• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waanie

Waanie reboots

14 hours ago, Waanie said:

Climbing helped :)

Yay!

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

I don't mind if there will be leftovers though, lunching with dinner of the night before is great ;).

So true! Even though I don't like cooking, I do like having left-overs so I don't have to cook for lunch 😋

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bdwilson said:

So true! Even though I don't like cooking, I do like having left-overs so I don't have to cook for lunch 😋

Lunch is mostly sandwiches for me. Or, if I'm being bad about food that day, some snacks instead of lunch. Having the curry again today was really nice though :).

Today I don't have much to update, but I had the resolution to try to update every day, so here it is:

Planning was done first thing after breakfast.

Yoga was mostly meditation, so not really that much mobility work. I'm very stiff today, so I might actually do some more stretching, foam rolling and gentle movement later today.

Outside it was grey, but barely any rain.

Random rambling about goals:

Spoiler

I often feel that I'm not doing enough exercise, mostly because I don't even get close to 10k steps per day. Of course, I do exercise enough since I also do yoga, climbing, running and use my bike for transport. However, it's easier said than done to accept that I'm doing enough. Looking at other people's goals, I also often feel I'm not doing enough challenge goals, which is also not true. My goals are perfect for my current level, even though they are fewer in number and not as hard as many other people's goals. Also, having fewer goals that I all can complete before 10AM works best for me. So yeah, this is a bit of a mental struggle that I should work on, to accept that I'm different than others and that their approach doesn't work well for me.

• Like 4

On 1/10/2020 at 7:11 AM, Waanie said:

Lunch is mostly sandwiches for me.

I tend to default to sandwiches, too, mostly because they're easy and quick 😝

On 1/10/2020 at 7:11 AM, Waanie said:

Random rambling about goals:

Hide contents

I often feel that I'm not doing enough exercise, mostly because I don't even get close to 10k steps per day. Of course, I do exercise enough since I also do yoga, climbing, running and use my bike for transport. However, it's easier said than done to accept that I'm doing enough. Looking at other people's goals, I also often feel I'm not doing enough challenge goals, which is also not true. My goals are perfect for my current level, even though they are fewer in number and not as hard as many other people's goals. Also, having fewer goals that I all can complete before 10AM works best for me. So yeah, this is a bit of a mental struggle that I should work on, to accept that I'm different than others and that their approach doesn't work well for me.

I hear that. It's way better to do what works for you than trying to do something else that won't work at all, but it can be tough to keep that in perspective.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tateman said:

I can totally relate to that feeling of not doing enough.

You're one of the people I look up to ;). Your diet is seriously impressive, you run three times a week, used to get 10k steps per day and have a job, family and all on top of that. I know you're struggling with your weight, and over the past half year haven't achieved as much as you would have liked, but seriously, you ARE putting in so much more effort than I am.

47 minutes ago, bdwilson said:

I tend to default to sandwiches, too, mostly because they're easy and quick 😝

I hear that. It's way better to do what works for you than trying to do something else that won't work at all, but it can be tough to keep that in perspective.

Sandwiches are eaten by almost all Dutch people as lunch food. When I grew up, I didn't even realise that you could eat something different for lunch as well ^^.

And yeah, it's sometimes hard to keep perspective. I don't really have a reason to get out of bed every day (currently no work or other obligations), so that I'm doing as much as I am is already good. I will go for a job-interview on Wednesday (my first in almost 15 years), and hopefully I will have a cool job to fill my days with soon :P. Otherwise, I'll have to see which other companies in the area might fit me, and start to actually go job-hunting ;).

Today was climbing day, which was lots of fun. I'm starting to get my strength and technique back, although my endurance is still lacking. I almost finished a 5c again (but did all the steps), which was my highest level ever. One of the new routes also requires some pushing in angles I never encountered, namely pushing outward with your hands in front of your face, so I expect to be sore tomorrow. Yoga was better again, although I still think that yoga with Adrienne is too spiritual for me.

Just one day away from a perfect week!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

I will go for a job-interview on Wednesday (my first in almost 15 years), and hopefully I will have a cool job to fill my days with soon :P.

That's great! I'm rooting for you! 📣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bdwilson said:

That's great! I'm rooting for you! 📣

Thanks :). It still feels very unreal to me, as I got this interview through a contact of a contact of a contact (where each link knows each other very well), and suddenly things move very quickly. I'm now in the half-panic mode of thinking of what I need to prepare. I'm going to try out some outfits today to see if they are on the right side of business casual, and start thinking of what I'm actually good at :P.

Week 1 went very well: I scored 7/7 on all my goals, did the first 3 runs of my c25k schedule, and climbed twice. Mentally I'm also doing better now that I know that my CV indicates I'm good enough to at least get job interviews. And I have a new winter jacket, which was a "I should get a new one"-issue for a few years as well. Lastly, I finished Advent of Code 2019 without too much trouble, although my datastructures of the last day I did (day 18) are still a mess: why use classes if you can use dictionaries with complicated tuples as keys ;)?

Anyway, time for week 2!

• Like 4

Fantastic week one! 😃

20 hours ago, Waanie said:

start thinking of what I'm actually good at

😝 I hate that part of the process, but you got this 😃

• Like 1

Congrats on landing a job interview and such a great first week. So excited for you and sending you all the good vibes!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, Waanie said:

You're one of the people I look up to ;). Your diet is seriously impressive, you run three times a week, used to get 10k steps per day and have a job, family and all on top of that. I know you're struggling with your weight, and over the past half year haven't achieved as much as you would have liked, but seriously, you ARE putting in so much more effort than I am.

Thanks :) Though I don't have a current paying job. My job right now is house Dad haha. Money is super tight, so I'm going to have to figure out something here in the very near future.

Good luck on the interview. I was laid off in 2010. My youngest was born in 2011. So it has worked out that I was able to be the stay at home Dad. The downside is now I get anxiety thinking about trying to go get a job. Any of my IT skills are 10 years old. That is like super ancient days in terms of the computer industry ;) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Fantastic week one! 😃

😝 I hate that part of the process, but you got this 😃

It's terrible, and I have no idea what else I should prepare. I'm getting more and more nervous, and it's starting to eat my energy, but I think I should be fine.

10 hours ago, J3NN said:

Congrats on landing a job interview and such a great first week. So excited for you and sending you all the good vibes!

Thanks :). It's still a bit surreal, as I hadn't really started looking for a job yet in my mind, just some networking-things, and suddenly job-interview. I hope I'll be able to convey all the good vibes ;).

8 hours ago, Tateman said:

Thanks :) Though I don't have a current paying job. My job right now is house Dad haha. Money is super tight, so I'm going to have to figure out something here in the very near future.

Good luck on the interview. I was laid off in 2010. My youngest was born in 2011. So it has worked out that I was able to be the stay at home Dad. The downside is now I get anxiety thinking about trying to go get a job. Any of my IT skills are 10 years old. That is like super ancient days in terms of the computer industry ;) 

On the one hand it's super ancient, on the other hand I've heard that there's a huge shortage of competent programmers in the US. You'll probably don't know any of the modern frameworks, but at least you know the basics. If you were in another position than programmer, it might cost even less time to adapt? You're also an adult, so you're less idealistic and more realistic in dealing with other people than the starters. Working conditions are very different in the US than in NL though, so I'm not sure if you could jump right in a full-time programming job from working zero hours, you're the only one who could judge that. To reduce the anxiety, you could look at some of the job openings that you would like to be able to do, and start practising the skills they require. I gained a lot of confidence by talking to a recruiter from a temporary employment agency, who was very happy with my background and helped me to get a clearer view. Maybe you can do an interview somewhere where you don't really want the job, just to practice? Applying the 20 seconds of courage strategy worked very well for me here. Anyway, good luck in figuring out a plan!

• Like 2

This week I'm a bit more laid back fitness-wise. Yesterday I spent a lot of time with my clarinet (my teacher helped me choose a new mouthpiece, so my sound is much nicer now!), and also with tidying and cleaning the house. For the first time in forever, I have the feeling that my house is okay in terms of tidiness and cleanliness, as long as I don't open drawers.

Today there were guys over to fix the leakage. Unfortunately, they could not find it, so they will need to return when the weather is dry. Joy...

I decided to have a slow day today, so I'm basically sitting on the couch reading with a cat in my lap. I did go for a short walk outside (I even found a moment when it was not raining) and did my yoga, but otherwise it's relaxed. I'm okay with that, since I know that I did a lot yesterday and I want to be my best tomorrow.

Week 2 update

Planning: 2/7

Yoga: 2/7

Outside: 2/7

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Waanie said:

For the first time in forever, I have the feeling that my house is okay in terms of tidiness and cleanliness

That is such a nice feeling! 

Little late on the goals reflection.. but I think many of us fall into the trap of having too many or too ambitious goals and then don't end up completing them. So kudos to you for being realistic I think. 

Also, good luck tomorrow! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Waanie said:

I decided to have a slow day today, so I'm basically sitting on the couch reading with a cat in my lap.

That's a fabulous way to spend a day :) 

• Like 2

I GOT THE JOB :D:D:D:D.

Week 2 report

I didn't have the focus to work on my fitness goals a lot last week, since I was busy being nervous for my job interviews (somehow, being nervous takes more time than actually preparing). I did climb twice though, which also counts for something at least.

Planning: 5.5/7 (Saturday I planned during the afternoon, no planning on Sunday)

Yoga: 6/7 (not on Saturday)

Outside: 6/7 (not on Sunday)

Now that I know that I got the job, this week it's probably easier to keep to a my goals :).

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 2

On 1/20/2020 at 5:16 PM, Whisper said:

Congratulations! 

happy new year smiling GIF

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's awesome, congratulations :)

Thanks guys :D.

Tonight I'm going to celebrate it by making a tapas dinner for me and my boyfriend :). After making a plan and getting the groceries I'm alternating between thinking I got way too much (you should see the stack of groceries!) and thinking I'm not making enough (only 7 dishes + small dessert :P). I'm staying home for the rest of the day, and will try to do some decluttering and cleaning. Does anyone have tips for good, happy cleaning music?

For yoga, I decided to stop with the current Yoga with Adrienne challenge, as my tolerance for spirituality for the month has been reached. So now I'm going to do some random youtube stuff ^^.

The rest of the week will be busy, which is fine because now that I have a job to look forward to, I feel like I'm having vacation instead of just sitting home killing time. I'm really looking forward to starting my new job as well :).

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, Waanie said:

Congratulations!!! That's fantastic!

5 hours ago, Waanie said:

Tonight I'm going to celebrate it by making a tapas dinner for me and my boyfriend :).

Excellent plan 😃

5 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm staying home for the rest of the day, and will try to do some decluttering and cleaning. Does anyone have tips for good, happy cleaning music?

I've got nothin', but I'm going to listen in to any suggestions you get!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Congratulations!!! That's fantastic!

Excellent plan 😃

The tapas turned out amazing, I'm very glad I made them:

Spoiler

L39AY5w.jpg

Top-left to bottom-right:

plain bread, stuffed mushrooms, aioli (premade), roasted tomatoes, aubergine rolls, olives with feta and paprika, chorizo in red wine, braised potatoes, chicken bites

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:42 AM, Waanie said:

So late to the game but so happy for you, congratulations!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, KB Girl said:

You can never have enough notebooks ;)

Never.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:16 AM, Waanie said:

I just need a pencil sharpener all the time, otherwise I can't write small enough to fit all my tasks in the space :P.

I'm all about the pencil sharpeners! Love me a few nice ones lying around

On 1/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, KB Girl said:

I can really recommend the micron fineliners, I use the 005 when I really want to write tiny. 

So second!

On 1/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, Waanie said:

I GOT THE JOB :D:D:D:D

Congrats! The tapas looked awesome, great way to celebrate!

• Like 1