• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman - My Quest to hit all my goals in 2020

2018 was one of my best years. 2019 however was not so great. In fact, the last half of the year really put me in a downward spiral. I got to my lowest weight of 253 lbs on May 19th. As some of you all know, my Father-in-Law was in the hospital. Things were not looking good, and he indeed did pass away on November 18th. We were also dealing with problems in my apartment. The pest treatments were finally finished at our apartment the week of Thanksgiving. Most everything is back in place, but there is still lots of work to finish getting things back into place. Mostly my computer area. It was right around July when things started to go south. Eventually, I pretty much shut everything down. No exercise, no keto or any type of healthy eating per say. I did have a couple of times I attempted to right the ship, but things were just too highly stressed at the time to deal. I started one last time right after my birthday, but gave in to the "Oh the holidays are here, might as well not deal with getting back to keto". So what happened, I gained back all the weight. On December 30th I was up to 331 lbs. 78 lbs gained. Really mostly in middle of July.

I almost erased all the good of 2018 in such a little time. Past is the past though. Time to focus up on today.

I started again on the first, at least with my food. I'm down 10 lbs sine the 30th. Go Go water weight ;) Time to hit 2020 hard and see if I can accomplish the goals I had set for myself.

My big goals for this year. 

1) Get to under 200 lbs. This means losing 121 or so pounds this year.

2) Do a freaking Pull up. Hopefully more then one, but at least one!

3) Run. Not just a 5k, no not even 10k, but I want to be able to hit 15k.

The 15k mark seems absolutely impossible to me. I can't imagine running 10 miles. A little over 3, I know I can do that. Though at one time, I thought that was impossible. There is a reason, and possible secret goal to the 15k mark. A few year ago, I signed up to run the San Francisco Hot Chocolate 15k run. I paid for it all, and wanted to use it as motivation to make me move. Well, that year was another downfall. I failed to get training, and was in a downward spiral that left me gaining weight, and being miserable for a few years. The race wasn't the cause for my breakdown, it was just one of the many failures I was piling up for myself. Since I started back to getting healthier, it has always been kind of the demon I wanted to conquer. The race happens in ever January. So this year, I plan on tackling the distance. Possibly signing up for the 2021 race. We shall see.

Now I need to start up with challenge goals to help me reach the goals I want to accomplish this year. I think it is part cold turkey, and part easing back into something to establish routines. I know there will be some obstacles. My oldest son turns 21 on the 15th. The day after we are traveling down south for the memorial service for my Father-In-Law. I plan on staying keto for this. I know there are going to be a ton of not even close to keto foods there at the reception. It is turning into a bit of a family reunion type even for that weekend. Food and exercise might be rough. I am determined to stick with it though. Obstacle #2 this year is a possible trip to Disneyland. We haven't booked it yet, but we are looking to go in April. a full week. For this, I do plan on going off Keto. Similar to when I went to New York. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. I will have chances for exercise there, and plenty of steps. ;) There are plenty of other obstacles out there, but I will have to just tckle them as they come up.

The first challenge of 2020 here we go.

Goal#1 - Return to Keto, Tracking, and Intermittent Fasting

I jumped in on this as of the first. Seems to be back to how I was before. First couple of days I want like 12-14 hour fast. The last two days, I am back to 18 hour fasting. So I want to stay under 20 net carbs and fast for 18 hours. I am tracking in Cronometer, and the Life fasting app.

21 points per week. 3 points per day. Tracking, 18 hour fast, and under 20 net carbs.

Goal#2 - Running, Walking, and Workouts

Starting over with C25k for running. I will do this Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. For workouts, I am going to start back with the Nerdfitness Academy bodyweight workouts. That should help ease me back in, and help establish a routine. Plus I can just do them at home. :) Eventually, I will move on to the apartment complex gym. For walking, I want to jump right back into 10,000 steps a day. Instead, I think I need to gradually get there. I am going to start with 5,000 each day, and increase it by 1,000 each week. By the end of the challenge, I should be at 10,000. Sunday is rest day. 

36 points per week. 

1 point per day for step goal reached. 6 total per week.

5 points per run or workout each day. 30 points per week.

Goal#3 - Bring back the sleep routine

This has been one of my worst things recently. I started to get back on it the last few days, but this I was back to going to sleep at 4 am yesterday. If I am to do all the running and working out, I need to make sure I get this rest in.

25 points per week.

Off the computer by 10:30 PM to start reading. 2 points

Reading, then off to bed at 11:30 PM. 2 points.

Saturday gaming with friends night I stay up a bit. 1 point for getting off the PC within 15 minutes. 

Goal#4 - Report in

I need to be reporting in more often. It helps me keep track, and help keep me motivated to see how everyone else is doing.

1 point per day 7 per week.

Week 1 (01/05 to 01/11) - 62/89 - 69%

Week 2 (01/12 to 01/18) - 0/89

Week 3 (01/19 to 01/25) - 0/89

Week 4 (01/26 to 02/01) - 0/89

Week 5 (02/02 to 02/08) - 0/89

Total Challenge points = 0/445

Measurements - Day 1 / Day 35

Neck - 19.01 in / 

Chest - 53.11 in / 

Waist - 57.00 in / 

Bicep (L) - 15.86 in / 

Bicep (R) - 15.55 in / 

Forearm (L) - 12.99 in / 

Forearm (R) - 12.99 in / 

Thigh (L) - 28.58 in / 

Thigh (R) - 27.95 in / 

Weight - 320.5 lbs / 

• Like 9

Good to see you back! It's such a pity that the second half of 2019 didn't go well fitness-wise, but it's understandable. The good news is that you know you can do it and that your current plan works for you, since you did it before.

8 hours ago, Tateman said:

I need to be reporting in more often. It helps me keep track, and help keep me motivated to see how everyone else is doing.

This is so true! If I let this slip, I end up in the downward spiral more quickly, while the community here is always encouraging when I do check in :).

• Like 2

Welcome back. I am so sorry to hear how 2019 went. I think the whole year was just a mess for a number of people. Here is to good luck in 2020 and hoping we both get where we want to go.  I will cheer you on when I can.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Waanie said:

Good to see you back! It's such a pity that the second half of 2019 didn't go well fitness-wise, but it's understandable. The good news is that you know you can do it and that your current plan works for you, since you did it before.

This is so true! If I let this slip, I end up in the downward spiral more quickly, while the community here is always encouraging when I do check in :).

Yup, too easy to just let it keep on passing. The last challenge before the Holiday challenge, I had a thread all written up to do. It was sitting here in my browesr window for two weeks beofre I just decided it was too late. Ahh well though, time to start a new :)

11 hours ago, Rookie said:

Welcome back buddy! 

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Welcome back. I am so sorry to hear how 2019 went. I think the whole year was just a mess for a number of people. Here is to good luck in 2020 and hoping we both get where we want to go.  I will cheer you on when I can.

Agreed! I hope 2020 is much better for us all!

• Like 3

On 1/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, Tateman said:

I almost erased all the good of 2018 in such a little time. Past is the past though. Time to focus up on today.

Please don't be too hard on yourself with this line of thinking. Sure, the scale says one thing, but all your previous progress still counts. You still know how you got there, you remember what to do to get there again, and it'll be a bit easier this time because there won't be such a learning curve. Cheering you on!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Please don't be too hard on yourself with this line of thinking. Sure, the scale says one thing, but all your previous progress still counts. You still know how you got there, you remember what to do to get there again, and it'll be a bit easier this time because there won't be such a learning curve. Cheering you on!

I do this to myself quite often haha. It's always that being your own toughest critic thing. On the flip side, I am congratulating myself on not continuing to gain back all my weight, and actually getting back on the horse and losing it again. Last time I went years before I got myself to where I am now.

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your FIL and the rest of the year's shenanigans. ❤️

Thanks. I am really hope things will be getting better this year. Then today our standing freezer broke haha. 

• Like 4

I've been doing a bit of replying to threads and such, but haven't really checked in for how I am doing these first few days.

Goal#1 - Return to Keto, Tracking, and Intermittent Fasting

Jan 5th - 1547 Calories, 14.7 net carbs. 22 hrs 18 mins fasted.

Jan 6th - 1864 Calories, 12.8 net carbs. 21 hrs 33 mins fasted.

All things tracked. Been doing Keto since the 1st. I had extra things like some pickles and other things to help with potential keto flu. So far, no keto flu going on. Been checking blood glucose numbers too, and they are looking great.

Goal#2 - Running, Walking, and Workouts

Jan 5th - Sunday is rest day. Just happend to be day 1 of the challenge. Only 1,369 steps. 

Jan 6th - 7,896 steps. I did C25k Week 1 Day 1. I was only able to complete 7/8 of the interval runs. Who knew it was hard to run when you are over 300 lbs haha 

Did not bowl on Monday night. Wife was working super late. I felt ok about my run. I know my brain thinks I should just be able to run a 5k again, but I knew it woudl be much harder then I was expecting. Still, I had hoped I could complete it all. It's ok. This is a long process, so me repeating a week or more is no big thing. I'll just keep pushing on. Will see how the run goes tomorrow.

Goal#3 - Bring back the sleep routine

Jan 5th - Off the computer at 10:30 PM, reading done at 11:30 PM. Fitbit seems to think I didn't sleep till 2am. Sometimes it tracks weird. 11:32 PM to 6:34 AM is about what my hours were.

Jan 6th - Off the computer at 10:30 PM, reading done at 11:30 PM. 11:43 PM to 6:54 AM. Had to take the dog out right before bed, plus woke up a few times (thanks animals)

Overall, I am surprised I am able to get back into this so far. I did want to continue lookign up some things last night, but I still made myself shut it down. I have been having some aches and pains while sleeping, so hopefully this gets better as I lose weight, and get more adjusted to this sleep schedule.

Goal#4 - Report in

Jan 5th - Not much, but I check out a couple of posts, and posted a bit.

Jan 6th - Did the same yesterday. Not too much checking in, but at least I was here and posting some. :)

Today, I did some body weight workouts while I made myself some food. I debated waiting to do them later on at night, but I knew I could knock them out while cooking. I did:

3 x 10 Body weight Squats

3 x 10 Elevated push ups (kitchen counter)

3 x 10 Standing doorway rows

Not much, but something. It is a start. I need to remember this is also about establishing the habit, not just about how much work I am doing. Even with me thinking I should be doing more, these were not the easiest to do. Run time tomorrow!

Quick edit:

I should mention I also went to my new doctor yesterday. I have a mole on my neck that changed. I made sure to get it checked ASAP. Better safe then sorry. She thought it seemed fine. No idea why it change. Maybe my CPaP face mask irritated it or something. Still, I talked about blood work and such. Physical will be in March, and Blood work is schedules for whenever I want to go in and do it. Just at least a week before the appointment. Current plan, I think I will go mid February. :) 

So far she seemed like a good Doctor. Didn't say anything about me doing Keto. (I gave her a brief run down on why I am not on the medication I was on before) I think I'll come up with some questions for next time.

• Like 6

What an ugly year.  I can totally see why it derailed you.  But as others have said, you did it before, you'll do it again.  Those are some admirable goals and I love your point system.  15K?  Wow, that is all.

• Like 2

Glad you're getting back into it!

7 hours ago, Tateman said:

I did C25k Week 1 Day 1. I was only able to complete 7/8 of the interval runs. Who knew it was hard to run when you are over 300 lbs haha 

You made the effort, which is what counts! I'm sure that next time you'll finish the 8th interval as well :).

7 hours ago, Tateman said:

Not much, but something. It is a start. I need to remember this is also about establishing the habit, not just about how much work I am doing. Even with me thinking I should be doing more, these were not the easiest to do. Run time tomorrow!

If you add in just some planks or other core-work, I'd say that it is rounded enough for the beginning. There have been periods in my life where I did basically what you did, twice a week, and my strength still increased noticeably. That's the cool thing of strength training: just fifteen minutes of stuff is enough to have a big impact ;).

• Like 2

Glad to see you again!

"Oh the holidays are here, might as well not deal with getting back to keto"

Man, do I know that thought 😂

I'm following along!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tateman said:

Quick edit:

I should mention I also went to my new doctor yesterday. I have a mole on my neck that changed. I made sure to get it checked ASAP. Better safe then sorry. She thought it seemed fine. No idea why it change. Maybe my CPaP face mask irritated it or something. Still, I talked about blood work and such. Physical will be in March, and Blood work is schedules for whenever I want to go in and do it. Just at least a week before the appointment. Current plan, I think I will go mid February. :) 

Glad to hear the doc thinks your mole is ok. This reminds me... I think I am supposed to book a physical. I wish doctors offices did phone call reminders lol 

And your workout looked good to me even if it felt light to you. You did it and that is what matters.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chesire said:

What an ugly year.  I can totally see why it derailed you.  But as others have said, you did it before, you'll do it again.  Those are some admirable goals and I love your point system.  15K?  Wow, that is all.

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

Glad you're getting back into it!

You made the effort, which is what counts! I'm sure that next time you'll finish the 8th interval as well :).

If you add in just some planks or other core-work, I'd say that it is rounded enough for the beginning. There have been periods in my life where I did basically what you did, twice a week, and my strength still increased noticeably. That's the cool thing of strength training: just fifteen minutes of stuff is enough to have a big impact ;).

Yeah, I think there are more core movements in the workout B part if I recall. I pretty much had the same thoughts with doing some planks too. :)

4 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Glad to see you again!

Man, do I know that thought 😂

I'm following along!

Thanks! Holidays can be a rough one haha :)

4 hours ago, Rookie said:

Glad to hear the doc thinks your mole is ok. This reminds me... I think I am supposed to book a physical. I wish doctors offices did phone call reminders lol 

And your workout looked good to me even if it felt light to you. You did it and that is what matters.

Yeah, I end up adding it to calendars right away, so google will remind me of the appointment. Assuming the doc mentions something while I am there. Otherwise I just forget about it, until I realize it's been over a year for bloodwork or something.

Got that run in today. I figured I needed to slow down a little more in the first half. I went slower on the walking in between the runs too. I made all 8 intervals today. Shins were not happy, but it will get better. ;)

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Tateman said:

Got that run in today. I figured I needed to slow down a little more in the first half. I went slower on the walking in between the runs too. I made all 8 intervals today.

Yay!

• Like 2

Welcome back, glad to see you're here and ready to go with a plan, it'll be nice to have you back in the forums. It sounds like you're having a healthy response to last year, your post made me think of Rafiki bopping Simba on the head, "Oh yes, the past can hurt but the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." You are definitely working on learning from it and leading yourself toward a healthy result. Good luck!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Rookie said:

My doc just cuts off my birth control prescription and leaves a note with the pharmacy which I never see 🤔

WTF Batman

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Tateman said:

Got that run in today. I figured I needed to slow down a little more in the first half. I went slower on the walking in between the runs too. I made all 8 intervals today. Shins were not happy, but it will get better. ;)

Fantastic! 🎉

• Like 2

Thanks all :) Appreciate the support.

Yesterday was a bit of a fail day. No walking, no workout. Rain happened things for my normal walk time, and I just let it all kinda throw me out of wack. The night before I went a little crazy with some eating. I think  freaked out a little when I saw a low blood glucose number the day before. I stayed keto, but I just keep eating stuff. Like I was just that hungry. I don't feel bad about it really, more just a bit disappointed I just didn't stop it. Made my 18 hour fast the next day harder. I didn't eat until 4:05 PM yesterday. Since it was so late, I just had a big old meal. 

Today though, I am back on it. Got in my run today. I was able to just finish. So next week will be a repeat of week 1. I am going to have to come up with some adjustments for next week. We travel down south for my FiL memorial. There is stuff happening all weekend too I think. My 3rd run might be delayed. I think I should be able to fit it in someplace. Will have to see. Plus workouts too. Then there is food to worry about. Thinking of picking up a few items to take with me just just in case. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tateman said:

I think  freaked out a little when I saw a low blood glucose number the day before.

Is this good or bad? Doctors only test against a maximum value, I think, but low glucose is really uncomfortable?

We travel down south for my FiL memorial.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope that you and your family are doing well.

I am going to have to come up with some adjustments for next week.

Can you make a tentative planning? Workouts don't take that much time, and you might even be able to do them without changing, so they can be fit in here or there (although finding the motivation to do so will be HARD). If that's still too hard, you can spread the sets over the day, so get up and do a set of push-ups, the first three toilet visits get a set of squats, etc. The motivation to do the last sets will probably be even harder to obtain though. For your run, can you get up half an hour earlier than the other people to get it in? Or just find some "me"-time? Alternatively, you can decide to skip it as you're repeating week 1 anyway. Suboptimal fitness-wise, but life happens.

For food, you'll have to find the line between socially acceptable and maintaining your diet. Hopefully you can figure it out!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tateman said:

Today though, I am back on it. Got in my run today. I was able to just finish. 

Great job getting back to it! Better to keep going than to worry about a stumble.

22 hours ago, Tateman said:

Thinking of picking up a few items to take with me just just in case. 

Sounds like a good idea. Laying in contingency plans ahead of time should help, eh?

• Like 1