Hi all -- like many of you, I go back-and-forth in my commitment to a healthy lifestyle and my own fitness. My relationship with this stuff is difficult and prone to negativity. I used to live in a place where motivating to exercise was a lot easier thanks to access to the outdoors (and activities i loved!), but that won't be my life again for a while.

So, I'm trying something I've never tried -- public accountability and community! I'm hoping this forum can help keep this journey fun and effective, and continue to be a source of motivation and inspiration. I have a lot of major life events coming up, and it's time to get serious about my mental and physical health.

In this spirit, i'm sharing my big why: I'm a positive person weighed down by depression, and I've seen that CBT can help address my symptoms. So, I know that undertaking fitness-promoting behaviors is the best way to promote the positive thoughts and emotions I need to live consistent with my values. I want, more than anything, to live a value-driven life.

Here goes nothing!

• Like 6
On 1/6/2020 at 6:43 PM, clumsylion said:

I'm a positive person weighed down by depression, and I've seen that CBT can help address my symptoms. So, I know that undertaking fitness-promoting behaviors is the best way to promote the positive thoughts and emotions I need to live consistent with my values. I want, more than anything, to live a value-driven life.

Here goes nothing!

Welcome! Living in accordance with your values is an excellent 'why'. I also found CBT super useful, and weightlifting has had a transformative effect on my mood and wellbeing. I hope you find the kind of sport or exercise that you love just as much. Good luck!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru