Rookie Keeps Going Forward

Rookie

23 minutes ago, fitnessgurl said:

IMG_1424.JPG

FYI to those not from the U.S., Maybelline is a beauty product line.

While the pun fits Maybelline better, I feel the mane calls for a shampoo joke.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Still feeling meh. I have been maintaining my health percent. Today my lungs hurt a bit from all the coughing and I really could use some extra sleep but instead I am at work. My ear is also borderline starting to feel like something is trying to brew in there but I took a Tylenol and it seems to have helped for now. The drive was not fun at all because we got a bit of snow overnight  and we are in the freezing temps so people got in accidents and such. 

Yesterdays ride with Daisy was poop. We haven't had a poop ride in awhile. She was just having an off day or something. She was being very strong, fast and stubborn. Not quite listening. Playing tug of war with a 1200lb (give or take) animal is not fun. I really hope that she feels better/happier/more willing to work Thursday. We generally go through this every winter when the temperatures drop but I thought since it has been so mild and shes been so good lately that we could skip this whole thing... apparently not. 

Todays lunch is chili mixed with a lot of cauliflower.

• Like 6

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

The house has been extra disorganized feeling since the holidays and it bugs me... so that means it is time to make a list so that I can feel better at home plus I will add a few other things to it just so I don't forget. 

The aim will be to complete this by Sunday.

- Put wrapping supplies back

- Clear off living room table

- Delegate to roomie to clear off island and clean kitchen

- Clear off kitchen table (bonus)

- Sweep the main floor

- Do laundry and clean up clothes on ground in bedroom

- Sort sock cubby

- Clean shower (bonus)

- Clean Daisys girth

- Make lavender and peppermint bath bombs

Thoughts on food... 

I don't feel I eat bad enough or in excess all the time to be able to maintain my current weight but that is what the numbers tell me. My portions lately have been on the smaller side or rather smaller than I used to have but I am not seeing a consistent weight loss... if anything I am maintaining around 266-271lbs. I don't see myself being able to cut back much more without feeling hungry. I really am hoping that mixing in more veggies so they make up more of the portion helps. I watch what thinner people eat and they seem to eat around the same amounts if not more yet they remain on the slimmer side. So clearly my snack squirrel is a source of sabotage for me. It is just hard to believe that it is able to sabotage me this much. I understand the calories in/out and how many calories my body needs to lose weight and even how much of each macro I should strive for. I even know how my body loses weight better when I cut carbs. Just all those little mindless "oh I will just have this or that" or "we are out so I will splurge a bit" really add up I guess and it just still mind boggles me. It would be nice to just not think about food and make good food choices that fuel my body. In some of my reading the articles sometimes ask if you lose weight easily. I do not know if I lose weight easily but I do know I gain weight very easily. I seem to lose weight okay as long as I am super strict. I don't even know if my current changes of trying to not eat breakfast and adding more veggies are enough to get me to where I want to go but I won't know that for awhile and with some consistency. 

</food thoughts>

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

Chili is perfect in this kind of weather.

Sending hugs & well-wishes.

1 hour ago, J3NN said:

Keep up on your self care to make sure you can kick this thing onve and for all.

Chili sounds perfect on a day like that, hope it's great.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! :) I have been keeping hydrated and aside from that I am not really sure there is much I can do but hopefully time will make this pesky thing go away.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bdwilson said:

Late to the party, but I'm very glad you got over your cold and got to ride again :)

Hahaha 😢 I'm not 100% over it and I think I got a new thing or got round 2 of it. I just came home early because my throat was killing me and my body felt achy. 

1 hour ago, bdwilson said:

That sounds fantastic. What sort of things will it cover? Have they rescheduled it yet?

So I did it once before and it gives you a little work out to do each week and walking. Plus it asks you thoughtful questions about goals, weaknesses, strengths with your riding. It's usually focused around core and leg strength. 

They haven't rescheduled yet or given any updates. I can't remember if the lady who runs it is from Australia or New Zealand. If she's from Australia that could explain why. 

• Like 3

Yes, that snacking squirrel can really bite you. You could try intermittent fasting to see if that might help. Start off with something like no food, or at least no snacks after 6 or 8. Something like that. At first you find you will still feel hungry. Your body will eventually adjust to it. I do a lot of boredom eating. Or have. Very easy to have cravings vs actual hunger for things. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tateman said:

Yes, that snacking squirrel can really bite you. You could try intermittent fasting to see if that might help. Start off with something like no food, or at least no snacks after 6 or 8. Something like that. At first you find you will still feel hungry. Your body will eventually adjust to it. I do a lot of boredom eating. Or have. Very easy to have cravings vs actual hunger for things. 

I've been trying to not eat until 12 Tuesday-Thursday and sometimes Saturday and Sunday depending on how I feel. Since being sick I'm not super hungry as long as I get to work at a reasonable time and I get distracted at work. I could try the no eating after 6pm. It is something I've wanted to play around with a bit. 

===

So my equestrian fitness challenge thing is up as of a few hours ago! This one is only 10 days instead of 30. And it consists of physical and mental workouts and riding exercises! 

I was reflecting a bit on Daisy and my ride yesterday. When she is like the it shows me I still have a long way to go fitness wise but I do need to recognize that I was able to stay with her better... And I ended on my own note and not because I was frustrated and wanted to quit. I am wondering if she has something going on that made her act up that way... Maybe some ulcers or her joints. Or it could just be she didn't feel like working because it was colder and she was maybe sore. I hope tomorrow goes better though because I still am not 100% but I'm going to come up with a game plan for if she's not all there again.

• Like 7

There's a ridiculous amount of calories in snacks, usually around 500 - 600kcal per 100g (4-5 cookies?). Your portion size for your meals seem fine to me, but it's possible that you get more calories from a cookie here or a handful of nuts there than from your actual meals. Maybe write down all your snacks as an additional challenge goal? Another thing that's easy to overlook is the amount of butter/oil in your food, but I don't know how you're cooking. From the top of my head oil contains around 100kcal per tablespoon.

How long has your weight loss stalled for? My weight goes significantly up during my period, so if it's just a week or so, I wouldn't be too worried.

4 hours ago, Rookie said:

So my equestrian fitness challenge thing is up as of a few hours ago!

Nice! Are you feeling sore yet? :P I hope your ride with Daisy today will be better again, even though it's still cold and snowing and everything.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Waanie said:

There's a ridiculous amount of calories in snacks, usually around 500 - 600kcal per 100g (4-5 cookies?). Your portion size for your meals seem fine to me, but it's possible that you get more calories from a cookie here or a handful of nuts there than from your actual meals. Maybe write down all your snacks as an additional challenge goal? Another thing that's easy to overlook is the amount of butter/oil in your food, but I don't know how you're cooking. From the top of my head oil contains around 100kcal per tablespoon.

I agree. I am trying to think. Lately its more like a little cup of juice here, a little cup of juice there. 1 chocolate covered strawberry. Maybe some buttered popcorn split with BF. I will start writing down my snacks to get to the bottom of this. 

How long has your weight loss stalled for? My weight goes significantly up during my period, so if it's just a week or so, I wouldn't be too worried.

I don't think I can say its stalled when I haven't been consistent 😂

Nice! Are you feeling sore yet? :P I hope your ride with Daisy today will be better again, even though it's still cold and snowing and everything.

Haha I was already feeling sore from my Daisy ride Tuesday 😓 I didn't do the exercise portion yet if I am being 100% honest since I felt like poop and didn't see it came out until about 7pm. And I am not walking around in the dark and cold for 30 mins 😶 BUT it doesn't sound so bad aside from holding a low lunge and doing a 30 second plank. Those sound like torture but everything else sounds fine.

Thank you I hope it goes better today as well. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I agree. I am trying to think. Lately its more like a little cup of juice here, a little cup of juice there. 1 chocolate covered strawberry. Maybe some buttered popcorn split with BF. I will start writing down my snacks to get to the bottom of this. 

There is a very good reason that juice doesn't enter our house :P. At least for me, the act of writing down already limits how much I take. Could be that I'm just lazy though, and that I think that finding my notebook and writing down things is too much effort to justify the snack.

8 minutes ago, Rookie said:

And I am not walking around in the dark and cold for 30 mins 😶

That's a solid no indeed, especially if there's snow. Have fun with your exercises, and just adapt them to your level :).

• Like 3

So weighed myself today and I came in at 265.5lbs. I am happy with that. I was half expecting it to shoot back up once I started eating full meals again. 

Equestrian 10 day Challenge

Getting started (I will need to do some of these tonight if Daisy is cooperating)

- Up up down & down down up (Can you do 10 consecutive one of each in the saddle?)

- Half seat (How long can you hold your half seat in the walk? No momentum behind you, just holding your position)

- Half seat (How long can you hold your half seat at the trot?)

Day 1 - Mindset

What do you hear a lot when riding? Said differently, what is the over riding feeling or the sentence/theme that sums up a lot of your interactions with your horse? And, who is telling you this?

Last year I was told I need to get stronger and work on holding my body better and building a better core. During the autumn I started to hear how my lower leg was getting more solid and my body was better during my transitions however I was still too rigid in my upper body and I would fall forward during my auto leads. Now I am told how my confidence has grown and my body stays upright and still during my transitions and my leads. My position is solid and secure at the flat. I have seen this myself and been told by my trainer, friends and other people who ride at the barn.  I still need work over fences but its slowly coming together.

What 'sums up' your riding and what evidence do you have that this is true?

The two biggest themes that keep coming up for me are needing a stronger core and gaining some confidence in my riding. As my body gets stronger my confidence has been rising. The evidence is in how I have been handling myself while riding these past few months. My trainer even said its like I had an "a-ha" moment and I have been riding stronger and more confidently lately. I have been more present in my rides.

Day 1 - Move

Stretches for suppleness

- overhead stretches to left (x7)

- overhead stretches to right (x7)

- Low lunge - left leg behind (10 sec)

- Low lunge - right leg behind (10 sec)

- Touch your toes - right hand to left foot (x10)

- Touch your toes - left hand to right foot (x10)

- Clasp hands between your shoulder blades - left on top (10 sec)

- Clasp hands between your shoulder blades - right on top (10 sec)

Exercises for Strength

- Plank (30 sec)

- Knee to elbow (standing up - 10 each side)

- Standard squat (x15)

- Plank (30 sec)

- Knee to elbow (standing up - 10 each side)

- Standard squat (x15)

Walking for Stamina and Overall Fitness

- Active walking (30 min) record distance walked and time per km

Day 2 - Mindset

How we do one thing is usually how we do most things... I can bet that a lot of what you are doing in the saddle is actually stemming from habits you have developed in other areas of your life. Do you have a pattern? Do you know what you take with you every time you get into the saddle? You.  

Reflect on how you deal with progress or lack of progress in other areas of your life

- Work life and activities

- Your most important relationships

- Your other hobbies and passions

- Studies and learning

- How you react (or respond) to pressure

- How you react (or respond) to change

What do you do? What is your default mode?

I seem to have a few different defaults ... shutting down, getting grumpy/angry, feeling sorry for myself. If the task or scenario is something I feel I should be able to do but I find myself unable to do it then I feel sorry for myself (especially when relating to work or learning, losing weight). If I feel overwhelmed and have low confidence in the scenario I tend to shut down or get very grumpy and attitudy (home renos, parallel parking, etc).  These defaults definitely were coming into the saddle with me. One of my other hobbies is painting which I have some confidence in... when I work on a piece and I just can't seem to get it I might start to get a bit of self doubt but I have learnt I always get through it so I will actually just step away and try again later. I have faith I can do it. I would say that I am actually fairly good at adapting to change and for the most part I strive with pressure and really buckle down and get the job done. I would love this resiliency and just having faith in myself to be brought into the saddle with me instead as my default. This is something I have been working on addressing as I have been gaining confidence in my riding because I do not like my defaults so I am trying to change them. Before when I would be told I need to jump or I had to do a hard exercise that I just could not seem to get I would get grumpy, angry, feel sorry for myself and in the end just shut down. I get bad anxiety with jumping so when it wasn't going well I would compare myself to others ("they do it so effortlessly... they don't care when things don't go wrong. its no big deal to them") and I would start complaining to my instructor or giving her attitude. To combat this I would break the cycle. I would start singing loudly the oscar myer wiener song or just do something completely goofy like start exaggerating my 2-point with a super serious face over cavalettis (tiny jumps). Basically I would try to make my instructor laugh. She actually commented last lesson that there were no eye rolls, whining, grumpiness when she asked me to do jumping with a somewhat harder exercise (for me) and when Daisy got a little strong headed I actually rode and told her what I wanted instead of letting her just take over. 

Day 2 - Move

Stretches for suppleness

- quad stretch - left leg (10 sec)

- quad stretch - right leg (10 sec)

- Touch your toes - right hand to left foot (x10)

- Touch your toes - left hand to right foot (x10)

- Clasp hands between your shoulder blades - left on top (10 sec)

- Clasp hands between your shoulder blades - right on top (10 sec)

- Camel pose (10 sec)

Exercises for Strength

- Plank (30 sec)

- Donkey kicks - left leg (x10)

- Donkey kicks - right leg (x10)

- Standard squat (x15)

- Plank (30 sec)

- Side lift - left side (x10)

- Side lift - right side (x10)

- Standard squat (x15)

Walking for Stamina and Overall Fitness

- Active walking (30 min) record distance walked and time per km

I have to say I really like this format. I remember back when I did it before 3 years ago the walking was not a time it was a distance and they kept increasing the distance. First week they wanted you to walk 1km and I eventually got up to 3km and could not / did not want to fit that in. But instead of just doing less... I just didn't do any because that was who I was. I will try to do day 1 exercises today around lunch. 

Update: I did my stretches and exercise for day 1. I will walk Daisy around actively for 30 mins tonight either before or after we ride.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I would start singing loudly the oscar myer wiener song or just do something completely goofy

I love you.

You're doing a really good job with the Mindset stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

And I am not walking around in the dark and cold for 30 mins

Hey, I resemble that remark! You should have seen me out there in all my layers with my spiffy new reflective vest and headlamp flashlight. I was rockin' it let me tell you. 

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I will try to do day 1 exercises today around lunch. 

You got this! Hope you're feeling better today. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

3 minutes ago, J3NN said:

Hey, I resemble that remark! You should have seen me out there in all my layers with my spiffy new reflective vest and headlamp flashlight. I was rockin' it let me tell you. 

Wow that paints a picture in my head lol you are the epitome of cool in that get up. :P

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Breaking my fast today with my bowl of scramble. It includes sauteed onion, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and 3 eggs. 

20200109_121550.thumb.jpg.350d3f3e499c624bf097af8d49a16094.jpg

Looks yummy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

I realized that when I am working from home it is easy enough to do IF... at least right now. My usual routine on a WFH day has been to wake up just as my work day starts and go fill my Bubba of water then get started on work. Around 10-11 I would go make breakfast. With my routine being all over the place from being sick + holidays my hunger cues are all shifted around as well so I might as well use that to my advantage and try to make this my new eating schedule. I was able to wait until 12 today for lunch. So I think it is fair to say I could probably do Monday - Friday as IF days. Monday if I stop having my Starbucks in the morning... which maybe it is time to try to limit that even more. I have been doing great with only having 1 a week so I will think on that change and in the mean time commit to doing Tuesday - Friday IF from 12-8:30pm.  

I am not really sure how to track the fruit/veggie snack thing so I think I will give myself a little check every time I choose to have a veggie/fruit as a snack opposed to something else. There will be no goal really in regards to that one at the moment I will use it more as a visual for me.

Just now, Whisper said:

Looks yummy!

Yah not bad! Bit rough on the throat (because of the brussel sprouts) but nothing chewing and water can't fix. I am saving all the mushrooms to the end lol they are my favourite.

• Like 4

Oh and recipe sharing because sharing is caring. I am making my butter chicken and naan tonight. 

so my naan recipe is:
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2.5-3 cups flour divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil *
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt **
- 1 large egg

* or any oil. I generally use just vegetable oil 
** I have substituted with sour cream mixed with a bit of water and it turned out fine 

1. combine water, yeast and sugar in bowl and let that froth 
2. whisk in oil, yogurt and egg
3. in a seperate bowl combine 1cup flour and salt then add that to the wet ingredients. Continue adding 1/2 cup of flour until its not soupy anymore and you can put it on the counter to knead it. Honestly I have just dumped the full 2.5cups of flour in all at once and its been fine... 
4. put flour on the counter and knead the dough, adding in more flour when its sticky. says to knead at least 3 mins. It should be soft but not sticky and thats when you are done kneading
5. cover and let rise at least an hour
6. roll into a tube and cut it into 8 pieces
7. roll out first piece so its super thin then heat up oil in the pan. give your naan one more roll then add it to the pan (this will be referred to as pan naan). While the first side is cooking, roll out your next piece (counter naan). Keep an eye on your pan naan while rolling and flip it when its starting to bubble and the bubbles get golden. Give your counter naan another roll then put your pan naan onto a plate lined with a towel and cover it with the towel (this is where I brush with butter if I am doing that). Put your counter naan in the pan and repeat until you are done... oiling your pan inbetween as you need. I like to use spray oil for this. 

For garlic naan... I add minced garlic to butter and I brush it on when the piece is done. I have tried putting garlic powder in with the flour but this didn't quite work and I also learnt today that you do not want to put garlic in your dough until AFTER it rises because garlic apparently kills yeast and it won't rise if you do. I am going to try adding some garlic powder and minced garlic in my dough after it rises today :D I shall let you know how that goes.

Butter chicken recipe

Marinade (3hrs to overnight)

- 1/2 cup plain yogurt

- 1 tbsp lemon juice

- 1 tsp tumeric powder

- 2 tsp garam masala

- 1/2 tsp of chili powder or cayenne *

- 1 tsp cumin

- 1 tbsp ginger grated (I just used dehydrated)

- 2 cloves garlic crushed and minced

- skinless boneless chicken cut into small chunks (I used 5 chicken breasts but this could work with the equivalent amount of thighs as well)

Combine everything in a bowl and let it rest in the fridge 3hrs minimum.
* or in my case 1/2tsp of cayenne and 3/4 tsp of chili powder :D

Curry

- 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp vegetable oil **
- 2 cups tomato passata (or tomato puree i guess if you dont have passata)

- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream ***

- 2-3 tbsp sugar

- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

- 1 tbsp corn starch mixed in 1/2 cup cold water

1. Cook chicken in your butter + oil
2. When chicken is cooked add in your curry ingredient except the cornstarch water mixture and reduce

3. Add cornstarch mixture and simmer for a bit 

4. Give her a taste and add more things if its not up to your tastes... usually I add more cayenne and some salt or a bit more sugar.

** the vegetable oil will prevent the butter from burning! 

*** I totally forgot to buy this lol so I will probably just use plain yogurt or sour cream mixed with some milk 

• Like 8