Athaclena slides into the new year.....

Athaclena

Hi - Athaclena here. You can read my intro below. But long story short - been here a long time, traveling IT Consultant trying to "get it together", trying to FINALLY execute a move from metro Atlanta to Chattanooga area, struggle eating right and trying to find time to workout.

So - somehow it is now 2020. Holy heck how did THAT happen?!?!?!

My goals this challenge are:

1) Eat more veggies &  fewer carbs

2) Plan meals at home more

3) When I travel - STOP defaulting to burger & fries
4) Continue to pack the house

So - we are making good progress on the move. RIGHT UP until 5 (yes 5) trees came down on our back deck a couple of weeks ago. I'm STILL waiting on insurance to figure out what they are\aren't going to cover - and I THINK I have someone to fix what needs fixing. I just need that DONE so we can continue down the path of moving....

We've made TREMENDOUS progress on purging stuff. Was overly confident of what we could get done over Thanksgiving week (and wasted some $$ there trying to implement a plan that really required help, which we ended up not having) - but that's over and done with. But progress is so sweet to see in the garage\basement.

We are having a DEVIL of a time finding a rental that suits what we need in Chattanooga - so I think we're going to have to go with PLAN B. Which is a nicer apartment and have some electric done at a friend's house to setup our side business (requires 220V for the equipment) out of his basement. Good thing he's a partner :)

I've gotten a couple of cash offers on our house - we're just not QUITE ready to pull that trigger yet as they require us to close w\in 60 days. So I'll be FOCUSING on packing up\purging my office and the rest of the living area over the next couple of weeks. Once we know what's up with insurance and make a final call on where we're going to "land" in Chattanooga, I'll do an "all call" for cash buyers and trigger the move.

• Like 6

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Sounds like some solid goals!

Good luck with all the moving hassle! 

• Like 2

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

7 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

You got this. Good luck with the move. How is the house coming?

Garage is about 3/4 done. Basement is about 3/4 done. Upstairs the big thing is going through my office.

I think there's enough room now that we can pack what can go in storage, set aside stuff for donation and pile up stuff for a final dumpster. My goal is to get to that point end of January and start packing what we'd move to an apartment\rental house.February work on getting everything into storage, find a place to move (or get friend's basement wired) and execute move in March - closing sale on hour house by last week of March.....

• Like 1

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

16 hours ago, Athaclena said:

Garage is about 3/4 done. Basement is about 3/4 done. Upstairs the big thing is going through my office.

You are making a ton of progress.

16 hours ago, Athaclena said:

I think there's enough room now that we can pack what can go in storage, set aside stuff for donation and pile up stuff for a final dumpster. My goal is to get to that point end of January and start packing what we'd move to an apartment\rental house.February work on getting everything into storage, find a place to move (or get friend's basement wired) and execute move in March - closing sale on hour house by last week of March.....

This sounds like a solid deadline. I guess the real question is, how much are you traveling in Jan? You can definitely do this. Good luck.

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This sounds like a solid deadline. I guess the real question is, how much are you traveling in Jan? You can definitely do this. Good luck.

So far - only one week.

But I'll tell you, what's going on right now in the world the last 24 hours - I'm thinking about seriously accelerating that. And that's as political as I intend to get......

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Also - for those that have followed me for a while - my travel in a couple of weeks (one week on site in beautiful Cleveland, OH) - will be my first trip since the first week of October. Which I'm fairly certain is the absolute LONGEST stretch between trips since I started this job 7 years ago. I'm maintaining Gold Status on Delta & Hilton - but lost Platinum\Diamond. But there's a lot of carry over points so I should hopefully maintain Gold - which is important. Sliding back to Silver (which I did a couple of years ago) SUCKS LOL.

But I suppose it beats:

Week 1: Atlanta -> Modesto, CA (via SFO) -> Atlanta
Week 2: Atlanta -> San Diego -> Atlanta
Week 3: Atlanta -> Modesto, CA (via Sacramento) -> Atlanta
Week 4: Atlanta -> Denver -> Atlanta -> London
Week 5: London -> Atlanta
Week 6: Atlanta -> Denver -> Atlanta

Before I finally had a week at home.....

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

So are you ready to start traveling again. Has being home so much made you a bit stir crazy, or is it something you have really enjoyed.

Yes, Yes and Yes LOL. I miss traveling but I'm sure the second I do I'll wish I was back home :)

Looks like I'm traveling the week AFTER next as well - but not a full week. It's the full weeks on site that are killers. I prefer the 2-3 days "on site". These are both special "we'll only work with Athaclena" things - or I wouldn't be the one doing it. My new job responsibilities aren't compatible with a heavy travel schedule. My employer is still trying to strike the balance of "send stuff to partners" and still have revenue targets for in-house projects. Also - we've had to take some stuff BACK from partners when the partners were dragging their feet on projects. That came to a head around the end of Q3 last year (which was a SLOW quarter for Services because everything had been pushed to partners) - so the mad scramble to close sales and bring stuff in-house had us incredibly busy......

I just hope I'm home enough to get packed without a mad dash of just shoving stuff into boxes and can actually purge more stuff that doesn't need to be just boxed up and moved and sorted later (i.e. never).......

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Progress so far - I should probably post that :)
- Veggies have been consumed and fewer than normal (for me) carbs
- Only 1 "fast food" meal since beginning of challenge - yes we ordered in a couple of other times - but I ordered REAL food that involved veggies
- Done a BIT of packing and some cleaning

- Travel starts next Sunday .....

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Progress made today on "operation GTFO of Atlanta"

- Insurance Adjustor FINALLY showed up - I should have the results\estimate by Friday

- Contractor I lined up to fix my front entry way (which was commented upon by the insurance guy *sigh*) showed up and it is now REPAIRED

- I emailed the insurance guy to let him know that it was fixed - because I'm sure he's heard the "Getting someone out to fix anything over the holidays - PLUS all of the frickin' rain has been HARD" before and it not be true. But trust me, I've been trying for 2 MONTHS!

SO.... once I get the stuff from insurance - I will schedule fixing the back deck - including pressure wash & paint - and do the front entrance as well to "spiff it up" while I'm at it.

THEN I'll re-do Open Door and invite a couple of investors to look and get this place sold, schedule the closing, finalize where we're moving, finish packing and schedule movers.....

All with an obscenely busy Q1 at work......

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

In addition to OpenDoor - I engaged Zillow for a Cash Offer.

They offered $15k MORE than OpenDoor - and can set a closing up to 90 days later. Timer STARTS after they do an in home evaluation for repairs. Which I've scheduled for next Saturday afternoon.

Fingers crossed and cautiously optimistic that this will totally work out......

Plan to do a whirlwind floor cleaning this Saturday so all I may need before they show up next Saturday is a touch-up. Even if they come back with 30k in repairs - we're taking it LOL.

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Got insurance estimate.

They f'ing cut a check to the company that cut - and left - all of the trees. This payment includes line items for removal and disposal - neither of which they did. Just cut them down and left them. I asked specifically about that and not a peep. They better schedule coming back out to finish that or send me a check for the $5k they were paid so I can have it done. Or we can go the insurance fraud route......

One check - due to the type of damage - is ALSO made out to our Lien Holder. Which means I get to send info with a SIGNED check to them so they can review, endorse it and send it back so I can cash it. Who comes up with this stuff? At least the damage is less than their cut off for requiring re-inspection. Because I'm seriously going to just get the repair estimate from Zillow and sell this sucker as is. As far as I'm concerned I just bought myself another $X amount of leeway in the price and will take that $$ and RUN.......

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Fingers crossed it all works out. And I would offer to smack the tree company, but that doesn't help from here. Hopefully it works out easily (maybe).
It's going to work out with either them coming back... Soon... Or someone cutting me a check. I WILL raise holy hell...

Traveling today so Shrimp Tacos at my favorite ATL Airport spot. And salad/snack at the Sky Club...

8f9585a61f8e7acad941475021ad8830.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Back from what felt like a looooong work trip. It's not often I leave Sunday afternoon and return Friday night.....

I ate 2 burgers this week. One was a bison burger (and smaller than your "normal" American "bar" burger). The other - I was STARVING and nothing on the menu appealed to me. Other than THAT though - I ate a lot of sushi and lots of veggies - even heading through airports as there were definitely better choices than "typical" fast food.

Things went well with the client. I'm just exhausted. And next week looks very busy as I'm heading out again. This time heading out Monday afternoon and coming back Thursday night - so not nearly as long of a trip.....

My airport hiking today did definitely tell me I have slacked the last month or so on my walking. So I need to try to get back to that - while still packing up the house......

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Also.... something happened last week to boost my confidence a bit....

One day last week when I was waiting on the shuttle driver at my hotel, I had this conversation at the front desk....

Hotel Front Desk: So.... what do you do?

Me: Short answer - I'm in IT

HFD: I knew it! Do you watch Criminal Minds?

Me: Absolutely!

HFD: So.... you know who Garcia is?

Me: *big grin* Absolutely! She's pretty much my style icon. I call my wardrobe "Garcia light"

HFD: Awesome! Because you remind me of her!

Totally - most awesome morning.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

On 1/18/2020 at 7:33 AM, Athaclena said:

Me: *big grin* Absolutely! She's pretty much my style icon. I call my wardrobe "Garcia light"

That's so awesome! I love thinking how my favorite characters dress and try to model after them, but I'm never successful, congratulations on that! I always wanted to dress like HG Wells on Warehouse 13, it's still in my mind... someday I'll get there!

• Like 2

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

On 1/18/2020 at 9:33 AM, Athaclena said:

Also.... something happened last week to boost my confidence a bit....

One day last week when I was waiting on the shuttle driver at my hotel, I had this conversation at the front desk....

Hotel Front Desk: So.... what do you do?

Me: Short answer - I'm in IT

HFD: I knew it! Do you watch Criminal Minds?

Me: Absolutely!

HFD: So.... you know who Garcia is?

HFD: Awesome! Because you remind me of her!

Totally - most awesome morning.

giphy.gif

This is awesome. I have always loved Garcia.

• Like 1

I am home, exhausted and ate NOT ONE SINGLE HAMBURGER THE ENTIRE WORK TRIP!!!!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

So yesterday pretty much sucked.

Tuesday Zillow lets me know the results are in with the walk through. Friday is the first chance I can get on the phone with them. Only to find out there's too much work to be done for them to proceed. Seriously - that could have been an email.

THEN - like 2 minutes after I hang up - my CC Processor emails me telling me that our company is "High Risk" - failed the 2 incoming payments (the first 2 mind you that I've been prodding the client to pay for the last 3 weeks) and closed my account. FML. I'm still trying to get them to tell me WHAT we do that is high risk in terms of accepting payments - other than the amount maybe. This is PROFESSIONAL SERVICES paid after the services have been rendered. I'm 99% more likely to have to pursue payment and sue than to have a charge reversed. So now looking for another payment processor (which I may have found) - and maybe have to have that client send me a check. Because like hell and I sending them my account info for an ACH. I still think that's like the stupidest thing ever.

So on to today - I had someone come by and quote some repairs (he was waiting on me to let him know if I'd sold the house or not - *sigh*). So he's going to do a lot of work and hopefully get a couple of big ticket items done (without costing me an arm and a leg). I'm hoping to get that plus maybe a couple of other items done for no more than what I got from insurance, plus some big cleaning of some items that were marked "need to be replaced" - that are frankly JUST FINE - just needs a good scrub. And then try again and also get some independent investors in to see where we REALLY are....

Just - ARGH! We can still conceivably move by end of March. It's just going to be a LOT more stressful in the meantime.....

• Sad 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Outlook a bit better today after a good night's sleep.

Had some back and forth conversations with a new payment processor and have now set that up and done a "test" run of a $5 charge. We'll see what tomorrow brings there and I'll ask the client to re-submit. Seriously - I'm trying to GIVE the processor $$ because folks don't want to send checks - and I don't want to give out Account # for ACH *headdesk*.

Something of note - been decreasing dairy consumption for a while now. Pretty much the only dairy I consume now is cheese (and butter). A friend turned me on to powdered coconut milk as a creamer - so the half and half (which was about all the dairy I was consuming) has been jettisoned. I'm going to finish up the powdered milk I was using for my travel protein packets then swap that out for powdered coconut milk as well.

I have to say, I've only had one actual migraine since I've made that switch - and that was caused by hormones + weather + stress. Also fewer "morning" headaches. In fact, now that I think about it, I had morning headaches last week traveling - when I was using the milk in my shakes. Dang - maybe I need to go ahead and make that switch now (and add the powder to my monthly Amazon deliveries).....

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Glad to hear the migraines are better, but I am sorry about the payment processor thing. Hopefully the dairy thing will work out and make things easier. Sometimes allergies to certain foods are not just swell up and die variety. Here is to hoping things go smoother for a bit.

Oh and great job on not having a burger while out on the last trip.

• Like 1