sylph is not an assassin/always an assassin

sylph

Scary, but SO EXCITING! :) 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, raptron said:

Scary, but SO EXCITING! :) 

On 1/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Scary but EXCITING!!!! Like raptron said. Super psyched for you!

Yep! Super excited!

So, all of my goals have mostly gone down the toilet, aside from getting my daily steps (small victories, eh?).

In place of all of that, I've been figuring out what kind of job to try to go get. For the sake of vagueness, my apologies for the lack of specificity--I have a very clear, marketable skill set that I could shift to a different portion of my field with some growing pains but not too much trouble. Much more focused job search, relatively easy path forward.

If it helps, think about, like, a medical doctor who is a hospital administrator (or something) and decides to go see patients at the neighborhood doctors' office. The skills are there, but haven't really been that person's job for awhile.

Alternatively, I could take a ~45 degree turn and shift into related but not the same field. Trying to sell myself as a people or project manager with some excellent experience operationalizing programmatic changes (how's that for some buzz words?), developing staff and building relationships. Totally not an obvious path to folks that aren't familiar with my field or the skills generally present but still possible, if I can find the right position.

Think about our hospital administrator moving into, um, managing the people who coordinate volunteers for clinical trials (or something? analogies are hard...). This would be a much more diffuse job search and a lot more sifting through, but could be an interesting shift, could be less stressful (or at least with less dire consequences), etc. But finding those jobs that don't expect me to be a sales person or IT expert seems to be a bit difficult.

OR, we forgo any and all traditional employment, buy an old bus, renovate it, roam around the country and make a blog/youtube channel documenting our adventures. (this is not really on the table for consideration in any serious way, though it has come up)

*sigh* 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, sylph said:

OR, we forgo any and all traditional employment, buy an old bus, renovate it, roam around the country and make a blog/youtube channel documenting our adventures. (this is not really on the table for consideration in any serious way, though it has come up)

I dream about this sometimes. I also have this recurring fantasy where I quit everything and open a fancy tea shop and throw themed tea parties all day. It's nice to have a dream... 🙃

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

1 hour ago, sylph said:

10 minutes ago, starsapart said:

I dream about this sometimes. I also have this recurring fantasy where I quit everything and open a fancy tea shop and throw themed tea parties all day. It's nice to have a dream... 🙃

Both of these ideas sound wonderful.

• Like 2

Oh hey, I worked out yesterday AND got all my steps. I am eagerly awaiting the post-squat DOMS.

Food is something of a disaster and tracking cals has gone out the window, but I'll take the small wins. (On the plus side, all of the baked goods and candy that we accumulated over the holidays is now OFFICIALLY gone...aside from the Ferrero Rocher thingies that I don't like and so won't be tempted by)

Meeting on Friday with boss to determine some exit-plan/transition things. Then a phone call with a recruiter on Friday afternoon to set up some travel for an onsite interview in the next couple weeks.

Weekend will start some packing so it doesn't all come in a rush and maybe some other house-type projects.

3 hours ago, sylph said:

Oh hey, I worked out yesterday AND got all my steps. I am eagerly awaiting the post-squat DOMS.

Success!

3 hours ago, sylph said:

aside from the Ferrero Rocher thingies that I don't like and so won't be tempted by

Pls send these my way, tyia 😋

3 hours ago, sylph said:

Then a phone call with a recruiter on Friday afternoon to set up some travel for an onsite interview in the next couple weeks.

That was so fast! Yay!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

1 hour ago, starsapart said:

Pls send these my way, tyia 😋

That was so fast! Yay!

Hubs likes them, I think, so they will likely get eaten :)

The part of my field that is like a doctor being a family doctor is in a pretty good market for job hunters right now--this would be for a position like that. Significant pay cut, but that's not our first priority at the moment. The biggest concern would be work/life balance and being able to leave work at work. (not to mention dusting off my rusty-in-that-area skills)

1 minute ago, sylph said:

The part of my field that is like a doctor being a family doctor is in a pretty good market for job hunters right now--this would be for a position like that. Significant pay cut, but that's not our first priority at the moment. The biggest concern would be work/life balance and being able to leave work at work. (not to mention dusting off my rusty-in-that-area skills)

This sounds like a great lead, then! Good job!

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

On 1/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, sylph said:

And the scariest. I'm slightly terrified, in the best way possible.

Ohh, yes! So glad for you guys :)

On 1/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, sylph said:

I also occasionally dream about this scenario but then I remember that I hate being in a video, hehe. It's good to dream though. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:40 PM, sylph said:

The biggest concern would be work/life balance and being able to leave work at work.

So very valuable! hope this opportunity works out then :) 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 1/29/2020 at 3:42 PM, starsapart said:

This sounds like a great lead, then! Good job!

Fingers crossed that they shake out to be good people in reality.

21 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I also occasionally dream about this scenario but then I remember that I hate being in a video, hehe. It's good to dream though. 

Heh... if I was the one SHOOTING the videos I would never actually be in them...

• Haha 1

Steps were gotten yesterday (I was ~100 short as I was getting ready for bed, so paced around while brushing my teeth. Heh. Nothing like leaving it for the end.

Food is still all over the place, but hubs made 'fried rice' yesterday in the rice cooker so an actual meal was had. ❤️

Second work out of the week is on the docket for tonight. Upper body. Woo.

Before I get home I need to get my car washed (covered in wintry salt mess) and pick up the dry cleaning. And go to the ATM. And get gas for said car.

Then it's the weekend!

• Like 1
On 2/5/2020 at 12:15 PM, KB Girl said:

Well, if you ended up shovelling the driveway maybe that can count as compensation for those few missed steps :P

heh, possibly. Those 45 mins of 'extra vigorous steps' could kind of count for extra in some way shape or form.

I'm still not challenging very well--some plans are up in the air again (still?) making it difficult to focus on the last couple days of challenge.

I had a giant cookie with my lunch because I really wanted it and don't regret it at all. 3+ hours later and I am not hungry in the slightest so perhaps a small snack instead of dinner.

It's been snowing (not much accumulation, but consistent flurrying) for the past 16 hours or so. I'll likely be parking my car at the bottom of our driveway for the second night in a row in order to ensure I can get to work tomorrow. I do want to get in a workout tonight, and have already reached my step goal for the day, so that's something.

To me, this sounds like you're still collecting small-but-significant wins in a time of upheaval. Keep at it!

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Got a leg workout in last night:

DB Walking Lunges

BB Squats

Back Hypers

RDLs

Calf Raises

Dinner was actual dinner (because hubs made lasagna and leg workouts are calorie consuming). Wound up going to bed on the early side, also due to said leg workout.

It snowed a good portion of the night and is still flurrying. Once I get home this evening, provided it isn't too dark, I'll get out with hubs and shovel the driveway so I can park my car *in* the garage for the weekend.

17 hours ago, starsapart said:

To me, this sounds like you're still collecting small-but-significant wins in a time of upheaval. Keep at it!

24 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I dunno, I see a lot of little wins and workouts!

Thanks, friends. I'm not keeping track of what I'm doing or not doing in any centralized way, so it feels like I should be doing more than I am. At the end of the challenge I'll have to go through and see what my actual performance on my goals was, as opposed to the vague guilt of not doing as much as I somehow feel like I should be.

Challenge Wrap-Up

Lift

Goal: 2 lifting workouts per week (10 total)

Actual: (not counting zero week workouts) 6 lifting workouts (one of these I noted in my fitbit app but apparently did not report here?) and 2 yoga sessions.

I'll still give myself a pass on this, given the life upheaval that's about to happen.

Steps

Goal: 5k steps per day (35 days)

Actual: 33 days. Once when I was sick and once when I just had a brain fart and it didn't even register until the next day. 

94% is a win in my book.

Food

Goal: Conscious attention to food

Actual: Mostly okay, until I quit my job and the world went a bit crazy. Haven't been too out there, but definitely not keeping things tightened up, either.

If I had to grade myself, I'd say this challenge was about a 'C.' I thought more about my eating, more of the time, but aside from a week or so in the middle, didn't change behaviors around it either.

May or may not be sorting out a challenge for this next time around, but will be here to support all of you as much as I am able.

• Like 1

Woohoo! Like I've been saying all along, it seemed to me like you were doing great! Way to navigate the upheaval. Hope to see you around on the forums for the anniversary challenge, even if your goals are like... "pack all my stuff" and maybe "eat when hungry."

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

7 hours ago, starsapart said:

Woohoo! Like I've been saying all along, it seemed to me like you were doing great! Way to navigate the upheaval. Hope to see you around on the forums for the anniversary challenge, even if your goals are like... "pack all my stuff" and maybe "eat when hungry."

Oh right--- anniversary stuff...

Hmm... maybe I'll take zero week to retreat into real life and see whether I can swing a challenge once we get a bit closer.

• Like 1