Reading Challenge 2020

1 hour ago, WolfDreamer said:

LOOK WHAT I FOUND AT A USED BOOK SALE!

I love that cover! :D

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

2 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Yeah, I've been disappointed with Marie Kondo when I learned that the KonMari method wasn't the name for some ancient Japanese minimalist philosophy but just an anagram (is that the correct word?) of her name. 😑

49702536_237612670465747_154457208053982

funny-marie-kondo-konmari-method-memes-2 

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

An anagram would have all of the letters in her name, not just the catchy ones that look good in a hash tag.

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

4 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

49702536_237612670465747_154457208053982

Fewer than 30...?

Okay, perfectly justified outrage aside, she clearly isn't targeting college students with her "philosophy"...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

An anagram would have all of the letters in her name, not just the catchy ones that look good in a hash tag.

Oh yeah, so like... "Damn Rookie" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

• Like 3

NF Character

Current Challenge

Intro PostBattle Log

"Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

I have liberated a total of 9 books from my eReader. Or rather, rid myself of their company. I like to picture the cells on the storage components in there celebrating when I archive something they already knew I wasn't going to read anyway.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

• Haha 5

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Totally not a dig at you but I can't resist sharing this one too :D - https://www.pointsincase.com/articles/im-marie-fucking-kondo-and-you-can-keep-all-your-fucking-books-you-ingrates 

This made me laugh😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I haven't caught up on this thread, but I have a reading goal, so here for the reading goals!

Right now, I'm just trying to make time for 15 minutes every day (though I can't always stop once I start). I would like to make some lists of "classics" - classic classics, but also classic scifi, mystery, etc. I read pretty widely and I do not care if the book is for adults or children. I think the only section of the library I have never taken books out of for fun is the early readers. No wait, Mo Willems and Nate the Great. No section is safe.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2
58 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I would like to make some lists of "classics" - classic classics, but also classic scifi, mystery, etc. I read pretty widely and I do not care if the book is for adults or children.

I'm going to go predictable here and suggest Jules Verne and Agatha Christie. :) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I would like to make some lists of "classics" - classic classics, but also classic scifi, mystery, etc.

Dune, LOTR, Forever War, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Foundation, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Belgariad, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Last Unicorn, Solaris, Left Hand of Darkness, Hyperion, Discworld series...I could go on for a while. There are SO MANY awesome classics (these are all sci-fi/fantasty), you have a rich world of wonder waiting for you. :)  

Lemme know when you're ready for more contemporary 'classics' in the scifi/fantasy genres! ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

14 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I haven't caught up on this thread, but I have a reading goal, so here for the reading goals!

Right now, I'm just trying to make time for 15 minutes every day (though I can't always stop once I start). I would like to make some lists of "classics" - classic classics, but also classic scifi, mystery, etc. I read pretty widely and I do not care if the book is for adults or children. I think the only section of the library I have never taken books out of for fun is the early readers. No wait, Mo Willems and Nate the Great. No section is safe.

2 hours ago, Defining said:

Dune, LOTR, Forever War, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Foundation, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Belgariad, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Last Unicorn, Solaris, Left Hand of Darkness, Hyperion, Discworld series...I could go on for a while. There are SO MANY awesome classics (these are all sci-fi/fantasty), you have a rich world of wonder waiting for you. :)  

Lemme know when you're ready for more contemporary 'classics' in the scifi/fantasy genres! ;) 

10 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I'm certain some of those will end up on the list. Also Wilkie Collins, Arthur Conan Doyle, Heinlein, ...

I second pretty much all of these! For Sci-fi I'd specifically call out Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land too. 

2 hours ago, Defining said:

The Belgariad

THE BELGARIAD. 😍I haven't heard this series mentioned in ages!!

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

How is everyone's reading going? I have to confess almost immediately after setting my goal to read fifty pages I had a bad two weeks where I did nothing. I'm getting back into it now. Share your stories of success, tell me you read every day and have finished five books already so I can feel appropriately admiring/envious and be inspired to do better. 

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

How is everyone's reading going?

Good! Including comics I finished 6 books so far this year... (I started the first before Christmas...)

Just finished Quicksilver. Probably the first Stephenson novel I do not outright love. Maybe because it's part 1 of a long series.... Maybe because there are too many big scientists thrown around... Maybe because I wasn't focused enough to read it on audio... I should definitely give it another go on paper. (So far I have read Stephenson novels only on audio...) (Pro tip: Don't make Anathem your first audiobokk ever; especially when you're not a native Englsih speaker...)

Anyway... I'll start with the first Firefly novel Big Damn Hero tomorrow!

• Like 4

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

My goal was to get rid of books, and it is going pretty well. I have reactivated my account on BookMooch, so I can start listing paper books I no longer have a desire to keep.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

How is everyone's reading going? I have to confess almost immediately after setting my goal to read fifty pages I had a bad two weeks where I did nothing. I'm getting back into it now. Share your stories of success, tell me you read every day and have finished five books already so I can feel appropriately admiring/envious and be inspired to do better. 

I've read 5 books so far. :) 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Akura said:

Good! Including comics I finished 6 books so far this year... (I started the first before Christmas...)

Nice job! I assume comics are reasonably quick to read? I'm trying to get through a ham of a book that includes ALL of E A Poe's short stories, and another which is the entire history of the United States. 

5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I've read 5 books so far. :) 

Excellent. I am suitably envious. I must live up to your shining example. 

3 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Not so hot. I did finish a fiction book & am slowly reading the others I have.

As long as you're making some progress and not totally stalling, then it's still good.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru