Waanie reboots

Waanie

The last two challenges, something happened so that I could not finish them. In November, the preparations for my PhD-defence were too much to complete my challenge with, and last month I was felled by a combination of the flu and asthma. Since nothing much has changed in my situation, I will repeat the goals of last time:

1. Make a daily plan every day, either the evening before or in the morning

This can be a schedule, or todo-list, or a combination thereof.

2. Do either yoga or BW strength training every day

Initially this will be more yoga-focused since I lost a lot of strength and endurance last month, but hopefully I'll feel motivated for BW training later again. Yoga will be Yoga with Adriene's 30-day challenge unless it will become too spiritual.

3. Go outside every day

The yard does not count as outside.

This month will be highly volatile as well I'm afraid, as I'm going to start looking for a job (no hurry though). Here's to new beginnings!

• Like 9

So, today I already did all the things. I got up in time, made a todo-list (both the mandatories and the optionals), did day 4 of the YWA challenge, and went for a walk/shopping/groceries. I splurged a bit on yet another new notebook and two exercise pants. The notebook has a weekly calendar on the left, and a notes-bit on the right, so this one is more practical than my last one and totally justifies spending 1.5 euros on something I don't really need. I managed to leave the shop without buying unhealthy snacks, which is a big achievement for me ;).

Anyway, looking at everyone's goals for the year also made me wonder again what I find most important, and what's missing in my life. What I'm missing most right now is fulfilment, but I'm trying to fix that by applying for jobs. It's important for me to realise that the main reason to find a job is the daily (social) structure and the acknowledgement of my skills, more so than the money it brings in (although a good salary does make life easier,  a moderate salary is plenty). I'm assuming that when I'm in a nice job, the energy and happiness will follow on their own again.

Fitness-wise, the thing that I want to improve most is "moving with ease". This means a flexible and strong body that can perform all everyday tasks without trouble. For example when I had to climb through the window this weekend, I noticed that my hips are stiff, my legs not really that strong and I was feeling overall clumsy. I would like to be able to do this kind of thing with grace. Similarly, I would like to be able to go for a long hike in the hills without any soreness afterwards. This challenge, I'm tackling this with some general mobility in the form of yoga.

Of course, I also have a vanity goal of having a six-pack, but I'm not motivated enough for that to actually change my diet, so this is never going to happen ;).

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Waanie... why did you have to climb through the window? :P 

Nothing fun, unfortunately. We have a leakage in our house, and I wanted to check if that's coming from the gutter(?) between the second and third floor, so I had to stand on the roof of the first floor. The easiest way to get there is to climb through the window of the bedroom. We still don't know where the leakage is coming from, so we will need to hire some professionals for that...

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1

You can never have enough notebooks ;)

Good to see you here with another challenge! Best of luck with the job hunt- at least you have some idea of what you're looking for. 

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

19 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

You can never have enough notebooks ;)

Good to see you here with another challenge! Best of luck with the job hunt- at least you have some idea of what you're looking for. 

Thanks! I'm lucky enough that it's probably more difficult to find a job that I want, than to find a job that wants me. I hope I can get some more structured days soon, since that's very hard for me when I'm just on my own.

I encountered some more notebooks today when looking for my grade lists of university (I never had to calculate my average grade before), but the lay-out of calender left, notes right wins from all other designs I have on the plank. The daily area is also small enough that I can't make my todo-lists too long :P.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm lucky enough that it's probably more difficult to find a job that I want, than to find a job that wants me.

That is an awesome position to be in! Best of luck finding some that fulfills you.

• Like 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time,

and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Welcome back! You're off to a great start :) 

Thanks! Somehow I'm also more positive than I was last year, so I have high hopes that it will be a good year.

9 hours ago, Whisper said:

That is an awesome position to be in! Best of luck finding some that fulfills you.

Thank you :).  I haven't done that much to find a job yet, so far I have filled out exactly one application. I'm not in a hurry, so all is well. 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That does sound good :D

I just need a pencil sharpener all the time, otherwise I can't write small enough to fit all my tasks in the space :P.

• Like 3

Yesterday I walked a bit too much (14k steps), which did not really sit well with my hips. I guess that sitting still for two weeks due to illness didn't help anything in keeping them supple. This morning they are feeling like normal again though, so I don't think the extra walking will come and bite me in the tail. Orchestra rehearsal was nice, and I'm glad that I could play all evening without my lungs giving me too much trouble. 

This morning my cat decided that she also wanted to be present during yoga time, so first she stole my yoga mat and when I dared to nudge her away, she was sitting in front of my screen watching the youtube video. As I'm typing this now, she found her place between me and my keyboard as well :P. Some days she just wants all the hugs ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today was really successful again:

• The professionals found and fixed the leaks in the roof in no time
  • I went shopping and managed to find two sweaters, a great jacket, a day-trip backpack and black dress pants
  • I started running again. W1d1: 6x1 minute. My lungs were not entirely happy, but it went well enough
  • I did yoga first thing in the morning after breakfast and reading the newspaper, which is starting to become a habit
  • I still have energy left to bake a carrot tarte tatin tonight

Week 1 update:

Planning: 2/7

Yoga/BW: 2/7

Outside: 2/7

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1
51 minutes ago, Rookie said:

But you probably make it better :P I will need to try this one day. I am so hungry and this recipe looks so good haha. Almost lunch time here. 

This recipe is amazing, and the small tweaks I do are more out of preference than necessity. It's also a meal from which you want to continue eating, last time I asked my boyfriend if I could eat his half 😆. Anyway, it's in the oven now, and the kitchen is sufficiently clean again, so all I have to do now is wait :).

• Like 2
15 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Great day! And that recipe looks delicious 😃

Thanks! Dinner was indeed very delicious :).

Today I'm grumpy. I'm not exactly sure why, but my perception of about everything is just negative. On top of that, yoga was mostly core-work, which is not my reason to do yoga. RAWR. At least my cat enjoyed sitting on my yoga mat hunting my hair while I was doing planks.

For tonight's dinner, I decided to use up all kinds of stuff in my fridge and pantry and make a beef-stew in the slow cooker. Now I'm out of carrots, potatoes and stewing meat, and have  less clutter everywhere. I'm considering to make sure there are leftovers for a soup tomorrow.

It's too early to give up the day entirely yet, and I have some hopes that climbing will improve my mood, but I still hope that tomorrow will be better.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Waanie said:

For tonight's dinner, I decided to use up all kinds of stuff in my fridge and pantry and make a beef-stew in the slow cooker. Now I'm out of carrots, potatoes and stewing meat, and have  less clutter everywhere. I'm considering to make sure there are leftovers for a soup tomorrow.

OMNOMNOM lol Sounds delicious and I hope it turned out really good. 

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

It's too early to give up the day entirely yet, and I have some hopes that climbing will improve my mood, but I still hope that tomorrow will be better.

Climbing willlllll improve your mood! You know it will. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

13 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Random grumpy days can be so frustrating. I hope climbing helps!

Climbing helped :).

13 hours ago, Rookie said:

OMNOMNOM lol Sounds delicious and I hope it turned out really good. 

Climbing willlllll improve your mood! You know it will. 

The stew did turn out really good, I love beef stew and this time I managed to get the seasoning almost right (which is hard in the slow cooker) :).

Climbing was fun! There were a few new routes, and the atmosphere was really good. I made it a bit too late, so tonight I'll have an early bedtime ;).

I'm not sure yet what today's larger activity will be. I have a lot of exercise planned: walking, running, yoga and extra stretching. Funnily enough every day of this week so far I have exercised (light-moderate) at least 2 hours per day B). I'm slowly becoming an athletic person again!

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Waanie said:

The stew did turn out really good, I love beef stew and this time I managed to get the seasoning almost right (which is hard in the slow cooker) :).

Climbing was fun! There were a few new routes, and the atmosphere was really good. I made it a bit too late, so tonight I'll have an early bedtime ;).

Do you remember what sort of things you put into it? I find my stew is so bland unless I use those stew flavouring packs. And did you sear/brown the beef before you put it in the slow cooker?

I knew climbing would give you your energy and mood back! That sounds like a good time.

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm not sure yet what today's larger activity will be. I have a lot of exercise planned: walking, running, yoga and extra stretching. Funnily enough every day of this week so far I have exercised (light-moderate) at least 2 hours per day B). I'm slowly becoming an athletic person again!

I am so happy for you! You take to it like a fish takes to water. You might actually be a naturally athletic person Waanie!

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

18 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Do you remember what sort of things you put into it? I find my stew is so bland unless I use those stew flavouring packs. And did you sear/brown the beef before you put it in the slow cooker?

I used a lot of beef-broth-powder. Maybe 2-3 teaspoons? I also seasoned and browned the meat, and sweat the onions. Otherwise, it was just two huge bay leafs and a big spoonful of thyme.

20 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I am so happy for you! You take to it like a fish takes to water. You might actually be a naturally athletic person Waanie!

Thanks! I'm generally a very active person, and sitting still for longer periods of time is not good for either me or anyone around me.

Today I was not as active as in the past few days; I'm sore, I didn't get enough sleep and the weather is still grey. I did manage to complete all my goals (making a todo-list, yoga and going outside), and also got my 6x1 minute run in. It's okay, not every day has to be extremely active. I did some extra stretching for my hips as well, since they are incredibly tight, to the point where they're limiting my climbing at the moment.

I splurged a bit on vegetables for dinner this evening, so our curry will have a few onions, an eggplant, 100-200g of peas and 100-150g of mushrooms for 2 people. I don't mind if there will be leftovers though, lunching with dinner of the night before is great ;).

Week 1 update:

Planning: 4/7

Yoga/BW: 4/7

Outside: 4/7

• Like 4
On 1/7/2020 at 8:16 AM, Waanie said:

I just need a pencil sharpener all the time, otherwise I can't write small enough to fit all my tasks in the space :P.

I can really recommend the micron fineliners, I use the 005 when I really want to write tiny. 

5 hours ago, Waanie said:

lunching with dinner of the night before is great

this is truth. 

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

7 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I can really recommend the micron fineliners, I use the 005 when I really want to write tiny. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll put it on my list for "gifts to myself" :). I still have a gazillion pencils (maths and music both require pencils), but a fineliner is more convenient.

10 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

this is truth. 

Tomorrow I'll still have to fiddle with it, since today's curry was too hot. I'll probably buy some yoghurt to mix in with it, and then it should be fine.