Akura's Awesomeness Countdown: 9...

Akura

What's up nerds!!

giphy.gif

As per usual I didn't do any Nerd Fitness challenge in the second half of 2019. I want to change that by streamlining the challenges for 2020 and planing them ahead a bit more. To strategise, I wrote down my big goal I want to achieve in 2020:

Lose 10--15 kg
Move more in general
Establish an "active" hobby like swimming/bouldering/dancing etc.
Be more social online (Nerd Fitness, math forums, Go forums, etc.)
Do all Nerd Fitness Challenges
Read 20 books
Learn Polish up to a reasonable proficiency level
Run 10 km
Get married
Publish a game on the Google Play Store

giphy.gif

Now... I'm aware that I won't achieve everything and I probably won't even try to tackle everything. But! I think it's a good list to have in the back of my mind. I thunk I'll carry it with my for every challenge and plan around it a bit... And in order to get started, something light for this first challenge of the year:

Diet

Keeping a (loose) food diary and thinking more about what I consume every day

giphy.gif

Last year I gained 10 kg... time to get rid of them again! On February 1st my fiancée and I are getting married... at least we're doing the ceremony at the registry office. So, it would be amazing if I'd lose a few kilograms until then in order to fit into my suit a bit better. (Church will be in May and I'll get a new suit for that...) Alas, going full low-carb for the next four weeks might not be the best idea right now and probably won't be enough anyway. So, I'll keep it slow and just monitor my food intake for the next weeks as a starting point. In particular, I'm tired of calorie counting and I'll leave it at qualitative observations: maybe Instagram posts, maybe an actual diary...

Exercise

Doing my simple movement routine for back health every day

Going to Lindy Hop lessons every week

Going for a run (at least) once a week

Playing Ring Fit Adventure three times a week.

giphy.gif

After moving to a new flat and being on vacation absolute obliterated my daily routine... and my back. After getting my locked vertebrae fixed (... I don't know the correct English term...) I can move again just fine. But my back still isn't perfect. So, the primal goal is to establish a movement habit. And the first part of it is to restart my morning routine doing back exercises every day.

Last August I started my first Lindy Hop course and I want to continue with part 2. Since my fiancée is at the same dancing club, managing to go to all lessons will be rather easy, I guess...

I want to lose fat and gain muscles. But since I'm not feeling well enough to join a gym again or even do body weight workouts at home, I shift my focus to cardio. In particular, I want to play Ring Fit Adventure -- an awesome fitness game by Nintendo -- regularly. As a bonus challenge I'll try to walk more and do a few exercises throughout the day (Greasing the Groove) but running and the Ring Fit Adventure workouts will be my focus.

Life

Learn something every day

Work something every day

Finish two books

giphy.gif

I want to become a better person. Unfortunately, that's a giant task... So, let's start by taking small steps. "Learning something" will most likely mean Poilsh or Go or just reading random Wikipedia pages. "Working something" will most likely mean working on my mobile game or fixing something in my new flat.

But I also want to do something concrete by reading more. Currently, I'm reading Jackie Chan's auto-biography Never Grow Up and I hope to finish it next week. Then, another book afterwards. As a bonus challenge I'll try to ready The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday each day...

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Following.

What kind of game(s) are you working on to publish on Google Store?

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

On 1/4/2020 at 2:05 AM, Akura said:

Going to Lindy Hop lessons every week

I love this one.  I did Lindy Hop when I was at university and it was not only loads of fun but a really great workout.   With your fiancee going there as well makes it eve better :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 1/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, Akura said:

I want to become a better person.

That can be interpreted in millions of different ways.  Someone could imagine that as being stronger, or wiser, or kinder.  I believe as we strengthen our bodies, we too should take steps to strengthen our minds, and our spirit.  Believe that what you do, has an impact.

I too have been neglecting my online presence.  You could blame that on school, but I miss everybody in the FB group.  That's how I actually found yer post :)

• Like 1

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

On 1/3/2020 at 7:47 PM, Chris Tarly said:

Following.

What kind of game(s) are you working on to publish on Google Store?

A puzzle game with billiard mechanics. Iit's still in a very early stage, but the basic mechanics are done, I guess. A short (and cropped...) demo below:

puzzle_break_06.gif

7 hours ago, Bob the Bardbarian said:

That can be interpreted in millions of different ways. 

Ah... Yeah... True... 😅

7 hours ago, Bob the Bardbarian said:

I too have been neglecting my online presence.  You could blame that on school, but I miss everybody in the FB group.  That's how I actually found yer post :)

That's nice! 👋 My main problem with being social online is that conversations tend to move pretty fast, especially if you're not in an American timezone. So it's a bit tough to follow along...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I had my stag night. (Stag... day...? 😅) My friends and I went to the biggest (only...?) Bavarian Whisky distillery and then to a Sushi restaurant for dinner. It was super fun and I got reasonably drunk. Not too bad but bad enough that my fiancée and I did do much today except for watching Bones and The Witcher. (She had her hen night, too.) In particular, I didn't do much for the challenge...

Diet:

Large breakfast... Bread, eggs, sausages, cheese... Not too bad but certainly too much. Chinese takeaway for lunch. Good quality but definitely too much... Half a pizza for supper because.... Football I guess? 🤷‍♀️🙈 So... not good today...

Movement:

Morning Movement: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Lindy Hop: | - | - | - |

Running: | - | - | - |

Ring fit Adventure: ||| - ||| - ||| - |||

Too lazy and way too tired to do anything...

Life:

Learning: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Working: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Worked my way through a Godot course on Udemy which counts as... working?

• Like 5

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

16 hours ago, Akura said:

my fiancée and I did do much today except for watching Bones and The Witcher.

When those day's arrive they are the best, together on the couch watching shows and relaxing and letting that hangover pass ;) 

That's nice! 👋 My main problem with being social online is that conversations tend to move pretty fast, especially if you're not in an American timezone. So it's a bit tough to follow along...

Same, messages go so freakin fast and when i get get to add something to the conversation, everyone is already done with talking about it :( 

• Like 1
On 1/3/2020 at 1:05 PM, Akura said:

On February 1st my fiancée and I are getting married... at least we're doing the ceremony at the registry office.

Congrats! Having watched friends go through big wedding insanities, the small wedding is the way to go, imo. 

After moving to a new flat and being on vacation absolute obliterated my daily routine... and my back. After getting my locked vertebrae fixed (... I don't know the correct English term...) I can move again just fine. But my back still isn't perfect. So, the primal goal is to establish a movement habit. And the first part of it is to restart my morning routine doing back exercises every day.

Last August I started my first Lindy Hop course and I want to continue with part 2. Since my fiancée is at the same dancing club, managing to go to all lessons will be rather easy, I guess...

Oof. Glad you're feeling better. Did the vertebrae require surgery or was it more muscular? So cool on the Lindy hop thing, and yay for the fiancée being a part of it!

But I also want to do something concrete by reading more. Currently, I'm reading Jackie Chan's auto-biography Never Grow Up and I hope to finish it next week. Then, another book afterwards. As a bonus challenge I'll try to ready The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday each day...

There's a reading challenge thread going on, mostly to track reading and offer suggestions. It does tend to update quickly,  but is not at all a linear conversation, so delayed responses shouldn't be a problem. 

Following. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

10 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

There's a reading challenge thread going on, mostly to track reading and offer suggestions. It does tend to update quickly,  but is not at all a linear conversation, so delayed responses shouldn't be a problem. 

+1 @Akura Sorry, I had thought I'd already posted here about the reading thread; the only criteria is that you want to read! No specific goals necessary. :) 

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

4 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

together on the couch

If only we had a couch! 😅 Our new bed should have arrived at the beginning of December and now we can be happy if it arrives in January... So, our couch is our bed and our floor is our couch... At least we bought an armchair last week...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Did the vertebrae require surgery or was it more muscular?

"Manual correction". Basically twisting my torso and my hip into two different directions. Was surprisingly painful but helped immediately.

So cool on the Lindy hop thing, and yay for the fiancée being a part of it!

She's part of a different course since she's much more advanced than I am; I have some catching-up to do... 😅 But we want to prepare a Lindy-Hop-transition-to-Waltz dancing routine for the wedding... 👀

1 hour ago, Defining said:

Sorry, I had thought I'd already posted here about the reading thread; the only criteria is that you want to read! No specific goals necessary. :) 

I'm already following that one! 😁 Saw Defining's post on Manarelle's thread...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

Diet:

Typical weekend breakfast (we had a Holiday here in Germany today...): Scrambled eggs with sausages, a bit of cheese and two (large, soft) pretzels. Not too bad, but I realised that I ate until I was full. Not something I should do early in the morning... Since I know about my cardiovascular problems I always feel more comfortable with high blood sugar even though I'm fully aware that low blood sugar doesn't cause dizziness and fainting. Guess I have to dial back my breakfast calories slowly...

After my run in the afternoon I ate my usual post-workout meal: Yogurt with oatmeal and a couple of other things... Portion size was fine but soon afterwards I felt miserable: Exhausted and sick to my stomach... I guess it was the excess coffee in the afternoon, but I have to keep observing...

Supper was Tortellini with various vegetables...

Movement:

+1 Morning Movement: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Lindy Hop: | - | - | - |

+1 Running: | - | - | - |

Ring Fit Adventure: ||| - ||| - ||| - |||

Went for a run. It's quite tough to find good routes in my new neighbourhood since I have zero intuition for how long a street is... My current route is pretty much 2 km so that'll be good for running several rounds. However, it might get boring once I can run 10 km... Also, my fitness tracker told me I ran the fastest mile since I started recording. Yay! (Only 13:39 though... 😅)

In the morning I wasn't feeling that well, but I managed the motivation to do my movement routine.

Life:

Learning: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Working: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Spent the better part of the morning reading Jackie Chan's biography and playing Rocket League... Wanted to do a lot more, but considering that it's my last vacation day it's okay..I also worked quite a bit through the Godot course on Udemy but I didn't feel like wokr today...

Tomorrow when work starts it will be the proper start of the challenge! At least when it comes to habit building...

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Instagram food log

Also, my fitness tracker told me I ran the fastest mile since I started recording.

Woohoo!  Congratulations! 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

18 hours ago, Akura said:

"Manual correction". Basically twisting my torso and my hip into two different directions. Was surprisingly painful but helped immediately.

O.o Yikes, but yay for immediate relief. 

18 hours ago, Akura said:

Went for a run. It's quite tough to find good routes in my new neighbourhood since I have zero intuition for how long a street is... My current route is pretty much 2 km so that'll be good for running several rounds. However, it might get boring once I can run 10 km... Also, my fitness tracker told me I ran the fastest mile since I started recording. Yay! (Only 13:39 though... 😅)

"Only"..... As someone who doesn't run, that still impressive. Glad you had a good holiday weekend, and still got goal things done!

• Like 1

Okay... okay... okay... I got totally wrecked by the first week of work after my vacation.

giphy.gif

Tuesday was the first day back and of course I didn't sleep at all the night before. During the day I had a minor anxiety attack, and so I cancelled the Lindy Hop lessons for the evening. But then I realised that the advanced courses only have one possible date per week, whereas the beginners courses had two. So I couldn't even skip over to an alternative date... So I'll probably start lessons in February I guess... 🤷

Moreover, I usually came home so late that I was way too tired to play Ring Fit Adventure or to do anything else meaningful...

giphy.gif

Diet-wise... I failed? Even though I have no real goal...? Anyway... I ate a few "bad" things -- muffins, crisps, pizza, burger -- but overall it wasn't too bad. Mostly the base problem of "too much" though. Still, any hope of wearing my suit comfortably for my wedding is gone. Maybe I'll try to go low-carb next week... or I simply buy a new one.

giphy.gif

On the plus side... I finished two podcasts, I finished Jackie Chan's auto-biography and I did my movement routine every morning. Moreover, I had a quite satisfying run this morning. And I had two lovely nights out with my fiancée. (Hence the pizza and burger...) At least today I managed to have an appropriately sized breakfast around noon after my run.

Another major point that stressed me out was, as always, thinking about the challenge here! In particular, thinking about having to write something, anything... Admitting that I failed is less of a problem, but the act itself of coming here is exhausting...?

giphy.gif

Be as it may... I need to change something... I guess the diet task are fine; only observing not judging... And my movement tasks are pretty low-key except for the fact that they are many of them. So change that? Focusing more on EITHER diet OR movement? Also... I should specify a bit more what "working" and "learning" means...? Optimise my time commuting to work...? Use a habit tracker on my phone during the week and only post here on the weekend...?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Instagram food log

So... I decided to dial down my challenge a bit... Basically I'll aim to do the same things as before, but I will evaluate everything qualitatively. The goal will be to make one good diet decision, one good movement decision and one good "character-building" decision each day. So... let's go!

giphy.gif

Diet:

Had a good breakfast with bread rolls, cold cuts and cheese. Maybe a bit too much bread, but ok. In the afternoon I had half a Krapfen: a German pastry filled with jam. The best English translation is... Doughnut? Cruller? Bismarck....? 🤷‍♀️ Later I had a piece of bread with salami. And supper was salmon, potatoes and various vegetables.

Overall not amazing, but certainly not bad!

Exercise:

Played Ring Fit Adventure in the morning and felt pretty exhausted afterwards. Throughout the day I did quite a few chin-/pull-ups. Unfortunately, a lot of sitting in the afternoon.

Life:

Read a lot in the morning: The "perfect edition" reprint of the thriller/crime manga Monster by Naoki Urasawa. And I started to work on my puzzle game again. Fixed some bugs and added a few new things

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Instagram food log

1 hour ago, Akura said:

Diet:

Had a good breakfast with bread rolls, cold cuts and cheese. Maybe a bit too much bread, but ok. In the afternoon I had half a Krapfen: a German pastry filled with jam. The best English translation is... Doughnut? Cruller? Bismarck....? 🤷‍♀️

American's would most likely call these 'jelly doughnuts'.... To me, a Polish-American (not born there, but ancestors) we call these Paczki.

Definitely not a bad day when these are involved... but you might consider taking the stairs over the elevator for the next week. Or add some burpees to your workout or somthing ;) 

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

21 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

American's would most likely call these 'jelly doughnuts'.... To me, a Polish-American (not born there, but ancestors) we call these Paczki.

Oh, when I'm in Poland the next time I'll try some!

but you might consider taking the stairs

I do that anyway... My usual plan of being more active at work is taking frequent walking breaks.

Or add some burpees to your workout or somthing

Yeah... Something like that... Burpees aren't the best exercises considering my back problems, even though I really love them overall!

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

Diet:

Had a slightly larger breakfast than usual: a croissant with ham and cheese two eggs. Lunch was "salad" which today consisted of many leftover from yesterdays meals at the cafeteria. So... a bit of fried pork and also egg salad... But definitely a lot of veggies! Plus a bagel. In the afternoon I wanted to have sugar. So I had some biscuits. Not a full bag, only a few, so that's my ... good... diet... decision...? 🙈 Dinner was meatballs with potatoes, carrots, button mushrooms and zucchini. A bit much, but I wasn't stuffed.

Exercise:

Wanted to go for a walk around campus in the afternoon but then I was so absorbed in work that I forgot. I might have had enough time for a short Ring Fit Adventure session, but my fiancée and I contemplated about going to Ikea to get a couch. (We didn't...)

Life:

Went to my GP to get a new referral to a psychotherapist. (Got one the week before Christmas, but I couldn't get an appointment in the old quarter of the yea,r so I need a new referral... German bureaucracy...) I also managed to make a stable build of my game and sent it to a friend for pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha testing. Moreover, I spend quite a bit of time on a math problems with my colleagues. I might have neglected my actual work a bit... but that's okay. No deadline or anything similar right now... Finally, I finished the second volume of Monster.

• Like 2

Instagram food log

1 hour ago, Akura said:

Oh, when I'm in Poland the next time I'll try some!

To the best of my knowledge, Paczki are really only seen around fat Tuesday since the tradition came from finding a way to use up all the sugar, cream, butter, and flour left in the house before lent began. Other times of the year you'd probably only find them on occasion by chance. In about a month however...

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

23 hours ago, Akura said:

Went to my GP to get a new referral to a psychotherapist. (Got one the week before Christmas, but I couldn't get an appointment in the old quarter of the yea,r so I need a new referral... German bureaucracy...)

/facepalm. Still, grats on getting that done. 

• Like 1

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

Diet:

Had a bagel with cheese for breakfast. Then two biscuits... Lunch was a bit heavy... potato salad, meat loaf and a few other things from the buffet at the new-year's party at work. I had some stomach problems throughout the day... (Maybe induced by the red wine two days ago...? 🤷‍♀️) So I had a soft pretzel with butter on my way home. (Somehow carbs always help to calm my guts...) Supper were fried potatoes and eggs plus spinach.

Nothing too bad, but probably too much. Calorie counting might be a good idea right now... But I'm not sure I'd be able to stick with it right now...

Exercise:

Did a Ring Fit Adventure session after getting home from work. I increased the difficulty a little and it felt better than last time. My fiancée did also a session of her own when she got home. Maybe we can establish it as a habit as a way to recover from sitting at desks at work all day...

Life:

In the morning I worked a tiny bit on my game instead of just sitting around... I started the audiobook of Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson... I managed to get an appointment with a psychotherapist (for Jan 27).

And I tried to start to learn to play Toss A Coin To Your Witcher on the guitar... But it's much harder than expected and I haven't touched my guitar in three months. So... only a few minutes of practice...

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

Diet:

Had a croissant with ham and cheese plus two eggs for breakfast. Throughout the day I wanted to get chocolate a couple of times, but I managed to resist. Lunch was a salad with pulled pork. After my workout I had a yoghurt with oatmeal and protein powder. And supper was soup with chicken, fennel, parsnips, carrots and potatoes.

All in all it was definitely too much, but everything was reasonably healthy, I guess.

I also started to weigh myself in the morning. Let's see how that goes... 🤔

Exercise:

Wanted to go for a run after work... But I was getting dark (the only drawback to winter...) and I had stomach problems throughout the afternoon. (I guess the pineapple in the salad...) So I did a Ring Fit Adventure session instead. After another increase in difficulty I'm at 25 squats per set and I'll definitely regret that tomorrow... 😅

Life:

Nothing really... Spent quite a bit of time at work talking with my colleagues about a specific math problem and I went to a regular meeting about various topics on teaching at university. It's both definitely just work.... but maybe it should count here...? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

Diet:

Today I bought a new suit for my wedding in two weeks because I'm too fat for my old one... and then...
I...
went...
to...
MacDonald's for lunch...!!!
I know that a single meal doesn't matter and that I gained the 10kg over the last one-and-a-half-years... but I still feel like an arsehole.

Breakfast was an egg sandwich and dinner a pizza... So... yeah... definitely way too much.

Exercise:

I'm super sore because of the workouts the last few days... So, a rest day today...

Life:

Met a friend for dinner... Apart from that, nothing "meaningful" today.

• Like 3

Instagram food log

17 hours ago, Akura said:

I know that a single meal doesn't matter and that I gained the 10kg over the last one-and-a-half-years... but I still feel like an arsehole.

Breakfast was an egg sandwich and dinner a pizza... So... yeah... definitely way too much.

Think about that feeling the next time you're tempted to go. The McD's over here have salads, would that be an option where you are for when you find yourself in one? 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, Akura said:

Calorie counting might be a good idea right now... But I'm not sure I'd be able to stick with it right now...

Would it help to try calorie counting, but just to establish a baseline, not to try to change it? It's hard, because you see the numbers and want to change them, but if you just track without changing anything, it gives you a good idea of where you're starting from. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:28 AM, Akura said:

I...
went...
to...
MacDonald's

Seconding what Manarelle said - If you can remember the feeling you had after you finished and it will help fight against the cravings when they come up next time.  

Level 2 Ninja

On 1/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, Manarelle said:

Would it help to try calorie counting, but just to establish a baseline, not to try to change it?

I guess... My problem right now is that the whole process of tracking seems annoying. Especially since I often buy my breakfast and lunch, so I have no idea which and how many ingredients there are in it. And guessing doesn't really help. I might have to figure something out...

So... I had a couple of very bad days... On Friday morning I woke up at 3:30 with terrible pain in my chest and neck. And after getting up, it quickly spread to my abdomen and kidney area. I went to the bathroom a couple of times and spend the rest of the night sitting in front of the telly. Later I felt better and went to work. It went fine but in the evening the pain got much, much worse. I was close to calling an ambulance, but it got better.

Over time my stomach made itself more noticeable and I had to use the bathroom much more often than usual. However, no typical symptoms of either stomach bug, food poisoning or appendicitis. (My top three guesses...) Especially, on Saturday it was mostly fine, but I was still sitting around the whole weekend  doing little. In retrospect, it felt like an extreme version of what my body does when I digest too much fructose... On Wednesday I have an appointment with my GP anyway and I'll talk it over with her...

On a positive note... I signed up for a free trial session at the gym next to my gym. I haven't been to a gym since I slipped a disk in 2015...

• Like 1

Instagram food log