Busy not-work [Manarelle]

Manarelle

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

You could also pick a purple or "invisible" purple zipper to mostly hide it without the work of making a flap.  Depends on the look you want.

Shockingly, I actually found a deep purple "antique brass" zipper in the right size on amazon. Freaking amazing. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Sounds like a Christmas Miracle (A few days late...) :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Week 1:

• Working out: yup
  • Languages: yup 
  • Learning: signed up for Kindle unlimited, went nuts on their Russian section. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish scalemail for Valkyrie (cosplay sketch) - in process.
    • Make vest for Taboo - the base part, at least. Done. 
    • Sort out the gentleman's lighting harness for Backlash's whips. Not yet. 
  • Hygge: yes, especially Wednesday when the battery died and I had to jump my car in active snow. Whee. Kept a decent attitude. 
  • Day's end outlook: yup. 

Was a great weather weekend, in the 60s and sunny. We opened up the windows to air out the house and finally closed in the smoking area under the back porch. It's not air/ watertight, but it gives the gentleman somewhere out of the wind and precipitation to smoke. I hung a fliplight on the inside and put down spare eva foam mats to make it a little more comfy. Wish I had the spare funds to put up an industrial sized vent, 'cause he tends to fill it with smoke and then bring it all inside when he comes back in (right by the treadmill - tactical fail there), but life is about compromise, eh? 

xPRkPIh.jpg

Didn't get as much time as I wanted to work on it, but I got more of the scalemail done. I'm going to try making it over the shoulders, at least, and see how I can close it in the back later, depending on the wing situation. I think it hangs much more nicely like this, and if I just do chainmail over the shoulders, without scale, it should be easier to attach the pauldrons, later. 

81r4oOz.jpg

There's still a fair bit of work to be done, but it's turning out well. The pants and undershirt came in for the Taboo cosplay, and they are nowhere near the same color, but they fit, soo..... I'll probably try overdying them at some point. I also ordered scrap leather to make the armor on the vest, the spine, and the tail for Taboo, and I'm definitely looking forward to that. 

• Like 7

On 1/13/2020 at 1:09 AM, Manarelle said:
  • Hygge: yes, especially Wednesday when the battery died and I had to jump my car in active snow. Whee. Kept a decent attitude.

I feel like that deserves some applause :D

• Like 3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Week 2:

• Working out: mostly. 
  • Languages: mostly. 
  • Learning: Picked up read many many comic books and started a new "serious" book. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish scalemail for Valkyrie (cosplay sketch) - in process.
    • Make vest for Taboo - the base part, at least. Done. 
    • Sort out the gentleman's lighting harness for Backlash's whips. Not yet. 
  • Hygge: not really, if I'm honest. 
  • Day's end outlook: mostly. 

Was kind of a meh week. Did Russian homework, then class was cancelled. Did some cleaning and baking, but overall it was just a "passing the time, waiting for [next anticipated thing] to happen" week. Working out and languages took a hit because I went in and got my second eye lasered on Friday. The first eye was super fast - I had a friend drop me off early (because she's chronically late so I told her it was super early and that was the one time she was "on time"), and I was in and out in 15 minutes. So this time I told her the right time, as she was surprisingly early. Unfortunately, when we got there, the previous patient had been late, so I was delayed getting paperwork started. I got brought back to get my eyes numbed about 15 minutes after my appointment was supposed to start and then... waited.... and waited... and after about 10 minutes (and the numbness starting to wear off), I hear, "can we just skip ahead to the patient who's only getting one eye done?" Yes, please, let's do that. They re-numb me, bring me to the laser room and get me positioned.... and the machine decides it needs to re-calibrate. Which don't get me wrong, yay re-calibration, but it meant another 10 minutes getting me out of it, re-calibrating, everyone standing around, and then getting me back in place and re-RE-numbing me. By which time, my eye was like "haha, I'm on to you, it won't work this time!" so I got to once again have a medical procedure done with minimal anesthesia. This seems to be a recurring theme. Thankfully, this eye had a much lower prescription, so it wasn't too long, but still. Not fun. And my poor friend is waiting for me, probably wondering wtf happened to "15 minutes in and out." 

Regardless, it's done. Spent Friday afternoon and most of the weekend just healing, not looking at much, and keeping my eye closed as much as possible, so not a lot of progress on my goals. I did get the back of the scalemail started, and I'll be working on connecting the front and back next:

sMMqd2o.jpg uZKl2p5.jpg

I also got all the materials to keep working on/ finish up the Taboo vest. I decided against dyeing the pants or testing the contact cement over the weekend, because I can't imaging caustic fumes would help an eyeball heal much, but hopefully by the end of the week, I'll be healed up enough for all that. Feeling kind of lame, but at least I can get back to working out this week. 

• Like 5

Sorry that everyone else's time is causing you to delay yours. But I'm glad that you at least finished your week. Meh or not, you can proudly say that you did at least that!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

looks great! 

• Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Fantastic!

• Thanks 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

10 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

The vest looks great.  What's your plan for the tail?

Leather over eva foam and wire. It's going to be a fairly thin tail and I don't intend to make it move, just be bendable as needed. I'm hoping I can just glue the leather to the vest, but last night's quick testing didn't look promising. If I have to sew the first layer of leather on and then build out from there with glue, so be it. 

Have you tried Barges Cement?  I've used it to attach fabric to foam for strapping with no issues.

I also recommend using a heavy gauge wire to be sure it can support the weight in any position you want it.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Nice!

• Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

36 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Have you tried Barges Cement?  I've used it to attach fabric to foam for strapping with no issues.

I also recommend using a heavy gauge wire to be sure it can support the weight in any position you want it.

I tried Weldwood contact cement last night, and Locktite flexible adhesive. I think I got too much contact cement on the canvas and not enough on the leather (or maybe it just soaked into the leather?), but I didn't want to redo it or try Barge's because it was like 10 minutes before I needed to do cardio and the treadmill is in the craft room - filling the area with more fumes right before working out seemed like a bad idea (and it was 20° outside, so no open doors). I will test the Locktite tonight; if it doesn't work, I'll test more outside tomorrow. 

I ended up getting 12 gauge wire, because the options at the store were 12 or 18, and the 18 was a definite no go. I'll play around with it once I figure out how long I want to make the tail and see if I need to double up or not. 

Actually, I'd love some experienced insight here... I was thinking I'd carve sections of EVA foam, maybe 1" in diameter, then thread it onto the wire and glue/wrap the leather around each piece, with extra leather being the spikey bits (top left picture here). Does that... idk... sound like it would work? I'm hoping the eva and leather would be flexible enough to move with the tail, where worbla would be too rigid. 

As long as you don't glue the foam to the wire, that should work fine.  You just want to have enough room that the core and the outside can shift relative to each other when you curve the tail in different directions.  The other options (what I've been using for Nightcrawler) is to make the outer sleeve of the tail out of leather or fabric, put the wire down the middle and stuff the rest with some type of pillow stuffing.  You'll want a thin dowel to make sure it gets all the way to the end.

You'll also want to keep in mind that most comics make tails a lot longer than is reasonable for a convention.  At 5'6", I've found that 3ft is about the right length.  I can pose it for pictures and still quickly bring it in close to get through doors or crowds.  I can also wrap it around my waist to keep it out of the way when I need my hands free.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

29 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

As long as you don't glue the foam to the wire, that should work fine.  You just want to have enough room that the core and the outside can shift relative to each other when you curve the tail in different directions. 

Very good to know. Maybe glue each eva foam section to the next foam section, rather than to the wire?

30 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

The other options (what I've been using for Nightcrawler) is to make the outer sleeve of the tail out of leather or fabric, put the wire down the middle and stuff the rest with some type of pillow stuffing.  You'll want a thin dowel to make sure it gets all the way to the end.

Mmmmm... not sure if that's quite what I'm after... the tail is really thin, more like a scorpion sting than a mammal tail like Nightcrawler. But also very good to know.

31 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

You'll also want to keep in mind that most comics make tails a lot longer than is reasonable for a convention.  At 5'6", I've found that 3ft is about the right length.  I can pose it for pictures and still quickly bring it in close to get through doors or crowds.  I can also wrap it around my waist to keep it out of the way when I need my hands free.

Oh yeah, a lot of the pictures show the tail creating a border for her and whoever else is in the picture - I can't imagine trying to wrangle that length around other people. I was wondering about the wrapping around the waist thing, good to know that works. 

Thank you for the insight! You are my cosplay guru, just fyi. :) 

• Like 3

I have only maybe 2% of possible XP with sewing but I enjoy reading about it :)

Also love the photo. Lookin good in purple :)

Wow. Having to redo anesthesia 3 times N THE EYE & you were thinking about your friend sounds incredibly bad ass (although I do feel for you). Good for giving yourself the right conditions to heal.

Gotta catch up on the rest still but good going :)

• Thanks 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Quick update: the loctite worked great, is available for pickup tomorrow at Lowes (yay!). Got a pair of purple jeggings to go with the vest - they arrived looking very eggplanty, not dark purple, so spent this evening dyeing them. Managed to get it done without turning anything ELSE purple (major win for me), and waiting for them to dry to see if the color is right. If it is, and they still fit, I'll colorfast seal them, wash them and the vest, and get to work on the leathery bits. 

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Wow. Having to redo anesthesia 3 times N THE EYE & you were thinking about your friend sounds incredibly bad ass (although I do feel for you). Good for giving yourself the right conditions to heal.

If I had a dollar for every time anesthesia hasn't worked on me... the first time, I think I was 9 or 10, at the dentist, with both the dentist and my mom yelling at me that the pain was all in my head and I was being dramatic. So I said heck with it, go ahead, fill a cavity, I'll cope. Would not say I have high tolerance for pain, but sheer bullheadedness and "get it the heck over with" gets me through. At least this time, it was just numbing eyedrops, and not needles (and I felt bad for the friend because she was feeling icky that day and I was keeping her away from her own healing). When I find dentists/ doctors that can figure out anesthesia, I cherish them and let them know it, repeatedly. I also tend to heal well because I recognize what I need to do to allow for healing, even if I gripe about it the whole time. :) Get it right the first time, don't have to wait for it to re-heal. 

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Also love the photo. Lookin good in purple :)

Haha, thanks. There's more purple coming.... :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Managed to get it done without turning anything ELSE purple (major win for me)

That's a major win for anyone.  I'll buy a new item before I try dye a lot of times, just because I hate dealing with the mess. :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

That's a major win for anyone.  I'll buy a new item before I try dye a lot of times, just because I hate dealing with the mess. :P

It's oddly difficult to find dark purple jeans/ sturdy leggings. Only reason I used the dye. 

The color is still a lighter purple than the vest and shirt, but an acceptable one. Yay.

• Like 2

Washed the vest today, always a stressful event, but it survived. Spent 2:45 making the pattern pieces for the leather bits. Should be able to get them sorted, cut out, and glued on this week, then I can start the spine and tail. I think it's coming together quite nicely, despite the cursed beginning. 

y41Bip6.jpg YggjaZ4.jpg

Week 3:

• Working out: yup, and making progress. 
  • Languages: yup. 
  • Learning: Read two comic TPBs, several Russian short stories, and started HP #1 again because it was nearby. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish scalemail for Valkyrie (cosplay sketch) - no progress. 
    • Make vest for Taboo - the base part, at least. Done. Working on symbiote bits. 
    • Sort out the gentleman's lighting harness for Backlash's whips. Done, and a couple other tweaks. 
  • Hygge: yes, intentionally. 
  • Day's end outlook: yes. 

Busy week. Got the wedding license, scheduled the JP, and signed the prenup. Making solid progress on the cosplay, and got some random little things that needed done on the gentleman's sorted. Added an exhaust fan to the smoking area out back which, while underpowered, still helps considerably. Mailed off various forms that need updated/ renewed, and downloaded all the tax documents that are available so far. The one eyeball is still being weird from Lasik, but it's healing faster than the first one did (probably because it had a minimal prescription to start with). Upped some weights at the gym, and still feeling good. Overall, pretty darn productive week. 

• Like 5

So far the brace looks like it's all coming together!

I hope your eye heals quickly, 

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Overall, pretty darn productive week. 

HUGE week!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1