Rookie Keeps Going Forward

Rookie

Butter chicken and naan; can I come over tonight?

• Haha 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Rookie said:

So my equestrian fitness challenge thing is up as of a few hours ago! This one is only 10 days instead of 30. And it consists of physical and mental workouts and riding exercises! 

Yay! That sounds great.

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

And I am not walking around in the dark and cold for 30 mins 😶

Yeah, that'd be a no from me, too :) 

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

Now I am told how my confidence has grown and my body stays upright and still during my transitions and my leads. My position is solid and secure at the flat. I have seen this myself and been told by my trainer, friends and other people who ride at the barn.  I still need work over fences but its slowly coming together.

Excellent reflections on your progress. This challenge sounds like it'll be great for mindset as well as exercise.

• Like 1

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | Current

7 minutes ago, bdwilson said:

Excellent reflections on your progress. This challenge sounds like it'll be great for mindset as well as exercise.

I agree! And one of the cool parts is they have a facebook group so everyone is able to share and give pointers and such. And they all are equestrians as well! :D

Waanie gave me the suggestion to use a rope for the clasp hands behind shoulder blades thing and I shared that and someone else was able to use that too! 

===

So BF is gonna be late coming home poo. I was all bummed out because either I was going to have to go to riding now and not get home until 8pm then miss out on butter chicken OR I would wait and possibly have to rush while at riding and everything would be dark and sad. BUT I just remembered I can just switch my riding days whenever I want now since I lease her haha so I think I will just ride on the weekend with the daylight ❤️ win win lol and maybe I will feel better by then too. Which means I need to get in my 30 min walk tonight. This is when I wish I had a treadmill. 

Though this could backfire because there's a special storm warning about freezing rains Friday night to Sunday morning. We shall see!

• Like 6

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 1/9/2020 at 2:38 PM, Rookie said:

I agree! And one of the cool parts is they have a facebook group so everyone is able to share and give pointers and such. And they all are equestrians as well! :D

Nice! It's fun when challenge groups work that well :)

On 1/9/2020 at 2:38 PM, Rookie said:

Though this could backfire because there's a special storm warning about freezing rains Friday night to Sunday morning. We shall see!

*holding out hope the freezing rain skipped you*

• Like 1

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | Current

On 1/10/2020 at 4:38 PM, Tateman said:

oh that butter chicken sounds good. I might have to make a keto version :)

So good! Easy enough to make it keto

5 hours ago, bdwilson said:

*holding out hope the freezing rain skipped you*

So far just a ton of rain! I didn't go riding though because I decided to go yesterday. 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, fitnessgurl said:

You're doing great! Keep it up!

Thanks friend ♥️

• Like 2

My list to do but Sunday was:

- Put wrapping supplies back [check]

- Clear off living room table

- Delegate to roomie to clear off island and clean kitchen [check - but somehow messy again]

- Clear off kitchen table (bonus) [check]

- Sweep the main floor

- Do laundry [check]

- clean up clothes on ground in bedroom

- Sort sock cubby

- Clean shower (bonus)

- Clean Daisys girth [check]

- Make lavender and peppermint bath bombs [check]

I'm going to preheat the oven and do my day 2 workout and maybe clean up my sock cubby now

Update: Did my day 2 workout and made dinner. Dinner was roasted chicken breast (seasoned with brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne powder, parsley, black pepper and fresh garlic), roasted brussel sprouts with steak spice, cauliflower with tikka masala seasoning and mashed potatoes and gravy. 

I showered and finished my laundry. 

I worked on my painting after dinner (critique is always welcome)

And now I will continue reading which is what I've mostly done this whole week. 😊 I didn't do my sock cubby yet and I'm not sure if I will tonight but there's still hope. 

20200112_202434.thumb.jpg.8cea7e2aa32689e33a86b4c533acfe59.jpg

Update update: I wanted a snack so I grabbed some frozen fruit

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Yay! Was this tasty enough to become a regular option for you in the future?

Yes :) I like eating frozen things. I had a mix of cherries, mango, peaches, strawberries and pineapple.  Though I do not enjoy the frozen mango as much as the others which is interesting to know.

• Like 2

I am a bit behind on my equestrian fitness challenge. I decided to wait until yesterday to do my next fitness portion because my thighs were screaming at me from the Day 1 workout and I figured I would just wait until they felt better.  

Day 3 mindset: Boundaries

What area of your riding could benefit from having better or more defined boundaries? What boundaries are you setting with your riding? 

Day 3 mindset was kind of tricky for me to answer because it was about how your boundaries are defined in regards to riding/barn time/advice/competition/how many times you go to see your horse etc. My biggest boundary is not want I want or one that I intentionally set. So much of my riding has been defined by my anxiety. It used to be really bad to where I would give myself an upset stomach just on my way to the barn because I knew I would need to ride a horse. I have come a long way since then obviously but I still have a huge mental block (aka boundary) when it comes to jumping. The way I'm overcoming or stretching this boundary is to break the thing into smaller more manageable steps and working with my coach and only  jumping when I feel comfortable doing so. This is not a boundary I am looking to define, this is a boundary I am looking to break down.

I would say my set boundaries are pretty well defined and have served me well...

- I need to ride 3 times a week minimum. If I do not get to then I feel restless and depending on the circumstances resentful so the only time I will miss a ride is if I choose to (because I am too sick, weather too bad or I need to reschedule for something). 

- I will not do a competition or public outing at the moment that involves jumping because that is something that I am not ready for mentally.

- I'm not willing to use training equipment if I have not been taught how to properly use it or if I can't explain why it's helpful because that can do more harm to my horse.

- I'm willing to listen to anyone with advice but whether I follow it that's another thing. 

- I aim to be fair and soft with my horse even when my emotions might be running high or things aren't going as planned. She did not chose to be a riding horse and I want her to look forward to our rides and time together. I ask her to do things that are unnatural to her so it is only fair I check my ego and attitude at the door. She is allowed to have off days too.

I'm not sure if that really answers the question but that's what I came up with. It was interesting to think about the different boundaries and how they spawn different feelings.

Day 4 mindset: Rhythm & Harmony 

What part of being an equestrian do you enjoy the most? And why do you think you enjoy this so much? 

- Grooming + Tacking up: This is the time where Daisy and I have our silent conversation and really spend time with each other. We get to feel each other out and see what sort of moods we are in. To me this step is just as important as the actual ride.

- Schooling on the flat: This is where I shine... I am one of the strongest flat riders at my barn. This is mainly because I am afraid of jumping so I need to do extra to keep myself and my horse from getting bored. 

- Jumping: As much as jumping scares the poop out of me... I do love it.. which is why I stick to it. There is no greater feeling than soaring over a jump and the high afterwards of doing a good job. Our rhythm and harmony still needs work here but we are getting there. It really helps because Daisy loves it so much. If she had a choice she would always jump.

Day 5 mindset: Bettering yourself

What would the 'better' version of you do differently when they are riding and working with their horse?

Think with my logical / problem solving brain instead of my fear brain. Keep the conversation with Daisy during the whole ride and communicate effectively in times when things are not going as planned. Trust my horse 100% while jumping (when I am uncertain) but also be an effective leader where she can trust me 100% in times she is uncertain (obstacle trails). I would spend more time focusing on my fitness so I can be a more effective part of the team. A strong body makes for a confident mind. I would approach each ride with a fresh open attitude and I would respond to problems by thinking and remaining soft. Its so easy to nag...try to make your cues louder and more exaggerated when the horse seems to be ignoring your cues or reacting slowly... I want to be a rider that gets softer...quieter... more supple and most importantly who can laugh and have a sense of humour.

What do you have to change in order to be that person? 

In order to become that person I need to think first then react in times where my fear brain wants to take over. I need to put the work in to get my body stronger so I can give those softer cues and make myself more supple. I need to get my body stronger so I can become more confident because my seat is more secure. Confidence will help me become the leader I want to be. It will help me trust Daisy 100% and it will help me trust myself 100%.

Day 6 mindset: Uncomfortable

In your riding, what makes you feel uncomfortable when you think about it?

- Moving up in jumping.

- Doing a show with jumping.

- The warm up ring / riding with multiple people... especially when I am trying to do more challenging things.

- Taking Daisy on the trail / experiencing new things / cantering in the paddock. 

- Not being able to work through issues that come up.

- Riding different horses.

List your 5 solid actions - and commit to doing them before this date 3 months from now?

^ gonna come back to this.. I need to think more on the actions.

• Like 7

Good thing I popped into Whispers thread! :) I totally forgot to do my Week 1 summary

image.png.9038020a624b579e4538c16ec952b856.png

[WATER] Getting my water in over the weekend was a bit tricky because of the broken routine but I did better than I have in the past.

[VEGGIES+IF] I did better with adding more veggies into my meals! :) And I like doing the IF in the mornings because then I don't need to think about another meal so I am saving my mental capacity.  

[READING] I was really into reading this week. I finished Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone and am halfway through HP and the Chamber of Secrets (my least favourite of the series..... but the book is still way better than the movie lol so its acceptable). 

[ART] I am not going to lie... I only painted yesterday so I could fill my box... BUT .. I am glad I did :) I made some good progress and am almost to the point where I think I could call the dog done. I would really need to get or find a sketchbook. I want to practice my drawing more. We were watching a youtube channel BF found that he thought I would like where there are 6 artists paired off in groups of 2 and they are given a character and they need to draw it from memory. It is usually a game, anime, cartoon or comic character. It really made me want to try it!  The next painting I have cued up is a highland cow decorated with flowers. This is going to be for my Mum for her birthday in February... it is what she asked for. We will see how it goes.. I do love Highland cows. 

[HAIR] I did not practice any new hairstyles but I found a few I would like to try but they involve french braiding. I love french braids but have never quite mastered them. 

[HOUSE TASK] For my house tasks, I fixed the internet (our modem broke and it was my turn to figure it out... I usually make BF do it), I cleared off the kitchen table (so I could make bath bombs) and I put the wrapping supplies back in the basement. I would like to get some containers to be able to store the wrapping paper better. 

[STARBUCKS] I did have a second Starbucks this week but BF bribed me so I would pick up food :P so I was not going to say no. I am a bit disappointed in myself; not because I had it but because I reverted to my old self of not even thinking when ordering.. I just got the medium instead of the small.... If I had consciously chosen the medium that would of been fine but I didn't even put thought into it.

[DEBT] I did not put $7 into my LOC account but I did set aside money for my RRSP contribution I have to make so I am going to count that as a kind of win. 

[RELATIONSHIP] I spent more quality time with BF this weekend which was really nice. He even mentioned how he thought it was nice we did more things together. We are both trying. We don't have a bad relationship in any ways but we just sometimes forget to prioritize hanging out together or we just do our own things and only see each other around meals.

[MISC] I made 6 bath bombs for my riding coach. They are bright blue and peppermint scented because I don't have any lavender at the moment. I am a bit out of practice but I think they turned out ok. They definitely foam up really nicely! I am hoping they are okay in my car and its not too moist outside or they will activate. She gets migraines and this helps her.

To do for Week 2

- Sweep main floor

- Tidy area beside art chair

- Go to bank and make RRSP contribution

- Research mattresses with BF *
- Finish dog painting

- Start cow painting

- Make more bath bombs 

- Put guitar back downstairs

* Has anyone got a Casper mattress? 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Rookie said:

I am a bit behind on my equestrian fitness challenge. I decided to wait until yesterday to do my next fitness portion because my thighs were screaming at me from the Day 1 workout and I figured I would just wait until they felt better.  

Day 3 mindset: Boundaries

What area of your riding could benefit from having better or more defined boundaries? What boundaries are you setting with your riding? 

Day 3 mindset was kind of tricky for me to answer because it was about how your boundaries are defined in regards to riding/barn time/advice/competition/how many times you go to see your horse etc. My biggest boundary is not want I want or one that I intentionally set. So much of my riding has been defined by my anxiety. It used to be really bad to where I would give myself an upset stomach just on my way to the barn because I knew I would need to ride a horse. I have come a long way since then obviously but I still have a huge mental block (aka boundary) when it comes to jumping. The way I'm overcoming or stretching this boundary is to break the thing into smaller more manageable steps and working with my coach and only  jumping when I feel comfortable doing so. This is not a boundary I am looking to define, this is a boundary I am looking to break down.

I would say my set boundaries are pretty well defined and have served me well...

- I need to ride 3 times a week minimum. If I do not get to then I feel restless and depending on the circumstances resentful so the only time I will miss a ride is if I choose to (because I am too sick, weather too bad or I need to reschedule for something). 

- I will not do a competition or public outing at the moment that involves jumping because that is something that I am not ready for mentally.

- I'm not willing to use training equipment if I have not been taught how to properly use it or if I can't explain why it's helpful because that can do more harm to my horse.

- I'm willing to listen to anyone with advice but whether I follow it that's another thing. 

- I aim to be fair and soft with my horse even when my emotions might be running high or things aren't going as planned. She did not chose to be a riding horse and I want her to look forward to our rides and time together. I ask her to do things that are unnatural to her so it is only fair I check my ego and attitude at the door. She is allowed to have off days too.

I'm not sure if that really answers the question but that's what I came up with. It was interesting to think about the different boundaries and how they spawn different feelings.

Day 4 mindset: Rhythm & Harmony 

What part of being an equestrian do you enjoy the most? And why do you think you enjoy this so much? 

- Grooming + Tacking up: This is the time where Daisy and I have our silent conversation and really spend time with each other. We get to feel each other out and see what sort of moods we are in. To me this step is just as important as the actual ride.

- Schooling on the flat: This is where I shine... I am one of the strongest flat riders at my barn. This is mainly because I am afraid of jumping so I need to do extra to keep myself and my horse from getting bored. 

- Jumping: As much as jumping scares the poop out of me... I do love it.. which is why I stick to it. There is no greater feeling than soaring over a jump and the high afterwards of doing a good job. Our rhythm and harmony still needs work here but we are getting there. It really helps because Daisy loves it so much. If she had a choice she would always jump.

Day 5 mindset: Bettering yourself

What would the 'better' version of you do differently when they are riding and working with their horse?

Think with my logical / problem solving brain instead of my fear brain. Keep the conversation with Daisy during the whole ride and communicate effectively in times when things are not going as planned. Trust my horse 100% while jumping (when I am uncertain) but also be an effective leader where she can trust me 100% in times she is uncertain (obstacle trails). I would spend more time focusing on my fitness so I can be a more effective part of the team. A strong body makes for a confident mind. I would approach each ride with a fresh open attitude and I would respond to problems by thinking and remaining soft. Its so easy to nag...try to make your cues louder and more exaggerated when the horse seems to be ignoring your cues or reacting slowly... I want to be a rider that gets softer...quieter... more supple and most importantly who can laugh and have a sense of humour.

What do you have to change in order to be that person? 

In order to become that person I need to think first then react in times where my fear brain wants to take over. I need to put the work in to get my body stronger so I can give those softer cues and make myself more supple. I need to get my body stronger so I can become more confident because my seat is more secure. Confidence will help me become the leader I want to be. It will help me trust Daisy 100% and it will help me trust myself 100%.

- Moving up in jumping.

- The warm up ring / riding with multiple people... especially when I am trying to do more challenging things.

- Taking Daisy on the trail / experiencing new things / cantering in the paddock. 

List your 5 solid actions - and commit to doing them before this date 3 months from now?

^ gonna come back to this.. I need to think more on the actions.

I think you answered really well on these; especially the question you had to redefine (set boundaries) because you didn't just skip it-you thought about it and came up with an alternative.

• Thanks 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks fitnessgurl. :)

Lesson went good. I wasn't 100% there mentally. I felt fidgety and not as secure as I've been feeling and Daisy was a bit mischievous but settled into work. My instructor had me work on figure-8s... Fun she said. And fun they were I guess lol. She has some of the best exercises that I can do but are still challenging. She had me first pick up a canter and go fully around the arena then change direction across the diagonal. Then she had me go halfway around and switch directions. Then a quarter of the way and switch.... Then switch directions over the jump. We did well and I wasn't feeling as confident or cheery this time around but I'm proud of myself for not letting that be an excuse to let myself get grumpy or frustrated. I'm just feeling tired. Oh and she told me that was my last lesson so this month is the trifecta... Lessons, farrier and board 😭 bye bye money. 

Food! 

So tonight I just started sauteing up some garlic, onion, broccoli and mushrooms. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to make with it. So I made 2 things! 

Dinner: 

20200113_204954.thumb.jpg.89f6077bfb74eed4f912e88d5d3cab25.jpg

Rice, black beans, corn, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, chicken and my broccoli mushroom mix. 

And for lunch tomorrow (and probably Wednesday if I like it) I made chicken fried rice.

20200113_205035.thumb.jpg.ee4fe3fa3319643fff5479328ad5bd51.jpg

I just added rice, soy sauce and 3 eggs. 

😊 Not bad. 

Now time to read some Harry Potter. I was actually looking forward to it while finishing up at the barn!

• Like 9

Sorry you aren't feeling well. hopefully round 2 is quick to bounce back from. I totally get it on the weight thing. Its like "I thought I was being good, but maybe not." I will say Juice has a TON Of calories in it, so that could be the issue.

I will say snacking after dinner is a bad idea for me. That is when its easy to eat WAY more than I thought, or more sugar than I thought. I generally just do the "nothing after dinner" rule and it does help.

Good luck with the fitness challenge. It sounds fun

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

- Jumping.
- Thinking about if I will ever be able to get past or manage my anxiety.
- Moving up in jumping.

- Riding in mud.

1. Do a pony swap with my sister so I can practice riding different horses.
2. Jump a full course
3. Continue riding when riding with other people (usually I stop and wait for them to be done what they are doing when they start jumping or certain other activities so I don't get in their way)

Day 7 mindset: Leadership

How can you be a better leader for your horse? How can you actively develop your leadership skills more, both in and out of the saddle?

I have found that practicing actively making decisions (even if they aren't always the right one) has helped with confidence and being able to make decisions faster and better in the future. To me a leader is someone who is there for support and problem solving that is consistent, fair and supportive. Someone you are willing to go above and beyond for because you know they have your best interest and just want you to succeed. Usually when Daisy and I are having an issue its because I hesitate on making a decision or I second guess my decisions. By practicing making decisions and sticking to them I can be a better leader. Insecurity I find has ruined her trust in me (in certain scenarios) and she would start to take over and make decisions. To become a more consistent, fair and supportive person I can aim to become that person at home, at work and in the saddle. When emotions are running high I can take a step back to collect myself before responding. I can set clear boundaries of what is expected of people around me and what they can expect from me. Another part is realizing my own worth and not letting people (or a certain horse) to take advantage of me. That really comes down to confidence in my abilities. 

9 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I'm really enjoying your answers to the equestrian fitness challenge 😃 And good job working in the veggies!

I am so glad! :) I was worried it was a bit much haha

I don't have a Casper mattress, but I'm interested in knowing how they are.

There is also Tuft & Needle and Leesa. Apparently we have to take into account our weight for those mattresses though and the internet recommended Titan, Helix Plus, Big Fig. I didn't realize there were so many beds in boxes.

36 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Sorry you aren't feeling well. hopefully round 2 is quick to bounce back from. I totally get it on the weight thing. Its like "I thought I was being good, but maybe not." I will say Juice has a TON Of calories in it, so that could be the issue.

Round 2 is pretty much beat! :) I am about 98-99% better. Juice sure does lol however I have been making really good progress so far :) I haven't gained the weight I lost from when I was sick yet... in fact I am down a pound or two.

I will say snacking after dinner is a bad idea for me. That is when its easy to eat WAY more than I thought, or more sugar than I thought. I generally just do the "nothing after dinner" rule and it does help.

I find I like to have a sweet after dinner... like a chocolate or mint. I am trying to break away from this though and also do the nothing after dinner.

Good luck with the fitness challenge. It sounds fun

Thanks! :) I am taking it a bit slower then it is probably intended but I figure better to do it at my own pace then to become unmotivated and just not do it at all.

• Like 5