Happy New Year!

I am Mr. L and this is my first challenge.  A bit about myself: I have a collection of board games that I do not play enough (current favs right now are Arkham Horror: LCG and Terraforming Mars), I teach high school math, and I am presently potty training a very feisty 2 year old.

I am starting this challenge, because I have 3 big things to face this year and I need to be healthier to tackle them.  "What are those three things you say?"  Good question.

• I turn 40 in September
  • I signed up for a Goruck Light Challenge in October
  • Child #2 is due to arrive in July

My goal for this quest is to lose 15 pounds by the end of the challenge.

My quests for this challenge are:

No Pop: I am giving up pop (soda, Coke, sugary carbonated beverages, etc) for the year.  I drink way too much of it and I often make poor food choices to get more (ie getting fast food or ordering pizza) since we rarely have any in the house.  I plan on maintaining this particular quest for the whole year.

Be Active: I need some more activity in my life and my goal is to have at least 5 days of activity per week over the course of this challenge.  I plan on starting the Stronglift 5x5 program later today and on some of my off-days I will do some rucking (either on the indoor track at the Y or around my neighborhood - weather depending).

Eat Better: Eat within my calorie target goal for the day - at least 6 days per week.

My non-fitness related quest is:

Cleanup Time: Ever day due 15 minutes of cleaning, or other housework while my daughter is asleep.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 4

No Pop: 6 of 366                Be Active: 5 of 28               Eat Better:  5 of 33             Cleanup Time: 5 of 38

Weight Loss Goal: 8.4 of 15 lbs lost

Yes, I plan on making sure that I have some water bottles in the car on my commute home (where I tend to drink pop most often).  Since, I am also watching my calories, I plan to have more meals at home and we rarely have pop in our house, which should also help.

• Like 1

No Pop: 6 of 366                Be Active: 5 of 28               Eat Better:  5 of 33             Cleanup Time: 5 of 38

Log for Jan. 1

No Pop: I had no pop on Wednesday.  I even took my daughter for a car ride to get her to nap (the holidays have ruined her sleep schedule) and I made sure to take some water with me in the car with me.

Be Active: I did Workout A from Stronglifts 5x5, which is squats, bench press, and barbell rows.  I went really light on the weights and I don't feel excessively sore this morning.

Eat Better: I charted my calories for the day and stayed in the acceptable range.

Cleanup Time: After we did bedtime, I spent 15 minutes cleaning the front room and dining room, so the house was somewhat cleaner at the end of the day then it started at.

Day 1 is done, 365 to go!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Your goals are very solid.  I know for me kicking soda made a huge difference in how I felt every day.  You can do it!

I haven't played Arkham Horror yet but I think my board gamer friend has it.  Terraforming Mars is fun!  I think my current favorite game is Command and Colors Ancients.  I'm trying to scrape together enough pocket change to buy C&C Medieval soon.

Happy Challenge!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Log for Jan. 2

No Pop: None today.

Be Active: I did a 1 mile ruck with 20 lbs of weight in the pack.

Eat Better: I stayed within my calorie target for the day.

Cleanup Time: This was a hard one today.  The Little One decided not to nap and it was All Gas-No Brakes for her all day until she asked to go to bed (a first) around 8.  After she went to bed, I kinda crashed for awhile and almost fell asleep on the couch.  I rallied though and my wife and I picked up the house before going to bed ourselves.

• Like 4

Great start; keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Log for Jan. 3

No Pop: None for me.

Be Active: I lifted following the Stronglift 5x5 workout B, which is squats, overhead press, and deadlifts.

Eat Right: This was done, but a bit of a challenge.  I felt tempted by all of the food, but plan on going out with friends tonight and I don't want to have 2 bad days in a row, so I powered through.

Cleanup Time: I did a quick cleanup after my daughter was asleep and the house was somewhat clean when I went to bed.

• Like 2

Log for Jan. 4

No Pop: My 1 success of the day!

Be Active: It was a planned rest day, so no lifting or rucking.

Eat Better: As I said in the previous Log, I planned on going out and having a good time with friends and not worry about calories.  I am back at it today, though.

Cleanup Time: I got home later than expected and was far too tired for late night pickups.  Back at that today, too.

• Like 3

Log for Jan. 5

No Pop: I kept up with that.

Be Active: I got my lifting in for the day: squats, bench press, and rows.

Eat Better: I got back to tracking and staying on point after my cheat day.

Cleanup Time: I picked up the kitchen and front room after my daughter went to bed.

Sadly, my Christmas break is over and it's time to return back to work.

0779c604ea0d77cb66cb1073730df7e6.gif

• Like 1

Log for Jan. 6

No Pop: I didn't have any pop Monday.  Good way to start the week.

Be Active: I did a 45 minute walk with a 20 lb. ruck.  Exhausting.

Eat Better: I kept at my calorie goal for the day.

Cleanup Time: I did dishes and picked up the kitchen after doing bedtime.

• Like 2