Akura's Awesomeness Countdown: 9...

Akura

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

Diet:

Still some minor stomach problems, but it seems to be mostly fine now. I'm also back at my standard diet... Bagel with cheese for breakfast, salad with bread roll for lunch. And tortellini with meatballs, mushrooms and zucchini for dinner. Plus two chocolates; as a treat.

Exercise:

Stressful day at work... Getting home late... But I did my morning movement routine again after not being in the mood the last few days with stomach pains...

Had some minor back pain throughout the day; but on my way home via train I had to stand for about half an hour and it was fine.

Life:

On the train to work and back I worked on my Rubik's Cube skill. And I listened to Quicksilver more; I'm halfway through.

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

On 1/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, Akura said:

I guess... My problem right now is that the whole process of tracking seems annoying. Especially since I often buy my breakfast and lunch, so I have no idea which and how many ingredients there are in it. And guessing doesn't really help. I might have to figure something out...

If your breakfast/lunch is in a package with a barcode you can scan it with MyFitnessPal and it will automatically put everything in. Makes it a whole lot easier to track stuff.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, Akura said:

So... I had a couple of very bad days... On Friday morning I woke up at 3:30 with terrible pain in my chest and neck. And after getting up, it quickly spread to my abdomen and kidney area. I went to the bathroom a couple of times and spend the rest of the night sitting in front of the telly. Later I felt better and went to work. It went fine but in the evening the pain got much, much worse. I was close to calling an ambulance, but it got better.

OH NO! Good luck at your GP and i hope this was something "small".

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

If your breakfast/lunch is in a package with a barcode you can scan it with MyFitnessPal and it will automatically put everything in. Makes it a whole lot easier to track stuff.

Eh... I buy my breakfast at a bakery and lunch is usually salad from a buffet...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's mood...

giphy.gif

In the afternoon I had a check-up with my GP: sonogram was fine; EKG was fine. Blood analysis mostly, too. Slightly elevated triglycerides and calcium though... I guess I love yogurt a bit too much.... 😅 Nothing serious, but I might need to start tracking my food intake again...

And since all the above was fine, she also concluded that my stomach problems on the weekend were just a stomach bug despite me having none of the typical symptoms... 🤷‍♀️

(What was funny: the assistant apologised a dozen times for having to shave my chest for the EKG... 😅)

Diet:

Yogurt with oatmeal for breakfast. Some Frankfurters plus a ham-and-cheese croissant for post-workout/lunch. A soft pretzel with butter in the afternoon... And tilapia with fennel, potatoes and broccoli for supper. Overall probably a bit too much. But I was very hungry after my workout...

Exercise:

This morning I had the trail session at the gym next to work. Was a bit hard to find, since it is in the basement of a big building surrounded by construction sites... We did the usual: Elliptical for warm-up. Then about six machine exercises for various body parts. Then some cardio again... Basically just getting to know the gym itself.

Interesting take-away: During warm-up my heart rate was around 135 bpm which I also have when running. But after the workout my bpm was consistently below 130 even after another 20 minutes on the elliptical with higher speed. So... I probably should do some intense body weight exercises before going for a run...?

Anyway, I subscribed to the gym and will have an appointment for designing a training routine on February 5th.

Also, I slipped while stepping out of the shower, but I aced the landing on one foot after a 180. Ha!

Life:

Practiced the guitar for five minutes and worked a bit on my game...

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Diet:

Started to track my food intake again... and I found a nice app with a user-filled database which also allows scanning barcodes. So, thanks @Grandkai_NL for the suggestion! And so far, my calories look good. I'm not entirely sure what my TDEE is, primarily because most calculators give different results. But it's about 2500 kcal, so I'm aiming at the range of 1900--2100. And the last two days I was at 2081 and 2012 kcal, respectively.

What still confuses me is the macro split. Especially, since most calculators suggest about 170 g of protein and I struggle to even get past 100... Also, I'm feeling more comfortable with fewer carbs than suggested... But the first few weeks I'll mostly observe what's going on  and won't worry about macros...

Exercise:

Yesterday we got home quite late, and I was too lazy to move. I'm really looking forward to going to the gym; then I get the workouts easily done in the morning before work...

Today I wanted to play Ring Fit Adventure for a bit after work; but the bed we ordered back in October was finally delivered, and so I spend the better part of the evening assembling it. Wasn't complicated, but took quite some time... (And FYI: It's a futon bed which will hopefully partially help with my back problems.) So, quite some movement, but not as intense as I hoped...

Life:

Nothing except listening to Quicksilver and playing around with my Rubik's cube a bit...

• Like 2

Instagram food log

Diet:

Decided to worry less about my diet on the weekend... Still the piece of cake and the two cheeseburgers yesterday were a mistake. but I lost almost 2kg in the last two weeks so that's something.

Also, I got my suit for my wedding next Saturday back from the tailor. The pants sit perfectly... But somehow the jacket is too big now!!!? Around the waist!!!!!??? I'm super confused and a bit annoyed. Maybe dieting was a mistake after all... 😅

Exercise:

Meh... Helped a friend to study for a big math exam next week so there was little time to do much else. And then I was lazy on top of that...

Life:

Nothing really... Maybe 5 minutes of Rubik's cube practice.... At least I finished the audiobook of Quicksilver on my 3-hour drive to my friend and back home yesterday... If I manage to read the first Firefly novel next week, I would have managed to finish 7 books in January (including a few comics/mangas...)

• Like 2

Instagram food log

On 1/25/2020 at 4:49 AM, Akura said:

What still confuses me is the macro split. Especially, since most calculators suggest about 170 g of protein

You are hardly alone in this (as evidence please refer to the entire protein supplement industry). I have found that ideas for protein from the vegetarian/vegan community are pretty good for upping the protein numbers as needed

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

15 hours ago, Akura said:

Meh... Helped a friend to study for a big math exam next week so there was little time to do much else. And then I was lazy on top of that...

you helped a friend study, i wouldnt call that being lazy ;)  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You are hardly alone in this (as evidence please refer to the entire protein supplement industry). I have found that ideas for protein from the vegetarian/vegan community are pretty good for upping the protein numbers as needed

Yeah... I definitely have to look into vegetarian protein sources... When it comes to vegetables I simply go by "as many green vegetables as possibles" due to my fructose intolerance. so, I don't even think about stuff like legumes except for very specific dishes...

And I don't think that protein supplements are bad per se as long as they are used moderately without thinking they are a magic fix to all problems.

8 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

you helped a friend study, i wouldnt call that being lazy ;)  

Eh... well... The help itself was fine, but lasted four hours each day. I really should have moved a bit or done anything afterwards though....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had the first appointment with a new therapist today; a behavioral psychologist for a change. Let's see where that'll go...

Diet:

Had a super late breakfast due to the therapy. And then I skipped lunch because of work. In the end I had 2094kcal. Had four eggs after my workout, so my protein intake is finally above 100g today. Alas, more fat than I planned due to me using both pure olive oil and pesto, which contains olive oil, for dinner. Thankfully, nutrition only cares about long-term trends...

Exercise:

A relatively short session of Ring Fit Adventure. I might need to dial down the difficulty in order to work out longer. At least as long as I'm playing the adventure mode...

But it went really well considering I skipped lunch. Not sure how I will handle gym workouts in the future, when I want to do them in the morning. I'm no fan of an early breakfast, but fasted workouts might be too tough... Will depend on the intensity I guess... 🤷‍♀️

Life:

Started reading Big Damn Hero. Okay writing so far, but the first chapter consisted entirely of references to specific scenes in the Firefly show. Let's hope that will subside towards the middle of the book and especially in future volumes.

• Like 2

Instagram food log

20 hours ago, Akura said:

Started reading Big Damn Hero. Okay writing so far, but the first chapter consisted entirely of references to specific scenes in the Firefly show. Let's hope that will subside towards the middle of the book and especially in future volumes.

Dude. Did not know this existed. Thank you. How'd you feel about the psychologist? Any sense of connection there?

20 hours ago, Akura said:

A relatively short session of Ring Fit Adventure. I might need to dial down the difficulty in order to work out longer. At least as long as I'm playing the adventure mode...

But it went really well considering I skipped lunch. Not sure how I will handle gym workouts in the future, when I want to do them in the morning. I'm no fan of an early breakfast, but fasted workouts might be too tough... Will depend on the intensity I guess... 🤷‍♀️

Good luck, you weird morning workout person. :) I never feel completely awake until a couple hours after getting up - can't imagine trying to coordinate muscles and tendons and stuff that early. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Dude. Did not know this existed.

Ah... yes... I guess I wrote about it in the Reading Challenge thread but not here... It is a bit campy, but so far I can highly recommend it!

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

How'd you feel about the psychologist? Any sense of connection there?

Not sure... I really loved my old therapist, so it's hard to open up. We'll have another four free sessions before we have to ask my insurance for more; so that will enough time to find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diet:

Had some chocolates my friend gave me on Sunday for helping studying. So... Too many calories today. On the plus side: I didn't eat all of them on Sunday, but took my time to have just a few each day. From a different perspective: I had a rice bowl with salmon and avocado for lunch a got my me some Gyoza extra. If I had left them out, everything would be god. (Except for the sugar...)

So... A bit lax today, but mostly fine.

Exercise:

Did a Ring Fit Adventure session... which focused on leg exercises. Squats get very nasty very fast when you're doing little else... 😅 The next session will focus on arm exercises, thankfully.

Moreover, throughout the day my back felt better. No stiffness in the morning,  I could sit on the train without using the back rest for quite some time, and while grocery shopping and carrying them home I had zero problems despite carrying my backpack on top of the grocery bag. Now I know that a single sample point doesn't say much... But I think the futon bed might actually work as intended... 🤷‍♀️

Life:

Left work a little early in order to do a bit of work for the Go Association (got elected to be a board member back in September...) and to practice the guitar a bit... But now it's 20 o'clock and I haven't done any of that. Now... Will I spend the evening with my fiancée or with something "productive"... 🤔 Probably a bit of both...

• Like 1

Instagram food log

So.... I got married on Saturday!! Hence, a lot of bad food choices; especially a lot of Bavarian food which means meat and gravy and maybe some potatoes... Tomorrow I'll be back at the office and back on track. Overall, I gained 1 or 2 kg...

Movement-wise it was pretty tough since the bed in our hotel was way too soft and caused massive back pains on Saturday. Collapsing on the hotel floor due to pain is not the ideal way to spend your wedding day... But now it's fine again. We went to a spa and the hot (40°C/104°F) and cold (16°C/61°F) pools helped a lot. Moreover, I'm back on my futon bed and today we had a Thai massage. A bit uncomfortable, since it was my first time, but it helped quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Instagram food log

200.webp?cid=790b76116a339002fae5c7cca66

Congrats! The photos are amazing and you two look so happy together. :) Sorry to hear about the bed being a problem, glad you got it sorted. Is the church wedding just for family/ formality, then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Congrats! The photos are amazing and you two look so happy together. :) 

Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Is the church wedding just for family/ formality, then?

Eh... In Germany, it's a bit complicated... The registry office is mandatory and the only thing that legally counts. Getting married at church requires that the registry office was done beforehand; otherwise it's independent. And usually, both ceremonies are close together: In the same week or, if you're a masochist, on the same day. But more and more couples spread them further apart.

Here in Bavaria, Church (or a similar non-religious ceremony) is much more culturally important, has many more guests and is followed by a big party. The registry office is done in 15 minutes and is usually only followed by a lunch with the guests. So... Church is more the spiritual step and the "proper" celebration whereas the registry office is, for the most part, just red tape.

I myself am not a big fan of the Catholic Church as an institution... But I like the rituals, traditions and teachings of the actual religion. So, doing it for the family (especially for my Polish in-laws) plays a part; but it's still very important for both of us.

Diet:

After my workout I wolfed down a ham-and-chesse croissant plus three eggs and later I had a cutlet sandwich for lunch. One of these pushed me over my calorie goal; at least when we don't count the workout calories... I also had a protein bar as a test. I might have one as a treat on gym days in the future...

A colleague brought Krapfen (German jelly doughnuts) to the office to celebrate her birthday and I had none! So that's something... 💪

Exercise:

Had my first proper gym workout in many years... The trainer built a plan for me that focuses on my back and only uses machines. I might change that up sooner than later... But for now that's fine as long as I do my calisthenics/Yoga/aerobic stuff at home on the other days... But I'd like to incorporate free weights as much as possible. No rush though... 😅

Life:

Helped to substitute for a colleague at work who had a sore throat and couldn't teach. Actual work done after my micro-honeymoon...? I maybe answered three e-mails...?

Designed (the first draft for) a logo for the Judo association a friend of mine is working for. Now I need to get some guitar practice in before the clock hits 10...

• Like 1

Instagram food log

13 minutes ago, Akura said:

In the same week or, if you're a masochist, on the same day. But more and more couples spread them further apart.

🤣 Yeah same day sounds like a recipe for uber-stress-not-fun-ness. 

Good plan, then, on separating them, and cool that you get to have a big bash for the family and friends. 

21 minutes ago, Akura said:

A colleague brought Krapfen (German jelly doughnuts) to the office to celebrate her birthday and I had none! So that's something... 💪

+1 billion to willpower....

• Like 1

Diet:

Had my usual cheese bagel for breakfast and a rather meager salad with some meatballs and a bread roll for lunch. However, had a post-workout yogurt and some chocolates truffles for dessert. (My colleagues' wedding gift alongside a bottle of prosecco.) Dinner itself was fired vegetables with black whole-grain rice. Very interesting but I'm not entirely convinced...

Overall, just a bit over my calorie goal which is probably okay since I worked out. But my macros are obviously way off due to the sweets....

Exercise:

I have absolutely zero muscle soreness after my workout yesterday, so I decided to do a Ring Fit Adventure session. I decreased the difficulty quite a bit which I didn't like too much... But when I want to do this next to gym days, it's probably for the better.

Life:

Somehow I wasn't able to read the clock properly, so I made dinner too late. Not much time left for meaningful work now... Will mend my jeans (both with holes in the crotch for whatever reason... 🤷‍♀️) while watching Sabrina with my wife... maybe add a few guitar practice minutes...

And I finally continued reading Big Damn Hero. Wanted to finish it in January, but the last week was kinda busy...

• Like 1

Instagram food log

So... The last few days had been a bit challenging...

On Friday we had a big team meeting where we discussed the future of our project. It lasted close to five hours... And since this was a good opportunity to see everyone from my team, I brought Krapfen (German jelly doughnuts) for everyone. I wanted to eat only one... But ended up with four... 😑 And in the evening we went to a Bavarian restaurant...

And yesterday my wife and I were invited to a wedding party in an Irish Pub...

Thinking about doing a challenge recap...But I might just do that at the beginning of the next one...

• Like 2

Instagram food log

On 2/9/2020 at 6:35 AM, Akura said:

On Friday we had a big team meeting where we discussed the future of our project. It lasted close to five hours...

O.o That's a long-@ss meeting. I'm not saying it's ok, but I can definitely see where you'd go through 4 donuts in that amount of time, especially if they aren't really long-term filling. 

On 2/9/2020 at 6:35 AM, Akura said:

And yesterday my wife and I were invited to a wedding party in an Irish Pub...

Irish pubs don't count toward anything. They are places of happiness and calories don't exist in them. (Disclaimer: I might be slightly biased here.)

Looking forward to the next one!