sylph is not an assassin/always an assassin

sylph

This is a more warrior-appropriate challenge (or maybe more Ranger-like, without the running...or Rebels? Who TF knows), but ya'll are my home, so here I am, hiding amongst the assassins again.

Without a bunch of wallowing or self-deprecating comments, the long and short of it is that I had to quit the aerial arts due to a dodgy shoulder. Spending an hour after each session with an ice bag wasn't my idea of a good time (yes, I did PT. no, it didn't really help. no, I'm not interested in further diagnosis or surgery, thanks). That and a few other things has resulted in me sitting on my ass for approximately 1.5-2 years. Energy is low, self-confidence is low, motivation is low. My life is better when I'm more active, so it's time to get back to that. For real this time.

So goals for this first challenge of 2020 are as follows...

Lift

I feel better when I feel stronger. Time to get back under the iron. I'm currently on a "twice a week, do what you feel like, something is better than nothing" kind of plan. That kind of worked for most of December, so I'm going to get on it with a bit more structure here in January. Twice a week, one upper one lower. Work hard, lift weights. Don't worry about what the weights are, just that they are suitable to produce a feeling of effort.

Steps

I am a sedentary person. My current daily goal is 5k steps per day which I don't get without some concerted effort. I have a 21 day streak as of yesterday for hitting this goal. I mean to keep that streak going throughout this challenge. I know this may not sound like much to some of you, but I have an office job, a not-walkable neighborhood, and not much reason to walk on the average day so 5k is a reachable number at this point.

Food

I need to eat more consciously. The cafeteria downstairs at work has some DELICIOUS double chocolate brownies. If (let's be real) WHEN I want one, think about why. Hungry? Alternate snack. Bored? Find some other task to fill my time/hands. Sad? Name it and figure out how to address it. Same goes for other less-nutritive snacks. No calorie counting at this point, just three squares (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) and a thoughtful approach to the rest.

That's it. We'll keep it straightforward and attainable this time around. Minimize the bullshit and the justifications/excuses. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

HELLO, FRIEND. HERE TO FOLLOW.

I know just how you feel - due to a persistent injury and chronic pain, I had to give up something I really love (dance) and learn to modify everything else I do like... a lot... because however much I like to pretend I'm indestructible, the fact is I'm walking around on two broken toes and have been for almost two years (and the surgery they keep trying to push on me is too expensive with my garbage HSA, takes too long to recover from, might not even permanently fix the issue, etc.). Sometimes, you just have to call a spade a spade and find a way to move past the things your body can't or won't do. 🙁

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

6 hours ago, Defining said:

Love it!

Thanks! Welcome aboard!

2 hours ago, starsapart said:

HELLO, FRIEND. HERE TO FOLLOW.

I know just how you feel - due to a persistent injury and chronic pain, I had to give up something I really love (dance) and learn to modify everything else I do like... a lot... because however much I like to pretend I'm indestructible, the fact is I'm walking around on two broken toes and have been for almost two years (and the surgery they keep trying to push on me is too expensive with my garbage HSA, takes too long to recover from, might not even permanently fix the issue, etc.). Sometimes, you just have to call a spade a spade and find a way to move past the things your body can't or won't do. 🙁

Hallooo my dear. I was quite happy to see you back in this place. :)

Yep. That's where I'm at. I was a heavy iron gym rat before circus and quite enjoyed it, so we'll see if I can get back to something like that again. Much easier to keep my shoulder in an advantageous position when I'm not dangling 20 feet in the air.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

This sounds really smart, small steps! you'll do amazing :)

Do what you feel like approach really helps me be more consistent and build things up after slower periods. 

Thanks for your support. :) Happy to have you here.

• Like 3

Got all my steps yesterday, plus some. (wound up at 7.9k, which is decent--mostly because I had some meetings in far flung places that ended up with me parking and walking several times throughout the day)

Got home and got a leg workout in:

• Bodyweight Walking Lunges
  • Barbell Squats
  • Bodyweight Back Hyperextensions
  • Romanian Deadlifts
  • Bodyweight Calf Raises

Showered, had some leftover lasagna (made by hubs earlier this week--so good!), and a square of chocolate leftover from Christmas. I ate it purposefully because I wanted it, not because I was bored, sad or otherwise.

Binged a couple more episodes of The Expanse with hubs while working on a pair of socks for myself and got to bed at a mostly reasonable hour. (My sleep duration/quality will likely be a future challenge goal, again)

• Like 3

Strong assassins always welcome, duhhhh. You're just fighting our ancient enemy, Gravity, in a different way. :P 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

14 hours ago, sylph said:

Hallooo my dear. I was quite happy to see you back in this place. :)

Yep. That's where I'm at. I was a heavy iron gym rat before circus and quite enjoyed it, so we'll see if I can get back to something like that again. Much easier to keep my shoulder in an advantageous position when I'm not dangling 20 feet in the air.

I get it, totally. Adjust, adjust, adjust. I hope you find a thing that makes you feel good, physically and mentally.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

47 minutes ago, raptron said:

Strong assassins always welcome, duhhhh. You're just fighting our ancient enemy, Gravity, in a different way. :P 

I'm not at Raptron-levels of swole, but am appreciating getting back under the bar on a semi-regular basis :)

7 minutes ago, starsapart said:

I get it, totally. Adjust, adjust, adjust. I hope you find a thing that makes you feel good, physically and mentally.

So far so good. The biggest demon so far is 'Used-to' as in "I used to be able to squat twice this weight" :P

6 hours ago, sylph said:

So far so good. The biggest demon so far is 'Used-to' as in "I used to be able to squat twice this weight" :P

Yesterday, I was benching 65 and breaking a sweat and boy, did the used-to demon come to mock me.

You'll squat thrice your current working weight eventually!

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

On 1/3/2020 at 2:22 AM, sylph said:

I had to quit the aerial arts due to a dodgy shoulder

Shoulders, why are you like that!?!?   It seems like that is the body part most likely to hold us Assassins back (mine has been wonky for more than a year, but I can still (usually) manage around it)

On 1/3/2020 at 2:22 AM, sylph said:

Time to get back under the iron

Lifting is good for you :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 1/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, starsapart said:

Yesterday, I was benching 65 and breaking a sweat and boy, did the used-to demon come to mock me.

You'll squat thrice your current working weight eventually!

It is an insidious one, to be sure.

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Shoulders, why are you like that!?!?   It seems like that is the body part most likely to hold us Assassins back (mine has been wonky for more than a year, but I can still (usually) manage around it)

Lifting is good for you :) 

Shoulders are a super complex joint, so I guess it's not terribly surprising that they bother so many of us.

I am always a fan of lifting heavy shit. Just wish the stuff I was currently capable of lifting was heavier.

15 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

Great sentence :D 
Following! 

Hi! Welcome aboard.

• Like 2
On 1/5/2020 at 8:40 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Because they're not made to withstand the stupid shit we put them through. 😜I don't particularly care for the term "functional movement", I don't even know what it means, but it certainly doesn't include circus arts.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, sylph said:

I'm not at Raptron-levels of swole, but am appreciating getting back under the bar on a semi-regular basis :)

To be fair, not many are! Just try not to let the demons take away your enjoyment. 🙂

Got all steps (plus some, generally) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Lazed around for most of the weekend (as much as you can when one of your cats is dealing with a bout of gastritis and is puking all over various and sundry surfaces of the house. On the plus side, she seems to be doing much better this morning). Started a play through of 'The Outer Worlds' which is so far fairly entertaining though a much slower pace compared to my recent game diet of FPS's.

Got a workout in yesterday afternoon -- upper body

• Barbell Bench
  • DB Rows
  • DB OHP
  • And one other exercise that I cannot for the life of me remember right now.

Foodwise, we polished off the rest of the lasagna (yum), had some reasonable meals otherwise and I ate slightly too much chocolate. Hub's sister gifted us a bunch of Ghirardelli squares for Christmas, and they are sooo good. At least my chocolate is relatively high quality, rather than some junk that wouldn't be quite worth it? TBH, I wasn't terribly mindful of this portion of my challenge this weekend, though I didn't go too crazy. A square after dinner and one later in the evening each day isn't HORRIBLE, but also is more than I'd like to have as a habit.

It snowed last evening, so I was convinced I'd have some shoveling to do this morning on top of yesterday's upper body workout, but apparently it warmed up enough overnight that everything has melted. Win--I hate shoveling, but I was half looking forward to getting a good chunk of my steps completed before even getting to work. Oh well.

Right now I'm hungry (or think that I am) so am drinking a bunch of water to determine if the actual problem is hydration-related. Perhaps it's some core DOMS from yesterdays benching...sometimes those feel similar to me.

I have a thing tomorrow evening, a doctor's appointment on Wednesday evening and (I think) a work happy hour on Thursday, so I may get in a lower body workout this evening in order not to miss it entirely this week. Ambitious thoughts at 10 am. We'll see if they continue once I get home from a grocery run after work.

• Like 4

Doing great so far! 

The used-to demon is really evil. I'll join the fight again when I start building back up after this pregnancy.. not looking forward to it. 

22 minutes ago, sylph said:

Right now I'm hungry (or think that I am) so am drinking a bunch of water to determine if the actual problem is hydration-related. Perhaps it's some core DOMS from yesterdays benching...sometimes those feel similar to me.

smart! I'll go do the same, thanks for the reminder. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Ooof, glad your kitty is feeling better -- that doesn't sound like a fun way to spend the weekend for either of you. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Doing great so far! 

The used-to demon is really evil. I'll join the fight again when I start building back up after this pregnancy.. not looking forward to it. 

smart! I'll go do the same, thanks for the reminder. 

It is an insidious enemy to be sure.

I was definitely hungry + DOMS. Water helped but didn't dampen it nearly as much as lunch did :)

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Ooof, glad your kitty is feeling better -- that doesn't sound like a fun way to spend the weekend for either of you. 

There was a lot of laundering of blankets and scrubbing of carpets this weekend (why don't they EVER puke on the tile or even the wood floor?) She was interested in her breakfast this morning though (and kept it down) so seems to be on the mend for sure.

• Like 3

Definitely did NOT workout yesterday. After grocery run, I just kind of...disintegrated on the couch for the evening. Got some good progress on the socks I'm knitting and watched/backseat drove while hubs played Jedi: Fallen Order.

I did get my steps in and ate relatively reasonably, though. 

My appointment tomorrow is earlier than I thought so I may have some time to get a workout in afterward.

• Like 3

Partial success is still success, I say! Eating reasonably is almost harder, I think.

I wore that kitty hood you made me ages ago the other day and thought of you and your knitting prowess. 😊

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

2 hours ago, sylph said:

Definitely did NOT workout yesterday. After grocery run, I just kind of...disintegrated on the couch for the evening. Got some good progress on the socks I'm knitting and watched/backseat drove while hubs played Jedi: Fallen Order.

Getting groceries can be weirdly exhausting.

2 hours ago, sylph said:

I did get my steps in and ate relatively reasonably, though. 

These are the big ones thoughhh! 

2 hours ago, sylph said:

My appointment tomorrow is earlier than I thought so I may have some time to get a workout in afterward.

🤞

Raptron, alot assassin