Maigs Preps for Tax Season and Getting Old

Maigs

I took a much needed break for my sanity but I'm ready to try and dive back into things.

I'm an accountant and we're about to dive head first into tax season. Last year was my first tax season with an accounting firm and I was not fully prepared for it. This year I want to do better. I'm prepping freezer friendly foods, stocking up on non-perishables (so grocery shopping is easier), and solidifying my desired habits. Last year I gained 15lbs and never really lost them. It is not acceptable to gain any more this year.

Also, my birthday was last week and it hit me that I'll be turning 35 at my next one and holy crap that sounds older than I should be. So in an effort to not actually be old I need to keep my body moving and healthy. I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and bought a Spartan Trifecta pass for 2020. I WILL earn my Trifecta this year. I also may be making a trip to the UK this summer to visit a friend who just relocated there and would love to to an OCR with the UK Rangers (who have abandoned us here *sniffle*) and not embarrass myself with my out-of-shapeness

Goals:

Prep more foods - Right before Christmas I bought a small chest freezer and have been filling it with foods. Before the end of the challenge I want to add two more casseroles, banana muffins, burritos, chili, and at least one other soup to the freezer. Less than healthy homemade foods are far better than restaurant food

Break Caffeine Habit - I did this for a few weeks last year, but lost it it when tax season it hard. This year I'm starting it earlier so hopefully it will stick better. Hubs decided to quit too so that should help, we're out of our caffeine of choice (a water flavor mix) and have agreed to not buy any more. I have the remnants of a case of Dr. Pepper that I will drink one a day until it's gone, then no more. Occasional sodas are okay as long as I keep it at the 1-2 times a month I've been at since kicking the D.P. habit a few years back

Keep up the exercise - Keep going to kickboxing 3ish times a week. Four is great, two is acceptable when hours at work get longer. I also recently restarted C25k to prepare for the running part of the Trifecta. When I was in my best running shape I was training on the treadmill. I've realized that I really don't hate it, and especially with the cold weather and lack of daylight it's by far the best way for me to actually get a run in. Three times a week is ideal, two is acceptable.

• Like 10

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Week 1 Day 1

After spending Saturday doing absolutely nothing (which was much needed after the holidays) Hubs and I were a little productive yesterday. We went shopping, ordered a murphy bed cabinet for the office, stocked up on super cheap ground turkey for Hubs ($1/lb of the brand that normally $5), and cleaned up the house a little. We got lunch while we were out but both avoided soda AND we both left fries on our plates. That's huge for us since we're both the type to eat until the food is gone. 

We came home to a herd of fire trucks in our neighborhood. Apparently a house a block over had a fire. No human injuries but a cat didn't make it :( 

Then Hubs had some work friends over for D&D and I went to the gym and did C25k. And some deadlifts for S&G :) 

Food Prep - not exactly, but now there's 6lbs of ground turkey added to the freezer

Caffeine - check!

Exercise - check!

• Like 4

That’s an awesome tattoo! Following along - I really appreciate your freezer challenge specifically, hopefully I can learn some things for when our busy season hits at the end of the semester 😄

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

8 hours ago, kcaleece said:

That’s an awesome tattoo! Following along - I really appreciate your freezer challenge specifically, hopefully I can learn some things for when our busy season hits at the end of the semester 😄

Thanks! It was a really impulse decision, my sister and I decided to do it the day before. I was already rocking the undercut so it wasn't a big haircut in addition to a tattoo.

Some of my freezer friendly recipes are from this cookbook, other's are ones I've just played with freezing in the past. Twice baked potatoes are not the healthiest, but a far better option than fast food and are a good one to make a big batch of (I do 10lbs of potatoes).

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 11:03 PM, Maigs said:

I WILL earn my Trifecta this year. I also may be making a trip to the UK this summer to visit a friend who just relocated there and would love to to an OCR with the UK Rangers (who have abandoned us here *sniffle*) and not embarrass myself with my out-of-shapeness

• That's an awesome goal; I'm planning for a Trifecta myself this year.

• That would be awesome, we can definitely arrange a UK OCR if you come over!

• You won't embarrass yourself I'm certain.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

This looks awesome!  Glad to have you back! 

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

On 1/5/2020 at 11:03 PM, Maigs said:

I also may be making a trip to the UK this summer to visit a friend who just relocated there and would love to to an OCR with the UK Rangers (who have abandoned us here *sniffle*) and not embarrass myself with my out-of-shapeness

Hey Maigs! I'm making an effort to get back on the boards this month. Not that I've actually put a challenge up yet! 

What month are you thinking of visiting jolly ol' England? Hubs and I are also doing a Trifecta this year and we are doing a Super and Sprint in Leicestershire on the 11th and 12th of July. I'm trying to convince Stu that we should do the Sprint dressed as Mexican Wrestlers 😜

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

• That's an awesome goal; I'm planning for a Trifecta myself this year.

• That would be awesome, we can definitely arrange a UK OCR if you come over!

• You won't embarrass yourself I'm certain.

Haha, you underestimate my lack of fitness (err....overestimate my fitness levels?) :D 

4 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Hello fellow accounting professional and good luck for tax season!

I hope all your expenses are deductable and all your debits have credits!

Thanks, I'm gonna need it. I'm really enjoying my new(ish) job but it's definitely a change from my old job where the only stress was a horribly bad manager and coworker

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

This looks awesome!  Glad to have you back! 

Thanks Nova! 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Hey Maigs! I'm making an effort to get back on the boards this month. Not that I've actually put a challenge up yet! 

What month are you thinking of visiting jolly ol' England? Hubs and I are also doing a Trifecta this year and we are doing a Super and Sprint in Leicestershire on the 11th and 12th of July. I'm trying to convince Stu that we should do the Sprint dressed as Mexican Wrestlers 😜

Yay! Most of the people I followed on here disappeared around the same time so it was getting a bit lonely :) 

We haven't even made it far enough in the planning to have a month. Because of my job it would have to be June-August but that's as far as I've made it. Unfortunately Floof is getting to the age where I don't want to plan things too far out. He's doing fine now, but I'm not sure if I'll feel comfortable leaving him for a week or more in 5 months

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 2

Yesterday at worked I got reminded that busy season isn't just taxes, it's also year end payroll and some corporate filings which starts now. So I'm going to starting coming into work early to hopefully keep up without cutting into my gym. I stuck to my caffeine goals but someone brought in cookies to work and I had 4 or 5 which was unnecessary. Keeping my sugar down isn't an actual goal this challenge (probably next one) but I really need to do better than that. I made it to kickboxing for a good workout. Then home for a homecooked meal (udon in peanut sauce with peas and shredded carrots) and vegging the rest of the night. 

Food Prep - No, but if I don't make the banana muffins tonight the bananas will be too far gone

Caffeine - check!

Exercise - check!

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 3

Had a pretty good day at work that actually flew by pretty quickly. And I was given authority over something that doesn't create a lot of stress but proves Boss trusts me which was nice. I stuck to my caffeine goal but ate more cookies. After work I made chili while walking Hubs through making the banana muffins, which was a riot, that man has no idea how to cook. We made 2 dozen mini-muffins and a HUGE muffin (in a 2 cup pyrex dish, should have just waited until the first batch was cooked and reused a mini-muffin tin), then ate far too many of the mini-muffins, froze 20 of them, and left out 12 for snacking this week. Then I made it to the gym to do Week 4 of C25k and some deadlifts and OHP. I almost re-did Week 3 since I wasn't sure about running five minutes straight twice but I gave it a try and made it! My legs are toast today so I'm glad it's a rest day

Food Prep - Banana muffins prepped and some of the leftover chili may end up in the freezer

Caffeine - check!

Exercise - check!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Whoohoo for work wins! I remember this upcoming time of year for you last year - I seem to recall obnoxious amounts of trail mix happening emoji14.png
Your freezer meal prep is a great tactic though!

Obnoxious is an understatement! It was an absolutely ridiculous amount! My next challenge may have to be simply "No snacking at work" because I'm sure Boss is going to start stocking up on the snacks sometime next month and the only way for me to not eat a stupid amount is to just not start eating it in the first place

• Like 1

Obnoxious is an understatement! It was an absolutely ridiculous amount! My next challenge may have to be simply "No snacking at work" because I'm sure Boss is going to start stocking up on the snacks sometime next month and the only way for me to not eat a stupid amount is to just not start eating it in the first place
Abstinence is SO often easier than moderation!
  • Like 3

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

1 minute ago, Maigs said:

Ugh, my boss does this too. The first day back this year he walked in with a family size box of shortbread and a Christmas cake the size of a dinner plate. There are literally three of us in this office! I know he's just trying to be nice, but I wish he'd be nice by buying grapes and apples instead of cookies and cake!

• Like 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

7 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Abstinence is SO often easier than moderation!

Absolutely! I can usually do okay if I try to completely avoid, but once I start it's all over

6 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Ugh, my boss does this too. The first day back this year he walked in with a family size box of shortbread and a Christmas cake the size of a dinner plate. There are literally three of us in this office! I know he's just trying to be nice, but I wish he'd be nice by buying grapes and apples instead of cookies and cake!

Lol. It's very sweet of them to do this, but yeah, we need more fruits and veggie trays and less sugar. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:03 PM, Maigs said:

Prep more foods - Right before Christmas I bought a small chest freezer and have been filling it with foods. Before the end of the challenge I want to add two more casseroles, banana muffins, burritos, chili, and at least one other soup to the freezer. Less than healthy homemade foods are far better than restaurant food

A chest freezer stuffed with tasty foods you've prepped sounds like a dream come true! What kind of casseroles do you make?

On 1/6/2020 at 6:56 AM, Maigs said:

AND we both left fries on our plates.

Wow!! French fries are one of the hardest foods not to finish, so this must've taken a lot of willpower! 

It's good to see you back! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

8 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

A chest freezer stuffed with tasty foods you've prepped sounds like a dream come true! What kind of casseroles do you make?

One is basically chicken pot pie, except instead of a pie crust you put refrigerated biscuits on top while it cooks. 

Spoiler

Chicken & Biscuits

¼ cup butter 
1-2 diced chicken breast or vegetarian equiovolent
1 chopped onion 
½ tsp thyme 
½ tsp paprika 
¼ tsp black pepper 
14 oz broth 
1/3 cup flour 
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables 
1 can (12 oz) refrigerated biscuits 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add skallops, onion, thyme, paprika, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. 

Add broth and flour to the skillet, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes. Add vegetables; continue cooking 2 minutes.  

Transfer to 8”x8” casserole dish; top with biscuits. Bake 25-30 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown 

If you freeze it, freeze without the biscuits, thaw it out overnight before cooking and let it cook for 20 minutes before adding the biscuits

One is a Mexicanish dish

Spoiler

Telluride Black Bean Tortilla Bake 

1lbs ground beef (or 1 package of veggie crumbles) 
1 onion, diced 
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed 
16 oz can diced tomatoes 
1 can enchilada sauce 
1 tsp chili powder 
1 tsp cumin 
½ tsp black pepper 
8 flour tortillas, fajita size 
6 oz cream cheese, softened 
4 oz can diced green chilies, drained 

Brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet; drain fat. Add tomatoes to skillet with meat. Stir in black beans, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and chilies. Bring to a boil, then add in cream cheese, cutting into smaller pieces and allowing to melt completely.  

Spread half the tortillas to cover the bottom of a greased 8”x11” baking dish. Pour half of meat sauce into the bottom of a greased 7”x11” baking dish. Arrange second half of tortillas over the sauce, overlapping if necessary. Pour remaining sauce over the tortillas. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until heated through. 

I actually just mix in an entire brick of cream cheese and the green chilies into the rest of the mixture and let the cream cheese semi melt in and put the tortillas into the casserole dish plain

The last one is a family recipe....it's kinda weird but everyone I've fed it to likes it. It's vaguely like a meatloaf but at the same time, nothing like meatloaf

Spoiler

Chinese Noodle Almond Loaf 

1 Package Morninstar Grillers Crumbles (16.2 oz) 
3/4 cup hot water 
1 cup milk 
½ cup mayonnaise 
4 tbsp flour 
2 eggs 
4 tbsp butter, softened 
1 large onion, chopped 
1 cup slivered almonds 
1 package Chow Mein Noodles (16oz) 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees 

Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, setting side just enough Chow Mein Noodles to sprinkle on top of the casserole. Pour the mixture into an 8”x11” (2 Quart) greased casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining chow mein noodles on top.  

Put in the oven for 45 minutes. Best served with BBQ sauce.  

I've started using 2 cups of milk and no water because I go through so little milk and can buy it in pints so none goes bad

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Wow!! French fries are one of the hardest foods not to finish, so this must've taken a lot of willpower! 

It's good to see you back! 

Thanks! I would not have been able to do it on my own but Hubs said he was actually full (in a "what-the-hell" voice) and I thought that we don't need to finish them and it's good practice for us to leave food on our plates so we each left about a quarter of our fries. 

• Haha 1

Week 1 Day 4

Decent day that went fast again. I got to play in a spreadsheet most of the day, which is fun for me and hopefully useful for the rest of the office. It was game night so I didn't have time to get to the gym, which is probably good because my legs could use a break. I stuck to my caffeine limit (they're almost gone...) but had a candy bar at work and a decedent brownie at game night. And I spent a bit of money between the two. @Novaurora, I promised you an update on this:

Spoiler

Last year I bought laser hair removal for my underarms. You go in once very 5 weeks for 7-10 months and get treatment. I had my fourth treatment last night and it seems to be going really well. There's still hair, but there's a definite difference in amount and coarseness. If they were like this to begin with I maybe wouldn't bother shaving ever. So last night they offered me a deal on a new area (it's the type of place where you never pay "full" price, but this was the best deal I'd heard of them doing) so I'm getting my legs done next. To make things simpler (since they're on the opposite corner of town from me) I'm waiting to get the first treatment until my next underarm one and just do them together

Food Prep - none, unless you count researching pierogi recipes to batch and freeze thanks to @Fonzico :) 

Caffeine - check!

Exercise - rest day

• Like 3

I've never used the words 'spreadsheet' and 'fun' in the same sentence! Well, maybe if the sentence was 'Well that was fun. Not!' 

• Haha 1

2020 Races: 

Following along! A chest freezer for meal prepped foods is a great idea, I should probably do that two (although I do already have two fridge freezers, how can that not be enough room!?)

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

21 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've never used the words 'spreadsheet' and 'fun' in the same sentence! Well, maybe if the sentence was 'Well that was fun. Not!' 

Lol, I love spreadsheets, you can do amazing things in them

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along! A chest freezer for meal prepped foods is a great idea, I should probably do that two (although I do already have two fridge freezers, how can that not be enough room!?)

It's a teeny tiny one but when we first set it up I wondered how I was going to keep it full enough to run properly (they recommend 2/3 full) and two weeks later it's already pretty full and I have a few more ideas of things to make and put in there. Now my fear is having things sink to the bottom and die a horrible freezer burnt death

Week 1 Day 5

Slightly frustrating day. Working on a project that I didn't really understand with a woman who can't explain anything. Left "on time" which at this time of the year is early and felt bad for it but couldn't brain anymore. I went out for lunch because it sounded really good and got a burger and fries from a local place that does fun burgers. I also got a soda. My thought process was this would be one of the okay times to get a soda in my ideal world so I'll get one now. Maybe it was justifying a bad decision, but as long as it's not repeated more than a couple of times a month we'll go with it. After work I made it to kickboxing, which I'm still really enjoying, but am realizing that it won't get me to my goal of being strong AF. Seriously considering looking into the crossfit gym, but (as I've said in @Charlie_Quinn's challenge) this is a horrible time of the year for me to try something new, so it will have to wait a few months. 

And this morning I weighed myself for the first time in a while and I'm pretty damn annoyed with myself. I'm up 25lbs from this time last year. I can see the extra weight on me, which is rare for me. Very frustrated that I let it go up so much

Food Prep - none

Caffeine - Nope

Exercise - check

• Like 2