQ+ authors. Recently I've enjoyed:

N.K. Jemisin - currently working through the Broken Earth Trilogy, but she has another trilogy as well

Roxane Gay - nonfiction/memoir

Charlie Jane Anders - science fiction

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas ( I see you have another book of hers on your list - I haven't read that one yet)

And I'm going to plug this book by a fellow NF nerd, because it was one of my favorite books I read last year

Well at least I'm always accepting recommendations! I LOVED the Broken earth trilogy and enjoyed All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. Roxane Gay's Hunger was not exactly a fun read, but it was a useful one. I'll check out the others too!

As an aside, the Dresden files is the only detective story I've liked (movie or book really). To me it reads more like a comedy action fantasy than a classic detective story. They're not the greatest books from a literary point of view, but I find them entertaining reads.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As an aside, the Dresden files is the only detective story I've liked (movie or book really). To me it reads more like a comedy action fantasy than a classic detective story. They're not the greatest books from a literary point of view, but I find them entertaining reads.

Yeah, that's how it reads to me too. It's a great series. :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

I'm reading his book Exhalation right now! 

If you like short stories, I HIGHLY recommend Ken Liu's The Paper Menagerie too! It's amazing. 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well at least I'm always accepting recommendations! I LOVED the Broken earth trilogy and enjoyed All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. Roxane Gay's Hunger was not exactly a fun read, but it was a useful one. I'll check out the others too!

The cool thing about books is that they don't have to be elite from a literary perspective to be good, or enjoyable, or useful to someone :)  That's why there are so many great genres and authors and books out there.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

18 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

The cool thing about books is that they don't have to be elite from a literary perspective to be good, or enjoyable, or useful to someone :)  That's why there are so many great genres and authors and books out there.

In my experience, the opposite is more likely to be true. I recall being forced to read a lot of "elite literature" at various stages in life, that wasn't enjoyable at all. ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

5 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

In my experience, the opposite is more likely to be true. I recall being forced to read a lot of "elite literature" at various stages in life, that wasn't enjoyable at all. ;)

I can commiserate! Ugh, HS English anyone?? Though I guess it's all in the timing, Anna Karenina was not interesting in HS. Not interesting last year either, but I understood more of it, which made it better.

• Haha 1

NF Character

Current Challenge

Intro PostBattle Log

"Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

24 minutes ago, nianjufe said:

I can commiserate! Ugh, HS English anyone?? Though I guess it's all in the timing, Anna Karenina was not interesting in HS. Not interesting last year either, but I understood more of it, which made it better.

LOL they have better reading material in college (in my opinion, but it really does depend on the class), but after 2 degrees in English lit, I have to admit I'm all literature-d out LOL. 

• Like 2

What kind of high school inflicts Anna Karenina on its poor students?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

The kind where they think Honors means AP, part of the reason I didn't stay in that program! And part of the reason I didn't pursue any degrees in English (sorry @Jupiter!!) Honestly with our state's education ranking, I'm surprised anyone had heard of Tolstoy 😂

• Like 2

NF Character

Current Challenge

Intro PostBattle Log

"Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

9 minutes ago, nianjufe said:

The kind where they think Honors means AP, part of the reason I didn't stay in that program! And part of the reason I didn't pursue any degrees in English (sorry @Jupiter!!) Honestly with our state's education ranking, I'm surprised anyone had heard of Tolstoy 😂

LOL no worries! Some of it can definitely be hard to get through.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, nianjufe said:

AP = ?

And after I made my post I remembered that my high school forced us to read Strindberg, so I have no room to talk... 😏

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

AP = ?

And after I made my post I remembered that my high school forced us to read Strindberg, so I have no room to talk... 😏

Advanced Placement. It's supposed to be the college prep classes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

30 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Advanced Placement. It's supposed to be the college prep classes.

US high school is weird.

• Haha 4

Waitwait, you guys did Leo Tolstoy in high school?!? Dude, we had to pick one of his to read in grade 8. Now I'm jealous. 😂

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

I am enjoying it far more than i expected to. May have something to do with Jim Dale narrating.

Narrators can make/break a book. I remember listening to the Myth Adventures series narrated by Tony Roberts when I was a kid; I'm still heartbroken that I can't find the complete set anymore, the only version I ever come across is narrated by Jeff Woodman. :( 

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

5 minutes ago, Defining said:

Waitwait, you guys did Leo Tolstoy in high school?!? Dude, we had to pick one of his to read in grade 8. Now I'm jealous. 😂

Nope. I read Crime and Punishment in 7th or 8th grade though :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Defining said:

Narrators can make/break a book. I remember listening to the Myth Adventures series narrated by Tony Roberts when I was a kid; I'm still heartbroken that I can't find the complete set anymore, the only version I ever come across is narrated by Jeff Woodman. :( 

Seriously. I have started picking my audiobooks by narrator and may have way too many that are Nick Podehl, Michael Kramer and/or Kate Reading. 

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

1 minute ago, Scalyfreak said:

Nope. I read Crime and Punishment in 7th or 8th grade though :)

I had to read it in high school. I hated this book LOL. 

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

I had to read it in high school. I hated this book LOL. 

I've always suspected that if the assigned reading in school wasn't forced on us, we'd appreciate at least some of those books a lot more. I remember genuinely enjoying any Jane Austen novel I've ever picked up, but if I had been forced to read any of them in school, I would probably have disliked them because I wasn't reading them by my own choice.

In hindsight, I am lucky to have had a high school English teacher who allowed us some choice. Instead of assigning one Victorian novel and one Romantic, of whatever, we were given a short list of three or four novels from the era in question, and were told to pick the one that looked the most interesting to us. I enjoyed almost all my English Literature reading in high school, and I firmly believe it was because I had some control over what I was reading. :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, WolfDreamer said:

Finally put together a list of books I want to try to read this year. I likely won't get through the entire list, and the list may grow over time, but this is a great place to start if you want to add more diversity to your reading habits.

Read More Diverse Books List

I've updated my list to include some of the Read Harder recommendations and criteria! The list is still growing and changing, so if you're interested check it out!

Right now, I am reading Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin, the Goldie Vance series by Hope Larson, and I'm listening to Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward.

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b