Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2020)

Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2020)

Whether you have been trekking to Mordor for years or just looking to get started, you are welcome to join us at anytime.

All miles/kilometers count. You decide how you want to accumulate distance. This is your adventure!

(ex. my journey has included walking/steps, hiking, running, biking (distance/3), and swimming (distance*3))

Begin Your Journey Now!

SPREADSHEET

Open the spreadsheet, click on the 'Sign Up' tab at the bottom of the page, fill in all fields labeled in yellow, and begin tracking and logging your distance in the appropriate monthly tab.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - Bilbo Baggins

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet! Looking forward to a new year of going places.

Edited to add these links from the 2019 thread that I keep referring to:

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, TGP said:

the offical challenge is described here... https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/walking/  ("How to walk to Mordor")

there is conflicting mileage on the net-  NF uses this one...

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/tools.html#Location

and shire to rivendell is described here:

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

IN A YEAR!?!?! I mean, yeah, that would be awesome.... I'm aiming to get to Mordor by Oct, but totally wasn't accounting for the trek back home. Hmm. I'll pitch my name in, and will put some thought towards the question of accumulating kms beyond my intentional/tracked activity hours....

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

I'm on my third year of this, and I'm still working my way back to the Shire. I'll add my name to the sheet in the next day or so.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

55 minutes ago, Defining said:

IN A YEAR!?!?! I mean, yeah, that would be awesome....

I'm totally expecting it to take me much longer than a year. Averaging over 9 miles per day just isn't in the cards for me right now, especially since I'm only recording deliberate walking/running/hiking. I don't have a device that records all of my steps.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

2 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Help! I need a pedometer app that I can turn off location (so my battery isn't sucked dry) in order to begin this challenge.

Edit: I will just track what I do at the gym until I find an app to use.

Android or iPhone?

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

4 hours ago, Defining said:

IN A YEAR!?!?! I mean, yeah, that would be awesome.... I'm aiming to get to Mordor by Oct, but totally wasn't accounting for the trek back home. Hmm. I'll pitch my name in, and will put some thought towards the question of accumulating kms beyond my intentional/tracked activity hours....

I used ALL my steps on a particularly Busy year, with Lots and lots of hiking and STILL

it took my 1.5years to complete.

its a LONG voyage.  unless your a hobbit wandering in a big land (or maybe a thruhiker or something), I'd call it a multiyear challenge.

BTW, I really enjoyed it.  Good luck to all those that head down the path.  read a little Tolkien for inspiration; it really adds to the trip.

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

4 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Android. 

Stepcounter might be a good option then. According to the app description it was designed to save battery by not using GPS tracking. Note that I haven't tried it myself, but I keep seeing it recommended whenever pedometer apps are mentioned.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I'm on my third year of this, and I'm still working my way back to the Shire. I'll add my name to the sheet in the next day or so.

16 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I'm totally expecting it to take me much longer than a year. Averaging over 9 miles per day just isn't in the cards for me right now, especially since I'm only recording deliberate walking/running/hiking. I don't have a device that records all of my steps.

12 hours ago, TGP said:

I used ALL my steps on a particularly Busy year, with Lots and lots of hiking and STILL

it took my 1.5years to complete.

its a LONG voyage.  unless your a hobbit wandering in a big land (or maybe a thruhiker or something), I'd call it a multiyear challenge.

BTW, I really enjoyed it.  Good luck to all those that head down the path.  read a little Tolkien for inspiration; it really adds to the trip.

tumblr_o4toib9oba1uziqako1_250.gif.19c8dbc8a8e442fd4a250fa3d2054860.gif

• Like 2

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Stepcounter might be a good option then. According to the app description it was designed to save battery by not using GPS tracking. Note that I haven't tried it myself, but I keep seeing it recommended whenever pedometer apps are mentioned.

Working wonderfully so far. Thanks again for your recommendation.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

What the Heck!

I'm coming! I'm coming!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM6DDwwp59d7jyFycbyjQ

Wait. you guys are Going to Mordor!?  NO! who would want to go there! ?

I'm looking for some dwarves that ruined my house than headed back into the wild.  they want a burglar.  it doesn't quite work.  but who could resist being the major character of a JRR TOLKIEN tale?

it would be the biggest trip of a lifetime.

I can't miss it.  I'll sign up when I catch up. bye!

-----

Yep. I'm coming!  but having gone to mordor (and back) a little while ago- lets try a different journey.  I'll personally count my miles to the lonely mountain and back. 

this site will be used to desribe the journey

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/tools.html#Location

it says that Rivendell is 397miles from shire and the lonely mountain is 570miles from rivendell (give the Hobbit's probable path)

that means the journey is 967 miles one way and 1934 miles both ways.

thats still quite a distance given that I'm not hiking like I use to hike.

but all runs will count.

I'm planning a marathon next year and that will help me tick off the mileage.  

Only Deliberate walks and runs will count. No Steps!  maybe that will motivate me to be a little more active.  minor mileage in little walks at lunch and stuff.

Good luck to all that voyage down the road.  lets Begin!

descriptions of various milestones are:

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Hobbit_BE_to_Rivendell/hobbit_be_to_rivendell.html

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Lonely_Mountain/lonely_mountain.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the last week I've been doing 15 miles per day on my indoor recumbent bike, 5 in morning before work, 5 late afternoon after work/before dinner, and 5 miles in the evening. I work at a cemetery, and when it's nice out I walk for 20, so I had a handful of miles down prior to getting the bike before I really set a schedule for it. So far I'm down 207.50 miles since 12/20. Would love to make it a lot more fun with this! I signed up on the sheet, and saved a copy of the log. Is there anything else at this moment that I should do to participate, or just start getting those miles behind me? I know it said to start logging in the "appropriate monthly tab", is that a different link? Please kindly hold my hand and show me 'round, I'm new af. 😌

With 207.50 total down prior to sign up, should I include that in this epic quest, or do I begin at 0? Because 250.5 to Rivendell would be kinda rad lol.

UPDATE: I found it 😂 Such a noob. Logged and loaded!

Looking forward to seeing where I'm at this time next year! Thanks for the motivation and support y'all!

• Like 1

wow, what a great schedule of regular exercise yo have.

I'm jealous!

as for What to count, I'm thinking its all your personal preference.  this is all an imaginary narrative ... there's no medals or awards, only the satisfaction of knowing you walked a long, long ways when you count and add all the daily mileage.

welcome to the quest.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to join this challenge. Thank you for re-introducing it for 2020. Time to start this adventure!

giphy.gif

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

4 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I've been wanting to join this challenge. Thank you for re-introducing it for 2020. Time to start this adventure!

Same! I always seem to miss getting in on things like this at a point that makes sense. Since it appears I'm only a few days late this time, I'm in :) 

lotrwalking.gif.d9fcc0b60352d500f92244fca51b64cc.gif

• Like 2

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth { 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |

14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 | 30 | 31 | 32 ]

[ Current: Metamorphosis ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Adding in now. Hopefully this will help with the movement on my off days goal!

Edited: I just calculated how many miles/ day to reach Mordor and back in a year....... 9.3..... per day...... for 365 days.......

giphy.gif

Looking forward to using this gif in December!

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 2

NF Character

Current Challenge

Intro PostBattle Log

"Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1