Reading Challenge 2020

I have so far worked my way through a book of Golden Age detective stories, and am now working through The Three Musketeers, one chapter a day. It's going to take a while. But since my goal is daily reading and not a target number of books per year, I can afford to take my time on longer books.

Though I do have a pile of library books that I should give some attention to.

• Like 3

Since....two days ago, I've finished another 2 novels. So that is 15 for me so far.

To be fair, one was a non fiction that I've been working on since February and only have to finish like 80 pages. The second was Nevernight, mentioned by Mad Hatter. Definitely a very bloody hogwarts with assassins. Fun and quick since I finished it in less than a day. I'm going to run out of things to read at this pace.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

You just made my night. I literally lol'd.

LOL glad to be of service. :D 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Defining said:

So, um, how's everyone doing with their reading? :)

Pretty good... I'm reading mindless fluff with guaranteed happy endings right now. Libraries in my state are starting to open for pick-up and drop-off, and I need to get back to providing them with business so they can stay funded. :) 

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

7 minutes ago, Defining said:

I am 100% doing the same!

Lots and lots of romance novels over here... currently one with steampunk cyborgs, because why not?

• Like 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 4/4/2020 at 1:50 AM, Mad Hatter said:

You'd think that being on lockdown would make me read more, but I have to admit I haven't picked up a book in a month... Go figure. 😄

Same.

One thing I found that helped me was short story anthologies. I found it was a lot easier to commit to 20-30 pages of a complete story, than a similar length chapter of a full book.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

55 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Lots and lots of romance novels over here... currently one with steampunk cyborgs, because why not?

Ooh, that sounds fun. What's it called?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Defining said:

So, um, how's everyone doing with their reading? :)

Doing pretty good I think. I've got 30/50 so far. 

• That's Metal 1
40 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Ooh, that sounds fun. What's it called?

Steampunk Cyborg, by Eve Langlais.

Part of the enjoyment for me is that she pokes fun at the genre in general and specific genre tropes in this book, and some of the in-jokes are hilarious. (Especially after reading some of the online reviews of the book from readers who didn't get the jokes. 😀) Also, just in case you're not familiar with her work, the label "erotic romance" applies in full to what she writes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Steampunk Cyborg, by Eve Langlais.

Part of the enjoyment for me is that she pokes fun at the genre in general and specific genre tropes in this book, and some of the in-jokes are hilarious. (Especially after reading some of the online reviews of the book from readers who didn't get the jokes. 😀) Also, just in case you're not familiar with her work, the label "erotic romance" applies in full to what she writes.

Oh interesting. I may have to check it out. Thanks! :) 

• Like 1

Not bad. 21 out of the 36 I had planned to read. Finished all of the current volumes of The Immortal Hulk comic book and I was not disappointed one bit in the story telling and art. It's a great read and I highly recommend it if you like dark Lovecraftian style superhero stories.

I've started on my second quarter non-fiction: Ron Chernow's Hamilton. Hoping to finish it before Hamilton the Movie is released on July 3rd.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

On 6/4/2020 at 9:11 AM, bigm141414 said:

Not bad. 21 out of the 36 I had planned to read. Finished all of the current volumes of The Immortal Hulk comic book and I was not disappointed one bit in the story telling and art. It's a great read and I highly recommend it if you like dark Lovecraftian style superhero stories.

I've started on my second quarter non-fiction: Ron Chernow's Hamilton. Hoping to finish it before Hamilton the Movie is released on July 3rd.

Is that by Ewing, Bennett.....

If so, it was just nominated for an Eisner.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

3 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Is that by Ewing, Bennett.....

If so, it was just nominated for an Eisner.

Ewing, Bennet, Garbett, Simmonds, Jose, Underwood, Fonteriz amounts, according to the copy I have yet to return to my library. :) 

And a well deserved nomination.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 3:20 PM, Mad Hatter said:

The challenge rules say that graphic novels count, but what if it the book doesn't contain any words? 🤔 What would you even call consuming such a story?

I would call it consumption of creative media. I dunno if it's 'reading' as such, but if it makes you happy it's worth counting! :)

How is everyone doing with their goals/reading habits? Mine has been sorely lacking lately, in favour of re-reading 'old familiar' options rather than stretching my brain into something new.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

1 hour ago, Defining said:

How is everyone doing with their goals/reading habits?

I just check my original goal, it's lower than I thought it was. And I've blown past it. Though to be fair, I did have about three and a half months off of work and seven weeks of that where I wasn't allowed going outside more than once a day!

...though I've decided I now want to aim for 100 by the end of the year.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram