On 1/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, starsapart said:

Impressive video!!!

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Fear demons begone!

Thank youuuu! It's been a long road and I ultimately felt really dumb for not doing this sooner. Hahah, hopefully they stick though!

19 hours ago, Raxie said:

I am upset I have never heard the term hangxiety before because I get this and it truly did need its own word.  Thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

Hahah, it is common bugaboo in the hangover collection. 

Happy new year & following!!

Welcome!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111c79c87fb4ec79f7a5

Day 1.2

Work was a bit slow, but we got through it and headed out to lift.

Squats: 5 x 245#, 2 x 3 x 255#, 2 x 5 x 240# <-- these were so slow, come on body, wake the fuck up

Bench: 6 x 3 x 145#, 2 x 3 x 150#, 2 x 155 1 x 155# <-- I only got one on my heavy double, but I think there were other factors in play such as super sore shoulders from uneven bars and... a total diva complaint, but I trained on a different bench than usual which has a different bench pad that I don't like as much. 😝

Reverse hypers: 4 x 20 x 90#

Elbow plank/shoulder plank sets

Curls: 4 x 10 x 20#

At home, I cooked up a big batch of spicy lentil stew to eat with rice, salsa verde ground turkey, and feta. It was surprisingly very good despite looking kind of gross (I threw in a bunch of spinach to veg it up). 

Lifting: bench 1RM tested - 0/1, double deadlift workouts - 0/2, new program - 0/1

Gymnastics: free hip drills - 0/1, beam back handsprings - 1/1, floor routine - 0/1 

Life: breakfasts out - 0/1, dinners out  - 0/2, bday highlight video -  0/1, CDMX planning - 1/5 

I actually just signed an offer for the new gig, which is writing and content strategy for a totally different industry. Whaaaat~! It's a nice pay increase from my current nonprofit job (shocking, I know) and will be a big change in terms of daily workflow, company size, types of coworkers, etc. I'm excited because I've been at my current org over over six years and have been feeling pretty stagnant for a while now. I'll be starting the first Monday in February. :) My friend in London I want to visit has a wedding the Saturday of the weekend I was planning on going, buuuuut, I might still go anyway? I'm thinking it out. The airfares for the days I want to leave are substantially higher for the days before and the days after, so I might either take a slightly longer trip than I planned and have to ditch my current office a bit earlier than I wanted to orrrrrrrrr just go another time. 

• Like 12

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

I actually just signed an offer for the new gig, which is writing and content strategy for a totally different industry. Whaaaat~! It's a nice pay increase from my current nonprofit job (shocking, I know) and will be a big change in terms of daily workflow, company size, types of coworkers, etc. I'm excited because I've been at my current org over over six years and have been feeling pretty stagnant for a while now.

Congratulations! Writing and content strategy sounds interesting. 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Congrats on the new job! 

Regarding travel, it will probably be a while before you have PTO/vacation days available at the new job, it's probably easier to visit the other side of the pond by leaving the old job earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks, you guys! I'm stoked. The bennies are also delightful and it's a 12 minute walk from my house, so I now have the best commute of all time. I feel like a total rat, hahaha. 🤗

16 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

And I guess, like, conquering fears of back handsprings is pretty cool too. 💁‍♂️

IT HAS BEEN A PRETTY GOOD WEEK.

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Regarding travel, it will probably be a while before you have PTO/vacation days available at the new job, it's probably easier to visit the other side of the pond by leaving the old job earlier.

Wellllllll, this is a young-ish tech company so everyone has "unlimited vacation" which usually means people take less than they would with a real vacation policy (I will not be one of those people) AND also means that they don't have to cash out unused vacation when people leave or are fired (or if the company folds or something catastrophic happens) -- a common reason these types of orgs choose this type of policy in the first place. 😝

Also they have a London office and my boss-to-be suggested that I would be taking trips out there periodically, sooooo getting back over there doesn't sound too difficult to wrangle at the new gig. That being said, I am still considering going at the end of the month because with gymnastics season at the door, I don't think I'd be able to get out to London on my own time until like May at the earliest. And that's so far away! 

• Like 9

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117d474573894ede0c9e

Day 1.3

I've been eating and sleeping like a champion, but my body had a LOT of trouble trying to recover from the last few days of hard workouts... Workouts that I don't think should have been as felt as they were, but I cannot argue with the response from my body when I'm doing everything else right. 🤷‍♀️ With that in mind, I knocked down my doubles a bit lower than prescribed because my hips felt like absolute butt and that was certainly the right call because they were tough, tough, tough.

Deadlifts: 2 x 300#, 2 x 310#, 4 x 295#, 4 x 4 x 285#

Deficit deads: 4 x 5 x 255#

Close-grip bench press: 4 x 10 x 110#

DB rows: 4 x 10 x 45# <-- I'm probably going to swap these for t-bar rows in the next program because my back keeps weaseling out of full engagement here

Pull-ups: 5, 4, 3

Single leg glute bridges: 4 x 20

I kind of wanted to go out for a drink or two and celebrate the new job, but I made SO MANY LENTILS the night before and given how fully under-recovered by body felt, I thought I didn't need to throw it the curveball of a wonky bar dinner and hard alcohol just yet. Instead, I went home and ate my wholesome dinner (repeat of Tuesday) with a nice cider (just a teensy bit of alcohol) and read more of the library book I've borrowed, My Sister is a Serial Killer. I'll celebrate the new gig this weekend. 😊

Lifting: bench 1RM tested - 0/1, double deadlift workouts - 1/2, new program - 0/1

Gymnastics: free hip drills - 0/1, beam back handsprings - 1/1, floor routine - 0/1 

Life: breakfasts out - 0/1, dinners out  - 0/2, bday highlight video -  0/1, CDMX planning - 2/5 

Plan for the rest of the week

Th - gymnastics probably --> my hips are already feeling a bit better and I can do some aerobic conditioning and maybe vaulting either way 

F - lifting + work on the highlight video

S - my friend is coming in on a redeye that gets in at 6 AM and he's a friend so I may or may not make it to my 10 AM gymnastics mock meet... tbd + brewery visits + dinner and drinks to celebrate the new gig

S - probably lifting + brunch + games with local pals + ???

• Like 10

Raptron, alot assassin

1 hour ago, raptron said:

S - my friend is coming in on a redeye that gets in at 6 AM and he's a friend so I may or may not make it to my 10 AM gymnastics mock meet... tbd + brewery visits + dinner and drinks to celebrate the new gig

Friends are very important and can/should absolutely take priority over other things :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, raptron said:

Thanks, you guys! I'm stoked. The bennies are also delightful and it's a 12 minute walk from my house, so I now have the best commute of all time. I feel like a total rat, hahaha. 🤗

Ahh that's such a win! I've never had a walking or biking commute, and that's definitely on the wish list for any future job switches (though they're off in the far distant future, at least right now).

Wellllllll, this is a young-ish tech company so everyone has "unlimited vacation" which usually means people take less than they would with a real vacation policy (I will not be one of those people) AND also means that they don't have to cash out unused vacation when people leave or are fired (or if the company folds or something catastrophic happens) -- a common reason these types of orgs choose this type of policy in the first place. 😝

Well said - I had never really articulated what I dislike about "unlimited vacation" as a policy, but you nailed it on articulating all my issues.

Also they have a London office and my boss-to-be suggested that I would be taking trips out there periodically, sooooo getting back over there doesn't sound too difficult to wrangle at the new gig. That being said, I am still considering going at the end of the month because with gymnastics season at the door, I don't think I'd be able to get out to London on my own time until like May at the earliest. And that's so far away! 

Ahhhh that's awesome!! 

Killer workout as always, and smart call to rest up for the weekend and your friend's visit!

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Yeah--unlimited vacation generally means unclear expectations about how much is actually okay so no one really knows if they're taking to much which leads to no one really taking any so they aren't the outlier in the amount of time they're taking off. Don't fall into the minimal-to-no-vacation trap, Raptron. :) 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, raptron said:

my hips felt like absolute butt

This made me laugh.  It is probably funnier if you know that in Japan "hips" is the polite word for butt (I think similar in usage to derriere in English) :D

• Haha 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

23 hours ago, sylph said:

Friends are very important and can/should absolutely take priority over other things :)

Hahah, he'd probably appreciate that you're saying that. I'm still on the fence. It'll be a game time decision -- it's only a few hours out of the dayyyy, after all. And I so do love seeing my teammates' routines. 👯‍♀️ We'll see what happens.

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Well said - I had never really articulated what I dislike about "unlimited vacation" as a policy, but you nailed it on articulating all my issues.

19 hours ago, sylph said:

Yeah--unlimited vacation generally means unclear expectations about how much is actually okay so no one really knows if they're taking to much which leads to no one really taking any so they aren't the outlier in the amount of time they're taking off. Don't fall into the minimal-to-no-vacation trap, Raptron. :) 

The woman who called me with the offer recommended picking a target amount of vacation to use through the year and trying to hit it, while tracking on your own. I will probably do that because I already have a personal system for tracking my vacation time and it'll be easy to just continue doing that at the new gig. 👍

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Any chance you'll share some work stuff? 

Possibly! It depends on where it winds up facing. Most of the writing is going to be for already paying customers, but if any of it is more public  facing, I'll let ya know. I know this kind of professional writing is of interest to you right now. 🤗

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm so confused, who are you and what have you done with Raptron?

I KNOW. Blame January. The dreaded moderation messaging is getting to me. 😂

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This made me laugh.  It is probably funnier if you know that in Japan "hips" is the polite word for butt (I think similar in usage to derriere in English) :D

The juxtaposition of two different body parts without additional connotations was kind of funny to me, but I like this layer even more! 😂

GeIt.gif

Day 1.4

I went to gymnastics practice after all! While I was writing my update for Monday, I put in an order for new grips and they came in on Wednesday (thanks, Papa Jeff), so I took them to practice to start breaking them in. My hips were still very tight and during my warm-up lines on floor, and I noticed my legs were pretty tired (almost like squats and deadlifts will do that to ya, eh?) so I knew it wasn't going to be a day for tumbling. I did do this stupid human trick/challenge during stretching warm-ups though:

I think I could have done it much better if I waited til the end of practice and also maybe wore socks. 😅 But this was was definitely funnier.

I did a lot of uneven bars, including a couple of very nice free hips, my high bar connections, and a good handful of toe shoots. I went for a routine, but felt my hands starting to rip, so I cancelled it halfway through. Then I started working in breaking in my new grips which means sanding down the finger holes, stretching the leather, and starting to wear them on the bars for some basic skills and tap swings and the like. That was probably another 20-30 minutes.

I spent the last 20 minutes on balance beam. I did all of my routine skills and then started doing routines. I did 3 and none of them were particularly good, but it's been a while since I've tried to connect everything together and it's shockingly much more tiring. 😝 I connected two of my acro series, which were just okay. And then, at the very very end of practice, I did 3 back handsprings on the low beam, stared longingly at the high beam, started pacing around, and then just was like WELL WE MIGHT AS WELL. So, I got up and did 2 very scaredy cat back handsprings on the high beam with just the 1 mat (competition style). Neither were very "on" but my hands were on and that is the ONLY THING that matters right now in my fear progression cycle. I went from slowly working down from all 4 mats on Monday to just doing it on the high beam with just one mat on Thursday, and this is a huge personal victory. I need to keep the pressure on in future practices to get this skill really shining and ready to compete without so much mental drama, but this week was truly leaps forward toward that. 🎊

I will note that this was the first practice this season that really highlighted to me how important it's going to be to ramp down my lifting intensity. My body felt perpetually under-recovered since Tuesday and it really lowers both the quality and possible intensity of my workouts. I'm reluctant to push very hard when everything feels kind of off/bad/tired (which is probably the right response!). However, it also highlights that I can work on very specific things that maybe require more mental energy/focus than physical energy even when my body isn't feeling its very best -- which is good to keep in mind because there will surely be days like this ahead, no matter how well I try to balance the two disciplines. 

Lifting: bench 1RM tested - 0/1, double deadlift workouts - 1/2, new program - 0/1

Gymnastics: free hip drills - 1/1, beam back handsprings - 2/1, floor routine - 0/1 

Life: weekday breakfasts out - 0/1, dinners out  - 0/2, bday highlight video -  0/1, CDMX planning - 2/5 

I've successfully made it this week without any breakfast purchases on the way to work. 👍 I also would have normally gone out for food after practice and we didn't do that for either practices this week either, so doing great on the food spending front so far this week. It's about to go to shit this weekend, but I can still appreciate my weekday restraint! 😜

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Running behind, but here for the flippity stuffs and general Raptron craziness.  CONGRATS on the new job by the way!!

10 minutes ago, raptron said:

Neither were very "on" but my hands were on and that is the ONLY THING that matters right now in my fear progression cycle. I went from slowly working down from all 4 mats on Monday to just doing it on the high beam with just one mat on Thursday, and this is a huge personal victory.

This is HUGE!!!!  fighting one's fears is the hardest thing to do, so very proud of you for this and such quick progression.

Anyway, I'll be hiding somewhere in the shadows, but look forward to seeing your progress...with more videos!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge