Harriet's Year of Metal, Track One: By Force Or By Fire

Harriet

22 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awwww, thank you. Yeah, I used a soft pencil and I could tell it isn't ideal. OMG time to buy makeup!!! But not too much because then I'll be broke. But some! 

Look on for reviews of so-called "drugstore brands". They tend to be a lot more affordable and still be of good quality. Personal favorites are Nyx and Physician's Formula.

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Are your tennis trainers hard soled or soft and cushiony? The chucks are really narrow, so they're not for everyone. And I usually squat in proper squat shoes for my ankle mobility, but I didn't take them to LA because they're huge. 

They are Nike so pretty cushiony. You can and I have run in them. They were billed as a cross trainer, so they are a good all around exercise shoe, just not a good fit for lifting. That being said deadlift would be the only benefit to me. So probably don't need new shoes, just want some. 

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

11 hours ago, h3r0 said:

They are Nike so pretty cushiony. You can and I have run in them. They were billed as a cross trainer, so they are a good all around exercise shoe, just not a good fit for lifting. That being said deadlift would be the only benefit to me. So probably don't need new shoes, just want some. 

Oh yeah, I guess running shoes are not the best for deads. Or squats or OHP, for that matter. 

12 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Look on for reviews of so-called "drugstore brands". They tend to be a lot more affordable and still be of good quality. Personal favorites are Nyx and Physician's Formula.

Oooh, thanks for the recommendations. I've read some things suggesting it's fine to go cheaper for mascara and eyeliner, but that eyeshadow and lipstick are maybe worth spending more on. Although people disagree about the lipstick. But I don't realllly know who to trust. So many pieces are just advertorials. 

Can I just add a lipstick rant... It has taken me my entire adult life to figure out what lip colours suit me. All these damned stupid articles saying everyone can wear red, brunettes should wear berry colours, what's your skin tone blah blah blah. Well I think all dark and bright colours look utterly stupid on me, as do nudes with too much brown. The only thing I feel I can pull off is pinkish nudes, and somewhat desaturated, light to medium pinks and corals. Everything else makes me look like a clown. A big mouthed, pale clown. Maybe it's just a matter of personal taste, though. 

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

I meditated and wrote today. 

Here's a sketch of a dog I met at a temple in Myanmar. She was almost the same colour as the tiles. I think she turned out pretty well but I want to be able to use colour less literally. You know how crazy painters use green and purple and red and blue and pink in a portrait, but it all turns out somehow? Yeah, I'd like to be able to do that. Also, the "paintbrush" I'm using can look a bit sharp and rectangular. Must learn how to vary that. Anyway, here's the painted pupper.

Spoiler

1698074538_templedog.thumb.jpg.e265f3544408dd1e0cc8ac8819abdb23.jpg

• Like 11

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Can I just add a lipstick rant... It has taken me my entire adult life to figure out what lip colours suit me. All these damned stupid articles saying everyone can wear red, brunettes should wear berry colours, what's your skin tone blah blah blah. Well I think all dark and bright colours look utterly stupid on me, as do nudes with too much brown. The only thing I feel I can pull off is pinkish nudes, and somewhat desaturated, light to medium pinks and corals. Everything else makes me look like a clown. A big mouthed, pale clown. Maybe it's just a matter of personal taste, though. 

Another thing that it took me years to figure out and that I wish someone had spelled out for me a lot earlier in my life: None of those rules matter. Partly because they're wrong, and partly because they never tell you why the rules matter, or the entire rule for that matter. Everyone can wear red? Okay, which specific shade of red are we talking about? Should all brunetts wear all berry colors? I mean, the banana is technically a berry, so per this rule I should wear bright yellow lipstick. (Yeah, no. Hard pass.) Skin tone does matter, true, but when was the last time someone explained why and how?

Screw those rules. The only rule that matters is this: If you like it, you can wear it.

So yes, it really is just a matter of personal taste.  :) 

If you have found what you like to wear and what you are comfortable in, there is nothing that says you are required to branch out and experiment with anything that makes you hesitate and think, "um... I don't know..." when you see it on display at Ulta or Sephora.  Wear your favorite lipstick with your winged eyeliner, combine it with warrior braids (but only if you feel like it!) and own that look with confidence. If you like wearing it, it will look great on you. Color wheel rules or tone matching don't matter nearly as much as confidence levels. Makeup is similar to clothing that way - attitude overrules everything else.

• Like 5

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

7 hours ago, ShadowSilk said:

Since I can barely draw a straight line, I am most impressed.  You did his shadow, too!  :)

Neither can I. Happily, they're not actually a requirement for sketching :) Of course, the shadow is part of the picture.

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

If you like wearing it, it will look great on you. Color wheel rules or tone matching don't matter nearly as much as confidence levels. Makeup is similar to clothing that way - attitude overrules everything else.

So wise. This might be what I've glimpsed sparkling in other people. Their attitude and confidence. 

• Like 2

I just wanted to say I LOVE everything about your challenge! Art and Bowie and music and lifting and fighting enemies!

On 1/3/2020 at 7:25 PM, raptron said:

FOR VALOUR.

YES.

YES FOR BOLDNESS.

I read this New Yorker piece last year and it was really resonating with my "I do what I want" approach to fashion that has developed over the last two years or so.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-and-off-the-avenue/holiday-gift-guide-how-to-channel-your-inner-maximalist One doesn't need to purchase eccentric statement pieces to embrace this mentality, but it was my gateway drug, I think. I picked up a somewhat ridiculous floral satin jacket from a dead woman's closet in the Catskills and wearing it unabashedly (and seemingly without consequence except compliments) led me down the path of acquiring more strange pieces and a more rebellious approach to clothing. I find I now treat most things as a occasion to play dress-up and be A Lot (or an alot even) rather than to be less or fit in, and it's been really fun. "I'm a cold hearted Russian ballet instructor," "I'm a an octogenarian visiting her least favorite grandson," "I'm an art buyer with a nice loft," "I'm a soft jock who will beat up anyone who makes fun of my little brother," "I'm a glamour gremlin." ETC. Whatever, it's freeing.

Been loving the art! :D

This really resonates with me. I've always thought I'd end up the crazy neighborhood hat lady when I'm old, maybe I should embrace it now. People already find me eccentric enough haha, then why wait? Maybe it would cure my boredom with shopping and clothes. 

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Everything else makes me look like a clown. A big mouthed, pale clown. Maybe it's just a matter of personal taste, though. 

Or maybe you need to embrace the viking clown look. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I just wanted to say I LOVE everything about your challenge! Art and Bowie and music and lifting and fighting enemies!

Thank you :) 

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Or maybe you need to embrace the viking clown look. 😂

That sounds... unexpectedly frightening. 

Meditated. 

Yesterday we went into town and saw an exhibition: Soul of a Nation. It was a collection of art by mostly African American artists in association with the black power movement. Very interesting range, from traditional to modern abstract paintings, plus sculpture and photography. 

I have joined the 2020 reading challenge and my goal is to read 50 pages of something per day. Shouldn't be too arduous. 

I continued with my attempt to learn digital painting from the dragon age: inquisition tarot cards. 
Here's their bear, and my bear. The soft pastel brushes are useful, and so is the soft felt pen if I make it transparent. Apparently I couldn't bring myself to make her green enough :D 

Spoiler

Original Bear Tarot

Bear_tarot.png.66f82e9e11df4a5e89bf0dd915e785fd.png

My apprentice Bear Tarot

877532002_beartarot.thumb.jpg.f4802a31ab20955f0e34082e6f26d0bf.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

Your bear looks awesome. Casually savage. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Hide contents

Original Bear Tarot

Bear_tarot.png.66f82e9e11df4a5e89bf0dd915e785fd.png

My apprentice Bear Tarot

877532002_beartarot.thumb.jpg.f4802a31ab20955f0e34082e6f26d0bf.jpg

The bear is awesome. I love your hatching technique. A month ago I was trying to give you advice on digital drawing, apparently I should have been learning from you.

• Thanks 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Love the dog and the bear! 

Can't say anything about make-up, because my solution to that problem was to simply never wear any. 

On 1/4/2020 at 12:41 AM, Harriet said:

PS in university I read the transhumanist Nick Bostrom. He argued that the predator-prey relationship is abhorrent, and we should capture all the wild animals and keep them in zoos, feeding the predators plant protein to keep them alive. So, basically abolish nature because it's evil. Ah, philosophers. So.... interesting.

How absolutely insane. 

• Thanks 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares for the new year

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 1/3/2020 at 3:09 PM, Harriet said:

Anyway, I did some fashion things. They might seem tiny, but keep in mind how timid I've been: 

I learned that there are different ways to do eyeshadow, like, all over the lid. Or in the middle. Or just above the crease. No one taught me this stuff.

I ordered some eyeshadow colours that I privately think of as "bitch face" and "my precious". They include dark blue, dark plum, pewter and dark gold. 

I wore ultra high mom jeans with my shirt fully tucked in. I've been wanting to do that for ages.

I braided my hair then put it in a side ponytail (side pony is so useful for squats, but it looks so 80s workout video)

I tied my too-long, too-loose, unflattering workout singlet into a knot, revealing about zero-three millimetres of stomach above my high waisted leggings. I almost didn't do this, because of reasons 1,3,5 and 8. But then I thought of you, @raptron, and I did it anyway. 

AHHHH. YES. 

giphy.gif

On 1/4/2020 at 11:32 AM, Harriet said:

Oooh, thanks for the recommendations. I've read some things suggesting it's fine to go cheaper for mascara and eyeliner, but that eyeshadow and lipstick are maybe worth spending more on. Although people disagree about the lipstick. But I don't realllly know who to trust. So many pieces are just advertorials. 

You may also want to learn that there are different ways of wearing/applying lipstick! Just like eyeshadow. You can overdraw, underdraw, make ombrés, add shimmer, etc. I don't really watch any make-up tutorials because I have not dedicated the time to getting better at this type of thing yet, but I watch a LOT OF DRAG and drag related content which is certainly extreme make-up but always reinforces that this is all made up and you can do whatever you want. 

• Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

10 minutes ago, raptron said:

You may also want to learn that there are different ways of wearing/applying lipstick! Just like eyeshadow. You can overdraw, underdraw, make ombrés, add shimmer, etc. I don't really watch any make-up tutorials because I have not dedicated the time to getting better at this type of thing yet, but I watch a LOT OF DRAG and drag related content which is certainly extreme make-up but always reinforces that this is all made up and you can do whatever you want. 

And own it with great attitude!

Also, drag queens have the best eyeliner. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

The bear is awesome. I love your hatching technique. A month ago I was trying to give you advice on digital drawing, apparently I should have been learning from you.

Thank you! Knowing you liked your tablet gave me the push I needed to get one. Obviously I started with real life painting and sketching first, but I didn't DO it much because it feels like an effort to get all the paints out and clean up, and then it's a chore to mix colours and mistakes are really permanent. So I feel a lot freer to just get started and try things with the computer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Your bear looks awesome. Casually savage. 

Thank you! I can't take credit for the savagery because I didn't design her. I am hoping a mix of imitating others I admire, then doing my own paintings, will lead to the best improvements in my skill.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Love the dog and the bear! 

Can't say anything about make-up, because my solution to that problem was to simply never wear any. 

How absolutely insane. 

Thank you! And yes, yes he is. That can happen to philosophers. Follow the principle to its logical end, they tell you. Then you do, and it turns out there's a pot of lunacy at the end of every apparently sensible starting point. Then you either abandon the principle or bite the bullet and accept the madness. Bostrom is a bullet biter.

50 minutes ago, raptron said:

AHHHH. YES. 

No! No overdraw! (*panics*) )Maybe underdraw? Or ombre? So I'm super pale, and I feel that bright lips: 1.bring out redness in my skin that I didn't even know was there 2. make my eyes appear smaller by comparison because the mouth is everything but 3. maybe even somehow draw attention to my long, thin nose? 
Whenever I put a darker or brighter colour on my mouth I always end up wiping the corners off so it's faded on the outside and more saturated in the middle. That way it looks less like my mouth is eating my whole face.  If I knew about makeup I would know why I do this and maybe have a bit more of an idea what to choose and how to control it. It would be super cool if I could make more colours work for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great bear! I prefer it to the original. I think it's the additional highlights and pastel furriness. 

It's hard to unsee once imagined.

Thank you!

Yeah, imagine being in a little town that's raided by vikings, AND you have coulrophobia. It's terrible, terrible I say. You come out of your little house and see some villain in.. I'm thinking furs, leather, sword, helmet, maybe some aggressive looking braids, and a lead-white face with huge, banana-yellow eyes and oversized blue mouth. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

No! No overdraw! (*panics*) )Maybe underdraw? Or ombre? So I'm super pale, and I feel that bright lips: 1.bring out redness in my skin that I didn't even know was there 2. make my eyes appear smaller by comparison because the mouth is everything but 3. maybe even somehow draw attention to my long, thin nose?

1. Whatever color your skin is, the tone is cool and pink-based. ;)

2. Yep. Human eyes re naturally drawn to the most colorful/obvious thing in our field of vision. Counter it by adding more color and definition around your eyes. (Or don't, and own that Julia Roberts look!) Or do what you're doing now, and soften the lines of the lip color and the surface area it covers, until you are comfortable with it.

Basic makeup coloring principles that matter: Light colors and shimmer will lift something into the foreground and make that something look bigger. Dark colors will make something look smaller, or recess into the background.

This is the basis for contouring... you brush a dark color on the hollows of your cheeks and a highlighter on your cheekbones, to make your face look less round and your cheekbones more prominent. Dark on either side of your nose makes it look more narrow. A highlighter along the bridge of your nose makes it look wider and as if the entire nose protrudes a bit further. Applying a small amount of very light shimmer at the inner corners of your eyes will make them look a bit further apart, and also more open and awake. And so on.

Also, I found this viking clown, which I have spoilered, because phobia of them is a real thing.

Spoiler

viking-clown-B4N1TG.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thank you! Knowing you liked your tablet gave me the push I needed to get one. Obviously I started with real life painting and sketching first, but I didn't DO it much because it feels like an effort to get all the paints out and clean up, and then it's a chore to mix colours and mistakes are really permanent. So I feel a lot freer to just get started and try things with the computer.

I have a friend who has been a professional artist for many years. She does most of her work digitally, because it saves so much time not having to set up and clean up. She does still use paints for pieces that will be sold as wall art. She uses a gesso for texture before adding gold leaf for medieval illumination style pieces.

I think it makes a lot of sense to use digital for practicing techniques. You can make a base picture and then try out different tools and palettes for highlighting and shading. That would be terribly tedious to do with physical media.

• Like 1

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

1. Whatever color your skin is, the tone is cool and pink-based. ;)

Maybe? Is it possible to be neutral toned with redness (due to sensitive skin) as a separate issue? Cos my arms and neck look more yellow toned. And pinkish foundations look utterly wrong when they go on, whereas neutral ones seem about right. 

2. Yep. Human eyes re naturally drawn to the most colorful/obvious thing in our field of vision. Counter it by adding more color and definition around your eyes. (Or don't, and own that Julia Roberts look!) Or do what you're doing now, and soften the lines of the lip color and the surface area it covers, until you are comfortable with it.

Maybe I'll set mini quests to just try a couple of looks and colours. It could be a matter of confidence and what I'm accustomed to seeing on me.

Basic makeup coloring principles that matter: Light colors and shimmer will lift something into the foreground and make that something look bigger. Dark colors will make something look smaller, or recess into the background.

This is the basis for contouring... you brush a dark color on the hollows of your cheeks and a highlighter on your cheekbones, to make your face look less round and your cheekbones more prominent. Dark on either side of your nose makes it look more narrow. A highlighter along the bridge of your nose makes it look wider and as if the entire nose protrudes a bit further. Applying a small amount of very light shimmer at the inner corners of your eyes will make them look a bit further apart, and also more open and awake. And so on.

I'm aware of the theory, but I don't own any eyeshadow colours light enough to actually have a noticeable highlighting effect. The colours that usually come with palettes are generally about the same lightness as my skin. I guess that could go on my list--a really light highlight. Then I could play with emphasising different things. 

Also, I found this viking clown, which I have spoilered, because phobia of them is a real thing.

Reveal hidden contents

viking-clown-B4N1TG.jpg

giphy.gif

Arghhhhhhh. It's fine. I'm fine. Everything is fine. 

40 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have a friend who has been a professional artist for many years. She does most of her work digitally, because it saves so much time not having to set up and clean up. She does still use paints for pieces that will be sold as wall art. She uses a gesso for texture before adding gold leaf for medieval illumination style pieces.

I think it makes a lot of sense to use digital for practicing techniques. You can make a base picture and then try out different tools and palettes for highlighting and shading. That would be terribly tedious to do with physical media.

Right! Even little obstacles can be a big deal when you have super limited energy and motivation. But yeah, hopefully I'll still get out the real oil paints occasionally, but hopefully with a lot more confidence and willingness to take risks. 

11 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Maybe? Is it possible to be neutral toned with redness (due to sensitive skin) as a separate issue? Cos my arms and neck look more yellow toned. And pinkish foundations look utterly wrong when they go on, whereas neutral ones seem about right. 

Yes, it' spossible. Redness can be caused by any number of things, and is typically considered to be in addition to your actual skin color, and a sign of something happening to or with your skin. Lack of sleep, sensitivity, rosacea, sunburn, and so on.

The Pampered Wolf YouTube channel has a video on how to find your skin tone and why it matters. For example, I have pinkish cool skin... those neutral foundations that suit you look yellowish on me, and warm ones make me orange. I also need cool pink nude lip colors, the brown ones make me look grayish in a sickly sort of way.

• Like 3

Meditated. I've done just over five weeks of five minutes every day. One of my future quests is definitely going to be about going deeper, but small and consistent is a good start.

Lifted:

Seated Cable Row 100lb x 5 x 12

DB Bench Press 27.5lb x 3 x 12, 25lb x 2 x 12

Paused Squats 100lb x 5 x 5

I'm thinking about keeping the low rep paused squats but making the other squat day just ordinary high rep squats. High rep paused squats seem a bit silly because the limiting factor is running out of puff (I hold my breath at the bottom for 3 seconds, twelve times per set). I guess ordinary light squats should help form the foundation I need in order to be able to do better heavy squats later. 

I felt super tired yesterday and couldn't get myself to make dinner so I just had tuna and rice. I slept well and I'm feeling better.

I'm now pretty much totally habituated to not eating in front of screens, but sometimes I don't really pay attention to how I'm feeling when I eat, and sometimes I eat beyond satisfied. The initial weight loss was really just a one-off. My appetite has come back and I'm now just sitting around 70kg. I guess that's fine. 

• Like 2