Reading Challenge 2020

So far I am still working on my first book. I am almost done and have the second one ready. 

Book 1 - Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 by R.A. Salvatore

This is one of my first fantasy novels, and I love it so far. Just having a hard time sitting down and getting it done. I am sneaking in time here and there though! I am moving it higher in my priority list. Have to get it done soon, goal is 12 books this year. On my way 😄

• Like 4

"You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course! Stick to it, no matter the squalls."
- Long John Silver, Treasure Planet  🏴‍☠️

On 2/4/2020 at 10:39 AM, LostValkyrie19 said:

This is one of my first fantasy novels, and I love it so far. 

Oh, what a happy occasion! Glad you're enjoying it :) 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 2/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, nianjufe said:

If you're interested in science fiction and collecting possible titles, I suggest this book which has almost all of Orson Scott Card's short stories. I agree that Poe can have a one track theme. I haven't read a lot of his work, but I also think I've read enough.

@Harriet I'd also like to suggest the short stories of Philip K. Dick. You can get collections on Kindle for not much at all (if anything) and they're all really rather good (if you like science fiction).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

@Harriet I'd also like to suggest the short stories of Philip K. Dick. You can get collections on Kindle for not much at all (if anything) and they're all really rather good (if you like science fiction).

Awesome. He's on my list! It's a long list, but I've got time. 

Well, you all have inspired me and now I'm emerging from my reading slump. I've read about thirty short stories by Poe (Ima leave it there... I don't really need to read the other 43), a novella, and four books. Okay, three of them I started last year but I finished them this year, so they count. Now to cram another four books into the remainder of February. I have placed on hold one sci fi, one fantasy, one gothic novel, and one book on mindset and a history of world economics. Let's go. 

• Like 5

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Okay, three of them I started last year but I finished them this year, so they count.

They totally count! Nice job! Also, if you're still looking for more short stories to add to your list, The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo is a good collection. They're sort of Grimm's fairytale-esque. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Awesome. He's on my list! It's a long list, but I've got time. 

Well, you all have inspired me and now I'm emerging from my reading slump. I've read about thirty short stories by Poe (Ima leave it there... I don't really need to read the other 43), a novella, and four books. Okay, three of them I started last year but I finished them this year, so they count. Now to cram another four books into the remainder of February. I have placed on hold one sci fi, one fantasy, one gothic novel, and one book on mindset and a history of world economics. Let's go. 

I personally think Ted Chiang is a great short story writer. 

WOO HOO! February bookin!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

They totally count! Nice job! Also, if you're still looking for more short stories to add to your list, The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo is a good collection. They're sort of Grimm's fairytale-esque. 

8 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I personally think Ted Chiang is a great short story writer. 

WOO HOO! February bookin!

Cheers, I'm adding these to my list! 

• Like 2

Alright, I'm back on the reading train! I finished J.Y. Yang's novella The Red Threads of Fortune which was very good. The world is intriguing and it's very refreshing to read fantasy which doesn't follow the standard tropes, especially with regards to sexuality and gender. Quite lovely writing too, in a way that forced me to slow down. I thought that the characters and relationships could be more developed if only there were more pages, but I'm definitely going to read the rest of the novellas in the series which might fill the gaps.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

@Scalyfreak pointed me here since my next challenge involves me reading more. 

From my challenge here:

Read

I feel like I’ve fallen behind in how often I read. It doesn’t seem like I make enough time to do so any more, so I haven’t been getting through as many books as I’d like. And since my to read pile is enormous, I need to get on that!

I want to read for at least 20 minutes a day, M-F. 

Scoring: x/25 days
Reward: +5 to WIS (+1 for every week completed)

That said, I hope to have my current book (The Daughters of Bast: Shrine of Light) finished by this weekend so I can start fresh. Most likely with a re-read of The Dresden Files series in preparation for July's Peace Talks release!

Read On, Nerds! :D 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

12 minutes ago, elinox said:

Most likely with a re-read of The Dresden Files series in preparation for July's Peace Talks release!

I'm so excited for Peace Talks!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Akura said:

Okay... Okay... Okay... My in-laws bought me the first Witcher novel in Polish on their trip to Poland... Now... I wanted to read something else next... But maybe I'll grab the German translation as well and try to dual-read it...

giphy.gif

Lots of people seem to be reading this right now. Let us know how it is!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Akura said:

Okay... Okay... Okay... My in-laws bought me the first Witcher novel in Polish on their trip to Poland... Now... I wanted to read something else next... But maybe I'll grab the German translation as well and try to dual-read it...

I really wanted to listen to the audio books in Polish, but I noped out after 30 seconds - couldn't stand the narrator and his obnoxious drawl! 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I really wanted to listen to the audio books in Polish, but I noped out after 30 seconds - couldn't stand the narrator and his obnoxious drawl! 

Yeah... Narrators really make and break any audiobook. They can even elevate not-so-good writing... But some are just annoying... 😅

• Haha 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

6 minutes ago, Akura said:

Yeah... Narrators really make and break any audiobook. They can even elevate not-so-good writing... But some are just annoying... 😅

This guy made me want to punch him in the face for some reason. :lol: Neil Gaiman on the other hand could read shopping receipts or legal documents and I'd be happy just listening to his voice. 

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Neil Gaiman on the other hand could read shopping receipts or legal documents and I'd be happy just listening to his voice. 

I have the same feelings about Michael Kramer (he narrates most of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere books and he is amazing). 

On a slightly different topic, anyone notice that 2020 is shaping up to be a fantasic year for sci-fi/fantasy releases? A non-complete list that I pulled from my amazon wishlist: 

Stormlight Archive Book 4 - Brandon Sanderson

Peace Talks - Jim Butcher (Dresden Files #16) 

Agency - William Gibson

The Final 'The Expanse' novel 

Harrow The Ninth - Tamsyn Muir(book 2 of the locked tomb) 

The City We Becamse - N.K Jemisin (start of a new trilogy) 

Ten Arrows of Iron - Sam Sykes (Grave of Empires Book 2) 

The Last Emperox - John Scalzi (hooray sapce operas!) 

A Hunger Games Prequel

I mean, it's a pretty solid year of new releases. 

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

22 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I have the same feelings about Michael Kramer (he narrates most of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere books and he is amazing). 

Noted!

That's not a bad list, not a bad list at all.

Finished another one - Amanda Palmer's The Art of Asking. Got a bit to think about after reading it.

• Like 2
On 1/28/2020 at 8:13 PM, Scalyfreak said:

This will put me at 9 liberated eBooks and 1 liberated paper book.

10 liberated eBooks, finally. Amazon needs to let me remove books from the Kindle app on my phone, the way Kobo does. Based on how slow Kindle have been to adopt the most obvious features other eReaders had years ago, I anticipate this feature to appear in the Kindle app no later than 2026. :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

31 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

10 liberated eBooks, finally. 

Make that 11. Ew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

6 books and one trade paper back graphic novel down for the year. Finished The Water Dancer and Circe in the last 2 weeks. Half way through my first non-fiction of the year. Gonna try to get another 100 pages read over the weekend before taking a break for my fiction pile.

• Like 4

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Loving all the progress everyone is seeing with their goals! I wanted to pop in to apologise for not being more active in this thread; I'm actually in the process of maybe tweaking my goals/stuff for the year, and I may in fact need to also change my reading intentions. I'm totally still going to HAVE a reading plan, but I also think it's good to be open to moving the goalposts when necessary. Figured some transparency never hurts. ;) 

• Like 4

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

7 minutes ago, Defining said:

Loving all the progress everyone is seeing with their goals! I wanted to pop in to apologise for not being more active in this thread; I'm actually in the process of maybe tweaking my goals/stuff for the year, and I may in fact need to also change my reading intentions I'm totally still going to HAVE a reading plan, but I also think it's good to be open to moving the goalposts when necessary. Figured some transparency never hurts. ;) 

+1 for realism and self awareness 

• Like 4

As mentioned a few posts ago... My in-laws bought me the first Witcher short story collection The Last Wish in Polish for me to motivate me to learn their language. And, well, I did in fact buy the German version too and now I'm reading both in parallel. So far it goes well... I can recognise the words for "beer" and "sword" and that's almost enough to follow the story... 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Lurking. Reading. Might do some posting. No promises though. 

What prompted me to break my silence was the fact that I just finished a big Witcher binge last month, and I see others here exploring Sapkowski, and I wanted to say that DAMN I love the mythic depth and characterization of that whole transmedia phenomenon ❤️ 

6 hours ago, Akura said:

I did in fact buy the German version too

Funny story: After I finished the games and went looking for the books that inspired them, I found the English translation of The Last Wish to be SO VERY BAD that I actually bought the book in German and slogged through it. I think my German might be marginally better than your Polish, but only just. It was still better than the English :) 

• Like 2

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth { 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |

14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 | 30 | 31 | 32 ]

[ Current: Metamorphosis ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art