I guess I'm here. Howdy.

Goals:

* Home cooking 2x/day. This is to curb my eating out. I love Chick-fil-a and it's great for when I'm running late into work, but let's face it, it isn't that healthy.

* Bike at least twice. Preferably the trail with my mom because then I can get some good mileage in (we did 11 just before New Year).

* Lift heavy things. Even if that heavy thing is just me. Every other day minimum. Anything counts if I do 5+ reps of it.

* Finish a book for once. I'd like to get in one chapter a day. This is actually doable now that I'm probably only working this semester (my university where I just transferred apparently lost my transcripts from when I applied so that's nice 😑). 

* Less negativity. Okay this one is very subjective but I've had this niggling feeling lately that I spew negativity.  Some of it comes from my home life (my grandmother is a very negative person and my mom unloads on me a lot about her). A co-worker recently told me that I like to complain... and she's not wrong. I unload on my best friend all the time on Facebook and I hate it every time I do it. I'm not aiming to be a ray of sunshine, just more conscious of my attitude. Less cynicism. More constructive outlets. That sort of thing.

• Like 3

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

I think I'll have to adjust the eating goals. Idk, eating can be very subjective. Like what if "home cooking" one night is actually just air frying some wings we got at BJs? (Not that I eat wings but that's beside the point.)

@Anim07734 I started Panic in Level 4 by Richard Preston before New Years and the first chapter (which was about pi) was about 55 pages not including the preface which I also read. 😂 The next chapter, which so far is about Asian aphid-like bugs practically destroying eastern hemlock trees in the States, is only about 22 pages. I also have Farewell to Manzanar sitting on my desk, I have about 6 chapters of that left and they're pretty short.

• Like 2

Yeah, cooking twice a day can become a lot of work.  What about prepping multiple meals, so they just need to be cooked/warmed when you're ready to eat?  Depending on your tastes, it can be anything from "here's a stew/casserole/etc I like, split into bowls I can microwave all week" to "I've got 2 meats and 4 sides split into servings and can pick which I want today."

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

It's also complicated by the fact that my snowbird grandmother is currently living with us and does most of the cooking. And she does the million side dishes thing too where if I want to take in leftovers I'm left either taking a bunch of small containers or a bunch of stuff mushed into one container (the taste of which varies...) or one normal size container that amounts to an absurd amount of the one side dish (e.g. 1 lb of collards or beets). So it's like by home cooking I meant stuff that was principally made at home. But I don't like the way it's worded.

The goal is curbing my eating out. The issue is coming up with an objective and quantifiable goal around it.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, Snickie said:

* Home cooking 2x/day. This is to curb my eating out. I love Chick-fil-a and it's great for when I'm running late into work, but let's face it, it isn't that healthy.

5 hours ago, Snickie said:

The goal is curbing my eating out. The issue is coming up with an objective and quantifiable goal around it.

Is the goal to lower the amount of money spent, or to hit general calorie/ macro goals? 

Following. :)

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

39 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Is the goal to lower the amount of money spent, or to hit general calorie/ macro goals? 

I think money spent is the major thing, health is a little more minor and factors in when the eating out is free i.e. "come to our event, we got free pizza!!!"

I just upgraded from state college to uni again which comes with more expensive classes and twice the gas, tolls, and wear/tear than previously. I'm also working a lot more hours per week this semester which is a huge help towards offsetting that.

My anticipated eating out schedule is something like:

* Monday lunch with my mom (she pays, I love her so much)

* Maybe also Tuesday afternoon since I have such a big gap that I hope to fill

* Thursday midmorning

* Saturday morning (chick-fil-a or breakfast diner)

* Saturday night (aforementioned free pizza)

• Like 2

For my challenges I usually use "home cooked meals" as the trigger.  That means eating a meal that was prepared at home (not just reheated take-out) but it didn't necessarily have to be cooked by me.  It also didn't matter if it was leftovers, as long as the meal was primarily stuff cooked at home

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

@WhiteGhost This is basically what I'm going for. Maybe I should set an "eating out" budget and try to adhere to that. The cheapest thing on my list is chick-fil-a. The place I'm most likely to overspend is at one of the colleges and that's pretty tempting if I don't want to eat the soup I brought (I don't lol).

As I type this I am currently eating a falafel wrap which I paid some $7 for, without fries or whatever normally comes with the meal.

• Like 1

Happy Monday! Here's my progress this week:

Food:

Tuesday (posted) was mostly good. I think I ate a few bagel chips but otherwise I pretty much stuck to home cooking. Made my own breakfast. Forget what I ate for lunch. Grandma made dinner.

Wednesday - dude I don't even remember. I know it was eggs for breakfast. I think lunch was leftover beef vegetable soup. Dinner had chicken drumsticks? Possibly also kale greens.

Thursday - eggs and tea for breakfast. Falafel wrap at the college for second breakfast/lunch. Then I ate my soup and a Larabar in the car before I left work and ate some orange cashew chicken my grandma made when I got home. I then ruined all of that by eating like three cookies at church.

Friday - half baked salmon for breakfast and a bit of the slaw grandma made Thursday night.  The office had Donut King so I ate a whole two doughnuts and also a cookie. Carrabba's catering for lunch - penne pomodoro, salad, chicken masala, and ofc bread. Dinner was a paleo beef stroganoff and I ate some broccoli with it.

Saturday - slaw for breakfast. Then Carrabba's bread and another doughnut because these doughnuts go stale slowly. Another cookie because I have no self control. Leftover orange cashew chicken. Vietnamese restaurant for dinner, grandma's treat: two shrimp garden rolls and a bowl of pho with all the beef toppings.

Sunday - Mom made a frittata (basically a quiche without the crust) with potatoes, green bell peppers, dill, maybe onion. I made sweet plantains and polished off the bag of bagel chips for lunch. Larabar for dinner on the way home from clarinet practice.

Lifting Heavy Things:

Tuesday I did 10 pairs of walking lunges for the Pokemon challenge.

Didn't do much else until Saturday when I did ten deep bodyweight squats and then tried shifting the weight over one foot and did that once for each foot and then I was done.

No biking this week - too darn hot.

Reading:

I did about two chapters on Monday and nothing since. And now I'm behind on my thermodynamics reading so that's fun.

Negativity:

This one is hard to quantify and hard to combat when the software at work is simply stupid (we just did an OS upgrade and as a result some of the software broke and the major part of my job at that office is ten times more time consuming than it needs to be because of error messages popping up all the time).

• Like 3

To-do this week:

* Catch up on Thermodynamics chapters 1 and 2 by Thursday

* Dog to vet for nail trim

* Schedule dad's CT scan

* Get car serviced

* Acquire a room or table for office hours

* Finish Panic (book)

* Mop the office of all the cat puke

* ????

* Profit!

• Like 3

On 1/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, Snickie said:

* Finish Panic (book)

* Mop the office of all the cat puke

* ????

* Profit!

That works well even if Panic is not a book. 

For negativity, would it help to pick a specific topic and try to knock out the negativity there? The work thing sounds pretty obnoxious, but uh... it's still working, I guess? You're not completely dead in the water.

• Like 1

On Saturday I learned that all my deadlines for Thermodynamics are on Friday night, not Sunday night, which means I'm now 40 points behind.

Ultrasound tech brought hummus and flatbread crisps to the office on Saturday so you can guess what I ate. When I'm at home or pack my lunch properly I eat well. It's the eating out. Wednesday I had a bagel from Panera (national bagel day, anyone?) and then went out on a platonic date to Culver's and ate ice cream and cheese curds. Friday I had Chick-fil-a for breakfast because my car wasn't going to be ready on time so I had the shuttle drop me off at Chick-fil-a and I walked to work from there.  Friday night I had some leftover eggnog. Worst thing yesterday was I ate some plantain chips I've been sitting on in my closet.

I didn't do much in the way of physical exercise this week. But I did check out the rec center at my new university, the one near my parking garage and I plan to start going this week (Thursday after class).

No biking this week. We thought it was going to rain yesterday and then it didn't rain until like 7pm. I ended up scrubbing my dad's office instead. Maybe we'll do some today but I doubt it - parents are seeing a movie after my dad's CT and also we just got a cold front and it's Florida cold (read: high in the 60s). Which should be perfect for biking but still.

I barely touched Panic this week. Did two chapters of Thermodynamics because that's what class I'm in. I only have one chapter to do this week so I'd like to finish Panic in the meantime. The next chapter is a 40-50 pager and involves the human genome so this ought to be good.

Over the past week or two my hearing has been... unbalanced? In varying ways. This has happened before, in high school, and it's like I'm hearing things at a slightly lower pitch in my left ear (quarter step at most) but also there's also a noise filter like I'm in an airplane (this seems to go back and forth between ears and might be dependent on which side I slept on the the night before). On the worst day I was also having a hard time keeping my Eustachian tube closed on the left side and so was having some major autophonia and I heard harmonics a few times which is very rare for me. It resolved itself on its own last time (of course

before my scheduled appointment with an ENT - everything was normal by then) so I'm not keen on seeing another doc for it... but it is annoying having everything sound like a bad record player that can't spin the disk at one speed.

To-do this week:

* Dad CT

* Two (mini) workouts before Thursday

* Bike in the cold weather

* Thermodynamics chapter 3

* Fix Thermodynamics Anki deck

* Thermodynamics math homework

* Finish Panic

* Empty and get rid of Parachute box

* Credit card application

* Switch to new black backpack

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Snickie said:

On Saturday I learned that all my deadlines for Thermodynamics are on Friday night, not Sunday night, which means I'm now 40 points behind.

Oof, ouch. That's an unwelcome surprise. Is that something you can bounce back from over the rest of the course?

I didn't do much in the way of physical exercise this week. But I did check out the rec center at my new university, the one near my parking garage and I plan to start going this week (Thursday after class).

No biking this week. We thought it was going to rain yesterday and then it didn't rain until like 7pm. I ended up scrubbing my dad's office instead. Maybe we'll do some today but I doubt it - parents are seeing a movie after my dad's CT and also we just got a cold front and it's Florida cold (read: high in the 60s). Which should be perfect for biking but still.

Iiiiiiiiiiii dunno.... scrubbing an office sounds like physical exercise. But cool that you have a rec center fairly close. What sort of things does it have that interest you? 

On the worst day I was also having a hard time keeping my Eustachian tube closed on the left side and so was having some major autophonia and I heard harmonics a few times which is very rare for me. It resolved itself on its own last time (of course before my scheduled appointment with an ENT - everything was normal by then) so I'm not keen on seeing another doc for it... but it is annoying having everything sound like a bad record player that can't spin the disk at one speed.

I had to look up what autophonia is but that sounds super annoying. Hope that clears up for you (because of course it would clear up right before a doctor's appointment, why are things never helpful?). 

11 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Oof, ouch. That's an unwelcome surprise. Is that something you can bounce back from over the rest of the course?

My A isn't in mortal danger yet. We'll see after the first test.

Iiiiiiiiiiii dunno.... scrubbing an office sounds like physical exercise. But cool that you have a rec center fairly close. What sort of things does it have that interest you? 

I mean, it is, but it wasn't what I had in mind for the day. 😅

Lol the rec center is at my university which is an hour's drive away. But it is complimentary to students so once a week isn't bad. Mostly I'll be there for the free weights. They also have swing dance classes on Wednesday nights which I would totally love to do again if I had a place to crash overnight on that side of town so I don't have to drive an extra two hours with not enough sleep in between. 

The rec center in my actual town near my actual house is supposed to be decent but meh. Idk.

autophonia

It is very annoying lol. It's not as bad today (presumably because I had a big omelet for breakfast). Right now the thing that gets me most is the minor pitch variation when I switch from one ear to the other (like headphones or turning my head while the grandfather clock is chiming) but it's really hard to describe or tell normally because I'm not actually hearing dissonant notes, only one part of each ear is vibrating, my brain is just perceiving each ear differently and that could either be brain related (I think unlikely) or there's a wall of wax mucking things up.

I've been digging wax out of my ear for the better part of the afternoon but I'm at the point where I just have to sleep on it and hope it drains some overnight.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to stick things up your ear. I got into the unfortunate habit of sticking a Q tip up my ears after my showers because not doing so often led to itchy ears as the water and wax drained or built up. I know it's BaAaAaAaD so I've been trying not to do it lately and I'm wondering if this stuff is the result of not doing it.

We actually had a random discussion on cleaning ears at dinner this past weekend, and the nurse in the group recommended Debrox.  Sounds like it might help you too.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I get massive amounts of wax buildup in my ears. When it gets unbearable I go to the clinic and get them rinsed out.   After that I am usually good for a year or so. Not sure if they can do that there but if so I highly recommend it

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Like I said before, I can't stand to have them build up so I regularly stick Q tips and sometimes something a little more scoop like when it's more wax than water or it's particularly itchy but. #it'sbadmkay Apparently doing so just pushes wax back into my eardrum or something. Literally We were on vacation and I asked my former-nurse friend for a Q tip and she's like "you're not going to stick that in your ears are you?" and I'm like "that's exactly what I'm going to do with it" and so I proceeded to ignore the lecture that followed. But let's just say I've never had to have wax professionally dug out of my ear. 

Does anyone remember that tv commercial product a few years ago that was basically a mini vacuum for your ears? Like it was supposed to pick up trapped wax and water after your shower or swimming or whatever, and I always wanted to know how they would manage to get it to pick up sticky wax (versus just the dry flaky wax they showed in the commercial which is common to Japanese folks and is also genetically tied to why the same people don't sweat nearly as much).

I hesitate to use chemicals to dissolve the wax since it's supposed to keep bugs and stuff out I guess. But thanks for the recommendation!

(My thread has become hijacked with earwax problems.)

(Shall I also recount the time I told my grandma her collards tasted like earwax?)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Snickie said:

I hesitate to use chemicals to dissolve the wax since it's supposed to keep bugs and stuff out I guess. But thanks for the recommendation!

You can just use a syringe to irrigate with water, that often deals with extra wax without the danger of pushing it further into the canal.

9 minutes ago, Snickie said:

Hey anyone want to suggest things for me to do tomorrow morning when I'm at the gym as a returning n00b?

I'd suggest going in with a list of exercises you'd like to try; no more than 10, but no fewer than 4. Ease yourself back into it, but don't just show up and wander around. ;) 

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

26 minutes ago, Defining said:

You can just use a syringe to irrigate with water, that often deals with extra wax without the danger of pushing it further into the canal.

^^^This.    You can try using warm water mixed with just a drop of dish soap

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

53 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Pullups! 

Lat pulldowns are at the top of my list. They'll tell me how far I am from a proper pull-up weight wise. :D

44 minutes ago, Defining said:

no more than 10, but no fewer than 4.

This is a good idea for numbers. Now to fill in the list.

I'm thinking

* lat pulldowns or assisted pull-up

* bench the bar (this was pretty hard a few years ago with a 40 lb bar and my pushup is not there right now)

* something for my hamstrings since they don't get a lot of attention I think

* maybe weighted leg presses (over my bodyweight since my squats are in an okay place right now) or just squats while holding a dumbbell

* Other stuff?

* Any recommendations for improving my deadlift without actually doing a deadlift (since this particular location doesn't have the equipment I guess for them)?

* I'm not a cardio junkie at all lol. If there's a spin machine open I might start with that.

13 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

You can try using warm water mixed with just a drop of dish soap

Lol okay but did you miss the part where half the reason I stick cotton swabs up my ears is to get rid of the water and wax after my showers? 😂

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Snickie said:

Hey anyone want to suggest things for me to do tomorrow morning when I'm at the gym as a returning n00b?

Maybe try some variations on the classics:

Pull up (pull) 

Pushup* (push) 

Squats (leg) 

Deadlift (hinge) 

* doing this instead of bench press will also add in some additional core work :)

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja