• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bdwilson

BD Starts Over

Took wound up not cooking on Saturday as well as on Friday. Oops!

But I did make the Seafood Chowder today.

Spoiler

It was okay. I eyeball some of the ingredients, which hasn't been a problem with the casseroles, but when I did the same thing with the soup I wound up with a much higher components to broth ratio than I prefer. I added more cream and broth near the end, but I think it still worked. Wasn't as effective as I thought, though.

SeafoodChowder.JPG.1f5dd87b216fc05b396d501b74754162.JPG

Did not declutter this weekend either, as I got wrapped up in a different thing. I might have to try scattering it in small pieces throughout the week.

• Like 1

You're becoming quite the homecook! Everything you made looks very good, you've got your presentation spot on :).

3 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Did not declutter this weekend either, as I got wrapped up in a different thing. I might have to try scattering it in small pieces throughout the week.

It's amazing how much you can do in just 10 minutes, which is the amount of time I usually spend on irregular chores I really don't want to do.

Way to go!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, Waanie said:

You're becoming quite the homecook! Everything you made looks very good, you've got your presentation spot on :).

Thank you so much! I admit, knowing I'm going to take a picture of it means I'm not just slapping it down on the plate *lol*

Last night I got absorbed in something, so I just pulled one of the casseroles out of the freezer and added a salad on the side. I spent hours trying to solve a problem, then when I was 3/4 of the way there I stumbled across something that would by-pass it with a five-second fix.

/headdesk

I'd still like to get it to work the way I was trying, but given this was blocking something more important I'm going to do the more important thing first. 

Since I also forgot to check-in last night, due to being absorbed in problem-solving, my Beeminder goal for that has turned blue. D'oh! I'm going to have to make sure I check in everyday this week, now 😝

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I spent hours trying to solve a problem, then when I was 3/4 of the way there I stumbled across something that would by-pass it with a five-second fix.

I know this feeling, and it's always so frustrating! I'm glad you found it though, since the by-pass is probably easier to understand and less bug-prone ;).

5 hours ago, Waanie said:

I know this feeling, and it's always so frustrating! I'm glad you found it though, since the by-pass is probably easier to understand and less bug-prone ;).

You're right. I might never go back to the other, but at least it's working now.

It was warmer yesterday, so I went for a walk. Also because I needed to drop some things in the mail. The Pokestops I usually hit are in the other directions so I wasn't going to open the game, but them I remembered there was another not far up from the mailbox and hit it instead. Then I decided to do a loop and hit another. Neither gave me friend gifts, though 🥺 I've now sent out all I've got, so I might have to hit some stops soon. Wish I didn't have to both with crossing some annoying roads to get to any of the near ones, though.

Anyway, cooked yesterday!

Spoiler

This time it was Keto pork chops with blue-cheese sauce, though with some substitutions. I don't like Blue Cheese, which is probably why I "forgot" to buy it, but I had Goat Cheese left over from the frittata last week and that worked just fine. I also used a BBQ rub on the chops instead of just salt and pepper, because I have one for this, too.

PorkChop.JPG.c0878b38b73dadd631814f118fe5cd7b.JPG

Oh, and I used frozen instead of fresh green beans, and I think I'm just going to do that with some of the staple veggies from now on. I bought fresh cauliflower last week and I have fresh broccoli this week, but I don't know if I'm going to use all of it up. If nothing has cauliflower before the end of the week, I might sub a different meal in so I can use it up. 

And a morning check-in today as well! I think might try that from now on. Makes it less likely I'll forget 😋

• Like 1

Awesomesauce! I usually sub frozen veggies for fresh ones, as they are so much easier, keep longer and are generally somewhat healthier as well. You lose some of the crisp, but looking at the colour of your beans you like them well-cooked anyway ;). That sauce looks ridiculously easy, I will try it out some time when I have leftover goats cheese :).

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:48 AM, Waanie said:

looking at the colour of your beans you like them well-cooked anyway ;)

*LOL* Yes! I think I probably over-cook everything, but I'm terrible at telling when things are done and am worried about under-cooking 😝 It works out that I don't mind.

I went for a walk again yesterday, so that's three for the week. I have an errand to run today, so that should make sure I have one today, too. I might make my seven day streak here.

I meal planned for next week. Oddly, the series I'm going through for this switched from the pattern of eating left-overs for lunch. Maybe because they're planning Intermittent Fasting into it, since all of the "lunches" seem to be breakfasts (eggs and such). Anyway, I changed all that, and moved a few of the items earlier in the week, since they'll use stuff I already have in the fridge and would like to use up as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, I liked yesterday's dinner a lot better than I'd expected.

Spoiler

It's Keto cheesy meatballs with cauliflower slaw though with white cheddar instead of orange, as I had some already.

Meatballs.JPG.499c93061f1f51a5711a6340b83ebace.JPG

I was skeptical about the slaw, since the only slaw I know is coleslaw and I don't like it, but it was really good. Also, it let me use up all the cauliflower I had left over, so hooray!

Oh! And I managed a side-quest yesterday, and cleared out my "read/do later" files in my email. So maybe I can get on with the physical decluttering now the digital decluttering is done 😝

• Like 1

No decluttering yesterday, but I did get in a walk.

I'm running out of time on that last one. I need to see what I can do this weekend, though it's reasonably booked already.

Spoiler

Dinner yesterday was Creamy keto fish casserole and it was okay. I didn't put in capers, or anything to replace them, so I don't know if that would've helped, but as was it was pretty boring. I'm going to dump on some lemon juice for my lunch today and see if that helps, but I expect this one won't start on my list.

WhiteFish.JPG.1d16d0f53b0edfd44b863c3d9ffcc405.JPG

Prepping it wasn't too bad, but I think I burnt the broccoli a bit 😆

No cooking tonight, but I'm going to try harder to order something in a keto/low-carb style. Unless we order pizza again 😝

• Like 1

I did not order low carb 😝 It was good, though. 

Anyway, I've decided the decluttering for this month is the stuff I've already broken down, so check-in time!

Start Meal Planning

• Figure out a planning schedule
  • Create the planning tasks in Habitica
  • Plan a week
  • Plan a second week
  • Plan a third week

Walk Every Day

• Schedule a daily walk for the weekdays
  • Schedule a daily walk for the weekends
  • Go for one walk
  • Get a three day streak
  • Get a five day streak
  • Get a seven day streak

Create a Decluttering Plan

• Figure out what areas need to be tackled
  • Break down each area into smaller tasks
  • Work through those tasks

My "weekend schedule" for walking is not so much a schedule as a "work it in around other plans" deal, but I think that's the best way to do it. I have a few standard things scheduled on the weekend, but not many, so not matter what plan I set, I'll have to adjust it week-by-week. Best to just plan for that so I don't worry about it. I'll be going for a walk in about an hour and a half here for today. Then tomorrow I'll hopefully get back to the Farmer's Market finally, so that'll take care of that and net me my seventh walk this week. Yay! 

• Like 1

Hrm. Ordered take-out again yesterday. It's good, but I should probably not do that more than once a week.

Still no decluttering either, but played a board-game with my brothers, a long one, so I'm giving myself a pass on that. Might not make it tonight either, since I'm watching the Royal Rumble and have a bunch of errands to run before it starts, but I'll see.

Likely no cooking tonight either. I should grab something from the grocery store instead of take-out again...

• Like 2

I should've put "stick to the plan" on my meal plan list 😋

Anyway, no grocery run yesterday and junk food for the show, so I'm feeling kinda blah on the food side.

I think I'm going to tweak my plan for the week, too, and use up the stuff in the fridge already. I've got things for meals I wound up skipping in there as well as the planned stuff, so I should be able to get through the week. Either way, I can clear out the fridge.

I'm starting to look forward to the next challenge and I think I need to look at exercise and nutrition for that one. Not sure, but I'm pondering it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I should've put "stick to the plan" on my meal plan list 😋

Haha you and me both

2 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I think I'm going to tweak my plan for the week, too, and use up the stuff in the fridge already. I've got things for meals I wound up skipping in there as well as the planned stuff, so I should be able to get through the week. Either way, I can clear out the fridge.

Yassss do it! Adaptability is a great skill to have :) And if you already have the things then you save money. Sounds like a win win to me.

What exercise were you thinking? I was looking at darebee workouts and I think the Foundation Lite one sounds my speed so I am doing things but I am not killing myself.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Good plan! Decluttering the fridge and not wasting food at the same time :).

15 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I'm starting to look forward to the next challenge and I think I need to look at exercise and nutrition for that one. Not sure, but I'm pondering it.

Great! Whatever you do, keep it small though. We don't want you to disappear again ;). Have you thought about some very basic bodyweight training? It takes only a little time (you can go down as low as 15 minutes initially), and makes life much more comfortable. If you'd like to try it out, you can start with e.g. three sets of wall/inclined push-ups, three sets of standing towel rows, three sets of your level squats and your favourite core exercise, and that's it. There are plenty of other options of course, and strength training might not be for you. Just be careful to look whether "beginner" exercise programs are for actual beginners, or more for people who've been generally fit their whole life without working out. I'll now stop giving out unasked-for advice :P.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, Rookie said:

What exercise were you thinking? I was looking at darebee workouts and I think the Foundation Lite one sounds my speed so I am doing things but I am not killing myself.

19 hours ago, Waanie said:

Great! Whatever you do, keep it small though. We don't want you to disappear again ;). Have you thought about some very basic bodyweight training? It takes only a little time (you can go down as low as 15 minutes initially), and makes life much more comfortable. If you'd like to try it out, you can start with e.g. three sets of wall/inclined push-ups, three sets of standing towel rows, three sets of your level squats and your favourite core exercise, and that's it. There are plenty of other options of course, and strength training might not be for you. Just be careful to look whether "beginner" exercise programs are for actual beginners, or more for people who've been generally fit their whole life without working out. I'll now stop giving out unasked-for advice :P.

Thank you both for the suggestions! I haven't thought farther than "I need to do something" so that's quite useful 😊

I'll look up darebee and some simple body weight things. I think I'd like to start with something quick that I can do in the mornings. I think part of my next challenge will be easing back into a regular routine.

I had errands to run this morning, so forgot to check-in earlier. I'm going to try and check-in tomorrow morning, though, so "m going to post yesterday's dinner today and today's tomorrow 😝

Spoiler

Yesterday was Italian keto chicken parmesan with cabbage pasta though with lettuce instead of spinach, because that was the only greens I had on hand.

ChickenParmesan.JPG.6336224272d27f728bf1a0174d5c1f2e.JPG

It was okay. I think I'd make it again. Also, I might try the cabbage with other sauces. Might be a reasonably quick replacement for pasta.

That's about all I have for now. I expect tomorrow's update will also be quick *lol*

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

Oh I never thought of cabbage as a replacement for pasta. That's a good idea! 

It never would have occurred to be either! Mostly because I didn't think I liked cabbage, but apparently I do in certain forms. Just not cabbage rolls and coleslaw :P

Spoiler

Yesterday's dinner (and today's lunch) is Keto Brussels sprouts and hamburger gratin. I also decided to use up a bunch of my remaining lettuce for a salad that turned into a half-the-plate one by the time I'm was done :P

HamburgerGratin.JPG.064b9a60f537402b6d53d2d525208a26.JPG

There might actually have been less remaining in my fridge than I thought, but I'll find!

I have no idea what to make for dinner today, but maybe I;ll just do bacon and eggs, since I thawed bacon for yesterday's meal.

• Like 2

That salad is so nice and colourful :). It's always nice to have some "fridge recipes" on hand, for when you have tons of leftover vegetables and don't know what to cook :tongue:.

13 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I have no idea what to make for dinner today, but maybe I;ll just do bacon and eggs, since I thawed bacon for yesterday's meal.

Throw in some vegetables as well and call it a frittata :D.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

Throw in some vegetables as well and call it a frittata :D.

LOL That would have been a great idea! Instead, my brother was ordering in, so I just did that :P I was tempted to do the same today, but ate the meal I had in the freezer and the last of my salad stuff. So that's a plus.

I've now made up a meal plan for next week, pulling items I liked from the pre-prepared plans from the last three weeks. I actually didn't try most of the stuff from week three, since I tossed the plan out, so I might have to revisit some of those later.

I have no idea what I'm eating over the weekend, though :P 

• Like 2

Okay, made a shopping list for my meal plan. I should be able to pick that up tomorrow.

I did not go for a walk today, unfortunately, but oh well. I got distracted with something and then looked up and the whole day was gone 😝 I'm going to try and hit the Farmer's Market tomorrow, though, so that'll involve walking. If nothing else, I'll have to walk around the grocery store 😋

• Like 2

Yay for another week of meal-planning 😀. I only started to realise last Friday how expensive eating out is in Canada, are you planning to reward yourself somehow for not eating out so much? As I understand it, you're saving tons of money now since you limited eating out to basically once a week :).

13 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I got distracted with something and then looked up and the whole day was gone 😝 

Strange how that happens sometimes :rolleyes:.

• Like 2

We decided to do a Deliso pizza for dinner today,so no pics.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, Waanie said:

😀 I only started to realise last Friday how expensive eating out is in Canada, are you planning to reward yourself somehow for not eating out so much? As I understand it, you're saving tons of money now since you limited eating out to basically once a week :).

It can be pricey, yes 😝 I haven't picked out any rewards. I'm not good at the whole reward thing in general, mostly because I don't tend to put off getting things I want and have the money for or finding time for things that don't take money 😝 I should think of something, though...

• Like 1

Okay, checked out from the forums most of the week. It wasn't intentional. It's just every time I sat down and thought, "I should check-in," one of my other tabs would catch my attention and that would be that. Oops!

I went off plan and to simple sandwiches often this week. I did actually cook yesterday and the day before, though.

Spoiler

Day before yesterday was the Keto chicken fajita bowl. I layered things, though, so you can't see the chicken.

FajitaBowl.JPG.cc2bc7f5a4f15568c45587dc61d51dc2.JPG

I liked that one and would make it again.

Yesterday I decided to just wing making burgers. They were tiny, because I wanted to make some for lunch today (forgetting that I'm meeting friends and therefore don't need lunch) and I only took out so much ground beef to thaw. Oh well!

Burgers.JPG.105917bb4fc49ac4202790540ab45a8f.JPG

They turned out okay, so if nothing else, I know I can make those in a pinch.

I still have no decluttered. Tomorrow is my last chance to knock a few of those items off and finish my whole list for this challenge...

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, Rookie said:

Quick declutter anything! :P you have 1 day. I BELIEVE

😂 Thank you! I did manage to get done the items I really wanted (reorganize closet so I can put stuff I'm keeping in there, putting that stuff in the closet, and taking everything off my desk) so I'm calling that one done. Hooray!

Start Meal Planning

• Figure out a planning schedule
  • Create the planning tasks in Habitica
  • Plan a week
  • Plan a second week
  • Plan a third week

Walk Every Day

• Schedule a daily walk for the weekdays
  • Schedule a daily walk for the weekends
  • Go for one walk
  • Get a three day streak
  • Get a five day streak