Elennare has 2020 Vision

Elennare

The interview went...ok. The manager had a really thick accent and was in a place with lots of background noise so I had a hard time understanding him and kept having to ask him to repeat things or say "are you asking X?" which made for a rather awkward conversation. The position is apparently a bit different than the recruiter described it, but it still sounds really cool. I think they are looking for someone with more experience working on multiple parts of the plane than I have, but we'll see. I did an ok job communicating that I am excited about the challenge and opportunity, and I like problem solving, so hopefully I didn't convince them I'm not the right person to hire. Next step is for them to have an internal discussion and if they decide I might be what they're looking for, they'll call me for an in-person interview. He did ask me how quickly I could start if they decided to hire me, at the end of the conversation, so I guess not a lost cause yet. And of course, after I got off the phone I thought of several more things I should have said that would have made me look like a better candidate. I'm happy I had the presence of mind to add a few things like that when I wasn't directly asked, so not the worst interview ever.

And then I got to stay at work late, so not exercising tonight. Stuck with my diet still despite all the crazy, though!

• Like 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Sounds like the interview went pretty well.  Fingers crossed that they like you enough to move forward :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Yesterday was not a great day. I didn't get up in time to go to practice. I got woken up nice and early by noisy little boys, and couldn't really get back to sleep. So, I was tired and grumpy all day.

Made the mistake of taking the boys to the roller rink when they kind of didn't want to go. They were all tired and grumpy, too. And then there were 6 (!) birthday parties, so the rink was insanely crowded. We got half an hour of skating in with all that. :(

I did manage to stick with my diet, and got some exercise in. Little short on sleep.

Husband won his painting contest, though! The game store had a contest to see how far you could get in 6 hours starting from a completely unassembled model.

Today, all the exhaustion caught up with me. I slept almost until noon. And then took a couple hour nap in the middle of the afternoon. And still kind of feel tired. So I'm going to be going to bed early today. Guess I'm definitely checking off the recovery thing today!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 1:08 AM, Elennare said:

He did ask me how quickly I could start if they decided to hire me, at the end of the conversation, so I guess not a lost cause yet. And of course, after I got off the phone I thought of several more things I should have said that would have made me look like a better candidate. I'm happy I had the presence of mind to add a few things like that when I wasn't directly asked, so not the worst interview ever.

Boo too poor phone connection, but that definitely does not sound like a bad interview. FWIW, I have never had an interview that I didn't think of better things to say afterwards; it's human nature, I think. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

15 hours ago, Elennare said:

I did manage to stick with my diet, and got some exercise in. Little short on sleep.

Husband won his painting contest, though! The game store had a contest to see how far you could get in 6 hours starting from a completely unassembled model.

Today, all the exhaustion caught up with me. I slept almost until noon. And then took a couple hour nap in the middle of the afternoon. And still kind of feel tired. So I'm going to be going to bed early today. Guess I'm definitely checking off the recovery thing today!

Grats to you for sticking to your goals, grats to husband for the contest win, and VERY yay for taking care of you and getting more sleep when you've been deprived. Hope you're feeling more rested today. 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Boo too poor phone connection, but that definitely does not sound like a bad interview. FWIW, I have never had an interview that I didn't think of better things to say afterwards; it's human nature, I think. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Grats to you for sticking to your goals, grats to husband for the contest win, and VERY yay for taking care of you and getting more sleep when you've been deprived. Hope you're feeling more rested today. 

Thanks!  I'm very impatiently waiting to hear back, and hoping they'll let me know if they don't decide to continue with me as a candidate rather than just me never hearing back.

I am more rested today, but it also appears that in addition to just having the exhaustion catch up with me, I am sick.  And so is Husband, and maybe Little One.  We've got some sort of stomach bug.  Not throwing up, and not diarrhea, but a very unsettled stomach and a headache.  Yuck.  Not going to be going to practice tonight, unfortunately.  *sigh*  Can we please get healthy?  This is starting to get ridiculous...

• Sad 2

Diet is going well, though I need more veggies and protein. Been having too many smoothie bowls and paleo hot pockets as "we're too tired to cook and all the meat's frozen anyway" meals. Which also says how sticking to the meal plan is going. But I'm still doing the thing! Build the habit, then fix it up, I guess.

Sleep has been pretty good. I could probably stand to get a bit more, but it's definitely an improvement over where it was. And when it is short, it hasn't been by as much.

I did not exercise last night. A combination of wanting to take it easy a bit longer and we just had other stuff going on. But I went to practice tonight! It was great, up until about 15 minutes before the end. We worked on plow stops a lot. My quest for a decent plow stop took a big jump forward! I've been using my outside edges instead of my inside edges. So much better. I don't know if someone at some point suggested I try it that way or I never had it explained in a way that made me realize I was doing it wrong, or if I was doing it that way because I wasn't strong enough to do it the right way and I could get more leverage to compensate the way I was doing it, but that's the way I've been (trying to) plow stop. I didn't figure out what was wrong and how to fix it until the end of when we were working on them, so I didn't get much time to practice the right way, but I suspect a big improvement is in my near future. I've known what was wrong for a while, but didn't know how to ask how to fix it, but for some reason I figured it out tonight and the coach was able to get me straightened out real quick.

What happened at the end of practice to make it not good? Apparently I'm not quite over the stomach bug and I had reached the limit of what I could do tonight. Had to run to the bathroom suddenly in the middle of a drill. And then sit out the rest of practice. The last thing didn't look too hard, so I gave it a try, but my body said nope! Oh well. It was still really nice to be back at practice. I'm going to be nice and sore tomorrow, just in time for sword class!

And now I'm going to sleep, so I can keep getting enough rest!

• Like 2

Blarg. Today is not a good mental health day. I hate my hormones. Got stuck at work late, so I didn't get to go to sword class, but at least Husband did.

Killed my diet for breakfast and lunch. Lots of veggies and protein. Dinner was cashew milk ice cream. And since I wasn't that hungry before I started eating it, I thought that would be enough. But now that I've eaten half the pint, I'm still hungry. Not going to eat the entire thing, so I'm probably going to go make a hot pocket. And then maybe take a bath and go to bed. Or maybe just go to bed. *sigh*

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 2:15 AM, Elennare said:

Diet is going well, though I need more veggies and protein. Been having too many smoothie bowls and paleo hot pockets as "we're too tired to cook and all the meat's frozen anyway" meals. Which also says how sticking to the meal plan is going. But I'm still doing the thing! Build the habit, then fix it up, I guess.

Sleep has been pretty good. I could probably stand to get a bit more, but it's definitely an improvement over where it was. And when it is short, it hasn't been by as much.

10 hours ago, Elennare said:

Killed my diet for breakfast and lunch. Lots of veggies and protein.

Nice work here. As you say, build the habit, then tweak. And the fact that you stuck with it despite the hormone/ mental health day says a lot. 

On 1/16/2020 at 2:15 AM, Elennare said:

I've known what was wrong for a while, but didn't know how to ask how to fix it, but for some reason I figured it out tonight and the coach was able to get me straightened out real quick.

That's frustrating, when you know what's wrong but not how to even ask the question. Grats on getting that sorted, and (by inference) that you're not strong enough to do it the right way. 

Hope today is treating you better, between the stomach and the hormones. 

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

That's frustrating, when you know what's wrong but not how to even ask the question. Grats on getting that sorted, and (by inference) that you're not strong enough to do it the right way.

I'm definitely strong enough to do it now!  I think the change in plates actually had a lot to do with it.  Without going into tons of technical detail, I think the way my old plates moved made it WAY harder to do correctly, because when I got those was when I started really having issues.  Now that I have plates that are better suited to me, and I've correctly identified the problem, I think I'll be able to stop correctly.  And probably become a much better player, because plow stops (or some variation thereof) are used all over the place in derby!

I did not go to bed when I was planning to.  Because Husband and the boys came home (well, Husband dropped the boys off and ran to the store), so the rest of my night became getting the boys to bed, talking with Husband, discussing a news article with him and then sharing it with my mom and ending up having a text conversation with her about it and related things until 12:30 in the morning.  Oops.  I am super tired and full of "don't wanna!" today, but at least I feel less like I'm in a funk.

• Like 2

Well, no new job yet.  They got back to me today, saying they had decided to move forward with a different candidate.  Which is disappointing, but not surprising.  I could tell I didn't have the experience they wanted during the interview.  But, they were decent enough to not ghost me, which is great.  And they also said they liked my experience and I should apply for any other openings I thought I was qualified for, so that's probably a good sign.  Just need to find something that's a better fit, I guess.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elennare said:

I'm definitely strong enough to do it now! 

Oops, my bad on that... I meant that you ARE now strong enough to do it, but I could see how having the right equipment could definitely impact that as well. 

13 hours ago, Elennare said:

Well, no new job yet.  They got back to me today, saying they had decided to move forward with a different candidate.  Which is disappointing, but not surprising.  I could tell I didn't have the experience they wanted during the interview.  But, they were decent enough to not ghost me, which is great.  And they also said they liked my experience and I should apply for any other openings I thought I was qualified for, so that's probably a good sign.  Just need to find something that's a better fit, I guess.

Good that they got back to you, and obviously think you're a great potential employee. Sounds like they saved you a bit of impostor syndrome and feeling overwhelmed in that position. It's nice when they let you know, too, instead of ghosting. Means you can move on and keep looking. And hey, it's the weekend, good time to decompress and start the search anew.

I think I owe about half a week of updates.  I'm still managing to stick with the diet, but that's about the only thing that's going well at the moment.  I need to work harder at getting to bed on-time.  Still doing slightly better than I was, but need to get better.  Exercise has definitely been falling by the wayside.  And Saturday, practice got cancelled because the rink went and scheduled a hockey tournament on top of our time and didn't tell us.  One of the few times I'm glad I was running late, otherwise I would have already been 1/3 of the way there when the announcement was sent out and I wouldn't have seen it until I arrived.  I did do a little bit of stuff Saturday and Sunday, but barely enough to count.  Spend a decent chunk of time looking for jobs to apply to, but didn't find anything that was quite right.  Which sucks.  Also, who asks for GPA, and SAT and ACT scores for a senior-level position (min 7+ years experience)?!?  I ran into that on one of the jobs I was looking at.  They were required fields to apply, and no, there was no "I took those tests 20+ years ago and have no idea what my score was anymore" option.  Like, seriously?  I have almost 14 years of work history/experience.  How is my SAT or ACT score relevant at this point?  And I don't think I've ever seen that before, even for entry-level positions!  I guess just further proof I don't want to work at that company, even if they are doing really cool things.

• Like 2

Eep!  3.5 weeks until tryouts for the C-level team.  Guess it's time to find out how much I can improve my in-shape-ness in that amount of time, because I am not entirely sure I'll make it as I currently am...

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, Elennare said:

And I don't think I've ever seen that before, even for entry-level positions!  I guess just further proof I don't want to work at that company, even if they are doing really cool things.

Their loss.  
Sometimes i'm surprised what some companies ask even for entry-level/starter positions. They expected everyone to have super high level skills even when they just got out of school.

12 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

Their loss.  
Sometimes i'm surprised what some companies ask even for entry-level/starter positions. They expected everyone to have super high level skills even when they just got out of school.

Yeah.  I think maybe it's calmed down a bit, but I know when I started my job search, you couldn't even get an interview for almost all the posted entry-level positions unless you had 3-5 years experience!  I can understand asking for GPA/test scores (though the test scores are pushing it a bit, I think) for someone who's just out of college and doesn't have the work history, but for something posted as a "senior level" position where your ideal candidate has over a decade of work history?  Makes no sense.

Still doing ok with my diet.  Exercise hasn't happened for a bit. Sleep...well, that's gone off the rails this week.

Monday I got stuck at work until a little bit after 9pm, so didn't get to practice.  Got to bed a bit later than I wanted, and then ended up getting up multiple times during the night because Little One got sick and couldn't breathe.  Well, it might just be he did something to make his asthma flare up rather than a cold, but I don't actually know which it is.  Had a slow start to the day, plus he needed medicine and snuggles, so I ended up working from home because it had gotten late.  And then I ended up staying up late again, and once I did go to bed, I didn't fall asleep for a while, and then got woken up a couple times during the night, including getting up once to get him more medicine.  I was planning to be in the office by 8 so I could hear the company-wide address by our new CEO, but Little One didn't go to school today (but he's doing WAY better), so someone had to stay home while the other parent dropped Little Bug off.  I decided to stay home, because I thought I would be able to watch the speech from home, but it turns out my manager couldn't make his planned re-broadcast work, so I missed it (I'm sure there will be a recording to see later).  I feel like I got hit by a truck.  And yet, I'm still planning to go to practice tonight, because we're having a clinic by a really good skater (like, she's on one of the teams that's regularly in the top 10 in the world).  Assuming I'm done with work in time to go, because today is another busy day.

• Like 2

Did not go to practice tonight. Got stuck at work a little late (was leaving the office at the time I should have been leaving home), but would have gone anyway, except for the fact that I was feeling enough like crap that I didn't think I'd be safe skating. Didn't eat dinner, because I'm exhausted enough that my appetite is gone, so I'm just going to take a shower and go to bed. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning.

• Sad 2

Hope you feel better this am.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Only half dead today. Diet was good, but, surprise, surprise, got stuck at work late and missed sword class. I got to be senior engineer and ask newer guys to stay and help and then be the one to make the final decision about a thing because they weren't comfortable doing it, so that was kind of cool. Didn't make up for missing sword class, though. And then, because I am an idiot, I have stayed up a bit too late.

No, it's not because I'm an idiot, it's because I want some time where I'm conscious and not doing work things, and if I didn't stay up late I'd get almost none of that when I have to work late. So it definitely feeds into a nasty cycle. Especially when mental health says I need sleep and time doing not work things. Blarg.

On a completely random note, I cut (well, had Husband do it for me) about 8 inches off my hair last night. The ends had gotten so dry and icky it was time for a trim. It got way curlier than I thought it would and now it's about waist length instead of to the top of my hips like I expected. It feels kind of weird. And also, I ordered a sample of oVertone and am planning to dye the ends purple. I'm hoping it'll be kind of subtle, so I won't look crazy or unprofessional, but I have decided I've wanted purple hair for long enough that it's time to just go for it. If other lady I know can be an FAA rep type person with all sorts of crazy colors, I can have a bit of purple. I'm still debating if this is like a mini mid-life crisis or just deciding I'm (more) done with letting other people tell me how to live my life. Hopefully more of the latter. Maybe not the best timing, while I'm looking for a new job, but screw it. If my resume and knowledge and how I comport myself during an interview can't talk louder than a bit of purple in my hair, they don't deserve me. :P

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elennare said:

No, it's not because I'm an idiot, it's because I want some time where I'm conscious and not doing work things, and if I didn't stay up late I'd get almost none of that when I have to work late. So it definitely feeds into a nasty cycle. Especially when mental health says I need sleep and time doing not work things. Blarg.

That is a completely valid desire, although it does as you say create a nasty catch-22. 

Glad you're feeling better today, and definitely go for the purple. If you get an interview at a super conservative place, would you be able to put it in a bun or something to hide the ends? Mots places I've been also understand that you might not comply with their dress code *now* but will do so before you start, if you decide to take the job. As you say, if they can't work with that, then you probably don't want to be there and they definitely don't deserve you. 

• Like 1

I hope the Overtone works well! :D 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Friday...honestly, I can't remember what happened on Friday. Haven't exercised, because I've been fighting off the little boy sick. I have not succeeded in that. Managed to stick to my diet, at least. Going to get caught up on rest today, because I took a sick day. Really hoping that'll save me from part 2 of whatever illness I'm a couple days behind the boys with. They've had (what seems like) a relatively mild cold, though with a fair bit of coughing, and when it seemed like they were almost over that, it morphed into a fever and throwing up. Not a lot of throwing up, thankfully, but they've both done it. I currently have a rocking headache. And cramps, because that makes everything better. We did manage to fit in a trip to the circus on Saturday, in between everyone being really sick, so that was fun!

Turns out my lead is also out sick today. And one of the other guys who has the same position may still be out (jury duty), which leaves 1, maybe 2 depending on jury duty guy, who can approve work today. Which makes me wonder if we're not going to get a speech about scheduling our being sick so this doesn't happen. Because the manager has been all but explicitly saying that's what he wants us to do. Oh, sorry, guess I'm make sure to come in later this week when I'm throwing up, since I didn't schedule the time off. I'm sure I won't spread any germs that way, and will be able to produce quality (highly detailed, with many little things that must be right, that look very similar to the wrong things if you're not paying close attention) work just like nothing is wrong.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Elennare said:

Turns out my lead is also out sick today. And one of the other guys who has the same position may still be out (jury duty), which leaves 1, maybe 2 depending on jury duty guy, who can approve work today. Which makes me wonder if we're not going to get a speech about scheduling our being sick so this doesn't happen. Because the manager has been all but explicitly saying that's what he wants us to do. Oh, sorry, guess I'm make sure to come in later this week when I'm throwing up, since I didn't schedule the time off.

If he pushes you on this, 100% you should throw up on his desk. No mercy for jerks who think work is more important than health. 

Hope you and the little ones get to feeling better. Take care of you. /hugs

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

If he pushes you on this, 100% you should throw up on his desk. No mercy for jerks who think work is more important than health. 

Hope you and the little ones get to feeling better. Take care of you. /hugs

Thanks! We definitely have the flu. Seems to be mild, for the flu, but symptoms say that's what it is. Little One went back to school today and seems to be mostly fine. Little Bug stayed home again today, and send to be starting to get better. I am still quite sick, and took another day off work. I'm hoping to be able to work from home tomorrow, but we'll see how I'm feeling. Definitely couldn't have worked today.

Well, diet made it to today before I "screwed up."  I put that in quotes because it wasn't so much that I made a mistake as I mindfully chose to have ramen for dinner. Not like cup noodles, but real, good ramen. Because when you have the flu, have eaten pretty much nothing all day, and that actually sounds good, you listen to your semi-queasy stomach and get ramen.

So, I'm not giving up, and plan for this to be a one time thing, but I think overall, despite my best attempts, this challenge has turned into a flaming pile of wreckage due to lots of sick and overtime. Which leaves me at a complete loss of how to improve my health.

• Sad 1