Waanie reboots

Waanie

Whoops, I disappeared for almost a week... Additional goal, check in more ;).

On 1/23/2020 at 2:40 AM, Whisper said:

Looks yummy!

On 1/23/2020 at 5:04 PM, bdwilson said:

Oh my gosh, that looks delicious!

Thanks! it was great :D. I will repeat a few of them when cooking with friends this weekend. The theme is "five or less", so I interpret that as making five tapas of at most five ingredients each ;). The trick this time is doing something excessive, while still maintaining that all dishes have at most 5 ingredients. I'm curious what others will come up with, I heard something about someone representing all numbers 0-5 through meals... It will be great :P.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:05 AM, J3NN said:

So late to the game but so happy for you, congratulations!

On 1/24/2020 at 3:37 PM, Rookie said:

Congrats again Waanie ❤️

On 1/24/2020 at 3:52 PM, RedStone said:

Congrats! The tapas looked awesome, great way to celebrate!

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! Last year was disastrous (although I did finish my PhD), let's make this year great :D.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:52 PM, RedStone said:

Never.

I'm all about the pencil sharpeners! Love me a few nice ones lying around

So second!

I love working on paper for notes, and I have pencils and sharpeners literally everywhere ^_^. I don't understand  the people who prefer to make their todo-lists in notepad++ instead on a physical notepad.

Last week before my job starts! I don't know exactly what I want to do with my week, but at least I'm getting up at 7AM every day to get into the rhythm already. I don't know if there is a proper way to prepare for my first regular job (not that the PhD wasn't a job, but it didn't managers with regular behaviour), so I'm going for just having fun this week. My exercise last week still wasn't up to par, for no obvious reason, but I don't want to prioritise any particular thing this week. The weather will be terrible for hiking anyway. I'm looking forward to starting my new job, although I'm also a bit nervous.

Last weekend we had a concert with the orchestra, which was fun :). I offered to be one of the helpers during the setup in the afternoon, which meant lots of lunging/squatting for laying down the floor, carrying stuff and generally lots of functional exercise (constructing scaffolding is fun!). This is the kind of things that I want to be strong for, and I didn't feel limited by anything but my height at all. Otherwise the second half of last week was quiet, and filled with doing paperwork and other chores I want to have out of the way before next week.

Week 3 report

Daily plan 7/7

Yoga 5/7

Outside 7/7

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Waanie said:

Last week before my job starts! I don't know exactly what I want to do with my week, but at least I'm getting up at 7AM every day to get into the rhythm already. I don't know if there is a proper way to prepare for my first regular job (not that the PhD wasn't a job, but it didn't managers with regular behaviour), so I'm going for just having fun this week. My exercise last week still wasn't up to par, for no obvious reason, but I don't want to prioritise any particular thing this week. The weather will be terrible for hiking anyway. I'm looking forward to starting my new job, although I'm also a bit nervous.

I hope you enjoy your week! :)

• Like 1

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | Current

On 1/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, Rookie said:

I too need to do another car clean out even though I feel I just did one... but that is a job for spring! 

It sometimes feels like I have clutter literally everywhere! I now had a good excuse to declutter, since the garage people need to check the frame and leave the car neatly vacuumed.

11 hours ago, bdwilson said:

I hope you enjoy your week! :)

I'm enjoying it, although I'd rather have started working already ;). The weather is terrible, so not a lot of walking for me, and I'm kinda bored sitting at home. I know I can do certain things, but it all feels so pointless, even if I know it's not.

Yesterday I didn't get my yoga in, more out of laziness than anything else. Today was better, and since I started reading "getting things done", I'm now doing all those tiny little things that come up in my mind that take only very little time. I'm being pro-active in organising meeting times with people, I'm getting up to date with sorting out all my administration, etc. My house is still cluttered like crazy (it's all in drawers, so you barely see it :P), but I feel somewhat more in control than I did last week. The next few days are going to be busy, with lots of shopping, cleaning and meal-prepping, but I think all will be fine :).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bdwilson said:

That's fantastic! I hope the weather held out for you :) 

Thanks! Yesterday the weather did hold, so I could do my shopping without getting wet :).

My yoga is now usually a 10-minute morning practice that Youtube recommends, and it works well for me :). I'm not sure yet though how I'm going to organise my yoga next week, I think I will just give myself a lot of leeway there. It's okay to drop everything else during my first weeks at work.

Climbing yesterday just didn't go well, so my climbing partner and I quickly decided to just catch up and chat for a while. It happens, and it's okay (mostly). This weekend I'm going to skip climbing since we're meeting with friends, so I'll have a lot of "getting back into it" to do in the next few weeks... Oh well.

• Like 3
On 2/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, Rookie said:

Sounds like a good plan Waanie :) and it's smart to expect less from yourself while you are starting work. I always find myself exhausted with such a change. And I have total faith you will get right back into it when you are ready

13 hours ago, bdwilson said:

^ all of this :) 

Thanks guys :). It's hard to not set the bar too high for myself, both in my expectations for what I think I should be able to do at work, as with combining work and life. Keeping it slow and steady should be my mantra ;). Fortunately my boyfriend is very good at grounding me, which is really helpful in changeful times. I'm still excited, and I think this is very close to the perfect job at this stage of my career with my history. Fingers crossed that reality matches my expectations!

This weekend we had a big cooking-party-thing at a friend's place at the other side of the country (a 2 hour drive), and combined it with visiting some family that's living close there. It was fun, it was nice to see everyone again, and good distraction from getting nervous for work. I still have to do yoga today, but at least I got a lot of walking in during the past two days. Tomorrow I will bike to work, and if the weather holds I'll keep biking, so I will increase my amount of exercise hopefully as well.

My meal-plan for next week is finished, tomorrow's food (chili) is even in the fridge already, I made muffins and burritos for snacks and breakfast, and bought significant amounts of almonds, bananas and apples. Let the week begin!

• Like 2
On 2/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, Rookie said:

Hahaha can't wait to hear how today went :P Sounds like you started with lots of energy. I agree with your cat though ;) nap-time

On 2/4/2020 at 4:51 AM, bdwilson said:

I hope you had a great day!

It went very well :). I still have a lot to learn and of course I'm exhausted after absorbing so much information, but I really like the colleagues and the work I'll be doing. Today is my day off, so I can take a short break before going 100% again.

This week I'm more or less dropping my challenge; I don't have the mental energy to do yoga on working days, and those days consist of working and then seeing if I can do anything at all. It will be better after everything settles down a bit and I'll get used to it. Tuesday was already better than Monday in that sense, and I'm always tired just after big changes in my life. I will keep my challenge on Wednesday (today) and in the weekend, although I won't be very active during either.

Food and bike commuting are going well. Monday's food (chili) was already in the fridge, and yesterday my boyfriend did the 15 minutes of cooking. I ate more during the day than I really expected, but with more than 7k steps and almost an hour of biking each day, it's okay to eat a bit more. I'm still planning to mostly bike-commute, mostly because I have the attention span of a goldfish on the way back. Going by car would be faster, but I wouldn't want to cause any accidents. With biking, I barely have to pay attention to traffic at all.

Today is a sunny day, so I should at least go for a walk, and I have my clarinet lesson, but otherwise it's okay to launch on the sofa with my cats ;).

• Like 3
On 2/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, KB Girl said:

Are you working 4 days? 

Glad you had a good first two days :)

Thanks! I'm indeed working 4 days per week :).

On 2/7/2020 at 5:31 PM, bdwilson said:

Yay! I'm glad it went so well.

Stepping back while you get used to things is a good idea :) 

Thanks!

Last week I decided to just drop almost everything that's not work in order to conserve energy, and I must say that I'm now already feeling more energetic. The funny thing is that I feel like I'm now also still recovering from my last tinges of burnout, instead of making it worse. I'm really glad that it's going so well, I feel better than I have in a long time :D.

Anyway, I completely dropped the challenge last week, which is fine by me. I did bike to work all days, so at least I got almost an hour of exercise in 4 days last week and already 2 days this week. Surprisingly, I now also eat way more fruit than before, and I also snack more healthily. It's possible I eat more calories now than before, so we'll have to see what my weight does over the next few weeks.

I'm not sure if I should do a next challenge, as I haven't found a place to fit in fitness stuff in my rhythm yet.

• Like 1