• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

J3NN

J3NN Designed her Destiny

Hi all, 

Quick who am I… I’m married (23 years this year), I’m a mother of one adult daughter, I’m a rebel because I can’t pick a path, I’m following a low-carb diet for meals at home so that when I’m out I can indulge and enjoy myself, I walk for exercise, I have three cats, season tickets to the local hockey team (minor league, Go Reign!) and I love the outdoors. I’ve been with Nerd Fitness off and on for years, and I’m trying to start the year off right.

I used a practice called Design Your Destiny to establish my 2020 goals. Here's the short version - long version is in the spoiler:

• A place for everything and everything in it’s place
  • Explore fitness activities to find exercise I enjoy and will do consistently
  • Create opportunities to share common interests (with friends and family)
  • Uncover and follow my spiritual path
Spoiler

A place for everything and everything in it’s place

My biggest frustration recently is that although the public living spaces of my home are clean and nicely decorated, my closets, bedrooms, garage and gym/really big closet, are cluttered and overwhelmed with too many things. I’ve tried different things, FlyLady, UFYH, Marie Condo, and even tantrums, but nothing has worked, so I’m going to try something new. 

I made a list of the key areas by time period (frequency of using the area/items) and then broke them into specific tasks. So for example, each day, I’ll am in in my bathroom to get ready for work, but that area is cluttered with things that have expired or are nearly empty, or things I use maybe twice a year. So my plan is to pick one area to focus on and then empty everything for that focus area into a box. I’ll put back only the things I use daily (or whatever time period) and I’ll try that for a couple days. Next, after having time to see how it’s flowing, I’ll organize the items in a way that is most efficient and then finally I will release the items in the box I no longer use, or if I have to, I’ll find a better way to store it.

I have a lot of areas, but I’m going to try to do one a month with the hope that some months I’ll be ambitious or motivated by prior success and sneak in more than one. I want to see progress and success, it’s not about finishing it in a certain time period. I’m starting with the daily stuff and will work out from there. Hopefully by the time we get around to Halloween I’ll be ready to tackle that stuff as we dig everything out this year, and then the same for Christmas. Finally, I don’t want to let clutter build, so I’m going to practice a new habit of putting everything away, daily. And I have to come up with a plan for when I bring in a new item.

Here are the Focus Areas I came up with

Daily Weekly Monthly Quarterly Biannually Annually
Closet
Bathroom
Bullet journal
Kitchen (breakfast/ lunch/ dinner)
Bed
Desk
Car
Gym
Pets
Mail
Drawing
Crochet
Groceries
Laundry
Outdoor living
Beverages
Stones
Challenges (Nerd Fitness)
Friends over
Craft supplies
Bullet journal
Goal setting Clothing storage Halloween
Christmas
Other

Explore fitness activities to find exercise I enjoy and will do consistently

My doctor wants me to work up to 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise a week. Right now I don’t do moderate intensity exercise very often, so even though I may be out doing a ½ mile walk each day, it’s more like a stroll, so it’s not doing as much for me as I need it to. This is a long term goal to get there. To start with, I’m going to use my Huawei watch to track my exercise and record minutes and intensity. Next challenge I will then set a goal to increase the intensity for the same minutes… assuming my plantar fasciitis is under control. The part about finding exercise I enjoy is going to be the challenge though, I just don’t enjoy exercise, other than walking, but getting that to a moderate intensity level is a challenge, so I need to explore other things. I’m going to think outside of the box and try different things out for a challenge at a time to see if I can find the magic bullet. I’m thinking of trying a dance class, horseback riding lessons, couch to 5k, hiking, Zumba, etc. So we’ll see where this goes.

Create opportunities to share common interests (with friends and family)

This wasn’t originally on my list as a goal, but I’m wanting to add more joy in my life and I’ve found through reflection that the times I find myself most filled with joy is when I am spending time with family or friends, especially when we’re doing something creative together. So I want to do more of that this year. I just want to keep this top of mind, and try to schedule things at least quarterly, but ideally more frequently. We’ve already got some things we do annually, like GISH, Halloween and Gingerbread houses, but we want to introduce a game night and find things to do the rest of the year too.

Uncover and follow my spiritual path

In recent years I’ve felt like something was missing, I’ve had more grumpy, dissatisfied days than I have good, joyful days, and I’m not happy about this. I understand that this can often be caused when you don’t feel that you understand your purpose. I also understand that your purpose often stems from your spiritual path. So, this year I’m going to go deep into discovering my spiritual calling. I was not raised religious, but I’ve always resonated with non-traditional paths, be they Native American or Wiccan, so over the last few months I’ve started exploring the different types of witchcraft and started practicing rituals to connect me to the earth’s energy. I’ve only been dabbling, so this focus will be to truly learn to find what resonates with me and what doesn’t. For example, I tried the Green Witch path, and that just isn’t for me. So I’m focusing on general everyday witchcraft with an emphasis on correspondences and the moon cycles. This will shift challenge to challenge to give myself opportunity to learn different things and find out where I fit. The long term goal is to find where I fit and from there, find out my purpose and how to give that back to world.

So, since it’s the beginning of the year, we’re going to start simple and maintain my old habits while introducing 6 new ones. I have 2-3 small action steps I will work on per week toward my goals. I have created a list of the tasks and will be tracking them in my to-do list, and I will be tracking my habits in my bullet journal. 

Habit tracking

• Update Challenge daily
  • Read Simple Abundance
  • Read Everyday Witchcraft
  • 750 words of journaling based on the two devotionals
  • Pneumatic compression therapy 3 times, 1 hr before work,  1.5 - 2 hrs after
  • Track minutes of exercise so I have a base number to work an increase from
  • Update perpetual journal
  • Put things away
  • Do one happy item each day
    • Petting cats
    • Playing PokemonGo
    • Crocheting
    • Drawing
    • Reading
    • Watching TV with family
    • Walking
    • Eating delicious tasties
    • Snuggles
    • Disney songs
    • Talking to sis-in-law
    • Listening to my favorite playlists
    • Planning new spreads in Bullet journal
    • Enjoying a special beverage
  • Track stretch goals
    • Meditate
    • Spiritual practice
    • Simple Abundance Tools
    • Gratitude Journal

So, here we go! Happy New Year and many blessings!

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Wow you have really designed your destiny. I'm impressed!

Also yay low-carb and BuJo 👊

I really like your decluttering strategy! Looking forward to see how that goes.

For exercise I know I didn't like that for forever, until I met my BF and he introduced me to spinning and road cycling. :D

So I'm sure there's something out there for you to enjoy!

• Like 2

Last night I'd hoped to get my tracker set up in my bujo, but that didn't happen. Dinner was delicious though and I worked on my R2D2 drawing which is a gift I need to finish by dinner tonight, so I'll give myself a pass I guess.

Three days into the devotional/journal thing and it's interesting. I definitely see that starting my day with something else to think about, and then making myself really think about it, makes a difference. It takes the focus away from the complaining in my head and I don't wanna's. 

And dangit, I just remembered that I walked with the team and forgot to track it. I guess I'll see if I can manually add it since it's the same as we did yesterday. Oops. This is why we're starting small. But I want my 8 minutes to count! :)

• Like 4

Been busy with random chores and stuff today so that's good. Bless the weekend for giving us time to catch up.

I used some Christmas Money and got a little cart I set up as a Bujo/Art cart that I can wheel next to the couch when I'm doing my compression therapy. It's all set up and ready to try out tonight. I have a long list of spreads I need to create to get my setup done so I can start using it, I'll do that while watching the game tonight. Here's the list, for me, what spreads do you all use and like on a monthly/weekly basis?

• 1 -2 Month at a glance
  • 3 Check-in-Emotional, Physical, Spiritual
  • 4 Gratitude
  • 5 Goal Tracker
  • 6 Tasks
  • 7 -8 Habit/Challenge Tracker (Mood/Happy Tracker)
  • 9 Drawing Prompts
  • 10 Ideas/Brain Dump
  • 11-12 Week at a glance (x4-5)
  • Project plan
  • New Moon
  • Full Moon
  • Monthly Review

Yearly/As needed Spreads

• Wish list
  • Bright Side
  • Someday (home repairs/)projects list

My devotional was late today, but it was good, one action item was the Bright Side spread which is from my Witchy devotional, looking forward to that. Also, started thinking about making myself the leading lady in my life and what that would include, which was an interesting exercise. 

• Like 4

Here's my happy little art cart. And here's a link to my happy for the day.

A pelican befriended a stray dog who was often spotted hanging out all alone along the boat docks. The man who photographed this has adopted him but brings him back every day to see his friend, Petey the Pelican. -

ae2ac8061d511edbfdab6ba9a8ead6b5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I have the worst habit of thinking that the weekend days when my husband works I can do ALL the things. So I had a list today is 15 things, not counting the challenge. I've done 9 of them. And I'm about toast.

I also broke the foot stool, that was not on the list. Thankfully hunny fixed it when he got home.

Here's to another week and the official challenge start.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 2:41 AM, J3NN said:

Here's the list, for me, what spreads do you all use and like on a monthly/weekly basis?

You assume a level of organisation that I have not achieved ^^. I do have apps to track my daily mood and to automatically track my walking/cycling. I use an agenda for daily todo-lists, since that enforces me to keep my todo-lists reasonably short. I now even printed the "yoga with Adriene" 30-day schedule, so that I can cross off the things I have done.

Anyway, I like your challenge, even if it's a bit on the full side :). Good luck and have fun with it!

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, J3NN said:

for me, what spreads do you all use and like on a monthly/weekly basis?

I had a Bujo but I found taking the time to make the tracker just for challenges was something I had a hard time with. Plus, I was having a hard time keeping it all on one set of pages without it being tiny small. Thats why I went to the the spreadsheet method and it does all the math for me so I can see how i am doing.

Brain dump is one I ma trying to get back to. I just keep a notebook with me and write in it when I think of something that needs handled. Then once in a while I will type it up or rewrite it while removing the stuff I did that day.

Daily, I either use the journal, a spare notebook or I type up a list and cross off as I go. Then I can see what I accomplish.

• Like 1

I'm so annoyed. Let me just say work stuff and leave it at that, but it has completely taken my mojo and gotten me out of my groove. Ugh.

Challenge update for zero week:

• I bought and organized my art supplies for bullet journaling and drawing, so I'll count that as a win. I'll revisit this after some time to see if it's working. 
    • I forgot to turn on my fitness tracker when we did our walk, again. Apparently this new habit needs work. But at least I got the walking in and I can manually add it again. So last week I did 58 minutes of low intensity exercise. We'll see how this week goes.
    • We had dinner with our Halloween friend and agreed to theme Halloween after Ghostbusters this year in honor of the new movie. So now we can start thinking about props and costumes :)
    • I got all my stones and gemstones in my box so I can find them easily, but I haven't been able to get to making a cheat sheet card for each one yet.
    • I have read my devotionals and journaled every day. It's feeling interesting. I've been through one of these devotionals before and I can see that making myself journal about it instead of just reading it is making a distinct difference in how much I remember and think about through the course of the day. 
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, J3NN said:

I'm so annoyed. Let me just say work stuff and leave it at that, but it has completely taken my mojo and gotten me out of my groove. Ugh.

Totally get it. Hopefully your groove will be back pretty quick.

13 hours ago, J3NN said:

Challenge update for zero week:

• I bought and organized my art supplies for bullet journaling and drawing, so I'll count that as a win. I'll revisit this after some time to see if it's working. 
    • I forgot to turn on my fitness tracker when we did our walk, again. Apparently this new habit needs work. But at least I got the walking in and I can manually add it again. So last week I did 58 minutes of low intensity exercise. We'll see how this week goes.
    • We had dinner with our Halloween friend and agreed to theme Halloween after Ghostbusters this year in honor of the new movie. So now we can start thinking about props and costumes :)
    • I got all my stones and gemstones in my box so I can find them easily, but I haven't been able to get to making a cheat sheet card for each one yet.
    • I have read my devotionals and journaled every day. It's feeling interesting. I've been through one of these devotionals before and I can see that making myself journal about it instead of just reading it is making a distinct difference in how much I remember and think about through the course of the day. 

I would say that is still making progress. Maybe not as much progress as you want, but it sounds like you are moving forward and not "Nope, not doing" or sliding backwards. Good job. Keep just going forward. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I ended up battling a migraine, so I didn't get a lot of boxes done, but did get 8 including lots of cat snuggles and reading. TV was bothering me but reading wasn't, so I went with it. I haven't just sat on the couch and read uninterrupted for hours in I don't know how long. It was kind of amazing. :) Strangely, though, I only have 8 boxes that are required technically, so, I guess I was right on track. 

Today the headache is much better and so I'm waiting for my friends to arrive so we can go on our walk. We haven't been in ages, the holidays really messed with our schedule. I did do the short one with work this morning, and of course I forgot to turn on my fitness tracker, so I need to make sure not to do that tonight.

I'm curious to see what intensity this walk is rated at, there's a long gradual uphill and I always get out of breath, so I'm curious to see if it bumps it up any.

I've been pondering art...and it's connection to my mood. I haven't done art much except for the R2, and I haven't been in a great mood. I have daily/weekly challenge prompts, I just haven't been doing them. I've been looking for something more tangible to track my mood, smiley faces are all well and good but what does it really mean when I put a frowny face? I was thinking of looking up some anxiety/depression checklist and finding some language there. And then doing some correlation. My hubby shared a correlation he'd seen on Reddit that showed how interacting with a specific person on Day A, made the poster have a better day on Day B or C. She kept track of all this and then ran the numbers. I'd like to be able to do that after a challenge and show how exercise, or art, or whatever, has a negative/positive impact on my mood. But I think I need to do it in a way that is measurable... not just random smileys.

Has anyone done anything more detailed like that for mood trackers?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, J3NN said:

Has anyone done anything more detailed like that for mood trackers?

I installed Daylio for this purpose, but never got around to use it that way. You can put in your moods (scale 1-5, with customisable names per category) and your activities/habits. You then can get graphs where you can see the timeline of your mood with dots where you did that activity. So no fixed number, but some visual indication. I guess if you want the correlation as a number, you should probably track it yourself and do some statistics using e.g. excel.

I hope your walk was fun!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

I installed Daylio for this purpose, but never got around to use it that way.

Thanks, I'll definitely check this out, if nothing else to get ideas for tracking.

The walk was nice, we only did about 45 minutes, my plantar fasciitis started acting up and it was kind of cold out there. As expected, my tracker said the intensity was the lowest level, warmup. But at least I was out there. It's interesting, because there was a point where we were all out of breath and our conversation dwindled, so I assumed that we would have crossed into a little of the next level, but apparently not.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:29 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

Totally get it. Hopefully your groove will be back pretty quick.

Thanks, yesterday was better. I wore a necklace of Citrine and used it as a symbol to myself and I got through the day much better.

• Like 3

Ehm, isn't at least moderate exercise when you're out of breath? Does the tracker look at your heart rate or at speed and inclination? Your tracker is crazy, and from what I read you're pushing yourself far enough :).

• Like 1

Ah Friday, with all the weird schedules it feels like it's been a long time.

I'm doing okay on all the things, we're going to hockey tonight, San Diego for a night this weekend and then back at it.

I hope to declutter tomorrow before we go, but will see how it goes. I got the groceries done, still have to do laundry though.

Did my full moon spread last night, including coloring a mandalas, and today has been the best day all week... But it's Friday.

Have a good weekend all!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J3NN said:

Ah Friday, with all the weird schedules it feels like it's been a long time.

I'm doing okay on all the things, we're going to hockey tonight, San Diego for a night this weekend and then back at it.

Have fun. It's been awhile since I have gone to watch the Barracuda. 

• Like 1

Have fun. It's been awhile since I have gone to watch the Barracuda. 
They killed us this week. 9-0 shutout, tonight's the first game since that loss, curious to see the energy.

• Like 1

You too, I hope you had fun at the game .
It was fun, we have other season ticket holders as or friends now so we always have fun, even when they lost, like last night, again

We're almost on our way to San Diego. I didn't get to declutter like I hoped. I forgot we had a card saying there was a caring drive pickup this week so instead of working on my bathroom vanity I started to go through the closet. I reorganized evening to hang with similar clothes and got through everything hanging. When we get home I'll go through the shelves, o think I'll have more stuff to part with there.

So I got all my laundry done and started decluttering, even though it wasn't the area I had planned. I walked yesterday, but haven't today, I'll get a walk in tomorrow. But I did sign up for a workout class starting next Saturday, so there's that.

I charged all my minerals under the full moon and I'm wearing my quartzes for the weekend.

Little steps things are happening!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, J3NN said:

It was fun, we have other season ticket holders as or friends now so we always have fun, even when they lost, like last night, again emoji26.png

We're almost on our way to San Diego. I didn't get to declutter like I hoped. I forgot we had a card saying there was a caring drive pickup this week so instead of working on my bathroom vanity I started to go through the closet. I reorganized evening to hang with similar clothes and got through everything hanging. When we get home I'll go through the shelves, o think I'll have more stuff to part with there.

So I got all my laundry done and started decluttering, even though it wasn't the area I had planned. I walked yesterday, but haven't today, I'll get a walk in tomorrow. But I did sign up for a workout class starting next Saturday, so there's that.

I charged all my minerals under the full moon and I'm wearing my quartzes for the weekend.

Little steps emoji846.png things are happening!

Have fun in San Diego. It sounds like you are making progress, even if it wasn't in the order you planned. Keep up the good work.

I, too, am a mother that plays Pokemon Go!!!  I have two adult children and one still in high school.  My high schooler will occasionally play but mostly it's us adults out there :) 

708364054_Screenshot2020-01-12at9_51_34AM.thumb.png.1324280fa5496bd56d3fde947b78dfbb.png

• Like 3

I, too, am a mother that plays Pokemon Go!!!  I have two adult children and one still in high school.  My high schooler will occasionally play but mostly it's us adults out there  

708364054_Screenshot2020-01-12at9_51_34AM.thumb.png.1324280fa5496bd56d3fde947b78dfbb.png
I've never even heard of one of those! I was by the ocean today so I caught some new pokemon, yay!

• Like 3